Menu

Degree for a friend

Harriet Vane

ok, I looked at the website to see what they had.

One job, doesn't pay much, starts at $15,500, which is not great, but it's full time and may provide benefits. And it goes up to $26,000. It requires and SBEC paraprofessional certificate. The job is for a teaching assistant for pre-k.  

That seems like it could be a good fit.  And even if she started at the low end of pay, that's not year round, so she could work summers somewhere else.  

HTH

• Like 1

What are the medical restrictions? How many hours a day can she be on her feet?

I would suggest bus monitor, food service, or janitorial at the school district or something similar in corrections if she is physically capable.

Would it help at all to think in another direction here? Can she start to see that some jobs are a calling, vitally important but not well-paid? That their worth is beyond pay? I'd make a list: ministers, certainly care of children, animals, the elderly and disabled, lots of advocacy in the non-profit world, museums, etc.

I know this ignores the very important point that she actually needs a decent wage, but maybe as a beginning step, she can see that there are some jobs people do for love rather than money. It might help her sense of self-worth if she could view the vitally important work she already does as a vocation.

And then, maybe find a way to do it in a setting that reinforces that view. For example, many years ago my mother taught preschool to children of low-income working mothers in a sort of Head Start-like program. She knew she was helping those kids, though she never earned much money.

• Like 3

Most of the people I know with ECE degrees are not teachers in public schools, are not licensed as such and didn't take the Praxis. Many work in private or home based preschools. Here a degree helps a childcare provider earn more money. Perhaps we are thinking of different degree programs.

There are multiple Options that lead to being qualified to work in a daycare center. CC's (and many online and correspondence colleges) offer a 2 year credential, as do some 4 year schools in Child care or child development or Child psychology and development

There are also sometimes "child daycare management" type degrees at 4 year schools that are essentially a 2 year child development associates and a 2 year business degree, designed for people who will be running programs. They are usually under human sciences or some similar degree, or, for the CDM type, under the business program. Such a degree is usually the minimum to be a lead teacher in a child care program, although states differ.

The CDA is a similar qualification, and it's the one that was designed specifically to help daycare workers make more money and move up the ladder. It is a national program that uses a set of competency based tasks and modules, that usually takes an experienced daycare worker about a year to get. Some CC's offer this, as does the national program I linked above, and often Head Start programs or center daycare organizations that are federally funded will have an evaluator on staff to make it easier for workers to get this credential. It is considered an associates degree for purposes of meeting the "2 years of college" for paraprofessionals in public schools, so it can be a stepping stone to a "real degree"

ECED is the Birth-Age 7 part of education and is done by the Ed school, and those have to meet state licensing requirements. Most people who get these degrees will be planning to teach pre-K or Kindergarten (sometimes 1st) in PS, work for Head Start, or work in some other state funded preschool. Unless a program has pay parity with PS, it simply is not cost effective to get an ECED degree and actually work in child care, which usually pays little more than minimum wage.

Part of my job when I taught at the college level was teaching "Intro to child development age 3-5", which was required for both the human sciences child care program and for the early childhood education program. Honestly, I don't think that the kids coming out of the Ed school program were any more qualified, and in my experience, the best were actually the students who had raised their own children and had their little home daycares or worked in their church's preschool, and were getting their degrees a decade or more later than the traditional students. But I'm not the one making the state requirements, so for the OP, I would make really, really sure that the degree path her friend takes will meet her needs without putting too many hoops in the way.

• Like 5

Working for a head start program might be an option. She could start out in an aid position. Where I live, this does not require any certification to get the job, but does require the person to work toward a CDA. Our Head Start program will pay the tuition for the CDA and even a bachelors degree which might be helpful at her income level. Our head start likes to promote from within, so if she is capable of the tasks of a lead teacher, she has the potential to work her way up.

Head Start does require a lot of daily and monthly paperwork though, so that could be a problem.

• Like 2

deleted for privacy.

