Menu

How do you lighten your period?

mommyoffive

Has anyone done this?  I thought one time I read that you can do things to make your period lighter.  Maybe it was take aspirin or something?  I can't recall as it was 2 years ago that I read this. 

My cycles after babies are always so horrible and I think I am going to have one soon. 

:(

Has anyone done this?  I thought one time I read that you can do things to make your period lighter.  Maybe it was take aspirin or something?  I can't recall as it was 2 years ago that I read this. 

My cycles after babies are always so horrible and I think I am going to have one soon. 

Advil each of the first couple of days worked for me. I wished I known decades before.  The flow slowed down enough for me to get through the day.  It got pretty heavy in the last few years. 

Not aspirin - that can make it worse.

I too just discovered that Ibuprofen works.  Yay!  I wish all women knew about this.  I only use it when it's crazy, but it seems better than going to the ER for excessive bleeding.  :)

• Like 3

If ibuprofen doesn't do it, I've loved my endometrial ablation. My periods were horrid. Various less invasive options did not work (tried Mirena, birth control pills, etc.). After my ablation I have a few days of spotting. That's it. I knew I was done with babies, though (you can't carry another pregnancy once you get this done).

Edited by Veritaserum
  • Like 1

If ibuprofen doesn't do it, I've loved my endometrial ablation. My periods were horrid. Various less invasive options did work (tried Mirena, birth control pills, etc.). After my ablation I have a few days of spotting. That's it. I knew I was done with babies, though (you can't carry another pregnancy once you get this done).

Yep, my ablation is the best thing ever. I wish I had done it sooner after I was done having children.

I am highly skeptical that Advil or cloth pads lighten periods.  How?   I'm not talking about reducing pain or cramping.  But lightening the flow.  Do those things really do that?  I use both those things and believe you me my periods are not light.  If they were any worse I'd probably have to go to the ER for too much blood loss.

There are procedures they can do.  One involves I think burning, scraping, or freezing the lining.  I can't remember for the life of me what that's called.  Also BCP (which not everyone can tolerate). 

• Like 1

The reason cloth pads make a difference is they do not contain the chemicals that regular, disposable pads contain. Regular disposable pads contain a lot of chemicals which can really cause problems for some people. Sometimes, you don't even notice that there was a problem to begin with, because all you've known is the mainstream disposable products, but when you come off those products you find that your periods are lighter or less painful or both.

Advil is anti-inflammatory. When it reduces inflammation and swelling that accompanies periods, I think that helps lighten the bleeding. That's my theory, anyway.

• Like 2

The reason cloth pads make a difference is they do not contain the chemicals that regular, disposable pads contain. Regular disposable pads contain a lot of chemicals which can really cause problems for some people. Sometimes, you don't even notice that there was a problem to begin with, because all you've known is the mainstream disposable products, but when you come off those products you find that your periods are lighter or less painful or both.

What chemicals, and how would they get to the uterus where the bleeding comes from? It's is a long way from the pad. 

ETA: I am aware of the many articles google turns up, but have not come across anything from a reputable peer reviewed journal I can take seriously.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 9

What chemicals, and how would they get to the uterus where the bleeding comes from? It's is a long way from the pad. 

Anything that goes on the skin gets into your bloodstream, and those areas are particularly sensitive areas.

Here is one article just for reference. You'll have to decide whether it's something worth studying on your own, or not. 

http://www.womensvoices.org/2014/10/13/testing-reveals-toxic-chemicals-in-procter-gambles-always-pads/

The whole "pads contain chemicals which increase your flow" thing is not convincing to me and I have primarily used cloth pads since I was 14, long before it was easy to even buy them and prior to the advent of widespread online commerce. There was exactly one co-op I could buy one brand at back then.

It merely LOOKS like more blood in a thin paper pad than a thicker cloth pad.

• Like 5

I disagree w/ the looks thing. Personally, I find it the opposite. LOL

But that actually makes the point that was coming to post: I don't think there has been enough independent, scientific studies to show one way or other. This means that people are going to have to take the evidence that they do have and make their own decisions. So yeah, people are going to disagree. No biggie.

