Menu

I hate the way my husband does laundry *VENT*

poppy

My DH only does his own laundry. When my oldest was here, she did her own laundry, as soon as she was able.

And actually, I think my almost 8yr old is probably old enough to start doing her own. Time to start teaching her!

See , I don't get this- does he only do his own dishes ??

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all those women whose husbands won't do family laundry , I hope your husband is very grateful to have you.

My dh will do laundry if I ask him to but that is a rare occurrence. But my dh just said the other day how he was thinking, " I hope Em never feels taken advantage of or under appreciated because I really do love that I can rely on the fact that I'll always have clean socks." He shows/tells me how much he appreciates me on a regular basis but never mentions the specific tasks he's thankful I handle. I think this was a first.

• Like 1

I keep coming back to this. What's wrong with putting the next load in the washer right away? Is it that he then forgets it's in there or something? Why does it matter that the next load gets started 10 minutes sooner than it would have if he'd gone up, put away the laundry, and then trekked back down again to start the next load? I feel like I must be missing some problem in the sequence.

Yes, I'm curious about this as well. I was really focused on the masses of clean laundry not *finished*, so I didn't pay so much attention to the machine procedure. I switch loads immediately and am curious about why it's an issue?

I came to doing it that way because otherwise I fall into the same trap-- of doing the 'fun' part (shoving stuff into machines and pressing buttons ) and neglecting the part everyone hates , getting stuff put away.

So my motto is -- 'A load a day and put it away'. Not '5 loads in 1 day and 5 days of putting away!'

To all those women whose husbands won't do family laundry , I hope your husband is very grateful to have you.

Ah, I see. So it's just part of the structure of the good habit. I get that! Thanks :)

My DH will do family laundry. He's not allowed to. He knows how to do laundry (did his own for years) but has forgotten good habits, or maybe never had the habits that go with a huge washer and dryer, or a whole family's worth of laundry? He'll do things like wash tiny loads in a full-size amount of water, mix up lights and darks (which often doesn't matter, but it does when you wash, say, a towel with black cotton t-shirts), not fold after drying, etc. I'm picky about laundry, so I take the responsibility. I'm OK with that. For my part, I don't deal with his dress laundry in any way, because that's the thing he's picky about, so he handles it. 

We've now reached the next stage of family laundry, which is for me to teach the kids to do it in a way that is energy efficient and effective yet not so complex that I overwhelm them and scare them off :lol: 

Do what I did: Get two kittens, so that the laundry must be folded immediately or else it becomes kitty playground. I even put away the folded clothes immediately or else the kitties unfold all my folding. I caught one of them sitting on a newly folded stack of towels the other day. :zombie:

I stopped letting DH do laundry years ago because he puts colours and whites together, then pours in bleach. :ack2:

toddlers will do that  . . . .

<snip>

It's not that my husband won't do the family laundry.   It would just be a stupid use of his time.  He's busy with 1.5 paying jobs.   I'm home (when I'm not driving kids around, or doing my 3-hour-a-week cleaning job).   There are about 3,000 other tasks around here that I can't do, but he can do, when/if he has time to do them.  Laundry wouldn't make it anywhere near the top of the list of things I'd like him to do or help with.

I would say my husband and I are grateful to have each other, each doing what makes the most sense for our life.  

Doubt my family is unique in this regard. 

• Like 3

dh is not allowed to do laundry.  yes he appreciates me.   yes he did his own for years before we got married.

I have had detailed instructions of how to do laundry posted in my laundry room - it was for kids benefits as much as his when I was out of town.

• Like 1

Ha my husband does laundry only cause he says I do it badly!! I think he is too fussy .

I respect the 'the other spouse stinks at this so I'll do it' . I prefer to get help and then complain about it, hee hee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came to doing it that way because otherwise I fall into the same trap-- of doing the 'fun' part (shoving stuff into machines and pressing buttons ) and neglecting the part everyone hates , getting stuff put away.

So my motto is -- 'A load a day and put it away'. Not '5 loads in 1 day and 5 days of putting away!'

Sorry for asking a question that you already answered, I don't know how I missed your post!

In our case, DH works in the water, sewer and construction industry.  There is NO WAY I'm touching his laundry.  He agrees with me, so does his work laundry himself.

