Menu

How much are you paying for car insurance?

mommyoffive

Who do you have and how much are you paying?

Advice on an easy place to get quotes?  Or do I have to call each place? 

We have our home and cars with the same place, so I bet we get a bit of discount with it.  But I am thinking of shopping around to make sure we are not over paying. 

We currently have American Family 

Monthly Rates

2015 Honda Odyssey     $55 

2014 Nissan Sentra         $52

Edited by mommyoffive

We have Geico.  It's $471.50 (6 months).  Full coverage 100,000/300,000 level.  Roadside, but we did not opt for stuff like rental car.  For a 2013 kia soul and a 2014 kia soul.  We do have a discount for also using one of their partner insurance companies for home owners.

We had State Farm.  I hate them.  A lot.  Don't go with State Farm. They suck big fat hairy melons.  They screwed us royally with a mistake.  They "accidentally" cancelled coverage.  No joke.  It was a nightmare to deal with.  Our local agent was a big fat idiotic jerk. 

We had Geico years ago for many years and only went with State Farm to get the combined home/auto discount.  After the experiences I've had with State Farm though I regret it because Geico was always easy to work with. 

One factor that is at play with rates is your state.  When we moved from one state to another our rates dropped by $400 a year with the exact same coverage and exact same vehicles.  So giving you exact details of what we pay is only so helpful.

Most companies have on-line sites that do quotes.  You can get a quote with the major carriers within minutes.  I will warn that once you input your info people will be bugging the crud out of you with insurance stuff. 

100$ a month for two cars, one with primo top of the line, everything insurance for a brand new car, and the other with the minimum coverage. Geico. We used to have USAA but when we got our new car it worked out that Geico was slightly cheaper for the same coverage. That fluctuates. Next year USAA might be better.

I had Geico when I was single and had two incidents that I had to deal with them for. One was fine and the other was ridiculous.....but I think that had to do way more with the specific persona signed to that case than the company. And it did work out in the end.

Ugh. We have six drivers, four of whom are young males. You don't want to know what we pay. LoL

No kids driving here, $180/ six months for liability only on three vehicles with two adult drivers.  Rural midwest, though I'm not sure liability only insurance is affected by rural vs urban like comprehensive is.  

Kemper $350/mo.  

It was $150/mo.  $200 more per month for our new teen driver.

2004 Sequoia

2014 Prius

2014 Camry

I called about 8 companies.  I couldn't get any cheaper.

Oh my gosh!  I can't believe the rate increase with a teen.   My kids are never driving.  

Kemper $350/mo.  

It was $150/mo.  $200 more per month for our new teen driver.

2004 Sequoia

2014 Prius

2014 Camry

I called about 8 companies.  I couldn't get any cheaper.

Oh my gosh!  I can't believe the rate increase with a teen.   My kids are never driving.  

Yup.  Some people tell their teens they can't drive until they can pay half or all of their own insurance.  

My friends have a 1987 car for their teens and their insurance is much less, but they carry liability only.   

I am not sure what we pay, but we have USAA and they just quoted us $6000/year for our soon to be 16 year old son.  And that is with good student discount and drivers ed.

I always wondered why lots of boys his age aren't driving (or why their parents aren't pushing them to drive).  Now I know why.

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 4

We switched to Geico last year because DH ran a red light and got a ticket. American Family, who we had been with for over a decade, jumped our rate. 

We have a 2 2001 vehicles with liability only, and it costs a little less than $40 per month. We were paying $75 per month for the same coverage at AmFam. They wanted to raise it to $105 per month following the red light ticket.

American Family still has our house insurance, which I need to shop around. It's just getting the ooomph to do it...

$4000.00 per year. No Fault insurance in Michigan is terribly expensive, and because it is no fault, when the woman ran the stop sign at high speed while texting and nearly killed ds and I, the claim went against us for our expenses which caused our insurance to jump astronomically.

I am not sure what we pay, but we have USAA and they just quoted us $6000/year for our soon to be 16 year old son.  And that is with good student discount and drivers ed.

I always wondered why lots of boys his age aren't driving (or why their parents aren't pushing them to drive).  Now I know why.

Same here. We can't afford to insure teen drivers, and there are a lot of parents in that boat as well. When I was 16 it was just a forgone conclusion that except for the most irresponsible kids, parents would be licensing teens and giving them a used vehicle to drive. Soccer mom days were over.

Not now. And on top of that driver's training is not provided by the school but by driving schools which charge $500.00 per student so lower income parents get smacked with a double whammy.

My 15 year old moans about having to take the bus, but I say hey man at least you have some way to get around without me.  He thinks as soon as he gets a job he'll be able to afford to drive.  HAHAHAHA...hells no.

• Like 2

I am not sure what we pay, but we have USAA and they just quoted us $6000/year for our soon to be 16 year old son. And that is with good student discount and drivers ed.

I always wondered why lots of boys his age aren't driving (or why their parents aren't pushing them to drive). Now I know why.

We priced USAA which would have been cheaper for dh and me, but the extra for teen drivers? Forget it. We got the best rates from GEICO.

• Like 1

I am not sure what we pay, but we have USAA and they just quoted us $6000/year for our soon to be 16 year old son. And that is with good student discount and drivers ed.

I always wondered why lots of boys his age aren't driving (or why their parents aren't pushing them to drive). Now I know why.

We have USAA and pay 250 a month with 2 teen drivers (one only has a permit) and 2 adult drivers with full coverage.

• Like 1

We pay $950 every 6 months, (so $158 a month) for 100,000/300,000 coverage with $500 deductible on four cars. 

