Menu

How to dress a tween

PeachyDoodle

The subtitle of this post should be: ...without looking like a hoochie or spending a fortune! :lol:

DD11 has reached that awkward stage. She's too tall for most girls' sizes and too young for the vast majority of looks in the junior department. I am pulling my hair out!!

We had to make an emergency run to a department store when I realized that she had nothing appropriate to wear to her great-grandmother's funeral tomorrow. There was exactly ONE dress in the store that worked (apparently slinky sweater dresses are in this year?), and I just about fainted from the sticker shock! Hello, junior department prices that are DOUBLE the girls' clothes!

Now she has no shoes. Well, she has a pair of ballet flats that look ok but are about half a size too big. She'll just have to shuffle, I guess. But I don't even know if they are remotely in style -- they were hand-me-downs from her 60-something GRANDMOTHER! :ohmy:

It doesn't help that she has absolutely ZERO interest in her appearance. Normally this doesn't bother me (I vastly prefer it to her obsessing over her looks) but it does create challenges when she needs clothes and doesn't want to participate. She dislikes pretty much everything that's not sweats and a tee with holes. And, of course, the only person I know more style-challenged than DD is, well... me. I've learned in the past couple of years to put together an outfit for myself, but I'm at a total loss as to how to do it for her. Especially without breaking the bank.

Sigh. I miss the days when I could hit one of the kids' websites, throw a few things in the shopping cart, and -- presto! -- out came an adorably dressed toddler.

• Like 3

Try Lands End, their girls 16 is pretty big. Perfect for swim suits when they need it tall enough, but no bust yet to fit a women's size.

We've also had luck with old navy ladies size small tees & jeans.

Aeropostale worked out ok too at that age, ladies small.

We had better luck with dress pants & tops than dresses at that size.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I am completely with you.

Oldest DD (10.5) has outgrown the kid sizes & we're struggling to find the right fit in adult sizes. We did find some "Sweetheart" style jeans from Old Navy (size 4) that fit her nicely -- but they were at the thrift store and she could use another pair. (We also bought several size 6 but they stretched out to be too big.) They are too long, but luckily a chunky cuff is cute.

Luckily all her long sleeved tops and jackets still fit from last year.

Shoes...sneakers and casual shoes (she has a pair of super-cute Converse) are easy. Ugg-style boots are easy (and can be found inexpensively). But we're not finding any dress flats we like this year (last year she liked the ballet flat styles that Walmart carried -- but she doesn't like the fit this year.)

I'm hoping to find her a few pairs of yoga pants tomorrow. She isn't hugely fond of jeans; stretchy pants are more comfy for playing. We used to get the Target/Circo boot-cut lounge pants but she's outgrown them.

Anyway, excuse the rambling... But I've been in clothes-searching mode for a few weeks now.

Edited by alisoncooks

All the tweens I see dressed in real life seem to just wear dark leggings or jeans, paired with t-shirts, sweaters, or nicer tops depending on the occasion.

Tops seem a bit challenging (to pick a style) but leggings seem pretty easy and comfy.

• Like 6

Hanna Andersson is expensive, but often much cheaper on eBay. HA sizes by height in cm. When my DS was 11 he wore a size 140. 

Size chart

This stuff lasts forever. My DD has worn DS's old clothes and passed them onto my nieces as well. I just got a perfect HA sweater for $7.99 on eBay last month.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

We like Justice and H&M a lot. I never thought I would, but the clothes are cute - some animals and also some fun graphics - and lots of sizes that fit my slim girl. She usually wears leggings and tunics, sweaters and jeans, the occasional pair of khakis.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tell me about it!

My dd11 just spent a frustrating evening trying to find her a Supergirl costume.  The Supergirl TV program has the heroine in an adorable outfit and that's what we were looking for.  What we found was Stripper Supergirl in all her various incarnations.  I thought about just getting a boy's Superman costume but all of those had plastic muscles build right into the fabric.  I couldn't even get the Supergirl T-shirt they had because there was this ridiculous "big boob, tiny waist" silhouette printed right onto it.  

When my girls were tweens, I pretty much let them wear whatever they wanted, and do they ever laugh about it now.  They looked very nerdy!  But they didn't care at all then.  We shopped at Target, consignment stores, and hand-me-downs.   We did get nice outfits from Lands End and Delia's now and then, although I don't know if Delia's even exists anymore.

