Menu

Weird Warm Winter

Katy

I know next week is going back into typical icy February, but as I'm sitting here with the windows open, wearing a tank top and maxi skirt and bare feet, the way I typically do in June, and I'm thinking climate change might be terrible for a lot of people, but at this moment it's quite pleasant for me.

Then I feel guilty for enjoying this.

Anybody else share these sentiments?

• Like 5

I do not feel guilty, plus it's temporary.  We have a major snowstorm on the way for the weekend.

But it's been absolutely wonderful to be able to wash the comforters and hang them outside to dry in the sunshine these past few days.  With the windows open, I've done some spring cleaning, and it will be delightful to not arrive at our real spring feeling all grungy and germ-ridden.  

• Like 1

I do not feel guilty, plus it's temporary.  We have a major snowstorm on the way for the weekend.

But it's been absolutely wonderful to be able to wash the comforters and hang them outside to dry in the sunshine these past few days.  With the windows open, I've done some spring cleaning, and it will be delightful to not arrive at our real spring feeling all grungy and germ-ridden.  

You just reminded me to wash a wool blanket in the basement and hang it outside to dry.  Thank you!

I hate it, because I suspect it's going to make it extremely hot this summer. My tulips and roses are blooming! I live in NC.

Same here.

I bet all our spring bulbs and flowers are going to pop out and then we'll get hit with a cold spell that will kill all of them. Strawberry farmers are worried--their plants are blooming and a hard cold snap will kill them. And they're worried that if it stays warm people aren't going to be in the mood to pick strawberries a month earlier than normal.

And I don't even want to think about what the summer might be like. Ugh.

• Like 4

It's been the best winter I can remember. Lots of snow and mild temps with almost no wind chill. I feel like I'm living in a totally different country, as this is far from a typical Canadian winter. I've been cross-country skiing daily, a little outdoor skating, and snowshoeing. I keep pinching myself thinking -20 C is just around the corner, but it hasn't happened yet. 

I hate it. I'm not a hot weather person, and I'm terrified of what this summer is going to look like. Plus, there are things blooming around here that shouldn't be yet, and let's face it, we could still have some winter weather. If we do, I don't even want to think about what that means for our spring flowers, not to mention our local orchards!

• Like 2

No......I'm grumpy I didn't get my winter.....everyone else in my family loves it :001_rolleyes:

This is me.  December was cold and snowy, and I was so excited for  "real winter".  What a joke that was - January & February have been warm and rainy!  That is NOT winter for the midwest.

My 12 yo ds wishes for actual snow to shovel, too.

Edited by Denise in IN
  • Like 3

Same here.

I bet all our spring bulbs and flowers are going to pop out and then we'll get hit with a cold spell that will kill all of them. Strawberry farmers are worried--their plants are blooming and a hard cold snap will kill them. And they're worried that if it stays warm people aren't going to be in the mood to pick strawberries a month earlier than normal.

And I don't even want to think about what the summer might be like. Ugh.

My blueberries are blooming and I remember them being killed by an untimely freeze in April! After accidentally digging up several hibernating toads, I saw one out a bit ago hopping around in a bit of a daze. Southern US here.

• Like 2

We've had a couple of big snowstorms, but also lots of warmer weather.  I am worried for my peach tree, it is buried all the way up the main trunk, but with the warmth I wonder about parasites and fungal infections.

My dh tells me that with climate change, we might well see warmer winters but more big snows here.

I have enjoyed the milder weather (makes it easier and more pleasant to sell Girl Scout cookies), but they are concerned about the local fruit trees. One local orchard lost the majority of their crop a few years ago with the warmer weather and those temps weren't anywhere near what we've had currently (just for a longer period). Hopefully the colder temps will return.

Logically I know this is important, but I will still be kinda sad to put all the layers back on. It did make for nice running weather.