Menu

New Gilmore Girls (SPOILERS!)

Hyacinth

For those who have seen the new episodes (or who don't mind reading spoilers).

So what did everyone think?

My opinions:

Rory with engaged Logan? Please. That was seriously disappointing! (I was never Team Logan though.)

Rory with a Wookiee? That came out of nowhere. I get that we're supposed to see Rory as all grown up or something but really? A one night stand and an affair? Bleh. (And are we supposed to think that maybe the Wookiee is the dad or was the timeline wrong for that? The episodes blurred for a bit for me.)

Lorelai. I'm bored with her. The surrogacy thing? Weird. It's like she and Luke NEVER communicate! Duh. The Wild thing was silly but I LOVED seeing Adam Braverman!

I really liked the Emily storyline.

Paris is an absolute hoot. Her career choice was goofy but she's a scene stealer and she always makes me laugh.

The town play was ridiculous. As was the Rory-getting-swept-up-by-the-rich-boys thing.

I enjoyed being back in Stars Hollow for the day (la la la la la la), but I don't need to visit again.

Oh! I also really liked seeing Mae Whitman and Carole King! Those were terrific and clever surprises.

ETA: Everyone aged so well! Stars Hollow is clearly good for the skin!

Edited by Hyacinth
  • Like 3

I have many many thoughts, but first, the cameos. I also loved seeing Lauren Graham's Parenthood co-stars. Her brother, her daughter, and her ex-boyfriend (Jason Ritter!).

Also, did you notice who was playing Emily's new maid??? I didn't notice and was shocked when I read about it in Facebook. It is Rose Abdoo, who also plays Gypsy.

While I really disliked the musical (it went on way too long), I did love the last song, sung by Sutton Foster, who played the lead role in another Amy Sherman-Palledino show, Bunheads.

Be back later for my thoughts on the plot lines, etc.

• Like 4

Ugh. My favorite things about entire revival was:

Paris' gorgeous gold and purple brioche knit scarf. I have already dug up who the designer was and bought the pattern.

The support cast of Stars Hollow, which I always thought made the show more than the Gilmore girls - they were wonderful. I especially loved Emily.

I thought Rory and Lorelei got dumber with age and were selfish twits in the revival. Logan - what an ass. Luke - there's got to be a better woman out there for that great guy. Dean - mixed. Couldn't tell if he was an ass or became a dedicated husband in what little they showed. Jess - great like his uncle Luke and I'm glad he isn't wasted on a Gilmore girl.

That "bringing it full circle" ended up with Yale educated Rory at 32 being just as broke and pregnant as her mother was at 16? Only added bonus that it's questionable she even knows who the father is? Just no.

• Like 3

I liked all the characters except Lorelei and Rory. Seriously, ending it with Rory pregnant. Does a college educated woman who apparently carries on an affair with an engaged man not know anything about birth control. And that lead up with her having a discussion with her dad about how he wasn't involved in her upbringing and Lorelei didn't let him be involved. It was as if she was getting permission to cut off the father of her child. Ugh. 

Emily was great. Paris was great. The various town characters were great. 

• Like 3

I liked all the characters except Lorelei and Rory. Seriously, ending it with Rory pregnant. Does a college educated woman who apparently carries on an affair with an engaged man not know anything about birth control. And that lead up with her having a discussion with her dad about how he wasn't involved in her upbringing and Lorelei didn't let him be involved. It was as if she was getting permission to cut off the father of her child. Ugh.

Emily was great. Paris was great. The various town characters were great.

All birth control has a failure rate, so I'm never surprised by people having sex ending up pregnant.

I felt the same about the convo with Christopher. And also, wasn't he an excuse making turd. Who cares what 16 yr old Lorelei wanted or how perfect he thought they looked together without him - he still should have stepped in bc he had a duty to give his daughter the father she needed. But hey, he was 16. Some forgiveness for age at the time and that he tried when he was older. But for crying out loud, Rory and her boyfriend(s) are in their THIRTIES - grow the hell up already.

