Menu

Does your dh like Epcot?

PeterPan

I know a lot of people here have been to Disney.  We're newbies and trying to tuck in a day or two when we go for a wedding in FL.  I know in theory it could/should be longer, but it won't be.  The plane tickets are bought and it's a done deal.  And I know one day will be me and ds at Magic Kingdom, while the guys (dh and my father) go do guy things.  The other day I was thinking Epcot or a blend of Epcot plus Hollywood Studios.  If we did the blend, it would be with a park hopper ticket and we'd maybe do Fantasmic in the evening.  And that of course opens options like doing MK + a couple things in AK for a break the other day.  

My dh is concerned that ds will drag us through Epcot and be bored.  And he's concerned HE'LL be bored.  So what say you?  Do men who are sort of active, busy, and NOT into Disney like Epcot?  :)

• Like 1

I don't know if we're representative of any sort of typical family, but every single one of us (me + hubby + three boys) all like Epcot as our favorite Disney park.

That said, we also tend to like other "natural" destinations better than anything Disney, but we still go to Disney once in a while for the Amusement Park aspect.  We just chuckle at their "version" of things like Thunder Mountain or the Jungle Cruise.

If you go to Epcot, be sure to catch Canada's film.  It's one of our favorites.  Soarin' is a fun ride/film too.

• Like 2

Mine does not like it.....there is little to do, and ride lines can be crazy long because there are so few rides, relatively speaking.

Epcot is our least favorite park (including the fireworks). We spent 2 full days there our first trip. We did Future Worldone day and loved Test Track and Soarin'. We did the passports around the World Showcase the second day and watched all the movies. Those were good, but we don't have to see them again. We did go at Christmas and enjoyed seeing how the different countries celebrate the holidays. There are a lot of shops and eateries and we aren't into that.

We went back for a half a day our second trip to ride our 2 favorite rides there. We are going back for our 3rd and probably final trip in November, and will do the same. Not one of us wants to see anything else there. We seem to be the odd man out on this site :-)!

• Like 1

Epcot is our least favorite park (including the fireworks). ... Not one of us wants to see anything else there. We seem to be the odd man out on this site :-)!

I know, it's amazing!  We've got a family friend visiting who said to him Epcot is a DUDD and that dh wouldn't like it.  And he knows dh really well, sigh.  So I'm curious to figure out what explains the big spread here.  It's like guys either REALLY LIKE it or just don't.   :lol:

We enjoyed it....but we did it on a Make a Wish Trip so we didn't have the lines, etc to worry about.

I am not sure it would be worth the cost of the one day tickets or park hoppers for just the one day.

What about visiting other areas by Disney that don't require tickets?

• Like 1

We love it. We like to go to the world showcase and eat dinner or dessert, have some wine, and hang out while our dc do their thing.

I think when my boys are older, this might work for us -- LOL. They are 11 and still want to hang out with mom and dad. There wouldn't be much at that park for them to want to do their thing though.

• Like 1

I know, it's amazing!  We've got a family friend visiting who said to him Epcot is a DUDD and that dh wouldn't like it.  And he knows dh really well, sigh.  So I'm curious to figure out what explains the big spread here.  It's like guys either REALLY LIKE it or just don't.   :lol:

I think it you're looking for thrill rides (like top of the line roller coasters), Disney isn't really the top of the list.  Busch Gardens in FL is definitely better for that IMO, and of course, there are other amusement parks all over that have taller, faster, more adrenaline rushing rides.

What we like about Epcot is the combo of past (Spaceship Earth), present (World Showcase), and future (Test Track), with all three sort of mixed in with most exhibits.  There's the Land with the gardens, The Living Seas for an Aquarium stress release, Soarin' for it's beauty, etc, etc.  We aren't there for the "thrill" or "adrenaline."  We're there for the dreaming and reminiscing.  Then the new(ish) Canada film is nice comic relief replacing their old one.  World Showcase also has some performers that are fun to watch and we like the US History show in the US Pavilion.

We can easily spend 3 or 4 days in Epcot and not have it get old.  We're happy skipping MGM/Hollywood, but will do the Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster if we go there (they have some of the "thrill" to them).  Animal Kingdom is our least favorite as there are far better zoos out there (including Busch Gardens again).  The Magic Kingdom has some nostalgia to it for us and a handful of rides we like (Splash Mountain, Space Mountain - but that's 3/4ths nostalgia, Carousel of Progress), but most of the things there bore us.  We'll do them and are "done."  With Epcot, we love wandering, looking around at the exhibits and find quite a few things we can do over and over again just for the fun of it.

Whether you (or your family) will like it will depend entirely upon what you are looking for in a park.  If it's just thrill rides, Disney (overall) will probably disappoint if you have much to compare it to.

