Menu

How do you make vacations more relaxing for yourself?

mommyoffive

Once the kids are old enough, they are in day camp. If we're gone a week, they may only be in camp two or three times, but the few days of true relaxation are worth it. DH asked once why I didn't enjoy vacations and I told him. On vacation, I do everything I do at home, but with the added stress of an unfamiliar location. Since then, DH has made sure to budget two or three days kids' day camp where I don't need to worry about food, entertainment, or activities.

When we are together, I don't cook. Cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, and eating out or pizza for dinner.

• Like 4

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For us, over-scheduling or tight scheduling is the enemy of enjoyable vacations. Our first real family vacation was when ds was 8 and dd was 9. 

I took a list of options of activities. I have a vacation folder/book where I write out activities with their addresses, times of operation, prices, and whatever else is pertinent and would attach a coupon to the page. Then we play it by ear. (I actually enjoy the pre-vacation planning liking looking for coupons and investigating options etc. for my book.) If we didn't get to something -no big deal, we would be back next year.

We got lucky and found a great hotel at the obx. So each subsequent trip was at the same hotel. It had an indoor pool, is on the beach, has nice decks, a little swing/play area, and a big bird in the lobby named Sabrina. We always went during off peak season so that we could afford it and so that it was not as busy.

The kids each pack one bag with whatever to keep them busy during any down time. And we would get a little something new and exciting too like a new game or craft (packs of model magic etc.)

What made it great for me was not meal planning, prepping and clean-up. One night was the  pizza place, one night was eating out at a local place, one night would be 5 guys or fast food, and one night would be sandwiches in the room. Lunches were snackies, lunchables, or something from the microwave.

The kids love to go down to the lobby and talk to the bird. We hang out on the deck, enjoy the pool, night walk on the beach to look for crabs (I watch from the deck  :lol: ,or else dh would have to carry me...a crab chased me once and I never recovered). 

For me, not meeting anyone else's schedule, always returning to the same place (knowing what to expect), not having to deal with meals, and the general atmosphere of off season obx is what makes a relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

It sounds like people have different ideas of "relaxing."

To me it is not sitting around watching the grass grow.  It is doing something that is different from what I do at home, something interesting, enjoyable.  So, I can be happy in the city or in a remote area.  It's not about the place, necessarily. 

My husband and I used to camp. He finds it uncomfortable (back problems) now, and one of our kids hates it passionately, so that is out.  :-)   Here in PA, some of the state parks have very  nice cabins so we have found a good compromise there.  We stay in the woods, we have to bring our own food and everything else as if we were camping, but we have a comfortable place to stay.  I can have a lovely morning walk outside my door. We can cook on a regular stove or we can grill outside, or over a campfire.  It's wonderful.  We spent Thanksgiving at one last year, and we wish we'd started a tradition years ago. (I did not take a whole turkey, just some drumsticks and premade side dishes.)

Anyway, I can be equally happy in a big city as long as I can walk outside my hotel and see something interesting, even just city streets to walk.  Not having to use a car all the time is a plus for me.  Museums and other city sightseeing is wonderful.  Cafes for an afternoon coffee makes my vacation that much better.  So, staying in a motel along the interstate is not so fun, unless of course it's just a quick overnight  stop on the way to someplace good.   I'm not a big beach person unless it's a wild sort of beach, such as the Oregon or northern California coast.  Most of the places on the Jersey shore don't do much for me.  :-)  

Also, having enough room is important.  Once my kids hit the teen years, we started getting adjoining rooms if we are in a hotel.  The kids enjoy a little near-autonomy, and my husband and I enjoy the privacy.  Plus, two bathrooms, priceless. 

I prefer not to have to do a lot of cooking with the exception of the state park because, otherwise, we would not eat.  But we do keep it simple.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

It sounds like people have different ideas of "relaxing."

To me it is not sitting around watching the grass grow.  It is doing something that is different from what I do at home, something interesting, enjoyable.  So, I can be happy in the city or in a remote area.  It's not about the place, necessarily.    

Absolutely! And I suspect that maybe whether a person is more introverted or extroverted makes a bit of difference in this.