• Like 3

Episodes 1 & 4 were ok. Gilmore girls-ish. Witty banter.

2 & 3 were just random filler. That musical? What was up with that?

Overall, I was disappointed in the storylines and relationship development. I guess I was hoping 10 years would add some maturity.

Eps 1 and 4 were written by Amy Sherman-Palledino. The other two were written by her husband. If you go back and look at the original series, her husband's episodes were always quirkier.

• Like 2

My thoughts...First, I was super mad about the ending. Like really, really mad. But after sleeping on it, I've calmed down a bit (lol). This was supposed to have been the original ending of the show. I think it would have worked much better for a 24 year old Rory than a 32 year old Rory, ya know? She showed absolutely no growth, which I found disappointing. I get the whole "full circle" thing, but I don't know why Rory needed to get pregnant. Why can't she just have her own experience???

I did love being back in Stars Hallow. Part of my love of GG is the quirky townies. They were great.

Loved Lorelei and Emily. The way they worked through their relationship and the way they processed Richard's death was great. And Emily was flawless.

Paris was fab! But I hated that she and Doyle are split. I thought that they had such a solid relationship...probably the best on the show. Was disappointed that they didn't work out.

I hated the musical, with the exception of the last song. I did enjoy all the cameos though (Sutton Foster in the musical and then All of Lauren Graham's Parenthood co-stars).

I loved the wedding at the end, but I honestly felt like Luke and Lorelei's relationship was pretty blah. There was no chemistry! I wanted to be rooting for them, but I just wasn't feeling it.

I know I sound like I hated it, but I really didn't. I think revivals are extremely hard to do because you can't go back in time and you will never meet everyone's expectations. I went in with lowish expectations, so I was happy with the overall content. I've even started watching the Winter again. I just love the Gilmore Girls!

• Like 5

Well, I really thought Winter was insanely bad and had already decided not to watch the others. Now that I've read the spoilers here, I'm glad I won't be wasting my time.

Why can they never just let a good thing go?

The whole idea of the revival (from what I've read) is that the creator Amy Sherman-Palledino left the show at the end of season 6. Supposedly she always knew exactly how she planned to end the series, down to the final four words. This revival gave her the opportunity to do that.

I thought it was disappointing. Some of it didn't seem to fit with the original.

I will say that I watched the original as it aired but I haven't rewatched on Netflix recently. It is possible I have matured a lot in the time that has passed so that can certainly explain why I see it differently. I definitely have matured more than the Gilmore girls!

I loved Emily and the cameos from Parenthood.

• Like 1

I thought it was disappointing. Some of it didn't seem to fit with the original.

I will say that I watched the original as it aired but I haven't rewatched on Netflix recently. It is possible I have matured a lot in the time that has passed so that can certainly explain why I see it differently. I definitely have matured more than the Gilmore girls!

I loved Emily and the cameos from Parenthood.

I'm currently watching the original and I agree--it just didn't fit.

Reminds me of Arrested Development. Recreating chemistry just doesn't work IMO.

• Like 1

This was supposed to have been the original ending of the show. I think it would have worked much better for a 24 year old Rory than a 32 year old Rory, ya know? She showed absolutely no growth, which I found disappointing. I get the whole "full circle" thing, but I don't know why Rory needed to get pregnant. Why can't she just have her own experience???

I know I sound like I hated it, but I really didn't. I think revivals are extremely hard to do because you can't go back in time and you will never meet everyone's expectations. I went in with lowish expectations, so I was happy with the overall content. I've even started watching the Winter again. I just love the Gilmore Girls!

I have to say, I actually think Rory will have her own experience that will be very different from her mother's. I think it will work out better for her and her child that she is 32, not 22. She is college educated, has the ability to earn a decent income, even if it's not her first job choice. She is writing a book, which I believe we are supposed to think that Gilmore Girls -the book- will be as well loved as Gilmore Girls -the tv show- is. So that's money in the bank and probably a good amount of publicity/notoriety as an author. Lorelei had none of that potential or even a high school diploma when she was pregnant.