Some day we'd like to have a dedicated laundry for him in the garage so he's not putting toxic sludge into the household washing machine.

Interestingly, as of late, he has taken to doing his own dishes if he eats at a different time than the rest of us and I've already done the dishes.  It's sweet of him to do, but I actually don't care for it, because he doesn't really wash them with hot, soapy water.  It's more of a rinse and a swipe with a washcloth.  But since I've already publicly banned him from laundry duties, I'm not about to ban him from dishes.  

??? 

We have a division of labor. My DH comes home from work at 7pm. I work fewer hours than he does -so of course I am the one doing the laundry. It's not that he "won't" - it's that I am home while he is still at work. Waiting for him to come home and do laundry at night? That would be stupid. And the clothes would not dry as well as they do during the day.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

I didn't mean to make anyone defense or feel judged. Naturally every family divides duties. Several people told me to be grateful my husband does laundry. My reply was meant to read as, you laundry do-ers who don't get help deserve the same gratitude.

I have pretty minimal standards for how housework gets done but I don't understand how clothes can sit unfolded for long periods of time without getting terribly wrinkled.  I actually like laundry above any other housework.  I like sorting and running the machines. I can feel productive while doing other things if the machines are running.  

But I do fold as soon as it comes out of the dryer.  I guess our dryer is small but it is definitely less than 5 minutes to quickly fold a load and throw it into piles by person.  That is where I get hung up.  The kitchen island with stacks of folded laundry waiting to be put away.  It is much better now that kids are all old enough to take their own pile.  But then my own lonely pile is still sitting on the island.

I do it your husband's way or it wouldn't get done. We have to do so many loads that to keep it moving all day we couldn't stop and fold it efficiently, it would cut into school, cooking, travel time, whatever. So we move it and the son folds diapers, older girls and son fold their clothes and kitchen linens, and I deal with our clothes at the end of the day (most days).

Yes it gets a little more wrinkled while we wait to get to it, but it is a lot more time efficient to fold all the laundry st once than every load since most loads are mixed clothes coming from three different rooms. It just doesn't work for us.

Ideally I'd fold after every load like you. But with 3-5 loads a day it just isn't working out like that presently :lol:

And yes, my husband helps with laundry when he is home. It is hard for me to carry the hampers upand down the stairs but there is no place it can live downstairs, and the cloth diapers are stinky AND heavy. So we move it during the day but he does a lot of the heavy lifting for me when I'm pregnant and postpartum. And he works a gazillion hours. Because he is awesome.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I do it your husband's way except I fold the load that comes out of the dryer right away.

What I wanna know is how the clothes aren't wrinkled to hell if you just shove everything into baskets.  I find if I fold it right away it's fine.  if it sits it is all wrinkled.

But either way, I agree with you.  Anyone can fill up and run a washer.  The real job part is getting it put away.

• Like 1

My wife does her own laundry. She's picky about what setting stuff gets washed on. If I were doing her laundry, it'd go with all the other stuff on sanitize. Since she doesn't like that, she gets to do it herself.

:lol:

just cracks me up that people are complaining when partner HELPS do some household task like laundry.

Where is the actual help though?  It takes like 2 minutes to do what he is doing. 

I'd be annoyed with piles of wrinkled up laundry just sitting there.  If you aren't going to put it away right away then don't bother "helping". 

• Like 3

I could live with the op's DHs level of 'support' IF he laid the clothes flat out of the dryer. Otherwise I'm stuck hauling down two flights of stairs to de-wrinkle the unfolded mess.

I have it ALMOST down. I can get things washed, dried, and folded, but I often run out of steam before I put it away. I'll do 4-5 loads in a day, fold in front of Netflix, then put off putting things away for a day or two. Interesting fact: If you fold KonMari-style you can get 4-6 loads neatly folded into 3 baskets. Ă°Å¸Ëœ

• Like 1

:lol:

just cracks me up that people are complaining when partner HELPS do some household task like laundry.

The way the OPs husband helps would not be help to me. I would be insane. I am a laundry Nazi.....and although I do run the washer and dryer at the same time I carefully plan out laundry for a day I know I will be able to fully process all that i start. I save for last easy to fold loads like towels. I do not leave clothes anywhere once clean. They are put away.