I, personally, get a great deal of anxiety planning for somewhere or something that I have not already done. I like knowing what to picture in my head, planning based on prior experience etc. I feel this makes me boring, but I accept it.  :lol:

If we had to go to a new place each time, I would be consumed with every decision...I would spend weeks researching hotels, their prices, their reviews, their locations, their amenities, I would study their pictures endlessly and freak out about deciding...because I'm a nut that way :tongue_smilie: .  

• Like 2

If we had to go to a new place each time, I would be consumed with every decision...I would spend weeks researching hotels, their prices, their reviews, their locations, their amenities, I would study their pictures endlessly and freak out about deciding...because I'm a nut that way :tongue_smilie: .  

This is me.  I don't like surprises.  I want to know the plans. 

But also I don't like too much planned in one day.  Last time we went to Germany part of the time we spent with my BIL.  He had like 10 things planned out a day.  I mean MAJOR things...like go to this place for a tour, followed by that restaurant, followed by a tour of that place nearby, followed by a soccer game, followed by dinner at that place with that thing to do, followed by a big mall, followed by him lecturing us about the history of every pothole in his city, followed by a bus ride so he can talk about the history of every lamp post.  And just when you are ready to tear your hair out with exhaustion, let's do a tour at that place while he points out the obvious.

I kept politely asking to cut back a bit on this stuff.  My politeness didn't work.  By the last day I outright refused to do anything else.  Literally  just said nope, I'm not doing that.  And he didn't get it. 

Traveling by myself.

Ok, looking back (kids grown now, vacations not in budget any longer) I would have insisted on more eating at restaurants or staying at motels with decent free breakfasts.  Having to try to "cook" (and shop for food and clean up afterwards, not to mention lugging boxes of food and pots/pans, coolers of food, etc) in motels NOT relaxing to me.  Either budget in more take-out/restaurant meals or agree everyone can eat pb&j at least once a day.

• Like 2

Where else besides Residence Inn? Oh, and it needs to offer at least a 1 bedroom, preferably two.

This past summer we stayed at a RI and it said one bedroom, I thought it would be like places we have stayed before. NOPE! It was TINY. Not a full kitchen, The LR had a place for a table for 2 (almost) and a sofa. The bedroom had a queen that you could barely walk around.

There were 5 of us, 3 teen boys and DH and me. It was very uncomfortable.

Dawn

We stayed in one for 3 months when we moved here. My experience is that yours was a studio and not the full bedroom. Sorry!

We schedule downtime so no one gets sick of crowds or lines.

Pick a suitable hotel or vrbo.

Eat out or cook simple in. Everyone helps so we all maximize fun if we are cooking in.

Travel at hours when traffic is not congested. Have food and water and gas in case of stopped highway.

I don't bring my kids. 

ETA: I like taking trips with my kids and exposing them (and me) to different cultures, historical sites, nature, etc..., but I wouldn't call it relaxing. Worthwhile, enriching, enjoyable, yes, but not relaxing.

Edited by rainbowmama
  • Like 1

On our last cruise, we had some rough waves, and one of my children got sick that night. But he still had a good time over all. You can buy motion sickness medicine ahead of time (Bonine), but if you forget, the cruise ships often will hand it out for free at the customer service desk. When DS felt ill, they gave us a big handful of pill packets. The medicine does make a difference. You can also buy wristbands that reduce motion sickness by pushing on a pressure point in the wrist. We have used those as well.

Cruises are my "easiest" vacations because all meals are done, itinerary, entertainment, Babysitting, etc. I don't get motion sick on a cruise ship. Most ships are so large that, unless there is bad weather, the motion is rocking, not bad. There are different cabin areas with less motion as well. The problem is the rooms are super tiny.

You could do a trial for a weekend cruise to see if it affects you.

ETA- tour groups are low stress too (everything planned), but I've never been on one with kids so I can't say for sure.

Edited by displace

Do you really find eating out with young kids more relaxing than cooking? I have not found restaurant meals in public particularly peaceful as a parent: entertaining the kids while waiting, making sure they find food they want to eat, waiting again, leaving right after the meal because they get restless and want to get up. Nope - restaurant meals with little kids count among my least relaxing experiences.

