Menu

Degree for a friend

Harriet Vane

How about a degree in child development? Sounds like she already knows a lot about children. Or even early childhood education.

Becoming degreed and licensed in ECED will require full distribution requirements and the PRAXIS general test, but a CDA may be an option. It's partially competency based, and is usually administrated through community colleges, so if you can find one that has good support for students with learning issues, this may be a good choice. It's still a poorly paid job, though.

• Like 2

I'd try the math. Hire a tutor. The math required for a liberal arts associates may be within reach. It's usually just algebra & doesn't require calculus. She doesn't need a great grade, just whatever the pass is. 

Or I'd consider early childhood education or the certificates in community care (for looking after people with disabilities etc) 

• Like 3

Is it actually clearly established that she does have a low IQ as opposed to learning disabilities? Has she had full, relatively up-to-date evaluations? Because some things might be able to be remediated.

Unfortunately, of course, all that can cost $$$. But depending on insurance, maybe it's possible. I don't begin to know how insurers look on evaluations for adults.

I like the idea of playing to her current strengths in child care in some fashion.

• Like 6

Ok, I don't want to be Debbie downer but how will the school be paid for? I would hate to see her straddled with debt to obtain this degree that may or may not lead to more money. What doors will the liberal arts degree open for her that are currently closed?

She sounds like a wonderful person with incredible gifts for dealing with children. I wish our society saw more inherent value in people, our greatest treasures.

• Like 17

I'd try the math. Hire a tutor. The math required for a liberal arts associates may be within reach. It's usually just algebra & doesn't require calculus. She doesn't need a great grade, just whatever the pass is. 

Or I'd consider early childhood education or the certificates in community care (for looking after people with disabilities etc) 

deleted for privacy

Edited by Harriet Vane

Is it actually clearly established that she does have a low IQ as opposed to learning disabilities? Has she had full, relatively up-to-date evaluations? Because some things might be able to be remediated.

Unfortunately, of course, all that can cost $$$. But depending on insurance, maybe it's possible. I don't begin to know how insurers look on evaluations for adults.

I like the idea of playing to her current strengths in child care in some fashion.

deleted for privacy

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2

delete requested

how has she done in those CC classes?   what would she do with a AA degree?

1ds didn't do well in math in high school - mostly the way it was taught he didn't get a good grasp of the basics.  he got onto kahnacademy (for free) and it took him back to what he had mastered and then forwards.  (into calculus.)

would she be willing to do some type of certificate program? 

someone suggested dental assistant.  there's also ultra sound techs.

at the CC, there should be a career counselor who should be able to give her some ideas of what will work for her.

Edited by gardenmom5

Ok, I don't want to be Debbie downer but how will the school be paid for? I would hate to see her straddled with debt to obtain this degree that may or may not lead to more money. What doors will the liberal arts degree open for her that are currently closed?

She sounds like a wonderful person with incredible gifts for dealing with children. I wish our society saw more inherent value in people, our greatest treasures.

deleted for privacy

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 1

I think it's probable that hiring a business consultant, who could teach her how to make more money doing what she is now, is the right answer.  But she'd have to accept that she is good at it, and that it is okay to make & charge more money for it.

• Like 6

Hmm thinking out loud maybe she needs to find a better target market. What about being a nanny? Or sitting for parents with more disposable income. I have a divorced friend who does overnight weekend stays (on the days she doesn't have her own kids) for people. She makes GREAT money!! She thought she would have to go to work full time post divorce but this job has proven otherwise. She's found the "we go out of town for long weekends" market and they are happy to pay her high prices because she's so good, reliable, etc.

Edited by purplejackmama
  • Like 16

deleted

when was the low IQ established?  if that has been many years, it may have been a biased test that ignored learning disabilities.

can she do something with animals?  they can also be very theraputic- as well as playing to her gifts with children.  (usually translates.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 6

If she has diagnosed LD's, there may be options for her to get the associate's without a typical college algebra course. She would need to speak with the college's Disability Services office and find out what exactly kind of documentation they would need from her.

• Like 4

If she has diagnosed LD's, there may be options for her to get the associate's without a typical college algebra course. She would need to speak with the college's Disability Services office and find out what exactly kind of documentation they would need from her.

deleted for privacy

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 1

Deleted upon request..

Could she be a live-in nanny for one family?

Also, my DD nannies as a sub-contractor for a lady who has a nursing degree. So, it's beneficial in that DD doesn't have to actually get the jobs or deal with getting the families to pay. She just turns in her hours to the owner, who lines up the nanny jobs?