We have a Herbergers here that has a nice juniors section that would also fit my tweens.  I think in other parts of the country it's a Yonkers.  They had sales all the time.

20 years ago when my girls were that age,  the jr dept looked like skanks . . . I shudder to think what it's like now.  

I think I went straight to petites/misses.

eta: the fit was more appropriate as well.  there would be reasonable stuff - but it was so much work to sort through to find it, it wasn't worth my time.  

Edited by gardenmom5

My 11yodd had great luck at Old Navy this summer.  Like others have said, mostly graphic tees and either jeans or leggings (depending on the length of the tees).  She also does well with ladies x-small or small, as long as the neck isn't a scoop or v-neck.  Crew necks, or jewel necks work fine.  Kohl's has a nice selection of tops that cover well, but are still stylish.  Dd is kind of curvy, so jeans are a problem.  She wears a women's size 6, but they're generally too long.  She just rolls them up.  She spends about half her life in retired soccer uniforms, but she likes to dress up, too.  

My 12 yr old lives in jeans and t shirts and I mostly went over to looking at the smallest sizes in womenswear. Places like Gap and H&M do pretty small sizes. She did have a problem with women's tops for a while because even though she hit average height at about 11 she's just not got adult women's build. That's starting to resolve itself not though so stuff is fitting better.

When DD was that age, I looked at the juniors section at Kohl's. So disappointing. The shirts were skimpy, thin, poly blends. (I'm sure they were thin for layering, but still. They felt cheap.). I ended up buying some women's small shirts for her instead. Thick, cushy cotton knits with decent coverage. And better prices too.

She liked Justice for a few years too. They have a lot of stuff that she and I both felt was kind of junky, plus very trendy, which isn't her style. But they also had jeans and basic tees that went up to size 20, and she was able to find appropriate clothing.

• Like 1

OH yeah, I forgot to add, we skipped the "jr" dept alltogether- that stuff was horrendous!

For graphic tees, if the ladies are too low v neck & see through & tight fitted (why do they do that?!?), we just get the men's smaller sizes at Target, lots of cute graphic tees there. Old navy too, nice selection of men's graphic tees that run small enough for a tween girl.

Our SAMS club always has yoga pants & work out wear in ladies small that she still wears too.

I like Lands End for dresses...but my oldest has eschewed the dress/legging look.  :(

She has a specific style (that's a whole 'nother thread, LOL) so she's pretty particular about what I get for her to wear.  She's very anti-dress, though.

Piecing things together from the thrift store has worked best...but it's time consuming.  Justice sounds good, but aren't they a bit pricey?

I like Lands End for dresses...but my oldest has eschewed the dress/legging look. :(

She has a specific style (that's a whole 'nother thread, LOL) so she's pretty particular about what I get for her to wear. She's very anti-dress, though.

Piecing things together from the thrift store has worked best...but it's time consuming. Justice sounds good, but aren't they a bit pricey?

Justice can be pricey, but they have regular sales. For instance, 30% off of all bottoms or 30% off of pajamas. Also, they have regular "style buys" which are items that don't go on sale, but are reasonably priced. Dd likes their jeans and they are always $20.

• Like 1

Target. Jeans and graphic tees. If the neckline is too low, layer over a tank/camisole. We've had good luck with dresses there, though nothing for a funeral. I'm sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

Agreeing with Zoobie.  DD wore Target girls jeans size 16 for several years as a tween.  They had the extra length that she needed.  She also liked Target's long sleeve T's and would layer those under some of the cute graphic tees in the junior section.   Justice was a good place for camisoles and tank tops.  We also found some nice dresses and skirts there, but it was hit or miss for those.  

Edited by Artichoke

Is there a Justice store near you? Their sizes go up to I think girls 20?

Also, Old Navy. My daughter with a rockin' bombshell figure can wear pretty much anything from there and look just fine, meaning, stylish and feminine but not sleazy.