• Like 1

It all depends on what your DH likes, but our whole family loved Epcot when we were there last year (me, DH, 10 year old boy, 4 year old girl). The rest of the family prefers FutureWorld to the World Showcase whereas I prefer the World showcase, but we all enjoy both areas. If what you DH loves is thrill rides and nothing else then he'd hate Epcot, but if he could enjoy a fairly relaxing day just seeing entertaining and educational exhibits and going on the occasional ride, then I highly recommend it. My DH and DS went on Test Track through the single rider line half a dozen times with almost no wait. I'm not sure if your 7 year old would qualify to go through the single rider line, but he might.  Don't count on being able to do the Frozen ride unless you want to do only that, but you don't have a little girl, so that will probably be okay. Our whole family enjoyed the boat ride inside the Mexico pyramid. DD and I went on it three times in a row. There's usually no line to speak of. Oh, and I disagree with those who don't recommend splitting the day between MK and AK. It's definitely not essential, but AK has two rides that I think make the park worth visiting - Everest and Kali River Rapids. There are also some characters you can only meet there, if you're into that.  I think your idea of splitting the day between Epcot and Hollywood Studios is also a good one. We actually didn't stay at Epcot long enough on either of our trips to see the evening fireworks show, but Fantasmic is absolutely amazing, so it's definitely worth going over there in the afternoon and staying for it. Plus, Hollywood Studios has the only rides at Disney that even mildly qualify as thrill rides. If there are any reservations still available for the Fantasmic dinner package during your trip, snap one up.  You get wonderful seating.

• Like 1

We love Epcot!

Epcot is my husband's fave.

I like Magic Kingdom best, then Epcot.

Meg loves Animal Kingdom the most, then Epcot.

We always plan for a couple of days there. :)

And if you drink alcohol at all, try the Grey Goose slushies in France. I don't really drink but I do drink those GG slushies. :cheers2:

• Like 1

DH likes Epcot.  Our favorite time is the Food and Wine Festival at Epcot.  YUM!  

Do you know about Kidcot?  

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/kidcot-fun-stops/

It is fun for the kids to get their stamps around the world.

And there is also the Phineas and Ferb: Agent P's World Showcase

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/agent-p-world-showcase-adventure/

My kids enjoyed these (and we had fund with them!) and they are free.  

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

We were on 4 day "Park Hopper" tickets in WDW the last week of April 2016.  We had programmed an entire day for Epcot. My wife and I had been in Epcot in mid May 2000, when she was pregnant, and we enjoyed it.  This time it was a big disappointment for us.  The first thing was that near the entrance that morning, near a big attraction the name of which I do not remember, my wife and DD said there was a strong smell of Urine.  We were in the Mexican area and my wife wanted to go to the American area, where we'd taken photos in May 2000, retake them with DD, and see things there. It was too hot for us to walk that far. We left Epcot early and we went to Animal Kingdom (which I believe was the favorite of the 4 WDW parks for our family) and then we left there and went to Magic Kingdom to ride the train, which wasn't operating the day we'd been in MK, and for DD to look for something she hadn't purchased the first time we saw it. We had a super parking spot near the entrance to Epcot that day and we returned that night to get our car and go back to the Timeshare.  We only spent one day in Universal Orlando and we regret that. In retrospect, we should have spent two days in Universal (not just one day) and three days in Walt Disney World (not 4 days).  We also spent one day in Kennedy Space Center which is a must stop for our family. There was no shade in Epcot when we were there. Lots of concrete and that's why it was too hot for us to walk to the American section from the Mexican section.   Have a good time!

• Like 1

My DH loves Epcot, but he also lived in Germany while stationed, and it's his way of "visiting" it again, including eating at the restaurant. It was probably the kids least favorite park. They didn't enjoy it as much as we did. The ride Soarin is supposed to be amazing, but we were unable to ride it (lines too long every time we tried and was out of order the morning DH and the kids went there at park opening to try to catch it). The night fireworks were cool, we enjoyed them. 

If I were you, I'd split Epcot with another park, such as Hollywood Studios for the day. We had a lot of fun there and my kids enjoyed those rides more than MK. 

• Like 1

Epcot is my DH's favourite park. His dream is to go to Epcot sans children, with another couple, preferably during food and wine festival.

Dh and I are going to WDW in 36 days :party: sans children :party: for Food & Wine and our 25th anniversary :party:

We've been making plans to go during F&W with friends as soon as our youngest kids are in college :D (Dh and I have been three times during F&W do far.)

• Like 3

Dh and I are going to WDW in 36 days :party: sans children :party: for Food & Wine and our 25th anniversary :party:

We've been making plans to go during F&W with friends as soon as our youngest kids are in college :D (Dh and I have been three times during F&W do far.)

Oh, you ARE a lucky mama!! We've been to F&W two or three times, too, with the kiddos. I joke with DH that F&W might not be as much fun without a stroller to, um, push! He and his dad quite voluntarily took the kids and stroller for their sampling of beers around the world ;) All in good fun, of course!

• Like 1

There are usually a lot of live acts going on in the various countries. Chinese acrobats, bellydancing, singing groups, that type of thing. You can just wander around and pause when you see something, or check the schedule if you'd like to see certain things. 

A lot of Epcot is trying different foods, looking at different products and designs, and watching shows as above. There are plenty of character meetings for the kids. 

If he likes cars, Chevrolet has a cool showroom as you exit Test Track, my dh generally spends too much time there  :001_rolleyes:

All of us like Epcot. 

• Like 1