• Like 4

We went for our first all-inclusive vacation two years ago.  It was heavenly.  We're doing it again this year.  So much better than shopping, cooking, dishes, planning meals, etc.  Before that, we took beach vacations almost every year and it was so much work for me with all the food and three hungry boys who have very specific dietary preferences.  I love arriving at our destination and not having to think about everyone's food.

Drury Inn has free breakfast and dinner (things like hot dogs, mac n cheese, nachos, etc.)  They also have free alcoholic drinks during dinner as well as free popcorn/soda all evening.  Embassy Suites has free breakfast and a Manager's Reception with snacks in the afternoon.  

Edited by Erica H

Do you really find eating out with young kids more relaxing than cooking? .

It all depends on the child. Mine loved it, I could take them anywhere. had to cross some restaurants off the list because they tried to serve substandard foods to the children. I literally handed a pizza back to amanager as it wasn't cooked, left and went to McDs one time. Restaurant wasn't busy, right by Niagara Falls airport, and they wouldn't refund me. I did not take tghem to upscale restaurants Where we would be having several courses over a few hours.

Edited by Heigh Ho

Do you really find eating out with young kids more relaxing than cooking? I have not found restaurant meals in public particularly peaceful as a parent: entertaining the kids while waiting, making sure they find food they want to eat, waiting again, leaving right after the meal because they get restless and want to get up. Nope - restaurant meals with little kids count among my least relaxing experiences.

Eh..not when they were babies, but a bit older it wasn't too bad.  But we did stick to places that were more family friendly. 

• Like 1

We went for our first all-inclusive vacation two years ago.  It was heavenly.  We're doing it again this year.  So much better than shopping, cooking, dishes, planning meals, etc.  Before that, we took beach vacations almost every year and it was so much work for me with all the food and three hungry boys who have very specific dietary preferences.  

Drury Inn has free breakfast and dinner (things like hot dogs, mac n cheese, nachos, etc.)  They also have free alcoholic drinks during dinner as well as free popcorn/soda all evening.  Embassy Suites has free breakfast and a Manager's Reception with snacks in the afternoon.  

Good call on the Drury Inn and Embassy Suites having evening meals too. 

My dh keeps finding other ones that have these too as he travels a lot. 

I don't know about Drury Inn but Embassy Suites I have only seen the biggest room being 2 queens and a pull out.

Where do you do all inclusive? 

• Like 1

I go by myself.

In fact, just got back from a four day vacation a couple of weeks ago. All my other travel is with kids for sports competitions.

I have gone by myself for vacations (longest one was a week) for the last ten years. No guilt.

I admire you.  I haven't ever done that yet.  I don't know if I would love it or not?   I would love for dh and I to be able to go. 

At home eating out isn't more relaxing.  I would much rather be at home and let the kids do their things. 

On vacation in a little hotel room it is fine to go out and eat.   The baby being the only one who is hard at this age.  The kids are fine to color and play games and then eat. 

We don't drag the meals out for hours.  After we are done we get up and go.

• Like 1

Heck no. I'd buy food from a bakery and toss it into the back seat with them. The downside is that my car looks like it spent years containing toddlers who needed to pick the peas out of all the pasties to throw on the floor. 

When I had small, running away people, I needed another adult with me if we weren't going to be staying somewhere with a lockable door. Now, I can be ready to leave for a road trip in half an hour, providing the washing isn't all wet on the line.

Depends on a lot of things.  Temperament of the kid, for one thing.  And the type of restaurant.   And I'm not even sure what ages we are talking about. 

Once when our oldest was maybe a year old we attempted to eat at a very nice dinner house.  What a stupid mistake.  However, that child loved other places, particularly those with interesting light fixtures.  And one time we were served corn on the cob... we handed it to him and he was quiet and happy for the entire meal!   You can be sure we went back there again.  And he has loved corn ever since.  :-)  

Once the kids could look at books, we'd bring some along, or notebooks and crayons/pens.  I was never averse to bringing entertainment.   But we would reserve really nice places for nights we had a babysitter.  When on vacation, we didn't attempt nice quiet restaurants till the kids were in double digits, I think.  But I am not big on expensive quiet restaurants anyway.  :-)

Edited by marbel

I don't know about Drury Inn but Embassy Suites I have only seen the biggest room being 2 queens and a pull out.