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

when was the low IQ established?  if that has been many years, it may have been a biased test that ignored learning disabilities.

can she do something with animals?  they can also be very theraputic- as well as playing to her gifts with children.  (usually translates.)

deleted for privacy

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 2

Since she is low income, perhaps she would qualify for grants rather than loans. Also, in some areas there are programs specifically to help daycare providers beef up their credentials.

I would complete the 16 hours towards her AA and then she can explore the feasibility of perhaps springboard that into transferring the credits towards a 4 year degree in ECE. That might allow her to build a larger and more steady income at what she is already doing.

• Like 2

Yes, I'd try to get the math done so that she can get her associates. Most community colleges have free tutoring, and I'd do all that I could to make sure she went, even if it meant going with her. When I was teaching at the local community college, I had several adult students who said they went after nearly class to make sure they understood the lesson and to get help with their homework. It made all the difference.

Paralegals have to have excellent writing skills. Sometimes they have to be the front-person for a lawyer and deal with difficult situations and stressed adults. I'm not sure that's a good fit.

• Like 3

Each state has an agency that assists developmentally impaired persons find appropriate employment. For example, in Texas we have DARS. They will do aptitude and interest testing, and they will match that with a contracted employer to get the disabled person a job. The employer gets federal benefits, the disabled person gets employment, and it's a win-win. Usually a job coach will be provided during the transition period. Since you said the low IQ is actually medically diagnosed, she should easily qualify for this assistance. I don't know which state you need to work with, but I think these services usually fall under the Health and Human Services umbrella.

Another idea is http://www.thinkcollege.net .

Edited by Kinsa

What about working as a companion for the elderly?  Another place where her gifts and talents could be used and appreciated.  A friend's mother in law is in her 90's and lives alone.  They work hard to keep her as independent as possible.  This only works because they have an excellent companion or two for her during the week. Someone who helps with food prep, eats meals with her, drive her to appointments, etc.  They work on projects together like scrapbooking and family history.  This is not a nurse, but someone to keep her safe and active and provide companionship.  I know that they love her companion and pay her very well.

Could she work as an assistant teacher at a church run preschool?  I don't imagine that would be any more pay, though.

This is totally in another direction, but I have a friend who is somewhat low IQ who works on a road crew.  Her work is seasonal and she makes really good money during the summer.  Then she works in food service in the schools during the school year.  She is still very low on the income level, but seems to like both of her jobs.  

• Like 5

Not sure if this is helpful or not:

Comprehensive Transition Programs are degree, certificate, or non-degree programs for students with intellectual disabilities that: 1. Are offered by a college or career school and approved by the U.S. Department of Education; 2. Are designed to support students with intellectual disabilities who want to continue academic, career, and independent living instruction to prepare for gainful employment; 3. Offers academic advising and a structured curriculum; and 4. requires students with intellectual disabilities to participate, for at least half of the program, in: Regular enrollment in credit-bearing courses with nondisabled students, Auditing or participating (with nondisabled students) in courses for which the student does not receive regular academic credit, Enrollment in noncredit-bearing, non-degree courses with nondisabled students, or Internships or work-based training with nondisabled individuals. If students with intellectual disabilities are attending a CTP, they are able to use federal financial aid to help pay the cost of attendance. CTP were initially described and defined by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.

Honestly, even working in a day care center would give her more control versus being an in home provider.  Security, etc. 

I don't know about the best way to do a degree, but I think I would focus on finding a way to use those talents that is more financially stable and offers new horizons, etc. 

• Like 4

What about working as a companion for the elderly?  Another place where her gifts and talents could be used and appreciated.  A friend's mother in law is in her 90's and lives alone.  They work hard to keep her as independent as possible.  This only works because they have an excellent companion or two for her during the week. Someone who helps with food prep, eats meals with her, drive her to appointments, etc.  They work on projects together like scrapbooking and family history.  This is not a nurse, but someone to keep her safe and active and provide companionship.  I know that they love her companion and pay her very well.

Could she work as an assistant teacher at a church run preschool?  I don't imagine that would be any more pay, though.