Rory also has a great relationship with her mother and a great support system in place with her mom, Luke, her grandmother, Lane, Paris, and I would even say Jess (the looking at Rory through the window thing.) Lorelei was completely on her own in the begining.

I also think that if Rory didn't grow up much in the last ten years, this pregnancy will be the motivator to do just that. She will want to work hard to be an awesome mom like her own mother was to her.

Like you, I thought there were a bunch of eyeroll moments, but overall, I thought it was a solid revival. (Revival being the key word here.)

• Like 4

I have to say, I actually think Rory will have her own experience that will be very different from her mother's. I think it will work out better for her and her child that she is 32, not 22. She is college educated, has the ability to earn a decent income, even if it's not her first job choice. She is writing a book, which I believe we are supposed to think that Gilmore Girls -the book- will be as well loved as Gilmore Girls -the tv show- is. So that's money in the bank and probably a good amount of publicity/notoriety as an author. Lorelei had none of that potential or even a high school diploma when she was pregnant.

Rory also has a great relationship with her mother and a great support system in place with her mom, Luke, her grandmother, Lane, Paris, and I would even say Jess (the looking at Rory through the window thing.) Lorelei was completely on her own in the begining.

I also think that if Rory didn't grow up much in the last ten years, this pregnancy will be the motivator to do just that. She will want to work hard to be an awesome mom like her own mother was to her.

Like you, I thought there were a bunch of eyeroll moments, but overall, I thought it was a solid revival. (Revival being the key word here.)

Very true. It will be completely different for Rory, as you mentioned her relationships are different, etc. However, it seems like Rory was put into a spot where she became pregnant by a man who would likely not be supportive so she can become a single mother. I guess this is what ASP was going for. I just think that would have worked better with a 24 year old Rory rather than a 32 year old Rory. To me, this led to Rory having zero growth over the years. It's like ASP had an idea for where she wanted Rory to be at the end of the show and she still went with that, even though it's 9 years later. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

• Like 2

Very true. It will be completely different for Rory, as you mentioned her relationships are different, etc. However, it seems like Rory was put into a spot where she became pregnant by a man who would likely not be supportive so she can become a single mother. I guess this is what ASP was going for. I just think that would have worked better with a 24 year old Rory rather than a 32 year old Rory. To me, this led to Rory having zero growth over the years. It's like ASP had an idea for where she wanted Rory to be at the end of the show and she still went with that, even though it's 9 years later. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

What's so funny about all this discussion of fictional characters is I say all that about Rory as a person without a 4 year degree and had my first child at 24!

I'm one who liked it over all. 

It makes sense (something someone said above) about how this ending was supposed to originally happen with Rory at 24 years old, not 32.  So that's partially why it seems odd, but to me, it is the full circle ending.  Rory is pregnant without the father of the baby in her life (by her own choice; Logan probably would have come to her had she asked) and will move on and grow up through the experience. I think Jess could be her Luke, but they did leave that hanging.  I'm fine with things left hanging.  Life always leaves things hanging sometimes.   

If I'd had to have picked before the revival was released, I would have been "Team Logan." I thought they really did love each other when the series ended.  But that changed the second I saw that they were carrying on an affair behind the backs of significant others. Ick.

I had an inkling as soon as she said "3 o'clock? I'll be there" on the phone in the Winter Fall episode that she might be pregnant. I thought she was going to the doctor (even when the scene opened with Christopher, I thought she was sitting in the doctor's office awaiting test results).  As the scene played out with Christopher, though, I still only kinda got what she was getting at, but not fully -- not until after the ending and I'd processed a little bit. 

I read somewhere that someone wished the last four words were "I love you, mom" (Lorelai to Emily).  That would have been awesome, too, but wouldn't make sense with knowing that ASP had said she knew the final four words from the very beginning when she first conceived the idea of GG. I think in its initial stages, GG was about Lorelai and Rory and that the character of Emily probably developed over time. 

