Menu

Would you wash these towels all in one load?

stephanier.1765

These are the towels that needed washing today:

bath/hand towels from master bath

kitchen towels

a bath towel used to soak up dog urine

rag used to dust furniture

All of them would fit in one load but is mixing of the bacteria a good move? I wash all towels on hot. If you wouldn't wash them together, what would you consider to be a safe combination?

We have dogs and cats and guinea pigs and towels that are used for various purposes with them. I never mix those with my good bath and kitchen towels. Dust rags are done with the animal towels. Mostly because of all the hair that is in them, as I use bleach so the bacteria isn't a problem. But I don't want nasty animal hair in my bath and kitchen towels and rags. 

• Like 1

No.

I always wash my kitchen towels and dish rags in their own load. I have plenty of them so I gather them in an old pillowcase until I have enough for a decent sized load.

I use microfiber cloths for dusting and cleaning and those also are done in a separate load (otherwise lint accumulating on them can be a problem). Again, I keep those in an old pillowcase until I have enough for a load.

The dog urine wouldn't bother me -- I'd throw that in with my regular load of towels, white socks and underwear. I'd use a bit of bleach as usual. ETA: When we had dogs that shed I always washed their towels separately due to the hair issue. Current dog sheds less than the humans do, so it's not a problem.

Edited by Pawz4me

I would wash the dog pee towel separately, to avoid getting pee residue on the rest of the laundry.

Me, too - a small load so I could add bleach to help kill germies.  Any pee or poo or vomit items here, no matter what mammal besmirched them, get their own washing just 'cause, ick.   But I would dry all the washed towels together.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

We don't have a pet so I'm just guessing that I would wash them all together. Maybe if I was worried about the pee one I would rinse it first. But I did cloth diapers in the wash and those came clean, so I'd assume pet urine would come out, too. If I was worried about bacteria mixing, then I'd be worried about the bacteria surviving period, so that would be a separate issue than washing together or not. 

No, I would wash them in three separate loads.

That's what my brain was telling me to do. To be honest, that's what I've usually done. However this time there was a little voice in my head telling me that I was being a germaphobe and that if I washed them all together nothing would kill me so I did. I guess time will only tell if it does. :001_smile: 

BTW, I apologize to any and everyone I tried to "like" today. Ever since I started using a Surface Pro, my likes don't work any more. :confused1: 

I don't know ... I spent a good chunk of yesterday wiping up cat vomit with old kitchen rags and old bath towels.  I threw them all in the trash as I used them.   :ack2:   

I'd wash the bath and kitchen stuff together.  Then, the urine and dust rag together.  But I'm assuming you used some kind of chemicals to dust with?  If not, then I'd throw the dust rags in with the bath and kitchen stuff.  

But it might also depend on how good a job your washer does.  Ours is old and doesn't do such a great job.

I never worry about bacteria.  It's the smell that grosses me out.  

Edited by 1234

These are the towels that needed washing today:

bath/hand towels from master bath

kitchen towels

a bath towel used to soak up dog urine

rag used to dust furniture

All of them would fit in one load but is mixing of the bacteria a good move? I wash all towels on hot. If you wouldn't wash them together, what would you consider to be a safe combination?

No.  I would not.

anything animal related gets a seperate wash.

My kitchen towels get a seperate wash because I bleach them.