I do order my teens around sometimes to help me....but I am responsible for all laundry and I like it that way.

• Like 2

We line dry outside as do most Australians. It is very typical in I would think most households to bring the dry clothes in just before cooking tea ( or whatever you want to call the evening meal) . They may sit in a basket until evening. if I went and visited just about anyone I know without advanced warning I bet nearly every house that has children would in the  late afternoon have a basket of dry clothes waiting to be folded sitting in the living room.

• Like 1

I am your husband LOL. But, the piles are usually my problem. "Mom, do I have any clean socks??" "Did you wash my ____?" I end up finding the items for them and once in a while someone helps me fold and put them away. But I HATE the way dh folds!! I don't know if I can explain it, but basically you have to unfold it to see the front of the shirt/style of the shirt. He could fold a camisole into a square but I don't see the straps or anything. He could fold a tshirt with a logo where you can't see any of the logo, etc. I thought it was a joke... but supposedly this is just how he folds.

• Like 1

I do it the way your husband does and so does dh. The difference is that we dump all the loads onto our bed and then someone folds it before the bedtime. Often the kids fold and put away or sometimes dh or I do. It's really whoever is home that day does it. We usually do laundry 3 days a week, about 2-3 loads each of those days. It's never that big a deal to get it done from start to finish on the same day. 

I hate the way my dh does laundry too!   :willy_nilly:

Early this morning he put a small load into the washer: several dish towels and several dog towels (towels used to clean up the wet mess from the one dog who can't hold it).

Hours later I emptied the washer, ready to be grateful that he started a load, and just about had a heart attack!

Not very gracious of me, but I texted him bad words... Heh...  :rolleyes:

Majority of my basket is often stuff where wrinkles are non-applicable (to me, anyway). Towels, blankets, sheets, underwear, socks. No I don't like a lot of wrinkles on the sheets, but I'm pretty "meh" about it at times. Dh's shirts have to be hung dry. I don't even fold all the baby clothes when they go in the drawers. Most of them don't have issues with wrinkles. My own tops I often fold or lay flat or hang up if I'm concerned.

I don't really care a lot about wrinkles. I just dislike having an unpleasant task  always hanging over my head.  Having baskets of clothes to put away is like having a .... like having a row of 5 sinks full of dirty dishes.  I don't want to do it all now but I feel like a lazy slob just leaving it. Just, ugh.

• Like 1

We line dry outside as do most Australians. It is very typical in I would think most households to bring the dry clothes in just before cooking tea ( or whatever you want to call the evening meal) . They may sit in a basket until evening. if I went and visited just about anyone I know without advanced warning I bet nearly every house that has children would in the late afternoon have a basket of dry clothes waiting to be folded sitting in the living room.

Hmm, I line dry my clothes and fold as I take them off the line. It just seems to be the most efficient thing to do. The kids have even started helping by grabbing their clothes or dish towels and folding them. They then just take the pile immediately upstairs.

• Like 1

Mine almost never does laundry, but when he does, he leaves it at the last setting. Which is probably not HOT. So, the clothes aren't clean, especially as he will not have added Oxi-clean. He will, however, put the Tide in the little cup instead of using the pump thingie, thus letting the the detergent drip all over the top of the washer. Then, not-clean clothes are stuffed into the dryer, then setting the stink in the clothes. And then they sit in the dryer until I deal with them. Grrr...

I think what setting you wash clothes on to clean them varies so much between families/individuals. My parents wash everything on cold. I was towels and certain things on hot. I do not wash all clothes on hot. For one, I would shrink them. I used to use Tide "coldwater" figuring that it was clean because it specifically designed for cold water. But then I stopped paying for Tide and now often use Arm & Hammer with Oxi-Clean. Sometimes I don't, though. Depending on the items, I think the cold is good enough. Like, I'm not going to wash my shirts on hot. They will shrink. And it's probably too harsh.

Where is the actual help though?  It takes like 2 minutes to do what he is doing. 

I'd be annoyed with piles of wrinkled up laundry just sitting there.  If you aren't going to put it away right away then don't bother "helping". 

