Menu

A general survey of the chat board about homeschooling

Tap

Home School survey  

467 members have voted

1. 1. Home School survey

• I have not home schooled full time and do not plan to
    • I have not home schooled full time but am considering it
    • I have not home schooled full time but have after schooled / enriched topics not covered in traditional school (not just tutored the same topics taught at school)
    • I have not home schooled yet, but am currently planning for an upcoming school year
    • I have formally home schooled pre-K or Kindergarten
    • I have home schooled full time a 1st-5th grade student
    • I have home schooled full time a 6-8th grade student
    • I have homes schooled full time a 9-12 grade student (includes super seniors up to a high school diploma)
    • I have home schooled full time, beyond 12th grade (after high school diploma)
    • I have home schooled full time but don't fit any of the above categories.
    • I have home schooled part time pre-K or Kindergarten
    • I have home schooled part time 1st-5th grade student
    • I have home schooled part time a 6-8th grade student
    • I have home schooled part time a 9th-12 grade student
    • I have home schooled part time beyond 12 grade (after high school graduation)
    • I have home schooled part time but don't fit any of the above catagories

I homeschooled my son from Kindergarten (he came home after a couple of months) through 12th grade minus 13 days in a 4th grade public school classroom which we knew was a mistake immediately. He's in college now.

I homeschooled my oldest dd 11th and 12th grades. She's been working full time since she graduated.

I homeschooled my youngest dd on and off from preK through 5th grade. Then exclusively homeschooled middle school. Then she attended a public high school. She's in college now.

I would totally homeschool again! I have very few regrets.

• Like 1

DS11:

preschool but was bored so quit after a semester and he self taught

K-4th was B&M public school then online charter for subject acceleration

5th- homeschool under PSA but with math, science, languages other than English and music outsourced

DS10

K-2nd - online charter for subject acceleration

3rd - homeschool under PSA but with math, science, languages other than English and music outsourced. We skip 4th but would had skip 3rd if we stayed with charter because the grade skip process was activated in 2nd.

I have homeschooled 2 all the way from preschool to high school graduation (except from some DE classes at the local liberal arts college.)  My oldest graduated college with honors and is working while applying to grad school.  Middle kid is dealing with mental health issues and is on leave from college.  My last child, I am homeschooling her part-time.  She attends public high-school for many of her classes, but does English and Math at home.  It is was she wanted.  

Oh, and regarding unschooling ... not to start a debate, just giving my .02 ... I started out as an unschooler.  John Holt was my hero..  But, unschooling is a lot of work.  I didn't just let my kids do whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. It was intentional in a very different way.  We had very limited screen time (tv off all day unless there was a specific video we wanted to watch.)  Limited media (pre-internet days.)  I carefully chose materials to have around the house.  I took lots of time to research field trips and hands-on learning activities that I thought would be of interest.  I was available to my kids to help them do the things they wanted to do.  I was dragged kicking and screaming into a more structured way of schooling because the third child just about did me in and I just didn't have the energy to do stuff without structure.  My kids were stagnating without their energetic "Ms. Frizzle" kind of mom.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 3

I've HSed both kids from the beginning full time although they both have tried out PS a couple times for various lengths of time (2 weeks -3 months).

Up until recently I've been a traditional leaning eclectic HSer.  DS still does best with planned curriculum (I make the plan using textbooks and other resources), DD not so much.  She has been "unschooled/interest led" ,which to me is 100% HSing, for a couple years.  This year she's wanting more structure so I've done what I can to fit her eccentricities (it would take pages to explain this wonderful, crazy, kid).

They're in 7th and 9th officially (the state of TN makes you list grade level) but we've always thought of them as a grade above.  DS is dyslexic and wants an extra year before ACT/SAT testing and DD went with the lower grade so she can take a gap year after she turns 18, she'll bulk up on credits for 9th-11th then do some experiential/unschooling stuff (she wants to do volunteer work, travel, and be a "World Scholar") for credit in 12th grade (that's her current plan anyway). 

I have homeschooled full time since the 1999-2000 school year. :)

My oldest when to a private school for K and 1st. He was then homeschooled through high school. He just graduated summa cum laude with a BS in Computer Science. :D

My dd was homeschooled K-12. She starts her junior year of college next week.

My youngest has been homeschooled from the beginning as well. He will be 11 in September.

I've homeschooled the oldest K-12. She took outside art classes, one writing class, monthly science classes at our Natural Science Museum, and a few enrichment classes through 8th grade. She took a few dual credit classes in 9th, 11th, and 12th grades.

I'm still schooling the youngest - currently in 10th. She takes outside voice and piano lessons and has taken a speech/debate class. She is starting dual credit with one class this fall. We have a small bunch of like-minded homeschoolers were we do science labs together for the past three years. We could do it alone, but somehow having lab with others makes sure we do it!