We are going on our second Club Med trip this year.  We haven't been to the one in FL, but there is one there.  There are also some ranches that I know of in the Southwest and a few lake/family resorts I know of.  Maybe Vermont and New York?  I looked into them a couple of years ago, but they seemed to be better for families with younger kids and most of mine are older.  

While my kids were small, the only vacations that I considered actual vacations were beach rental houses ON the beach. Close enough that I could run in to the house for a diaper change or a child's nap but still be able to sit on the deck watching the dolphins . . . And close enough that I could holler from the deck for the kids . . . We ate all breakfasts and lunches at the house as well as 80% of the dinners. Once or twice a week we'd go out somewhere for dinner that we loved. As the kids got older, beach toys evolved from buckets and shovels up to kayaks and paddle boards . . . But the general idea is the same.

Those are STILL my favorite vacations. :) We spent a month at the beach every fall for a decade . . . can't do it anymore with college/etc schedules . . . but those were the BEST DOLLARS we've ever spent. BEST. I wouldn't trade one of those months for a whole heap of cash. They were precious. 

As a homeschooling family, you have the treat of being able to vacation off season when rates are lower and crowds are small. Our favorite spot is the FL gulf coast, which is divine in the fall. (Our MONTH rental would cost less than a week in the summer at the same house . . . and temps were in the 70s/80s instead of 90s/100s!)

Oh, also, I'd freeze dinners in advance, and stock the house with groceries at the outset (carefully planned to make sure we had plenty and didn't have to run to the store anytime soon). Lasagnas, casseroles, marinated meats, OAMC meals, etc . . . all made ahead of time for really simple and fast meal prep. And, of course, paper goods for snacks/etc other than main meals minimized clean up. 

• Like 2

Gosh, it's been a long time--but the last one I took that was overnight was nice up until DH came down with a cold. We had a cabin with a little kitchen. I brought things to cook, and I'd planned the meals, and prepped some things ahead of time. We enjoyed it so much we took a camper back there later with the boys. Same thing. I brought things to cook, and did most of the prep at home. I was ready. Other than the meals, the only thing on my docket to do was to sit back in my chair and read or write. We ended up taking a hike one day, and taking the boys to wade and swim in the river too. But nobody planned to do anything but relax. No agenda.

Now I take little one day trips (too many old animals with issues) and the same thing applies. We have lunch planned. It's simple. We pack it before we go. And we take whatever we want to relax. The boys often boat on the river or play in water, and DH and I just relax where we can watch. There is nothing else that must happen except the relaxing part. But we are easily amused, and the boys entertain themselves and each other without a whole lot of prompting. I think DH knows every road in the state, and he picks great routes, and enjoys letting me know where we are, and where he'd like to go the next time we are out. It's pretty relaxing.

Drury Suites hotels have 2 room suite with 2 queens in the bedroom and a pullout in the living room. They will also give you another cot (twin) in as well. It's the only place we've found that we don't need two rooms. We love them.

• Like 1

Back when my kids were young and my husband worked crazy long hours, what crushed my soul in the day-in day-out of ordinary life was the cooking, cleaning and driving.  Back then, I strongly preferred anywhere with a set meal schedule and no driving: we did family nature camp, AMC hiking camp, that sort of thing.  I'd happily trade 5-8 miles hiking with a kid on my back, for not having to cook or drive.

Now that they're old, my best relaxation strategy is to pack light.  Sooooo much lighter than we used to.  Sooooo much better.  Also now that they're old I usually try to get an apartment or condo or house so we can spread out and do different things.  These days cooking is not nearly the chore it used to be.

• Like 1

We don't take many vacations.

Restful for me is a house or condo at the beach.