Well I can see some benefit in someone running the washer & dryer, which takes hours.  If I realize my kids need something for school and it's midnight the night before (or the morning of), I'd rather have to dig it out of a clean basket than a dirty one, or out of the washer still wet, or have to stay up for an extra hour waiting for it to run through the washer & put it in the dryer before I go to bed.

The method would drive me crazy because the clothes would be wrinkly.  And plus, it's more clutter to make me irritable.

Thankfully I don't have this issue since I don't have a husband.  :P  It is high time for my kids to start having real laundry duties, and it will be interesting to see how that evolves.  :P

• Like 1

I'm talking about his work clothes. He drives a dump truck hauling asphalt. Even hot isn't enough many days. Only rags are thrown in with his work clothes. Tide is the ONLY thing that gets out the stink and even then, not always. 

No, I don't wash anything else on hot. That's the problem--I alternate loads, so the setting isn't ON hot. And he never notices, so they go through on warm. It's not enough to get them clean. 

I would turn it to HOT after I finished my laundry.  :)

• Like 1

Do what I did: Get two kittens, so that the laundry must be folded immediately or else it becomes kitty playground. I even put away the folded clothes immediately or else the kitties unfold all my folding. I caught one of them sitting on a newly folded stack of towels the other day. :zombie:

Man, that is the best excuse for getting kittens that I've ever heard. Now my DH will know who to blame :D

My clothing doesn't really seem to wrinkle all that much. Probably because I'm one of those people wearing casual workout clothes Moxie was freaking out about on the other thread.

:lol: Bonus!

I am your husband LOL. But, the piles are usually my problem. "Mom, do I have any clean socks??" "Did you wash my ____?" I end up finding the items for them and once in a while someone helps me fold and put them away. But I HATE the way dh folds!! I don't know if I can explain it, but basically you have to unfold it to see the front of the shirt/style of the shirt. He could fold a camisole into a square but I don't see the straps or anything. He could fold a tshirt with a logo where you can't see any of the logo, etc. I thought it was a joke... but supposedly this is just how he folds.

This is the one thing I dislike about the KonMari folding - it's very hard to tell what is what with all distinguishing features folded away.

• Like 1

I tell him "why is efficient more important than doesn't drive my wife insane?"

He replied, somewhat helplessly: "Because I'm an engineer."

I do want to add, folding isn't everything, it's putting stuff away. A stack of clothes not put away is dug through and becomes a sad, fallen stack.

Both hubby and I are engineers and do laundry that way. The only difference is we yell for our kids to sort and put the clean laundry away as we empty the dryer since the bulk of the clean laundry is their clothes. Whatever remains hubby will sort and fold or hang up because he is the laundry expert. Most of our clothes are hung up so we use lots of hangers. My hubby is the only one who knows how to iron so we buy wrinkle free/no ironing required clothes. Edited by Arcadia

It's a joint chore here - someone puts a load on, someone hangs it out (or not), someone brings it in (most of the time), someone folds it (eventually).

My laundry peeves are to do with people not checking pockets for tissues, and people hanging the laundry in an inefficient manner.

Tissues drive me nuts! We get coins and rocks here too, which are annoying in the dryer but at least they're expected kid fare. My absolute worst laundry nemesis left in a pocket is lib balm though - it indelibly, greasily stains the ENTIRE load.

I do laundry like your husband, and I never fold it.  I make the kids go into the bedroom where I dump it all out and take their things back to their room.  I have no interest in folded laundry and no one else in my family does either.  We don't really own things that wrinkle much, I guess?  Or we just don't care about wrinkles.  Mostly we wear cotton knits.

I think folding laundry is a MASSIVE waste of time.  My mom loves to fold laundry, though - for years I would take my laundry over to her house (or put it down teh laundry chute when we lived with her) and it would come upstairs clean and folded.

My DS8 is worse; he puts everything back in his dresser, dirty or not.  Then once every week or two I tell him to go through his room and put all dirty clothes in the laundry - of course he can't tell the difference (and his dirty things are *dirty* - spaghetti sauce, mud, blueberry stains dirty) and just puts everything in the laundry.  His bathing habits are similar.

I must admit I do my laundry like your husband with regards to the use of machines. I can understand why you do your method, though, after your update. Makes perfect sense and I am glad you found a method that works for you.

The exception for me with your husband's method is the folding. After I pull a load from the dryer and into a laundry basket I do move the load from the washer to the dryer then may load another set of clothes into the washer.