Do what works for you and your daughters and let others do the same. There is no reason to run from this thread or for it to devolve into a heated mess.

• Like 2

Only online could a discussion of sanitary napkins turn into a "heated mess".

Tangentially, most women WAY overestimate the volume of their menstrual blood. Diva cup users can tell you that.

I will always be skeptical of claims that point to unnamed chemicals. When I have tried many different paper and cloth pads, I have not seen a difference. If it was "chemicals" I would see a difference between the conventional brands that don't list their ingredients and the brands that sell themselves by listing all of their decidedly pedestrian all natural products.

• Like 1

Advil is anti-inflammatory. When it reduces inflammation and swelling that accompanies periods, I think that helps lighten the bleeding. That's my theory, anyway.

Has there been actual studies done on this?  Or is that something the seller of cloth pads claim? 

Not using tampons helped.

Bioidentical progesterone (prescription) helped more and with PMS. I have pretty much no PMS anymore and am happier and calmer in general the whole month.

ETA: I went from flooding both a heavy tampon and a pad an hour to just changing a pad every few hours due to grossness factor but not because I needed too. Actually I think stopping tampons helped more with the cramping. But I still used them on the heaviest days and couldnt leave the house or anything due to the flooding. Now it's a few days of medium to light flow. Amazing!

Edited by busymama7

Take Aleve twice a day as soon as it starts. Works wonders and should cut the bleeding in half. You can google naproxen and menstrual bleeding for studies, etc. 

SaveSave

• Like 2

Meclofenamate, beginning at the first sign of a period, significantly reduces my flow, to the point that my hemoglobin has inched into the low normal range for the first time in decades.  It also decreases the length of my period.  It's based on the same principal as those recommending Aleve, decreasing prostaglandin synthesis, but also blocks leukotrienes.  It is also in capsule form and taken less often. I take it for 1-3 days depending on the month.  All NSAIDS, at dosages to impact prostaglandin synthesis, have potential side effects.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is the reason, but I haven't had a heavy one since I started taking Nordic Naturals Omega 3-6-9. I actually keep the bottle on my dining table because I have to take it with meals and, in the past, I have not succeeded in regularly taking supplements that need to go with food. I have to keep it there on the table where I won't forget.

I have had relief of other problems as well: acne, extreme irritability and my wierd agoraphobia-like hibernation thingy. Again: could be my perimenopause has just cut me a break, but all these things improved in the two months since taking Omega complete.

• Like 3

Heavy periods can be a symptom of hypothyroid.

Yup. We diagnosed mine by me practically hemorrhaging. It was the only major clue at that point because the labs didn't reveal it, and then we figured out that was because it was secondary to my adrenal issues and my labs were atypical for a hypo patient. But bleeding like a stuck pig (like overflowing a cup AND pad together in fifteen minutes of moving around) was the clincher to the general exhaustion and malaise.

Take Aleve twice a day as soon as it starts. Works wonders and should cut the bleeding in half. You can google naproxen and menstrual bleeding for studies, etc.

Save

Save

This. ^^^^

Ibuprofen works also. They key is to take whichever one, *regularly* at the first sign of your period.

Yup. We diagnosed mine by me practically hemorrhaging. It was the only major clue at that point because the labs didn't reveal it, and then we figured out that was because it was secondary to my adrenal issues and my labs were atypical for a hypo patient. But bleeding like a stuck pig (like overflowing a cup AND pad together in fifteen minutes of moving around) was the clincher to the general exhaustion and malaise.

Not to be nosy and this is sidetracking thread, but was the bleeding heavy just the first say 2-3 days of period or for the entire period? Mine heavy become heavy two days or so of period and then very light until the end. Of course, I'm early 40s and breastfeeding, so my body is probably confused in multiple ways. Lol.

I ask because I have adrenal fatigue, but thyroid labs always come back well in range (even.according to STTM types ;).

It was gushing like that for five to seven days and another two normal days before tapering off and starting again a few weeks later. Long and heavy, but not atypically long in duration for me.