Meals very simple, a few dinners out, lots of reading books, naps, long walks, a few adventures, not much driving once we are there.

A swing or hammock where I can hear and see the ocean us the best.

• Like 2

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh this brings back some memories. Dh and I took our then little son on a skiing vacation. We were all tired at the end of the day and opted to go to a "nice" restaurant. It was nice indeed - pressed white tablecoth, crystal china. I nearly fainted as we were led to our table. The staff was so wonderful. They brought a booster seat and paper and crayons. That lasted about 2 minutes. I was constantly worried that ds was going to knock some expensive crystal glass off the table.

Dinner was finally done - neither dh nor I remember what we ate :laugh:. Ds finished his meal first (he was NOT a picky eater but always dove right into his food) and dh and I hurried to finish up. Ds got a little bored and started to sing - in a candlelit restaurant - the ABC song, loudly and enthusiastically. I wanted to slip under the table. I was a young mother (approx 28), today I would just laugh and try to distract him. The wonderful, angelic and compassionate woman at the table immediately next to us began to smile at ds and joined him in singing.

I believe this was the last time we dined out in public until ds was at least ten. :lol:

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

We don't take many vacations.

Restful for me is a house or condo at the beach.

Meals very simple, a few dinners out, lots of reading books, naps, long walks, a few adventures, not much driving once we are there.

A swing or hammock where I can hear and see the ocean us the best.

You and I should plan a vacation together. :)  I live near the Pacific - about 2.5 hours driving time.

Fort Bragg, Noyo Harbor or Sea Ranch?  :lol:

• Like 1

I always did past the toddler phase. My kids are used to sitting at the table for at least and hour because we're just slooooow eaters in the habit of lingering and chatting after the meal. A restaurant doesn't keep them at the table longer (we make an effort not to hog the table excessively) but is saves me from cooking and clean up.

My most relaxing vacations are the little weekend excursions with my mom friends. Sharing a condo with other moms is soooooo relaxing. We cook or not as we feel like it. We dine out when the mood strikes. Nobody complains or expects me to take care of them. It's glorious. It's cheaper too because more than one bank account is paying for it.

• Like 1

Heck no. I'd buy food from a bakery and toss it into the back seat with them. The downside is that my car looks like it spent years containing toddlers who needed to pick the peas out of all the pasties to throw on the floor. 

When I had small, running away people, I needed another adult with me if we weren't going to be staying somewhere with a lockable door. Now, I can be ready to leave for a road trip in half an hour, providing the washing isn't all wet on the line.

What's a bakery?

:lol:

I am envious of all the bakeries in Germany.  Then again I'd probably weigh 5000 pounds if I had access to that all the time.  But mmmmm so delicious. 

• Like 1

What's a bakery?

:lol:

I am envious of all the bakeries in Germany.  Then again I'd probably weigh 5000 pounds if I had access to that all the time.  But mmmmm so delicious. 

Eh? But you have to have bakeries, otherwise you are stuck with servo (petrol station) food on road trips! 

Eh? But you have to have bakeries, otherwise you are stuck with servo (petrol station) food on road trips! 

Bakeries are not common.  You might find a pseudo bakery in a large grocery store.  Pseudo meaning they usually just take already made dough shipped in from elsewhere and bake it.  But they mostly make basic bread and sweets.  No savory pastry stuff.

But yes that is what you are generally stuck with.  Gas station food or fast food. 

Bakeries are not common.  You might find a pseudo bakery in a large grocery store.  Pseudo meaning they usually just take already made dough shipped in from elsewhere and bake it.  But they mostly make basic bread and sweets.  No savory pastry stuff.

But yes that is what you are generally stuck with.  Gas station food or fast food. 

Basically this - but a few exceptions like Panera Bread. They are a chain and I'm pretty sure their baking is prefab, too, but it is pretty good and our top food choice when we travel - alas, they don't have them in all states.

• Like 1

Basically this - but a few exceptions like Panera Bread. They are a chain and I'm pretty sure their baking is prefab, too, but it is pretty good and our top food choice when we travel - alas, they don't have them in all states.