2004 Malibu

2010 Malibu

2011 Corvette

2015 Camry

Three drivers- me, dh, and our 22 year old son.  

It's probably going to double when dh retires and we relocate back to Georgia. Our agent says the rates there are much higher. 

We have American Family, and no accidents or tickets, but per the poster above, I sure hope it stays that way. 

We pay $950 every 6 months, (so $158 a month) for 100,000/300,000 coverage with $500 deductible on four cars. 

2004 Malibu

2010 Malibu

2011 Corvette

2015 Camry

Three drivers- me, dh, and our 22 year old son.  

It's probably going to double when dh retires and we relocate back to Georgia. Our agent says the rates there are much higher. 

We have American Family, and no accidents or tickets, but per the poster above, I sure hope it stays that way. 

This is something that I am glad you pointed out.  I had no idea that rates were different depending on where you lived.   Something to think about if we move.

• Like 2

Adding $6000 per year for your son?   That seems off.  I know adding young male drivers add a lot.  Ours went up $300 per year when our son was licensed.   He didn't get licensed till he was 18, so maybe it would have been more?   Still, 6K a year seems way more than I've ever heard.

• Like 1

I pay about $850/yr for pretty good coverage on a 2012 Mazda5. When I added my oldest, DS21(who just got his license in November), as an occasional driver, it doubled. He just bought his own car and got his own policy, liability only, and the bill came yesterday. It is $1799, due IN FULL by April 5th. That's going to wipe out his savings. He's a bit miffed.

$300 a month through Liberty Mutual. Full coverage on my car, pl/pd plus collision for dh's truck and replacement coverage for our truck camper and road side assistance. No teen drivers but we live in Michigan.

I've always heard Michigan car insurance is super expensive. Does it go up a lot more when you add a teen?  I can see why so many people there are uninsured...which of course just means higher rates for those who do have insurance. Boo!

Geico - 1,200/ 6 months  That covers 4 drivers including me, a 22 yr old male, a 19 year old female, and a 16 year old male- between us,  driving three cars. Two cars have liability only ( older cars bought by the two older kids) and one is 2010 with complete coverage.   The cost just went up when our 16 year old got his license and currently drives the newest car.  

Geico has been, far and away, the cheapest option for our family when we've lived in PA, MD, HI, and AK. 

We pay $86 per month for two drivers and two vehicles. Full coverage and roadside assistance on both. We're with State Farm and we do get a discount for our homeowner's insurance being with them as well. We also get a few safe driver discounts as we've had no accidents or tickets in over 10 years. Prior to that we were with Geico as they were the cheapest we could find but they couldn't beat our current price.

We have Geico. It's $471.50 (6 months). Full coverage 100,000/300,000 level. Roadside, but we did not opt for stuff like rental car. For a 2013 kia soul and a 2014 kia soul. We do have a discount for also using one of their partner insurance companies for home owners.

We had State Farm. I hate them. A lot. Don't go with State Farm. They suck big fat hairy melons. They screwed us royally with a mistake. They "accidentally" cancelled coverage. No joke. It was a nightmare to deal with. Our local agent was a big fat idiotic jerk.

We had Geico years ago for many years and only went with State Farm to get the combined home/auto discount. After the experiences I've had with State Farm though I regret it because Geico was always easy to work with.

I know you hate State Farm but I will tell you at the body shop my boss owns State Farm is always the easiest to deal with. I will never have anything besides State Farm now.

• Like 1

I know you hate State Farm but I will tell you at the body shop my boss owns State Farm is always the easiest to deal with. I will never have anything besides State Farm now.

I think the biggest problem was my local agent.  So I suppose I should say I hate my local agent.  But he does represent State Farm so by extension they suck as well.  LOL 

No kids driving here, $180/ six months for liability only on three vehicles with two adult drivers.  Rural midwest, though I'm not sure liability only insurance is affected by rural vs urban like comprehensive is.  

Well that was a useless response, what I meant to say:

Progressive is easy to quote online.  If they still do the gps big brother tracker or whatever they call it that plugs into your car and monitors your driving, that saved us about 15% off their quote when we switched.  

We have geico, I think. DH takes care of that particular bill.  We have 2014 Focus and a 2012 Leaf.  Our coverage is pretty close to maximum with a $500 deductible, required by the lenders.  We pay $140. We rent and do not receive any discounts for renters insurance (in fact it's through someone else).  We are about to add 2-3 teen drivers so expecting it to go WAY up. 

$4000.00 per year. No Fault insurance in Michigan is terribly expensive, and because it is no fault, when the woman ran the stop sign at high speed while texting and nearly killed ds and I, the claim went against us for our expenses which caused our insurance to jump astronomically.

I hate no fault so much. I was rear ended while at a complete stop at a red light. Vehicle was totaled. While it was clearly NOT my fault in any way, our insurance jumped and it was still listed on my driving record. It affected my job because I need a clean driving record for me work. The whole thing was a nightmare. No fault may have had good intentions but it penalizes good drivers.

I hate no fault so much. I was rear ended while at a complete stop at a red light. Vehicle was totaled. While it was clearly NOT my fault in any way, our insurance jumped and it was still listed on my driving record. It affected my job because I need a clean driving record for me work. The whole thing was a nightmare. No fault may have had good intentions but it penalizes good drivers.

Oh that's so wrong!!!!  Boo!!!

I didn't think that was what no fault insurance actually meant.  And how can you be faulted when you were in front of the other car?  Also makes no sense.