Also, a mini-rant: yes, Juniors styles are different from Little Girls. They are often cut for the developed female shape. That is not, in itself, hoochie or evil. I beg the parents of young girls growing into their figures to use care when shopping... equating their new figure and available clothing with loose morals or seductive intent can be very damaging. (I could probably explain that better if I'd had my coffee)

• Like 4

Our Dd's are very similar. My Dd wears denim shorts, nice tank top, oversized hoodie, and sneakers every day to school. She did pick out different colored shorts and nicer t-shirts The beginning of the school year but has not worn them to school. I lucked out when I went to target this past Saturday she found a nice Christmas shirt and sweater to wear for her piano recital which I'm hoping to find a skirt to go with it. She also did find a nice sweater. I hope she will decide to wear to school. She's most comfortable and T-shirt and jeans. I agree it is hard to find clothes for that age we do have luck at target and occasionally the juniors department that Kohl's.

Justice can be pricey, but they have regular sales. For instance, 30% off of all bottoms or 30% off of pajamas. Also, they have regular "style buys" which are items that don't go on sale, but are reasonably priced. Dd likes their jeans and they are always $20.

My tween dd won't wear jeans, but we did get a sale email from Justice this morning bragging about how all their jeans are $25!

They do have a good selection of colors in leggings, though, which were on sale when I stopped there last week.

DD15 has always been a round little person since she was about 8yo.   She wears jeans and fun t-shirts (unicorns, fairies, doctor who) now, but during the tween years was definitely anti-jean.  She only wears soft comfortable clothes.  Period.

During the tween years, we bought yoga and workout pants from Old Navy and Aerie because they were soft. I usually had to hem the yoga pants unless we found capris.   Super-soft hoodies were usually acceptable - again aerie and Old Navy were the best for that.

DD15 has always been a round little person since she was about 8yo.   She wears jeans and fun t-shirts (unicorns, fairies, doctor who) now, but during the tween years was definitely anti-jean.  She only wears soft comfortable clothes.  Period.

During the tween years, we bought yoga and workout pants from Old Navy and Aerie because they were soft. I usually had to hem the yoga pants unless we found capris.   Super-soft hoodies were usually acceptable - again aerie and Old Navy were the best for that.

This describes my 8.5 year old perfectly!  Definitely anti-jean and definitely a "round little person."  It's been so warm this fall, she's living in shorts and t-shirts.  But yes, I have to hem all her yoga/workout pants.

Oldest DD picked up these sweats from Walmart today.  Super soft (they probably won't last long) but slim-fitting and with a cuff so they don't look excessively long on her.

My tween dd won't wear jeans, but we did get a sale email from Justice this morning bragging about how all their jeans are $25!

They do have a good selection of colors in leggings, though, which were on sale when I stopped there last week.

$25 is a good price for their "fancy" jeans (not sure what to call them - they have bling, etc). The jeans that we buy for $20 are just standard, boring jeans. No bling, no rips.

My kids don't look drastically different, but they all have different shapes and needs, so my advice varies depending on what your dd needs. I did need to accept the fact that dressing girls becomes significantly more expensive when kid sizes or styles don't work anymore. I can't always wait for a great sale--I know that if I find something that fits well and is a not-too-sexy look, there are a million other moms out there who will snap up all of said item if I wait. So, a few thoughts.

-Converse shoes work as "dress" shoes for teens (and tweens I think). You and I can't get away with it, but they can. I see it a lot at band concerts, NHS induction, etc--girls pair a nicer dress or pants outfit with Converse and it really does look okay.

-Aeropostale is great for long skinny kids. Kids' clothes like Lands End become too wide in waist for how long the legs need to be.

-Aeropostale online has low prices. You do have to select styles carefully, but that's pretty easy to do online. However they are in the process of closing stores and consolidating and it has been harder to find what we need. They don't have their $10 black leggings right now for instance.

-Aeropostale and American Eagle have both short and regular length jeans. I love not having to hem middle dd's jeans, so I try to find short.

-We find stuff at Old Navy all right.

-My long skinny kid wears camisoles a lot. I have to be careful what kind of shirt neckline I get for her--it has to be close to a crew neck to not fall off her shoulders or gape too much.

-Dress clothes are a lot harder to find than casual clothes. JCP has actually worked for finding things like a band concert skirt. Kids long maxi-style worked for skinny kid.

-H&M is new in our area. We had success at back-to-school time finding shirts for the skinny kid. I'll go back on Black Friday.

-Speaking of Black Friday, if you like American Eagle but cringe at the prices, they had everything in the store 40% off on BF last year. Hoping for the same this year.

• Like 2