It is prefab.  But yeah they have decent tasting bread. 

We've got one up the street.  Not low carb of course so I don't go often, but if we take a trip I often go for that among the typical fast food options.

You and I should plan a vacation together. :) I live near the Pacific - about 2.5 hours driving time.

Fort Bragg, Noyo Harbor or Sea Ranch? :lol:

That is looong way from Nashville! And the Pacific is cold! But I'll come to CA if you come to the Gulf the next year. We love 30-A in FL in the spring or fall!

• Like 1

While my kids were small, the only vacations that I considered actual vacations were beach rental houses ON the beach. Close enough that I could run in to the house for a diaper change or a child's nap but still be able to sit on the deck watching the dolphins . . . And close enough that I could holler from the deck for the kids . . . We ate all breakfasts and lunches at the house as well as 80% of the dinners. Once or twice a week we'd go out somewhere for dinner that we loved. As the kids got older, beach toys evolved from buckets and shovels up to kayaks and paddle boards . . . But the general idea is the same.

Those are STILL my favorite vacations. :) We spent a month at the beach every fall for a decade . . . can't do it anymore with college/etc schedules . . . but those were the BEST DOLLARS we've ever spent. BEST. I wouldn't trade one of those months for a whole heap of cash. They were precious. 

As a homeschooling family, you have the treat of being able to vacation off season when rates are lower and crowds are small. Our favorite spot is the FL gulf coast, which is divine in the fall. (Our MONTH rental would cost less than a week in the summer at the same house . . . and temps were in the 70s/80s instead of 90s/100s!)

Oh, also, I'd freeze dinners in advance, and stock the house with groceries at the outset (carefully planned to make sure we had plenty and didn't have to run to the store anytime soon). Lasagnas, casseroles, marinated meats, OAMC meals, etc . . . all made ahead of time for really simple and fast meal prep. And, of course, paper goods for snacks/etc other than main meals minimized clean up. 

Love this.

We were just in the FL gulf coast and thought it was so pretty.  I was thinking of spending a few weeks there in winter.   Where did you stay?

• Like 1

Love this.

We were just in the FL gulf coast and thought it was so pretty.  I was thinking of spending a few weeks there in winter.   Where did you stay?

St. George Island. The entire island is very nice, but we preferred either tip -- which are more sparsely developed, generally staying in the Plantation which is on the west end or, occasionally we stayed in the East End which is also lovely. Each end has its own pros/cons. :) The middle part of the island is more heavily developed (but still very low density compared to most beaches!!), but it is cheaper, too, if price is a big issue. 

VERY highly recommended if you like perfect beaches and few crowds. :)

In the winter, I'd choose a house with a hot tub. :) Some even have heated pools, but a hot tub would be enough for me. 

If you look hard, you can find houses that offer steeply discounted monthly rentals. Some monthly rates are about what 2 weeks would cost . . . Many houses offer monthly rates in Jan-Feb, and a few in the Fall. There were only a very few nice beach front houses that offered great monthly rates in October . . . so we always booked 12 months in advance, lol. But, in the winter, you'll have lots of choices. If you don't require being right on the beach, you'll have TONS of choices. 

My older two were really fun to take to restaurants past the diaper stage. My oldest is an adventurous eater and was always up for trying new things. We had a favorite sushi place where they knew her by name and taught her how to use chopsticks around 3-4. My son isn't adventurous, but he's pretty easy to make happy with something on the menu. Then we had #3. And #4. And the oldest is 13 and has decided to be unpleasant no matter where she is. So now, no, it's not pleasant, but neither is the planning, shopping, cooking while they run amok, cleaning up, them wanting something else as soon as I finish cleaning up... Basically I don't foresee enjoying anything for the next 16 years or so.

It is possible to make camping not cooking intense. When I go to the beach I stay at a state park. Breakfast is instant oatmeal. Just add water to the bowl and stir. I pack fruit and vegetables to cut up and cheese, peanut butter and jam and gf bread. I'll get ice at the camp store as needed. My kids are older and know that for a beach trip we are camping to save money so food is different. We can go with that for 3-4 days, which how long we stay at the beach. We may add in one brunch out.