It sounds like her bigger problem is the business aspect. It sounds like her clients are taking advantage of her, whether it is intentional due to her perhaps being easily manipulated or they are truly unable to pay, it's hard to determine. Some business courses, the perhaps? Or something to help,strengthen her skills in that area, even a contract and steps for her to take regarding payment and other daily business issues.

Someone with a genuine love for children and great skills win them is a treasure. I hope she finds a way for her business to be more profitable. She has great skills, it's the business end of it that's not working.

And FWIW, I do not have a degree. Not everyone does, and many people who do are still not successful or employed.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 4

Here the CC has programs for those with disabilities.  I know that isn't the PC term, but the college actually CALLS it the disabilities' program, so that is the term I am going with.

I don't know what all they offer, but there is a program.

My son has Asperger's and some LDs.  He refuses to go to the disabilities counselor, but I have talked to her myself.  She said that even if my son comes to talk to her, all she will tell him is that he needs to tell each professor himself.  And, there is nothing official like an IEP filed.  All that to say, she may just need to talk to the professors herself or meet with the disabilities counselor herself and ask these questions.

Also, has she ever filed for disability?  It sounds like she would qualify.  It takes a few times and some effort, and they are hoping you stop going through the effort, but she should pursue it.

If she becomes certified with ECE, she could open her home for those who get the state to pay for childcare.  Her pay would be through the state and not through parents.  That might work better.

Just trying to come up with some ideas.

• Like 3

My kids used to attend tumble tots run by another city's adult education center. The gym instructor has worked for the AEC for decades. She teach classes for the under 5 from Monday to Saturday. She is an employee, not a contractor, so benefits are good.

We also know a Gymboree employee that work her way up. She was an instructor and work her way to branch manager. She still teach but also does staff management and front desk. The boss does the finance.

These may not be high paying but the chasing parents for payment, liability is taken care of. The health benefits and annual leave is decent.

I can't see a liberal arts degree at any level being much help with her main issue, which is income and job security.  It doesn't really lead to a particular set of job skills that are likely to solve that for her - people who are very talented in that way can have trouble finding well paying secure work with a degree of that kind.

I would really concentrate on taking the things that she is good at, and would enjoy, and figuring out how to create more financial security.  It is really scandalous how underpaid care work, and especially for children, is.  But it seems to me that if she can get a position where the business aspect is less her responsibility, and is managed in a more business like kind of way, it might be an improvement for her situation.  So I would be looking at what those kinds of positions might be and what the requirements are in terms of formal qualifications.

• Like 3

ok, I looked at the website to see what they had.

One job, doesn't pay much, starts at $15,500, which is not great, but it's full time and may provide benefits. And it goes up to $26,000. It requires and SBEC paraprofessional certificate. The job is for a teaching assistant for pre-k.  

That seems like it could be a good fit.  And even if she started at the low end of pay, that's not year round, so she could work summers somewhere else.  

HTH

I was just going to suggest a para job. In our district, I can think of a few paras that sound similar to her description. They really like their job, and I don't believe in our state you have to have any kind of degree. Occasionally they will get transferred to different positions, such as library assistant or even one-on-one with students with more needs. During her breaks she could enjoy another change of scenery and work somewhere seasonal. Our state benefits are really good (retirement) and help offset the low pay. 

• Like 1

Is there a local friend that could help with the business side of the day care? It sounds like a lot of her problems could be solved by getting paid for her current work.

My aunt did in home child care and she had a long waiting list. She charged the going rate and she put a bit of effort into getting grants of all kinds, for supplies and food and playground equipment.

If your friend could finish an early childhood development degree and get some help on the business end and help with grants I dont think she would be living in poverty.

• Like 1

Another thought- is her home daycare certified?

If certified, she can accept subsidy payments for families who get daycare assistance (through low income programs or foster care) & widen her client base that way to families whose payments would be partially guaranteed.

I agree with looking into school district para jobs or even food service/ janitorial at svhools or a hospital or elderly care facility.