I put "I have not home schooled full time but have after schooled / enriched topics not covered in traditional school (not just tutored the same topics taught at school)." I guess I could have said that I did part-time when my kids were in prek, but they did a 15 hour a week preschool which isn't that few hours for preschool.

We have always home schooled in some form or fashion. There was about a year and a half of our time in Brazil that was almost fully on-line via TTUISD, due to laws changing in country while we were there. I supervised, but grades were issued by TTUISD, tests had to be proctored by an official proctor, etc. It was all done at home, but other than helping with math, it was not much like the hs'ing we had done before and since.

When we returned to the US, we began using a home school enrichment class offering for some subjects, and dual credit at the cc for others, once old enough, and some back at home in the traditional sense. Because of these factors, I marked full time for each category, and part time for middle and high school.

Oldest (now a graduate) was fully home schooled, from PreK to graduation, with 9th and half of 10th done on-line, half of 10th fully home schooled, and 11th and 12th being a combo of enrichment classes, dual credit classes, and at-home subjects.

Middle (entering 10th grade) was fully home schooled through 5th grade, did 6th & 7th grade part home subjects and part on-line, and starting in 8th grade did a mix of at home subjects and enrichment classes. He will have some dual credit classes starting in 11th as well.

Youngest has been fully home schooled always, with a few enrichment classes. He does fewer outside classes (and not core subjects) due to severe dyslexia and other learning disabilities.

I started actively home schooling my oldest in 2001, when he started asking to read (PreK/4 yrs old), and basically we haven't stopped since.

I have homeschooled all three of my dc pre-K through 7th grade. Oldest went to public school from 8th through high school. Middle ds went to school 7th-11th grade then came back home in the beginning of 11th grade and homeschooled through graduation. Dd has homeschooled exclusively and is formally beginning 9th grade this year.

DD #1: Public preschool 2 half days per week. Homeschooled halfway through K until halfway through 4th, when she was enrolled in a university model school (part time homeschooled) until halfway through 5th. Currently full time homeschooled for 6th.

DD #2: Homeschooled until halfway through 1st, then enrolled in aforementioned university model school through 2nd. Currently homeschooled for 3rd.

DD #3: University model preschool and K 2 days per week. Now being homeschooled for K/1st.

DD #4: She's only 2 :)

3 kids, always homeschooled. Oldest is entering sixth. I teach all core classes, however they've done a coop that could include science, history, art, technology. I always look at coop as 'extra', and do not count on anything from it-IOW, I still teach history and science at home. I do not teach their PE, which is gymnastics. Our plan is to continue homeschooling through high school, so long as it continues to be the best choice for everyone.

I've always been an eclectic homeschooler.  But at least for the families I know, I consider unschooling a form of homeschooling.  Many of the families I know are working harder to provide meaningful learning opportunities for their kids than me. 

So true. The unschoolers I know run their tails off to meet their kids' needs, whereas my "kids need books and lessons and structure!" approach really has not turned out the way I thought it would here *sigh* Crow tastes terrible :glare: Anyway...

I've HSed two kids FT from K onward. They did go to private pre-K, but that was more because I was still working then. I haven't HSed high school yet, but I plan to (barring some drastic change in our lives).

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I notice that a few people voted that they've homeschooled beyond 12th grade/after high school diploma (one part time, several full time). What does that look like? You can't award your child college credit or a degree (as far as I know!), so I'm confused by that one.

I was wondering about that too. Maybe dual credit??? Or perhaps that Accelerated Distance Learning stuff that awards a degree for combining CLEP and such exams?

Edited by Kinsa

DS #1(current college sophomore) full time preschool and 3rd-6th (he returned to public school in 7th grade but I still taught him part time at home to supplement)

DS #2 (recent homeschool graduate) full time preschool and 2nd-12th grades

DS #3 (current high school sophomore) full time from preschool to present

DD #1 (current 8th grader) full time from preschool to present

I notice that a few people voted that they've homeschooled beyond 12th grade/after high school diploma (one part time, several full time). What does that look like? You can't award your child college credit or a degree (as far as I know!), so I'm confused by that one.

Online college with the student still living at home and participating in the family's educational outings? Especially if the child started college before turning 18 I could see "counting" him/her as a HSed student.

Always intended to homeschool (after oldest son was 3 years old, that is). 

Currently homeschooling K/1 (not sure where he will land with a cutoff birthday, probably K since we will enroll in a homeschool support this year and he could benefit from a slower year), 3rd and 4th. 

We have used an umbrella charter for curriculum support but not a pre-packaged curriculum a la K-12.

We have grown a one-day-a-week co-op for art, science, and rotating electives. These classes are not the core of our home curriculum, except when I teach the science portion ;)

Always intended to homeschool (after oldest son was 3 years old, that is). 

