Menu

New Gilmore Girls (SPOILERS!)

Hyacinth

I never watched an episode but am strangely drawn to this whole conversation. Anyway, a friend suggested Rory might be acting as a surrogate as well? Although in real life you need a proven uterus to do that. But real life has nothing to do with TV, so maybe?

That's funny! Next time your sick, start a GG marathon.

I think your friend is definitely wrong, but interesting thought!

• Like 3

I just finished watching.

Just like the show back in the day, I loved the Amy S-P episodes and hated the Daniel P episodes.

I cried at the funeral , and I teared up in the end.

The father has to be Logan. Who is so very Christopher.... charming and weak. A likable terrible person.

Someone unthread asked if Rory was always like that. Yup. That's our Rory.

Jess got homely.

Dean got way cuter. Wow. She was creepy with him- I remember everything.

I'm two of four in, and super excited! I agree the first one felt a little rough at points where the chemistry was a bit forced and stilted, but Spring was a much better feel overall in terms of flow among the characters. Is it sad to say the supporting cast actually seems to be doing a better job than either of the two main actresses?! And they're still very good, so that's saying a whole lot.

I finished this morning and I was so mad. So much ticks me off.

I never liked Logan or cared about his "charming" rich friends. What is so likable? I mean I guess running around dressing up and stuff is fun, but they lived so far from earth I was surprised they got so much time in the show (what seemed like a long scene compared to say, Dean).

I guess I need to rewatch old eps with Dean because I completely forgot about his family and didn't know who he was naming, etc. I was really lost and need to listen to that all over.

Who is the father of Rory's baby? At first I thought "slept with a wookie" meant fell asleep next to a guy in a costume in a line! Not one night stand. So for all we know she's pregnant with random guy's baby. If it's Logan's that isn't great, either. Can you imagine what would happen? I could totally see Logan keeping Rory and the baby a secret and marrying the girl he's with. You know, just send Rory money all the time and meet up with her in private sometimes. Then one day eventually telling his wife the truth.

I fast forwarded some stuff. That musical was annoying. I don't know if I missed anything important. Just saw the therapist in line. Was she in the show again after that?? It sounded like Lorelai wrote her off based on a comment she made, but I don't know if we saw her again.

I kinda wanted to see Emily begin to learn Spanish (or whatever language they determine the family speaks).

I cringed watching the girls poolside. It came across as body shaming to me, at least on some level.

Jess and Rory weren't perfect but I felt like Jess (like later in the original show) was a potential good match for her. As I watched this show I realized that Luke and Lorelai would be together so any relationship with Jess would be weird because they'd be cousins? And based on what I read in this thread, Dean is married? I forgot. So that makes sense there's no one left for her from the old cast.

What happened to the newspaper after they spent all that time delivering papers? Maybe I fast forwarded again or maybe she's still working there. I just got a bit fuzzy on the details. This is actually kinda funny to me on another level because I used to work at a newspaper and recently started working at one that is the size of the one shown in their town.

I don't care for Paris. She's so abrasive/aggressive/bossy. Sometimes I don't mind it, but in this series I didn't like her much at all. I only really enjoyed her when she asked if Rory was with Doyle and when she said her briefcase was empty. The vulnerable side of her I guess.

Christopher's attitude toward his wife (??) was icky. I promise, I watched the original show but I don't remember all the names and some stuff. I thought he got married and had a baby with someone else, but maybe they didn't get married.

Does Lane have a job? I just saw that she and her husband were still in a band.

I finished this morning and I was so mad. So much ticks me off.

I never liked Logan or cared about his "charming" rich friends. What is so likable? I mean I guess running around dressing up and stuff is fun, but they lived so far from earth I was surprised they got so much time in the show (what seemed like a long scene compared to say, Dean).

I guess I need to rewatch old eps with Dean because I completely forgot about his family and didn't know who he was naming, etc. I was really lost and need to listen to that all over.

Who is the father of Rory's baby? At first I thought "slept with a wookie" meant fell asleep next to a guy in a costume in a line! Not one night stand. So for all we know she's pregnant with random guy's baby. If it's Logan's that isn't great, either. Can you imagine what would happen? I could totally see Logan keeping Rory and the baby a secret and marrying the girl he's with. You know, just send Rory money all the time and meet up with her in private sometimes. Then one day eventually telling his wife the truth.

I fast forwarded some stuff. That musical was annoying. I don't know if I missed anything important. Just saw the therapist in line. Was she in the show again after that?? It sounded like Lorelai wrote her off based on a comment she made, but I don't know if we saw her again.

I kinda wanted to see Emily begin to learn Spanish (or whatever language they determine the family speaks).

I cringed watching the girls poolside. It came across as body shaming to me, at least on some level.