Related, though, I thought it was cool that it was Emily she called from Nature, California to tell that story about Richard. That was their full circle "I love you" moment. Lorelai made up for her thoughtless story telling at Richard's post-funeral gathering in a big and completing way. It would have been lovely if there'd been an "I'm proud of you" from Emily to Lorelai, not in that conversation but at some point, but that's one of the things we can imagine happens in the future based on the relationship and life arc they are both on. Maybe it happens later that day after the "real" wedding ceremony.  :)

Someone above mentioned being bummed that Doyle and Paris didn't stay together -- but even after all the scenes with Paris and Doyle were ended, that last phone call he made to Rory was from their family apartment in New York.  I think they stayed together.

That's all I can think of for now.  :)

Edited by milovany
  • Like 4

Yeah, I think Paris and Doyle were having a really low crappy time in their marriage, but I didn't get the sense that it was Over. They seem to be in that awful moment so many couples go through where they are struggling with still thinking they can have It All and not have to compromise anything to have it. Some don't make it through that. But I got the sense that Paris and Doyle just might after all.

Also, Paris admitted at the start that she didn't normally do the work they showed her doing anymore, but just for Lorelei who was "like a mother", she was coming in to work directly with her. I could totally see Paris doing that and if she were to work in that medical field, I think she would totally do it just like that too. Lol

• Like 1

I didn't like Rory's storyline much. She had SO much potential and is soo bright. But she had done nothing with her life. In two relationships, one with her engaged ex-boyfriend and one with a guy that they totally disrespect and she can't even remember to break up with him? What about Fez? I think a successful Rory would have been more satisfying. Maybe they couldn't make a story out of that and I know the most satisfying answer isn't always the story you get. 

I didn't like the town musical. It was a funny idea, but went on too long. Several of the scenes seemed to kind of drag on. I found myself bored a few times which is not typical for me with GG. 

Hated the cliff-hanger with Jess. Revealing that he definitely still has feelings for her in the last minutes with it going nowhere was a bit annoying. Unless they really are gearing up for a return to the show and it's supposed to give us something to latch onto next season. 

But she seems to care most for Logan, so why doesn't she just say so? I think he would abandon his engagement and be with her if she would just allow it instead of this "I want the fun but not the commitment" thing she has with him. She is the one who rejected him at the end of the regular series. Especially now with the pregnancy which I think has to be his. The wookie was too far back and she never actually gets together with Paul. 

I really missed having the opening song! 

But, all those complaints aside, I didn't hate it.

I loved the bit of return to the Life and Death Brigade, I thought it was kind of fun. I liked Paris, too. She's always been fun.

It was good getting to see everyone. I was surprised how many of the original stars they got back. I had heard Melissa McCarthy couldn't do it, so that was a fun surprise. I figured Jared Padelecki would be way too big for it, too. 

I was SOOOO excited to see Alex Kingston! She is my absolute favorite and I flew out of my seat when she appeared and just stared open mouthed for a minute. LOVE HER! It may have been a small role, but it still kind of made my day. 

Edited by Whovian10
  • Like 2

Rory's job and relationship issues made sense to me based on what I remember from the series.

She had trouble with her class load and adjusting to Yale, she drifts back into a "relationship" with married Dean, sleeps with him, fights with her mom, panics, and takes a free trip to Europe while ignoring her problems at home.

Told by Mitchum she doesn't have what it takes to be a journalist, steals a yacht, fights with her mom, drops out of school, and moves in with her grandparents and attempts to avoid dealing with any of her actual issues.

Has trouble getting steady work as a journalist, ends up in a "relationship" with an engaged ex, turns down an acceptable offer of employment from Chilton, ignores the website until she's desperate and then goes in with no preparation whatsoever expecting to be handed a job, and ends up deciding to crash back at home with some vague plan to figure things out.

