Menu

Suppose you're getting dinner from Costco, but not pizza...

Ali in OR

The enchiladas, the stuffed peppers, the salad with the poppyseed dressing, the chicken alfredo, or the rotisserie chicken . . . all from the fresh food, take-n-bake section near the chickens. Not that I don't cook from scratch every night.

Oh, and sometimes I get the croissant sandwich platter and we graze for days.

😬

ETA: the mac n cheese

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 4

For us, it is the rotisserie chicken but we live close enough to have it still be hot when we get it home.  We have it with salad, canned green beans and rolls.  I only buy it for a quick dinner, so the sides are never fancy.

I grab the chicken salads from the front of the store on occasion. They aren't super cheap but make a decent meal for when we need to eat on the go.

My coworker eats a lot of their take and bake food.  She likes it but it is usually a little salty to me.  

• Like 3

Honestly, I would get something for self defense if I promised dinner from Costco and did not bring pizza. There would be a revolt.

And my youngest would eat pizza every night if possible. I would too if I didn't feel mom-guilt that I'm not supposed to serve pizza every night!

Rotisserie chicken and croissants are sounding good--I'm going to have to look more carefully to see what sandwich trays our store has. You guys rock--lots of great ideas and lots of stuff I didn't know exists!

We really love their garden veggie burgers. Those are quick to pull together with some buns. I would get a salad to accompany. Also, they have some really great fresh stuffed pastas (raviolis and such) and refrigerated sauces. Those, too, are super-quick to cook up. Again, just grab some salad (maybe garlic bread, too!) and you're good to go.

Edited by Audrey
  • Like 2

The caesar salad in the prepared food stuff is really good.  Top with rotisserie chicken, adn you are good to go.

I also like the kale salad (with some sweet-ish dressing) in the super cold room.  It comes in a bag.  Also with the chicken.

We don't like their chicken salad, but most people do.  

If it's for a fast meal (not take home), my children are huge fans of the hot dogs.  :)  They've been known to choose it as a birthday meal before!

• Like 1

And my youngest would eat pizza every night if possible. I would too if I didn't feel mom-guilt that I'm not supposed to serve pizza every night!

Rotisserie chicken and croissants are sounding good--I'm going to have to look more carefully to see what sandwich trays our store has. You guys rock--lots of great ideas and lots of stuff I didn't know exists!

No guilt in pizza every night. Pizza can cover all of the food groups if you top it right.

• Like 1

The no effort meal - rotisserie chicken and the Asian Kale Salad.

The low effort meal, panko crusted chicken tenders, bag of frozen broccoli, and whatever dry packaged starch that appealed to me (Annie's mac and cheese, they have some really good rice and/or quinoa blend things, etc). 

Also we really like the pretzel buns but they are pricey so I only get them for a special treat if they are on sale (still pricey but not as bad)

• Like 3

Does fresh fruit, cowboy caviar, and a bag of chips not count?

This absolutely counts--sounds really good in fact. So, stupid question--Costco has a pre-made cowboy caviar? Or would I have to put it together myself?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned hot dogs yet, except that is more so lunch food. So not good for you, but the easiest and cheapest option besides pizza. I would serve with fresh fruit of choice, baby carrots, and salad to counter guilt about the main course.

I would totally do hot dogs, but I typically have one for lunch in the food court when I do my Costco runs. But I could do pizza there...

• Like 1

This absolutely counts--sounds really good in fact. So, stupid question--Costco has a pre-made cowboy caviar? Or would I have to put it together myself?

Seriously? Mix it myself? That's //cooking//. It's in a tub. In the fridge section. The hardest part is getting that plastic shrink wrap off inside. Sometimes it tears and then you have to find a knife and cut the rest of it off. That's annoying.

• Like 5

I do like their chicken.

Also the Ling Ling chicken potstickers are pretty good, along with a veggie stir fry or just carrot sticks.

Sometimes they have fantastic pre-marinated pop into the oven and die happy stuffed pork tenderloin.  It cooks pretty fast.  You just take the wrapper off and put it in the oven.  I like a bagged salad along with it.

If you want some of their outside 'where the pizza is' stuff, OMGosh, those big honking chicken stuffed sandwiches are much bigger than the picture looks like, and are wonderful.

• Like 1

First of all, I recommend not shopping at Costco near the beginning of the month (payday) on a Friday before a holiday weekend. Nightmare!

But I have dinner. I went with the food-demo impulse buy. They had different flavors of kielbasa sausages and I remembered that my youngest and pickiest eater loved those when they had them about this time last year. I tried the roasted garlic and the beef and cheddar but went with the roasted garlic. If anyone wants a bread product with that they'll have to figure out how to slice it and fit it on a torta roll because I decided not to buy 3 dozen hot dog buns just for dinner. That would last us about a year. And then I got fresh peaches to go with. Pretty lame compared with some of the amazing options presented here, but we're headed in multiple directions at multiple times tonight, so I think this will work okay. I would have got a small sandwich or roll-ups tray if I could have found one everyone would eat (that picky eater again).

I'll be looking for that cowboy caviar next time--I didn't try to maneuver into that corner with the other 36 carts in that area. Thanks all--lots of great ideas for future trips.

• Like 2

Churros and frozen lattes? :)

My kids like the fettucini alfredo chicken which is in the ready to cook meals section (little foil trays includes meatloaf, tortilla turkey rolls, etc.)

We like their precooked shrimp there too. (Cilantro lime, I think.)

Our store in SW Florida has a frozen Greek Pastito which was delicious, and tastes just like Egyptian Macarona Bechamel.  Our store up in NE FL does not carry it. :(

• Like 1