Jess and Rory weren't perfect but I felt like Jess (like later in the original show) was a potential good match for her. As I watched this show I realized that Luke and Lorelai would be together so any relationship with Jess would be weird because they'd be cousins? And based on what I read in this thread, Dean is married? I forgot. So that makes sense there's no one left for her from the old cast.

What happened to the newspaper after they spent all that time delivering papers? Maybe I fast forwarded again or maybe she's still working there. I just got a bit fuzzy on the details. This is actually kinda funny to me on another level because I used to work at a newspaper and recently started working at one that is the size of the one shown in their town.

I don't care for Paris. She's so abrasive/aggressive/bossy. Sometimes I don't mind it, but in this series I didn't like her much at all. I only really enjoyed her when she asked if Rory was with Doyle and when she said her briefcase was empty. The vulnerable side of her I guess.

Christopher's attitude toward his wife (??) was icky. I promise, I watched the original show but I don't remember all the names and some stuff. I thought he got married and had a baby with someone else, but maybe they didn't get married.

Does Lane have a job? I just saw that she and her husband were still in a band.

Dean's family (wife/kids) are new, not the wife he had during the regular show (and left after the one night stand with Rory).

I don't think it would be weird if Rory ended up with Jess; adult step relatives who have known and liked each other well before they became step relatives really isn't that weird.

I think the Wookie is ruled out as father, since that happened in the Winter episode, too far back to have been a barely pregnant Rory by the end of the Fall episode. Even if it was in the Spring episode, too far back in the year.

Agreed on the pool stuff; that whole scene was just odd.

I got the impression from Rory's talk with Christopher that she doesn't WANT to involve the father (presumably Logan), and was sort of trying to gauge how Logan might feel regarding that, would it be okay, etc. I think she accepts/realizes she made the right choice turning down his marriage proposal at the end of season 7, realizes it has been foolish to be his mistress, accepts there's a baby coming as a result, and is ready to embrace motherhood, even if/though that means single motherhood.

I think Christopher's wife is new, not Gigi's mom. Gigi is the baby he had with....I forget her name, but feel like they did name a different current wife. Gigi's mom had left him and moved to Paris (Sherry, I think?) and they weren't together, so whoever he is with now would be a different person. Although I didn't pick up on any odd attitude....maybe I missed that?

I think Logan's friends were good comedy relief and more recent history to include, and a farewell that Rory needed, vs having already said goodbye to Dean long ago, so probably that is why they were in it so much more. I do wish we had seen more of Jess, though, and especially more of Jess and Rory together. It was disappointing how many of his scenes were with Luke and how few with Rory.

Re:the newspaper, it seemed she remained working there....without pay, but she didn't seem to stop. I imagine she'll keep it going while she works on her book, which I assume we're to believe becomes the success that is the show (similar to how Bilbo's book = "The Hobbit", or Ponyboy's paper for English = "The Outsiders").

All in all, I was happy with the final episode, and thoroughly annoyed with the first three. Blech.

• Like 2

I get the nonsense with Logan's friends being a good 20 minute sideplot, while Dean got maybe 4 minutes.  Yale turned Rory into That Girl, the one who thrills to the Secret Society stuff. Even though a lot of us liked sweet-young-with-Dean Rory much better.  She is who she is because of the choices she made.

I got the impression from Rory's talk with Christopher that she doesn't WANT to involve the father (presumably Logan), and was sort of trying to gauge how Logan might feel regarding that, would it be okay, etc. I think she accepts/realizes she made the right choice turning down his marriage proposal at the end of season 7, realizes it has been foolish to be his mistress, accepts there's a baby coming as a result, and is ready to embrace motherhood, even if/though that means single motherhood.

I think she's scared to death of being forever entwined with Logan because he one the one pushing her away in the first place -- manipulated her into the "what stays in Vegas" nonsense that she was clearly uncomfortable with - and his family is really really nasty.

On another site I read someone say Logan is Rory's passport to her worst self.  She doesn't want to be a mistress, she doesn't want to use connections to get interviews, but Logan IS so charming, witty, handsome, and he is patient and kind with her,  too. Hard to resist. But it never ends well.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 2

Am I the only one who worrried that Miss Patty had cancer? Google has reassured me it is gastric bypass surgery. Also, I wanted more Mrs. Kim time. She was always my favorite.

I have relatives who had similar surgery and look just like that, so I knew what it was, but yes, it was a huge shock to see her looking so unwell. :(

And ditto, more Mrs. Kim and even Lane would have been excellent. I felt like we got more of Paris than we did of Lane and her family.

Someone upthread said that Logan's friends robbed the grocery store. Well, they did throw money so I guess they felt they made up for it.

Dean's family (wife/kids) are new, not the wife he had during the regular show (and left after the one night stand with Rory).

I don't think it would be weird if Rory ended up with Jess; adult step relatives who have known and liked each other well before they became step relatives really isn't that weird.