I feel like she kind of crashes whenever she's faced with not succeeding the first time around and she has plenty of people who are willing to prop her up financially and otherwise, so it takes her awhile to realize the only way out of whatever rut she's in is to get her own ass in gear and work. 

• Like 5

I was also disappointed in Rory. I think things are coming full circle, and Logan is her Christopher and Jess is her Luke. However, I don't really want to see the same story played out again. I realize there will be some differences, but the same story is depressing.

What bugged me is Amy Sherman Palladino ignoring Season 7, except for things she couldn't ignore, like Lane's kids. Lorelai not remembering a good memory of her father didn't make sense after that touching speech he made at Rory's going away party in the Season 7 finale. What happened with Logan getting away from his father, and working in San Francisco? I was hoping Zach and Lane would have been more successful with their music, but his gig with the famous band was never mentioned. Rory's time on the Obama campaign was also never mentioned. I thought she would be more successful also. Lorelai and Luke were communicating at the end of Season 7, and now suddenly they don't talk? It's like you should go straight from Season 6 to Season 7, and you're still waiting on the characters to grow up. The problem is that I did watch Season 7, and it's nine years later. They should have matured by now. I know they need drama, but I think they could have come up with something better.

However, my expectations were low, and I enjoyed it overall. Although, count me in as one who wishes there had been less musical and more Lane/Mrs. Kim.

Edited by Leonana
  • Like 3

But she seems to care most for Logan, so why doesn't she just say so? I think he would abandon his engagement and be with her if she would just allow it instead of this "I want the fun but not the commitment" thing she has with him. She is the one who rejected him at the end of the regular series.

I think Rory flying out the door and being all excited/giggly with Jess (about her book) was an indicator that she could eventually return the feelings for him, too.  In one sense, I would hope Rory wouldn't WANT Logan knowing he'd cheat on someone he's engaged to (if he cheats on his fiancee, he'll likely cheat on his wife, too), but that goes both ways! Rory's a cheater, too.  I had been "team Logan" before the revival, but almost can't be "team Jess" now because of this.  Do I want someone who cheats so nonchalantly for Jess?  I don't know. 

And in the end, it's fiction and a story.  All movies/shows have an "after" that we never see.  I don't think we'll see any more. 

• Like 3

Are we supposed to assume that the baby is Logan's? Could it be that poor Paul's?

By my figuring it could be Paul, Logan or a Wookiee.

And I wouldn't wish that gal on Jess.

Just like I wouldn't wish Lorelei on Luke either.

I also don't think we will see more revivals/episodes. I think this is it. I'm actually glad about that. I was happy with the end last time and really wish I had not watched the revival episodes.

I haven't seen many people mention Carole King's attempt to get "I Feel the Earth Move" into the musical and having her efforts rebuffed by Taylor as "not catchy!" :D

I loved that part! This is the type of thing I've always loved about GG. The fun, quirky parts! I mean, the main plot lines are fine and interesting, but they have always had a bunch of problems. But this is fun!!! :)

• Like 2

If I'd had to have picked before the revival was released, I would have been "Team Logan." I thought they really did love each other when the series ended.  But that changed the second I saw that they were carrying on an affair behind the backs of significant others. Ick.

This.  C'mon, Rory was upset that Logan (back in the day) "cheated" on her during the time they were not speaking after a fight and he had thought they were broken up.  Now Rory KNOWS he is engaged and somehow is fine with shacking up with him?  Repeatedly?  I think Logan is a prime jerk in this, too.

I liked most of the New GG.  Just not Rory's arc, and I agree with others that there was a bit too much town musical (although Lorelai's expressions were priceless!)

I think they worked out the reason for Sookie missing adequately.  And fit her cameo in beautifully!  So Sookie!

Mr. Kim!!!!!!!

I am so not worried about Rory being a single mom - her dad is loaded. Her grandma is loaded. She gets along with her mom and Luke.  The father of her baby is loaded and throwing houses in Maine at her.   She will be fine.