I then take the dry clothes to the living room and while the kids and I watch something on TV we fold the clothes together. Unfortunately, I am not that good at getting clothes that are nicely folded in the laundry basket back into drawers so we all frequently live out of laundry baskets. We do separate the clothes by adults and kids so we fold the clothes and keep separate piles for each person. Once the folding is done we put kid clothes in one basket (each side of the basket is for a different kid) and adult clothes in another basket (DH on one side mine in the other).

When the next load is dry we repeat the procedure, adding to the piles of already folded clothes. Eventually we haul the baskets upstairs and may or may not immediately unload them.

Maybe the clothes don't always get put away but the kids and I enjoy the time together and the clothes all get cleaned and folded at least and our clothes are usually reasonably easy to locate. :)

Maybe I should save this for the next unpopular opinion thread, lol.  If a spouse (of either gender) is going to help the other with a task that the other spouse normally manages, then said "helper" should do it according to the system the other has in place.  I make no comment on the distribution of work or which gender does it.  I'm just saying that it is no help at all for the other person to come in and do it differently than the normal system of the other person and then (potentially) be excused by various thoughts like:   at least he / she helped, or he / she is an adult and can do it however he/she likes, or if you want a job done right you should do it yourself.  I think it's disrespectful to the person who has established the management of the routine / chore to start with.  

• Like 1

Maybe I should save this for the next unpopular opinion thread, lol.  If a spouse (of either gender) is going to help the other with a task that the other spouse normally manages, then said "helper" should do it according to the system the other has in place.  I make no comment on the distribution of work or which gender does it.  I'm just saying that it is no help at all for the other person to come in and do it differently than the normal system of the other person and then (potentially) be excused by various thoughts like:   at least he / she helped, or he / she is an adult and can do it however he/she likes, or if you want a job done right you should do it yourself.  I think it's disrespectful to the person who has established the management of the routine / chore to start with.  

Interesting.  I can see this as a reasonable expectation in some scenarios but, honestly, I don't see my routine as being any better than anyone else's.  If a spouse/kid/grandparent wants to help out and they have a system that works for them, hey, more power to them.  

For instance, when Mom comes over and offers to load the dishwasher I don't care how she does it.  She has her own way of loading.  Fine by me.  The dishes still get clean and that is one thing I don't have to do.  If DH decides to do a few loads of laundry, as long as whatever he does isn't ruining the clothes I don't care how he does it.  He's the one doing the labor.  He can do it as he sees fit.  

I'm not so picky that I demand my family do things exactly as I think they should be done.  Most household chores are done to personal preference, not because there is some over arching absolutely right way to do things that is far superior to anything anyone else might do.  I don't assume that I am the only one that knows that amazing process and therefore every other person MUST follow my way of doing things.  

In fact, I encourage the kids to find a way that works for them.  For instance, DS has a hard time folding towels the way I do.  I helped him try out different ways of folding and he now has a way that works for him.  Do the towels stack as nicely if some are folded one way and some are folded another?  No, but who cares?  They are towels.  DS feels good about finding a way to fold that works for him and I am happy that the towels get folded.

FWIW, one of my SILs (lovely person) is very VERY picky about her laundry, how the clothes and towels are folded, even how cakes are cut for Birthdays.  She is SO picky that it is easier just to do it her way than to argue.  I disagree, though, with her assumption that her way is the only right way to do things and her house will be a disaster if it isn't done exactly that way.  There are lots of ways to do things.  We each have our personal preferences but the world won't stop turning if they aren't done exactly one way.  But this is really, really important to her so her family does it her way and I respect her needs/priorities even if they aren't mine.

I realize that some of you are going to disagree with my approach.  That's fine.  I do understand.  For some (like my SIL), having a very set way of doing things that everyone follows the same way is important to you.  Communicating that clearly to the spouse/kids hopefully helps with this so your house runs the way you would like it to.  We all have different priorities and tolerance levels.  