Could she get her nurse's aide license? Here most nursing homes offer the class to get workers that way. But you need a high school diploma. No college though.

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 2

Has she had full, relatively up-to-date evaluations? 

when was the low IQ established?  if that has been many years, it may have been a biased test that ignored learning disabilities.

I agree with these. Before becoming  sahm/homeschool mom I taught kids with disabilities. My last 15 years were in high school. My students were rarely retested even though some could have used a new battery of tests. Most were tested in elementary school, placed in a program, and never tested again. They had re-evaluations every 3 years, but the school psych just looked at their files and signed off on a form. Rarely were they every truly re-evaluated. In some cases, the disability was obvious and new testing wouldn't have changed their placement, but that wasn't always the case. 

If there's a way for her to swing it financially, I'd recommend new testing. Up to date tests might actually help her both financially and with accommodations at her college or other school, once she decides on a field.

• Like 3

It sounds like her bigger problem is the business aspect. It sounds like her clients are taking advantage of her, whether it is intentional due to her perhaps being easily manipulated or they are truly unable to pay, it's hard to determine. Some business courses, the perhaps? Or something to help,strengthen her skills in that area, even a contract and steps for her to take regarding payment and other daily business issues.

Someone with a genuine love for children and great skills win them is a treasure. I hope she finds a way for her business to be more profitable. She has great skills, it's the business end of it that's not working.

And FWIW, I do not have a degree. Not everyone does, and many people who do are still not successful or employed.

I totally agree that the real issue here is that she is not managing the business she has correctly. She isn't getting good clients and she doesn't have the skills to deal with jerks. What she needs is a partner who is good at that, and then together they take on more kids.

I had a neighbor who made way more with her in home daycare than she did as an RN. But she was sharp with business and she always got paid. She was ruthless about kicking out families that didn't pick up their kids on time, ect. I went to church with a woman who had a large daycare with a friend and a couple of teens in the summer and they made very good money. Again, her partner was a tough business woman.

The real issue to me is that if the OP's friend is easy to take advantage of a career change will not help her make more money. There is always someone who will pay someone else the least they can. Even in the school system people will sense that she won't kick if she doesn't get an evaluation and a raise, so they will skip her... I know.

• Like 4

Not going to read all of the posts, but what about being an aide at a school? Like a 1-1 aide for a special needs kid, or a classroom aide for a special needs classroom (or maybe some schools even use an aide for their PreK or K classrooms - I don't know...). Here they do require a 2-year community college degree for that - I don't know if they require that everywhere, but it would be different than running her own business - she'd have a salary and *know* how much money she'd get, not having to deal with parents not paying etc.

Paralegal sounds like a bad idea (especially since you said she wouldn't be able to handle the paperwork and computer use for dental assistant - paralegal would be worse, I'd imagine).

What about suggesting that she hire somebody to handle the business aspect of the business? Payments, setting a fair rate, kicking out families who don't pay, etc.?  Perhaps even an organization like SCORE may be able to help for free, especially if they knew her situation?  It probably would only take a few hours/month.

• Like 3

My district has jobs for people to be one on one health aids in special education. A person in that position would be with the student throughout the day, learning how to help the student manage behavior and help the student with toileting or diaper changing. I'm thinking about special ed students in the k to grade 3 range might be a good fit.

• Like 1

Is there a child development center (preschool lab) at the CC where she takes classes? If so, she could look into a job there. I taught middle school until the year before my DD was born then I taught preschool for a year at a CC. The pay there was quite good compared to other day care centers, not as much as my regular teaching job, but about 2/3.

The people who worked there that didn't have degrees were either college students or they were older women who had their own in home daycare or had worked with children for many years.

Edited by kitten18

Harriet,   

I'm not sure I understand.  Just because a person is  not mathy or a writer does not indicate low IQ.   Has she been tested?   Not trying to be nosy here.

Perhaps someone in the hospitality area.    Greeter at a nice hotel, etc.  Event planning maybe.