Oh, and if money was left by Richard to help LUKE - then I am sure some was left for Rory and Lorelei, his actual blood relations. So L. needing to ask Emily for financial help at the end was only to set up the "you want money you come visit" scene. I am sure given L.'s financial expectations as a Gilmore once Emily passes, any bank is going to give her a loan stat. Plus she has a great asset now - the Dragonfly.

More thoughts - Rory may not be setting the world on fire as a journalist, but she graduated just before print newspapers started to die off as so many folks switched to on-line or televised news. And so many papers that do still exist in an on-line (and print) presence, have been swallowed up (Huntzburgered?) by conglomerates that then feed their own stories to all the smaller papers, instead of maintaining full staff for each. Look at the bylines of stories in your local papers. Most come from a bigger paper now. So Rory shouldn't have looked down on the teaching job at Chilton. True,it was not her dream, but most folks do not end up doing what they dreamed or even majored in. Be flexible, kid!

$$$ for Rory to fly back and forth if she is "broke" (not taking money from her dad/grandma/mom)- Logan. He is flying his MISTRESS on his dime. Betcha.

Didn't Rory's great-grandma create a trust for her, she was going to give it to her to pay for Chilton, then changed her mind? Didn't she leave it, just at age 25? Or did Rory blow through it already?

Finally - while a brief visit from Luke's sister would have been tolerable, I am so thankful she and TJ were only spoken off and NOT SEEN! A little TJ (like April) goes a LOOOOOOOOONG way! Right? Am I right?

And did either Jackson or Sookie mention the third kid? Or did Amy decide to ignore that 7th season pregnancy of theirs?

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

For those who enjoy the quirky town people the best, I suggest Hart of Dixie (also on netflix). Light hearted and funny, with wacky town people and events. They even use the same town square sets as Stars Hollow.

Ugh. No. I wanted to smack the poo out of Zoe and all her love interests too.

Huh. And then there's this.

First, I'll admit that I'm just a bit Gilmore Girls obsessed. Having said that, I've been listening to a podcast called the Gilmore Guys. It started on the same day that GG started on Netflix, and it has gained a huge following. The Gilmore Guys started doing "gab sessions" where they interviewed people associated with the show. One of their first big interviews was with Scott Patterson. During that interview, he mentioned that there were talks of some type of revival. After that episode, the Gilmore Guys talked about what a Scott had said and they really didn't believe him. This was before the ATX Festival back in June 2015 (this was the first GG reunion and seemed to sort of spur the revival series).

Anyway, recently the Gilmore Guys interviewed Scott Patterson again. They brought up that early interview when he stated that a GG revival was being talked about. Scott admitted that he made that up. He WANTED there to be a GG revival, so he said that hoping that it might help make it happen. During the time of his interview, he admitted that he had not been contacted about doing the new revival series.

I say all of this because I'm just wondering if Scott Patterson is doing the same thing here. The man truly loves the GG series, and I don't know that he's done a ton of work since (although I could be wrong). Seems to me like he's using social media to try to get things to go in his favor. Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

The only thing I truly didn't get was the musical. They spent WAY too much time on that. I went back and looked and in all it was 20 minutes of the show. 

Other than that, it was what it was. I kind of feel like shows like this get to go where they will. I won't always like what happens with the characters, but it's kind of like life. 

In the end, it makes sense that Logan is Christopher, Jess is Luke, Rory is Lorelei.

I will say that I felt VERY justified about being team Jess. I always thought Logan was a creep and that Jess would eventually grow up and be a good guy. 

• Like 1

We finished last night. I'm very glad she didn't do that ending right after Yale graduation. THAT would've been a disaster. And as someone who has a surprise 4th with no tubes, I can't assume she was being unsafe.