Me?  I'm just not that picky about how house chores get done.  To each their own.   :)

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 5

I'm so not picky either, but if he is only washing and drying and not putting away or folding then he really doesn't have much of a system.  Unless I guess the system involves just grabbing stuff as needed from the laundry basket.  I suppose that is a system.  I suspect it's mostly only to put on a good illusion of "helping".  That would be sort of like my husband asking if I'd help rake the yard, and I placed the rake and bag out there.  I helped right?  The rake and bag are there.  I made a bit of effort.  That's really what it would feel like to me if my husband just ran the washer and dryer.  I don't need help with that part.  I guess he too can manage to bring the rake and bag out there. 

Interesting.  I can see this as a reasonable expectation in some scenarios but, honestly, I don't see my routine as being any better than anyone else's.  If a spouse/kid/grandparent wants to help out and they have a system that works for them, hey, more power to them.  

For instance, when Mom comes over and offers to load the dishwasher I don't care how she does it.  She has her own way of loading.  Fine by me.  The dishes still get clean and that is one thing I don't have to do.  If DH decides to do a few loads of laundry, as long as whatever he does isn't ruining the clothes I don't care how he does it.  He's the one doing the labor.  He can do it as he sees fit.  

I'm not so picky that I demand my family do things exactly as I think they should be done.  Most household chores are done to personal preference, not because there is some over arching absolutely right way to do things that is far superior to anything anyone else might do.  I don't assume that I am the only one that knows that amazing process and therefore every other person MUST follow my way of doing things.  

In fact, I encourage the kids to find a way that works for them.  For instance, DS has a hard time folding towels the way I do.  I helped him try out different ways of folding and he now has a way that works for him.  Do the towels stack as nicely if some are folded one way and some are folded another?  No, but who cares?  They are towels.  DS feels good about finding a way to fold that works for him and I am happy that the towels get folded.

FWIW, one of my SILs (lovely person) is very VERY picky about her laundry, how the clothes and towels are folded, even how cakes are cut for Birthdays.  She is SO picky that it is easier just to do it her way than to argue.  I disagree, though, with her assumption that her way is the only right way to do things and her house will be a disaster if it isn't done exactly that way.  There are lots of ways to do things.  We each have our personal preferences but the world won't stop turning if they aren't done exactly one way.  But this is really, really important to her so her family does it her way and I respect her needs/priorities even if they aren't mine.

I realize that some of you are going to disagree with my approach.  That's fine.  I do understand.  For some (like my SIL), having a very set way of doing things that everyone follows the same way is important to you.  Communicating that clearly to the spouse/kids hopefully helps with this so your house runs the way you would like it to.  We all have different priorities and tolerance levels.  

Me?  I'm just not that picky about how house chores get done.  To each their own.   :)

• Like 2

It's a joint chore here - someone puts a load on, someone hangs it out (or not), someone brings it in (most of the time), someone folds it (eventually).

My laundry peeves are to do with people not checking pockets for tissues, and people hanging the laundry in an inefficient manner.

This is why dh does not currently help with the laundry until the folding part. I just recently started line drying. The first day I did it he came out to help. I said, "thanks for trying to help but i have to learn how to efficiently hang things before I want other people helping with this part. When I'm ready I'll teach you if you still want to help."

We have a rule in our house for adults that says, "You can ask me to do something, or you can tell me how, but you can't do both. " I'd let it go and fold while watching tv.

I might have missed it but did she ask him t help? If Dh does laundry he knows I will not be happy.

But I keep the laundry done.....so I guess that is our way of handling me being so picky about it.

We have a rule in our house for adults that says, "You can ask me to do something, or you can tell me how, but you can't do both. " I'd let it go and fold while watching tv.

I did not ask him to do laundry or ask him to help at all.

Plus my TV time is too treasured by me to spend finishing someone else's chores! By not folding (he thinks of folding as a shared / anytime chore ) he has created a problem that I'm stuck having to deal with. If those same clothes were still dirty in the basement waiting for their spin in the washer that problem wouldn't exist .

• Like 2

I did not ask him to do laundry or ask him to help at all.

Plus my TV time is too treasured by me to spend finishing someone else's chores! By not folding (he thinks of folding as a shared / anytime chore ) he has created a problem that I'm stuck having to deal with. If those same clothes were still dirty in the basement waiting for their spin in the washer that problem wouldn't exist .

I feel your pain. Have you asked him to stop doing laundry? Is there a way you can keep it up to the point there is none for him to do?.