Depending on space I might bring more stuff to actually prepare a cooked meal over a fire, but that's only if the mood hits me when I'm packing. Otherwise the focus is on beach stuff and bringing good sleeping pads. We bring books and games too.

Edited by Diana P.
  • Like 1

St. George Island. The entire island is very nice, but we preferred either tip -- which are more sparsely developed, generally staying in the Plantation which is on the west end or, occasionally we stayed in the East End which is also lovely. Each end has its own pros/cons. :) The middle part of the island is more heavily developed (but still very low density compared to most beaches!!), but it is cheaper, too, if price is a big issue. 

VERY highly recommended if you like perfect beaches and few crowds. :)

In the winter, I'd choose a house with a hot tub. :) Some even have heated pools, but a hot tub would be enough for me. 

If you look hard, you can find houses that offer steeply discounted monthly rentals. Some monthly rates are about what 2 weeks would cost . . . Many houses offer monthly rates in Jan-Feb, and a few in the Fall. There were only a very few nice beach front houses that offered great monthly rates in October . . . so we always booked 12 months in advance, lol. But, in the winter, you'll have lots of choices. If you don't require being right on the beach, you'll have TONS of choices. 

THanks I will look into this area.  

I would love to be down there and miss out on the gray days of winter. 

• Like 1

Well, we lost some clothes on a vacation and spent a lot of time trying to find them before they turned up on the last day of the trip, in which we changed hotels every night. So, the next trip when we would be changing hotels every night, each person picked an outfit per day, including socks/underwear. Then each outfit went into a gallon-sized plastic bag. I then put half of the bags in one large suitcase, and the other half in a different large suitcase. (Our clothes would not all fit in one suitcase.) When we checked into the new hotel, we would only take in the suitcase that held the next day's clothes. (We had toiletry items/pjs in an overnight bag that went in every night.) We also brought a big trash bag that the dirty clothes went into every night. It made mornings less stressful.

s/o Embassy Suites. We have stayed at one or two that had three/four beds and a pull-out couch. 

• Like 1

This is tragic!

Part of the fun of road trips is noting which brand of curry powder they use in the curry pies and the everlasting search for the perfect Neenish tart!  :crying:

And I aways thought road tripping the US would be all kinds of fun! (I'd throw in some hyperbole about how my whole life is ruined now, but I was never going to be able to afford to do it anyway, so it isn't really.)

I had to explain to DH that, while I love camping, I feel that it is more work for me than home. So I bought him a Dutch oven and cookbook and said he was in charge for some meals.

Non-camping, we often stay in rentals that have kitchens. We like the space and ability to eat in. But I insist on a lot of deli-type food so I'm not really "cooking". Think an AirBnB apartment in New York, with a kitchen, and we swung by the deli or Whole Foods every day to choose assorted items for breakfast and dinner. Reheating, cutting, and serving were my limits. And disposal/recyclable dishware preferred.

And I almost refuse to pick up after/pack anyone else.

• Like 1

There is no relaxing vacation with the ages of my children, but I still really like taking trips with them.  I just don't expect to relax.  Life looks the same - and perhaps a bit more chaotic - just in a different place.

Now, DH and I are taking a long weekend in April just the two of us for the first time since kids arrived, and THAT will be relaxing.  Heck, I could spend three nights in a hotel up the street and sleep, and I might consider that a vacation.  But I seriously cannot stop thinking about mornings without being woken up by tiny people wanting to eat, leisurely dinners (my kids are pretty good at dining out, but with the oldest not quite 4, leisurely is not in the cards yet), popping into random shops that look like they sell things that might break, and wandering through a museum or two.

Go alone...lol.  Actually that is my dream someday is to take a vacation all by myself.

The most relaxing one I've been on, since I haven't managed that yet, was the one I went on with dh this summer, without the kids.  It was wonderful...I didn't have to cook, clean, or listen to three differing opinions about what was fun and what was not.  

I love my kids, but in the 20 years I've been a parent I never had a single vacation with them that was relaxing, no matter the location.

• Like 2