I think the Wookie is ruled out as father, since that happened in the Winter episode, too far back to have been a barely pregnant Rory by the end of the Fall episode. Even if it was in the Spring episode, too far back in the year.

Agreed on the pool stuff; that whole scene was just odd.

I think Christopher's wife is new, not Gigi's mom. Gigi is the baby he had with....I forget her name, but feel like they did name a different current wife. Gigi's mom had left him and moved to Paris (Sherry, I think?) and they weren't together, so whoever he is with now would be a different person. Although I didn't pick up on any odd attitude....maybe I missed that?

I think Logan's friends were good comedy relief and more recent history to include, and a farewell that Rory needed, vs having already said goodbye to Dean long ago, so probably that is why they were in it so much more. I do wish we had seen more of Jess, though, and especially more of Jess and Rory together. It was disappointing how many of his scenes were with Luke and how few with Rory.

Re:the newspaper, it seemed she remained working there....without pay, but she didn't seem to stop. I imagine she'll keep it going while she works on her book, which I assume we're to believe becomes the success that is the show (similar to how Bilbo's book = "The Hobbit", or Ponyboy's paper for English = "The Outsiders").

All in all, I was happy with the final episode, and thoroughly annoyed with the first three. Blech.

She slept with the wookie in spring, but yeah, that makes sense that it isn't his because she talks about it in fall. I agree, that was why she was asking Christopher about parenthood, but I just wondered if Logan would keep her a secret and send money, etc.

I never liked Logan and was happy he was gone at the end of the series so this whole thing with him was a huge disappointment for me. I thought of his friends as an extension of him.

I was totally grossed out they were passing back and forth a piece of raw meat LOL

Yes, Sherry sounds familiar so it must be a different wife. That totally makes sense. The attitude I'm referring to is when she asked if he was still with her. It wasn't like a solid yes/no, it was more like, "shrug. She'll do." He seemed really unhappy. Like, his life is okay on paper but he's not happy. It was a bit depressing.

I wondered if she kept the paper going but it must be time consuming and offered zero pay. I wondered if the other employees were paid at all. She acted like she couldn't find the right time/place to write her book so I wondered if it was just too impractical to keep working on the newspaper.

Maybe the Jess/Rory thing wouldn't be totally unheard of, but it just seemed odd to me because I see Luke as sorta a father figure to both of them. Also, I kinda think current Jess deserves better.

• Like 1

Did you guys know that the actress who plays Miss Patty used to be on "All in the Family" with Sally Strothers?  I didn't until recently. 

I got the feeling the gal Christopher referred to was a girlfriend, not a wife.  Who knows. 

Here's something fun that I saw today:

"Watch the Gilmore Girls Opening Sequence We Wish the Revival Had Included"

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/01/gilmore-girls-opening-sequence-revival

(I did expect to see an updated version of the Carole King sequence thing at the beginning of the revival although the voices from the past were cool, too.)

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I'm the only one who likes Logan - those two selfish kids were made for each other :lol:

I was team Jess pretty hard for quite awhile and I agree he is probably her Luke, that was an interesting way to hang it. The supporting cast was by FAR the best and Lorelai and Rory the weakest, agreed. Emily's subplot and wrap up was totally satisfying too.

The baby thing was weird, but unsurprising. And I was super disappointed in Sookie's voice, she felt the most forced and unenthused and it was weird. Just off. But the rest of the supporting cast? Fantastic! They made the original and they made this one too.

Re: supporting cast --

Loved how they showed Richard in his office chair in the one scene with Rory (Fall episode).

Kelly Bishop is pretty much main cast, but not Rory or Lorelai, so I'll put my comments here.  I've rewatched the fight-in-the-kitchen scene (Winter) several times because both she and Lauren Graham nailed that. Bishop showed such anger and raw pain, with her near-tears and pinched mouth demeanor, perfectly.  I think she deserves an Emmy for her portrayal of Emily Gilmore in this four-part series. 

I didn't notice anything about Sookie's voice!  I've seen that mentioned over and over in various places.  I'm not sure why I'm not hearing it. 

Some people loved Luke's speech in the kitchen but, while I like his character over all, I was meh about that speech.  It seemed a tad whiny to me, I guess.  I did love the ending scene of their wedding. 

I wish we would have seen more of Lane and that her role would have been more significant. 

Kirk's satisfied look when Lorelai texted him "It's perfect!" (about their wedding/reception set up (while feeding his pig a bottle) was a thoughtful and fun ending for him.  After all his craziness ("Ooober"), it was good that he went out on a high note.

I rewatched the four-part series several days after the original binge-watch and noticed more things I hadn't noticed the first time, so that was fun.  I think I'm Gilmore'd out now, though.  :)

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2

I thought Sookie's voice was weird also. She was one of my favorites on the original series. Disappointed to see such a lackluster appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rarely notice details like this, but Sookie's voice drove me crazy!!

