Menu

Wrapping paper

Janeway

Frivolous post here...which is ok to have something on the light side.

How do you coordinate your wrapping paper?

I am headed back to the store to exchange my new wrapping paper because here is what I have...I have some light blue Elsa paper that I am putting some of daughter's presents in, some green paper with Santa on it, and some white with a red truck on it that has a tree in the bed of the truck. The rest of the paper that has not been opened is green or blue. And I have no red paper at all. It seems so redundant. So I am returning the blue and green new paper that hasn't been opened and picking up something with more variety. 

Silly? 

How do you all do your paper? All matching? Coordinating? 

Like I said..this might be the most light hearted post of the week.

Some years ago, I decided that I was tired of coordinating wrapping paper and dealing with a variety of holiday decorations. I decided to have a signature wrapping style, and be done with it.  Since then, I have only purchased kraft wrapping paper (which is wonderfully heavy and inexpensive) and basic white.  I keep a variety of lovely ribbons--silver, gold, and whatever strikes my fancy--usually a bright color, but sometimes a texture.

That is, until this year.... I found some hilarious cactus wrapping paper that I had to have, because Texas.

So, this year, I have under my tree presents in kraft paper, white paper, and cactus print.

• Like 2

I buy several coordinating papers on clearance after Christmas ... then use that :) usually the stores will have a theme to their colors (black bases or kraft bases or lots of emerald green or lots of lime green, I just pick one and run with whatever else I have the next year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I coordinated this year because I was all out of paper and had to buy from scratch.

I bought papers in these colors:

Shiny red

Shiny red with white Christmas phrases

Shiny gold with white Christmas phrases

Matte gold with silver and red reindeer

White, silver and gold ornaments pattern

Sounds like a lot but they came from the Dollar Store. It all looks great under my tree, all red and gold and shiny.

Santa brings presents in varying patterns of red, black, gray & white.

The concept of coordinating wrapping paper is foreign to me. I mean, I know people do it. 

But I am way to lazy for that. I buy wrapping paper. I use it for all gifts, those from Mom and Dad, siblings, Santa, whatever. We save what we can and it goes in the stocking stuffer wrapping pile (though, we don't call it that to the kids) if it's really small. Or the general pile to use again the next year.

• Like 1

I just buy whatever I think is cute.  When we were first married DH wanted to pick a theme for our family.  It was just the two of us and seemed a bit odd to me but I went along with it for a couple years and then gave up.  I got tired of reindeer wrapping paper.  This year DD helped me pick out the paper.  We got red metallic with penguins, silver metallic with reindeer, and some with sparkles and snow designs.  Most of the colors are red, silver, and white for our paper, but I don't really care if they coordinate.  I like the variety of wrapping paper under the tree.

• Like 3

I pick out cheap paper in a handful of different patterns and call it good. I don't generally do character themes unless there's Pooh paper. I generally stay away from Santa because we don't do Santa at all, but I like wreaths, snowmen, lights, trees, even angels or nativity scenes. I like traditional colors but also like some blue in with the green and red. Then I just sort of mix and pick what I want to use until the stuff is all wrapped. I often will pick one paper and wrap a gift for each child in that paper, then pick another paper and another round of gifts, etc. Very often the special gift for each child will be in one special paper.

• Like 2

I buy when it is cheap, but I only buy the shorter rolls that can fit in my Rubbermaid wrapping paper container. And they're the perfect fit for shirt boxes and most other boxes--the longer rolls may be good for large boxes, but we don't usually have those. I try to have a variety of colors. I know that I bought too much red-based paper at the end of last year, so I consciously bought other colors to fill in this year. I do like Hallmark paper--a little heavier and it has those nice gridlines for cutting on the back. They had buy 1 get 1 free in October--I'm going to remember that for next year. I try to not get too much metallic paper (but I usually do have 1 roll) because it can't be recycled.

I buy paper that is on sale after Christmas. Spending $1 after Christmas on a big roll that will get me through all my gifts for next year is ideal. Usually I have paper left over so there is always some variation in what presents look like. But I don't care one bit if it is coordinated or not. That is too much work for no one in this house to care.

We reuse wrapping paper. Presents get tied up with ribbons, not taped, as unpacking does not damage the paper. So, I have what I have on hand. I have not purchased paper in ten years.

Back then, I bought two different rolls for the two kids; the odd colored packages in different paper were for DH. I got sick and tired of that same paper after a decade. 

I try to use similar colors for one person - so the predominantly green packages are for person A, the predominantly blue ones for person B, and so on. That way, i don't need to stick labels on, which makes reusing the paper easier.

I use a different color for each family we are bringing gifts to.  It makes sorting all of the presents easier.  

I did have to purchase the holiday paper I found at Target with tacos and avocados on it.  Some of the tacos are wearing scarves.  I'm not quite sure what I'm using it for yet.  

• Like 2

We don't use much wrapping paper. Almost everything goes in reusable boxes and bags. I still use some fabric bags from when I was a kid, and newer ones last for years and years. Most are at least as old as DS.

A few years ago I tried the Kraft paper for presents that must get wrapped, but DH prefers prints so it didn't work out well. Whatever. We reuse most of it a couple of times anyway.

If the kids are with me, I let them each pick one so we end up with a couple of random character rolls. If they're not with me when I get them then I just get a couple of cute ones. I don't even attempt to coordinate in any way. It's usually bright, colorful, cartoon-y designs. 

I get separate paper for "santa" gifts. I always get a silvery one with either pretty swirls or glittery designs. 

I'm doing bags from the dollar store. No coordination.

I just saw a post about someone who saves paper bags throughout the year, decorates them and uses them as gift wrap.

We did this one year just with a roll of brown paper, not saved bags. I let DD (then about 5 or 6) paint and decorate a really long strip from a wide roll. After it dried we used it as the paper for extended family gifts. The grandma's loved it! 

We mostly (re)use gift bags. And we use whatever wrapping paper I bought last year ... and whatever is left from the year before that. I even have some bits of wedding gift paper that will get used this year. :tongue_smilie:  I don't like the pre-made bows but have used curling ribbon (the kind used with helium balloons) on some packages. I have 4 giant spools that I bought from Hobby Lobby about 15 years ago. And with the little that we use I think I've still got at least 2 more years' worth. 

Each of my kids gets their own paper - usually something they are into that year.  That way I don't have to label gifts, I can tell whose is whose by the paper.  This year we have slightly different emoji papers. 

Then we use the cheap generic rolls of paper for everyone else's gifts, along with the occasional gift bag.

I like variety under the tree. I tend to over buy wrapping paper. I like so much of it.

I think I have 10 rolls in the other room  :lol: . I have shiny silver with white reindeer, classy gold and silver snow flakes, kittens in scarves on red background, Christmas minions, Winnie the Pooh, Christmas plaid, an old fashioned looking tan with green, white, and red phrases (goes great with the green twine I bought), white background with ornate red/green ornaments, green background with photo-realistic snowmen in vignettes, and blue with snowflakes. There may be another one or two I am forgetting.

I clearly have an addiction. 

• Like 1

My Christmas decor is red, white and gold so I follow that. I buy a couple new rolls after Christmas and use what's left from that year next year. This year I saw some beautiful shiny navy with gold and silver reindeer so I added that. I mix the bows- so I'll use some navy bows/ribbon on some plain or sparkly red paper to tie the scheme together. I like pretty things!