This is totally in another direction, but I have a friend who is somewhat low IQ who works on a road crew.  Her work is seasonal and she makes really good money during the summer.  Then she works in food service in the schools during the school year.  She is still very low on the income level, but seems to like both of her jobs.  

deleted for privacy

Edited by Harriet Vane

Yes, I'd try to get the math done so that she can get her associates. Most community colleges have free tutoring, and I'd do all that I could to make sure she went, even if it meant going with her. When I was teaching at the local community college, I had several adult students who said they went after nearly class to make sure they understood the lesson and to get help with their homework. It made all the difference.

Paralegals have to have excellent writing skills. Sometimes they have to be the front-person for a lawyer and deal with difficult situations and stressed adults. I'm not sure that's a good fit.

deleted for privacy

Edited by Harriet Vane

If she wants a change, has she considered pursuing the elder care direction that she was advised in the cc counseling?  It seems like all these degree ideas are getting her no where, since they aren't actually working to her strengths.  I think it's totally reasonable that she at least wants consistent, paying work.  The way she's working now suits her gifts but isn't giving her consistent pay due to her inability to manage the business side (just being honest).  So then she needs to work FOR someone in a field that equally appreciates and values her strengths that will give her consistent pay and maybe some benefits.  There are lots of services now that provide in-home senior care, and there are places maybe she hadn't considered that value the *people* care aspect in their employees.  For instance assisted living residences often HIGHLY value people strengths and want them in ALL their staff.  So kitchen staff, housekeeping, all sorts of jobs include this people interaction.  That would make it pleasing to her and give her a steady income.  

• Like 12

Since she is low income, perhaps she would qualify for grants rather than loans. Also, in some areas there are programs specifically to help daycare providers beef up their credentials.

I would complete the 16 hours towards her AA and then she can explore the feasibility of perhaps springboard that into transferring the credits towards a 4 year degree in ECE. That might allow her to build a larger and more steady income at what she is already doing.

A 4 year ECED degree is considered a teaching degree, and hits all the "highly qualified" hoops. That usually means pretty heavy distribution requirements and can be very writing heavy. It also means sitting either the PRAXIS or whatever exam the state uses. I've seen a lot of kids go ECED assuming it would be easier, only to find out that it isn't. In some states, it gets even worse-education credentials are only given at the masters level or in a 5th year program. The good news is that does give the option of working in PS settings, state supported child care programs, Head Start, etc. but the bad news is that those hoops could be very, very hard to jump if math and/or writing are issues.

As far as being a paraprofessional for kids in the PS system, a CDA would qualify, and a liberal arts AA with experience with children may, depending on the state, so that might be a good way to go. That 2 years of college is a requirement if the school gets federal funds, so currently it's a required hoop.

A 4 year ECED degree is considered a teaching degree, and hits all the "highly qualified" hoops. That usually means pretty heavy distribution requirements and can be very writing heavy. It also means sitting either the PRAXIS or whatever exam the state uses. I've seen a lot of kids go ECED assuming it would be easier, only to find out that it isn't. In some states, it gets even worse-education credentials are only given at the masters level or in a 5th year program. The good news is that does give the option of working in PS settings, state supported child care programs, Head Start, etc. but the bad news is that those hoops could be very, very hard to jump if math and/or writing are issues.

As far as being a paraprofessional for kids in the PS system, a CDA would qualify, and a liberal arts AA with experience with children may, depending on the state, so that might be a good way to go. That 2 years of college is a requirement if the school gets federal funds, so currently it's a required hoop.

Most of the people I know with ECE degrees are not teachers in public schools, are not licensed as such and didn't take the Praxis. Many work in private or home based preschools. Here a degree helps a childcare provider earn more money. Perhaps we are thinking of different degree programs.

• Like 1

In NZ home based carers usually work through agencies. The agency handles paperwork and placement. Because a lot of people get government subsidy's they have to go through an approved agency. Is there something similar where you are? It would mean she could just concentrate on the kids.

I'm not really sure about this, but if she got the early childhood degree could she get a better paying job in the public school system?  I see that there are positions for assistants in the classrooms that pay a little more than subs make, plus there may be benefits.  (I've been looking at the job postings at schools. I'm thinking of subbing. But I saw a bunch of jobs that required some sort of certificate to do.  That may be doable.)

Maybe you could look on some different school systems websites to see what jobs are available and see how she could do it.  

I've always that working a job backwards is the best way to go.  Find what you want then find how to get there.  If it does require something too hard, like math, get a tutor.  Do what it takes to reach the goal.  

You are sweet to help.  It's always frustrating to see someone who works hard, does the job well, is even an important job, but is not compensated for it. Life is not fair. 

Edited by Kim in Appalachia
  • Like 1