I felt like the characters were in suspended animation for the last 10 years. How on earth had no one dealt with these issues over that time. No way had Luke and Lorelai not discussed children. I really disliked Logan and Rory's cheating. And the summer episode was just awful. Lorelai and Rory were total a-holes at the pool. The musical was insane. All that for the one song that didn't even tie in to the musical? Emily was awesome, though I did find the Berta character and her extended family to be a bit stereotypical and slightly offensive. I don't know. I was so excited and ugh.

My sister and I both complained about a bunch of stuff to each other in these four, and were a bit bitter about some of it.  haha

Then we talked about it all again yesterday, and I like them more now than I did at first.

I never liked Rory, and that hasn't changed.  What a selfish, whiney little thing she has always been.  Blah. Emily's story line was my favorite, for sure.  

I need to watch them again.  

The Lorelei and Emily, especially Emily, stories were interesting.

Rory was awful. Was she always that awful? It seemed like she didn't grow up at all. The Paul thing was awful.

I predict that there won't be any more. If there are, the material would probably be focused on Rory with the others playing minor roles, and let's face it, she is the weakest character and the weakest actor of the three women. Stars Hollow has been a huge part of the show, but after this revival, I feel like Stars Hollow with Taylor, Kirk, Gypsy, Babette et al. can RIP. There is no where to go with all of that, and there is nowhere to go with Lorelei and Luke, so Rory's story would have to carry everything along and they'd need some new characters.

I really loved Emily's story.   The whole thing was so well done and interesting.  I have a son who would love to go to one of her tours at the whaling museum. 

I loved that Paris found a way to combine her interests in medicine and law.

I loved getting updates on Doyle and Michel.  I liked that Emily finally found a maid to keep employed and that it was Lorelai who couldn't keep an employee this time around.

I thought they handled the death of Richard well and was a respectful nod to Edward Herrman.

I was happy we got to see a wedding for Luke and Lorelai.

I liked that Lane seemed happy and found ways to still play music, but I missed hearing more about her life.

The musical, the pool scene, and the whole Life and Death Brigade dragged on too long for me.

I was a little disappointed that they seemed to show that Jess WAS still infatuated with Rory.  His character seemed to have matured a lot and I thought it would be nice if he got more than being portrayed as still in love with a high school girlfriend.

I don't know if we'll see more, but I think they left it open ended enough to bring it back.  I am guessing it would be more of a focus on Rory as a mother to her own Gilmore daughter.  

I was surprised Rory didn't have a trust fund.  Her great grandmother was supposed to have one for her and Lorelai indicated it was around 250,000.  Maybe that's how she rented a place in New York while freelancing for several years?  I don't know enough about the NY rental market or freelance pay to know if that makes sense.

It seemed like Logan's character regressed or they just threw out his character development in season 7 to tell the story they wanted to tell.

These are nitpicks and, all in all, I liked it and was happy to see more.

• Like 1

I keep thinking that they could have made Rory's story make more sense by having her made redundant from a permanent job at paper/magazine in London and maybe having been in a relationship with Logan or someone else all that time and have him cheat on her. Would have all made more sense as to a motivation to return home. They just seemed to be really lazy and confused with her plotlines.

I did like Emily throughout it all.

Edited by lailasmum

Maybe the Full Circle theme is that it takes these Gilmore Girls into their seventies to mature and find some satisfaction in life?

I think I'm the only person who miscounted the last four words and thought there were three. I was so confused for a while. I thought the whole world counted the contraction as two words and had lost their collective minds.

• Like 1

Just finished Fall. I loved the Parenthood cameos. I had been hoping that Mae Whitman would show up, and it was perfect with the shoe references.

The musical made me laugh, and I didn't mind it even with the added fluff. The original episodes were often quirky or didn't advance the story in a way you would expect.

I also would have preferred Rory to have just been fired or something similar. We already did Rory taking a break/quitting school when she was in Yale. Also hated the mistress thing. Again we did this with Dean, it's a repeat of something I hated to begin with.

The last four words give you something to think about and keep the story going, even if there isn't another Revival.

All in all I'm happy.