From what I understand, they barely got her for the revival. Melissa McCarthy is such a big star now and due to her schedule, they planned things without her. It was very lucky that they got her for the one scene.

I thought it was interesting how Michele kind of filled Sookie's role as Lorelai's close friend in the revival. If Sookie had been around more, I bet his screen time would have been limited.

• Like 2

I didn't notice anything about Sookie's voice either.

I laughed and laughed at the larger-than-life Richard that startled everyone who walked into the room. 

I too was disappointed in Rory's story line.  All the fuss about how she's Super Smart! and Going to Yale! and then she ends up an unemployed, homeless 32 yr old who's making bad relationship choices?  Being someone's MISTRESS--Logan's no less? What the heck? And what's so terrible about going to graduate school.  It always seemed like the Rory in the original series would have been the type to go for at least a Master's degree.  

The surrogacy thing was puzzling to me too.  Lorelai decides out of the blue to push for this? No references to "A Handmaid's Tale"? And Lorelai seemed unhappy with Luke until suddenly she decides she needs to marry him.  What?

• Like 1

I didn't notice anything about Sookie's voice either.

I laughed and laughed at the larger-than-life Richard that startled everyone who walked into the room.

I too was disappointed in Roray's story line. All the fuss about how she's Super Smart! and Going to Yale! and then she ends up an unemployed, homeless 32 yr old who's making bad relationship choices? Being someone's MISTRESS--Logan's no less? What the heck? And what's so terrible about going to graduate school. It always seemed like the Rory in the original series would have been the type to go for at least a Master's degree.

The surrogacy thing was puzzling to me too. Lorelai decides out of the blue to push for this? No references to "A Handmaid's Tale"? And Lorelai seemed unhappy with Luke until suddenly she decides she needs to marry him. What?

Journalists need experience, not advanced degrees. The reason to go for a Masters would be to be qualified to teach at Chilton, which was offered out of pity (and she clearly thought was beneath her).

The sad part is she dreamed of being a reporter when young , and as a adult was repeatedly shown to have no interest in actual news, and couldn't even pitch a basic feature story. In job interviews with editors!!

The part I hated about the surrogacy plot was Luke being too stupid to not realize how it worked. But I appreciated that it gave is more Paris / Paris not with Rory.

Tanking at work, no savings, last night desperation calls to a man who was treating her as a side piece - would all be fine drama if it was leading somewhere - but there's nothing . No there there, no goal. She makes Lorelai look very admirable.

• Like 1

I flip flop on how I feel about Lorelai's involvement in Rory's life. Was she involved enough or not? Did she speak up enough or not? She was trying really hard to be non judgemental and give Rory space, which is understandable. But sometimes I thought, "knock some sense into your daughter." I did rewatch one part and noticed that she did say, "you need to cut that poor boy loose" or something to that effect. So she did try to get Rory to address the Paul thing at least. I like to think Rory had other underwear besides the missing ones, otherwise, someone take that girl shopping.

I kind of wanted to see the final wedding cake, but I guess we can think it was the one Sookie liked. Since we didn't see the actual big day I guess we never got to see the dress. Which I know isn't the biggest deal, but they had like a whole episode about a wedding dress in an earlier season.

Yeah, that was kind of a shame that Luke didn't understand how the surrogacy stuff worked, but I think it was meant as comic relief. I thought it was really out of place for this conversation to be happening after living together 8 years?

I never liked the introduction of the dog. Then all the references to this celebrity I don't know. It's like ok, which staff member is obsessed with Paul Anka?

Edited by heartlikealion

I was sadly amused by the 30 Something Club. There's a sad statement on the times. And yet, funny.

The 30-something club struck me sharply, as in my 30s, dh and I were IN an official '30 something' dinner club -- it was literally called that, although here was of course some flexibility as some members hit 40 by the end of our time there and some of us (me included) were actually late 20s when the club started . . . It was out of our church, and it was populated by young couples and young families, mostly in grad school (we lived in a college town and it was a Unitarian church -- which tend to attract a lot of academics and highly educated people). Anyway, during our 4 years there (while dh was in vet school), the club which held monthly potlucks at member homes, evolved as more of the couples had babies . . . It was all newly married couples or young families with their first babies . . . . 

We had a great time in our 30s establishing our families and our career(s). The idea that the 30s would be a period of extended adolescence . . . sort of a continuation of college . . . is really depressing!! 

Edited by StephanieZ

• 2 weeks later...

I read an interesting analysis today which said the new episodes turn the viewer into Emily Gilmore. Suddenly we're all the ones disappointed with how a privileged and intelligent young woman has squandered her potential and opportunities with stupid choices and an ill advised pregnancy .

• Like 2