Currently homeschooling K/1 (not sure where he will land with a cutoff birthday, probably K since we will enroll in a homeschool support this year and he could benefit from a slower year), 3rd and 4th. 

We have used an umbrella charter for curriculum support but not a pre-packaged curriculum a la K-12.

We have grown a one-day-a-week co-op for art, science, and rotating electives. These classes are not the core of our home curriculum, except when I teach the science portion ;)

I've homeschooled my eldest daughter since K, she just finished 5th grade.  She'll be going to ps this year.

My dd8 we've homeschooled K-2, and will do gr 3 this coming year.

I'm starting ds6 in K this year though we've done some work here and there as he was moved.

My kids are little and the question of "What is homeschooling?" is tricky.  I have always intended to homeschool my children, and work hard to have a homeschooly home.  I don't know what homeschooling preschool as distinct from parenting would look like.  Tomorrow my three year old is starting a brick-and-mortar preschool three mornings a week.  I can't speak highly enough of our preschool.  It is a play based preschool.  Personally, I believe play is developmentally appropriate for little ones.  I don't know what I would do formally at this age.  My three year old has known all his letter sounds since before he was two without being taught.  He isn't ready to begin learning to read.  We read aloud and play around with rhyming words and what not.  He doesn't have the fine motor skills to begin writing.  He understands basic concrete math, but again isn't ready for the abstraction of 3 + ___ = 5 or whatever.  

My oldest child is six.  He attended preschool when he was 4/5 and stopped because he aged out.  When he showed readiness in each area I gradually added in formal school work.  By the time he was five we had formal phonics/reading, copywork & math everyday.  He was still attending preschool for another 8 months.  

When he stopped attending preschool nothing changed.  I just didn't send him to kindergarten.  We don't live in a state where you officially home school kindergarten. I ascribe to the notion that homeschoolers don't have grades anyway.  So did I homeschool kindergarten?  I don't know.  I am teaching my child to read and write.  He came by the math on his own.  He didn't attend kindergarten and is now too old.   I guess I may have homeschooled kindergarten without noticing.

The weird thing for me was when I filed official homeschool paperwork with the state this summer.  Now my six year old is officially a homeschooler.  Still nothing in our day-to-day lives has changed.

We've homeschooled all the way and just about to start 11th grade. High school is under the auspices of the public school as they have a homeschool division with counselor who checks in monthly to see if we are getting work done. My hubby loves the hand holding, otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to continue.  In the throes of lesson plans. As usual I got too many books so figuring out what to eliminate.  Happy to say James scored proficient with the 10th grade star science test.  :hurray: Just received the scores yesterday and we are doing happy dance since previous tests in previous years were all below basic.  

I have homeschooled both of my girls all the way through 12th grade.

My oldest son has been homeschooled until now. I'm planning on putting him in school after we move (either public or private). He'll be in 11th grade.

My next two boys were homeschooled up until last year, when they both attended a small private school (small, as in 2 room school house).

The only child of mine who has done school outside of the home is my littlest boy. He has a speech delay so he attends an early intervention speech-based preK classroom in order to receive extra time with an SLP. His classes are 5 hours a week, with 90 minutes being speech therapy. (He also sees an SLP at home.)

The rest of my kids have only ever homeschooled. My oldest is starting fifth. I imagine she will homeschool all of the way through. My second will probably attend PS for at least high school in order to swim on a HS team.

I've been homeschooling since 1995.

Oldest - 1st through 12th

Second - K through 10th (1 semester in public school, considered it a social experiment, graduated early and started college)

Third - K through 8th; 9th through 12th attended a small classical school based on the university model (3 days a week) covering history, literature, science, Latin. Everything else at home

Fourth - K through 8th; 9th and 10th (so far) attending same private school as her older sister, home two days a week

Fifth - K through 9th and counting at home fulltime

1. First daughter homeschooled full time pre-K through 8th grade. Part time homeschooling, 10-12. One year full time public school for 9th grade.

2. Second daughter homeschooled full time pre-K through high school graduation. We utilized the local school for orchestra and sports, and the local university for a math class and a Chinese class.

3. Third daughter homeschooled pre-K through 4th grade, and has been a happy public schooler for 5th and 6th grade (entering 7th this year)

I homeschooled my daughter full-time for K through 10th grade.  This year (11th) we are homeschooling three classes, and she'll be taking three dual enrollment classes at the local community college.  Next year we'll only homeschool two classes, and the rest will be at the CC.

I home schooled my 4 children from K-graduation, and am now helping my dds with their own home schooling efforts (I'm gonna be the "extra-curricular" place where they come once a week for science experiments, projects, crafts, etc.).

I've been a part of these boards for 17-18 years - probably not leaving anytime soon!

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 1