Does her local CC have a career center that can help her? They could help her figure out some good job matches. They may even be able to get her hooked into testing for various LD's. With LD's, she may qualify for accommodations in classes that could help her improve her math grades. 

• Like 1

Even if the AA doesn't help her get a better job, it could build her confidence and would make her happy, so I hope she finds a way to make it happen.  If she gets in contact with the Student Disabilities office, there is probably something that can be done to help with her math and English issues. 

As for jobs, what about pet grooming?  It's possible to make a very good living doing this, it would be a change of scenery, and it would play to her strengths.

• Like 3

I can't see a liberal arts degree at any level being much help with her main issue, which is income and job security. 

It can if there is a job with a "check the box" requirement for a college degree. Usually those type of jobs want a bachelor's but sometimes you'll see "associate's or higher" listed. If she's only 16 credits shy of the liberal arts degree, I'd encourage her to try to figure out a way to finish it if she can.

• Like 1

Harriet,   

I'm not sure I understand.  Just because a person is  not mathy or a writer does not indicate low IQ.   Has she been tested?   Not trying to be nosy here.

Perhaps someone in the hospitality area.    Greeter at a nice hotel, etc.  Event planning maybe.

The OP said that the low IQ is confirmed, not just due to poor math and writing skills (although I certainly think that would make finishing a degree quite difficult). 

Event planning is tough and requires lots of thinking on  If she can't deal with daycare clients, she won't be able to wrangle contracts and stuff, kwim? 

I definitely agree that a vocational rehab type place would be my first stop. 

• Like 2

Dog grooming is not a terrible idea, though she would maybe need $ to start (as an apprentice/trainee at an established shop).  It does require some physical capability, though.

Do you think if she made more $ at the daycare thing, and more reliable $, that she would be satisfied without a degree?  Business courses might be a good idea.

• Like 1

She has a demonstrated gift with children- so focusing on that but with something more 'professional' might work for her. As others have mentioned, a parapro at a school might interest her but perhaps also consider a medical assistant who works with kids.  Hospitals around here would love someone with her affinity for kids- it goes a long way when you are dealing with sick kids and their parents.   The certification varies quite a bit depending on location, but in my area it takes a semester to become qualified. 

• Like 2

Event planning is tough and requires lots of thinking on  If she can't deal with daycare clients, she won't be able to wrangle contracts and stuff, kwim?

Some people do a lot better with that stuff if they're working for someone else and just implementing their policies, than if they have to deal with the sob stories and can't just use "management" as an excuse because they are the owner themselves.

The hospitality sector is not necessarily a crazy idea though. The one person I've read about who had Down Syndrome (not saying this person has that) who got a 4-year college degree got it in something like "hospitality and recreation" (I don't remember the exact name of the major, but something like that).

• Like 1

Harriet,   

deleted for privacy

Edited by Harriet Vane

I think the ideas about working for someone else are worth considering.  She would be able to focus on the kids and not have to deal with the parents.  In addition, she would have the kind of benefits (pension, medical, etc.) that someone her age really needs to be considering.  She might also enjoy the relationships with co-workers.

I wonder, too, if it might be helpful to have someone look over her finances and see if there are any areas where changes can or should be made.  With multiple options for cell phone plans and energy providers and so on nowadays, it's hard for even bright, financially-savvy people to keep up.  And of course there are all kinds of really-not-worth-it offers and options that might be able to be cancelled, and so on.

And with that in mind, perhaps someone could take a look and see if she is getting all of the government services and benefits that her disability qualifies her for.  Those, too, change over the years and a close look at what she has and what is available might be fruitful.  Things like help with utilities, rent, health care, and so on might be available.

All of this only addresses the financial side of things, and it sounds like she is wanting a change of job, a new challenge, perhaps more respect for her work.  I'm thinking, though, that if the business end of her child-care work has issues, there may be some in her personal finances as well.  It may be easier to get the changes she is seeking if her finances are in good shape.

• Like 4