Menu

What back to school supplies are on your list?

What are you shopping for this school year? Necessities and fun extras....

I am getting some personal lined whiteboards, new pens, maybe a fountain pen, lots of post it notes and post it tabs, construction paper, dividers for our notebooks, and back to school pj's. I think I'm stocked up on paper and art supplies. My list is pretty short this year.

• Like 2

Pencil boxes.  I am so tired of daily hunts for pencils, scissors, and other basic tools.  I plan to buy each boy his own pencil box and stock it with basic supplies.  I have everything to go in them except for pencil sharpeners and dry erase markers.  

We also need some notebooks, both graph paper and lined, glue sticks, and construction paper.  I wanted to get some scratch-art tools, but forgot to include them in my last Amazon order.  

• Like 1

We don't need much, either.

Copy paper for the laser printer

Spiral notebooks/composition books (I have lots of graph paper ones for math, but not for other subjects)

Mechanical pencils (DD has one kind she likes)

That's really it. We simply don't use up school supplies in a year, except for possibly a glue stick or two.

• Like 1

A couple of composition books, preferably in DS's favorite colors. Maybe a new glue stick. That's about it for consumables. Little Mr. Writing Allergy is still on the same pencil he started with two years ago.

We'll need a microscope by January, I think.

• Like 1

I think we eat glue sticks! lol  We went through 25 last year.  But, I had 2 preschoolers and sometimes they would just glue paper together to keep busy!

comp books

page protectors

sticky flags

LARGE sticky notes

tape-when they don't use glue, they need tape. We wasted(I mean NEEDED) 10 rolls last year

copy paper

crayons(lots)

skinny markers

poly folders

pencils

• Like 2

The usual stuff we get lots of notebooks, graph paper notebooks, so many pencils and erasers and lead for mechanical pencils. Special stuff I got this year was cute erasers, notecards shaped like animals on a d-ring for Latin and French flash cards, post-its and duct tape to cover notebooks. 

• Like 1

New dry erase lapboards

More Dixon Ticonderogas

More decent dry erase markers (not Expos, in other words)

A giant stack of comp books (it's shocking to me that they cost 250% more when you buy them not during back to school sales!)

A Better Binder for each kid for their yearlong portfolio

Some more Papermate marker pens

I already got new planners (ours ended in June). Blue Sky ones from Target. They're cute. I wish they had just, like, one more page for notes at the end. Oh well.

Some cute things. I like getting cute school supplies as treats. No clue what I'll find but I'll poke around next month when stuff actually shows up in the stores.

• Like 1

We're getting a huge stack of those cheap spiral notebooks from Walmart when they are 18 cents or something ridiculous like that. We use those for math scratch pads and go through them like crazy. For classes, I am planning to splurge on some nice quality spiral notebooks. I am reclaiming most of the binders in the house for myself - we have too many and the kids don't use them the right way (papers don't seem to find their way into the binder).

Other than that, one pack of nice pentel pens and a few packs of cheap Bic pens. For me only, a bunch of Flair pens in dark blue and black -- they are kinder on my eyes when I work math problems.

• Like 1

back to school pj's.

Wait, there are back-to-school pajamas? Huh.

I washed the couch covers while the kids were at camp last week, so now I've got 7 more pencils than I did before.

I think not having to do "back to school" shopping is one of the perks of homeschooling. I'm so happy I don't have to figure out what all the stuff on the list is and where to find it (in 5 years of public school, there was always something that either wasn't sold anywhere, or nobody knew what it was, and also, teachers always want, say 5 of something that's sold in packages of 4 only, or w/e).

• Like 9

I love school supplies and school supply shopping. Last year we just needed composition books, pencils, and dry erase markers. This year we need more supplies. It seems to be shaping up to alternate years. A big supply haul year then a year to fill in a few things we've run out of.

So far on this years big shopping list:

6 binders

Printer ink

Composition notebooks

Pencils

Erasers

Good pencil sharpener

Mechanical pencils for me

Frixion pens for me

Highlighters

Post it flags

Regular post its

Large post its

My First Ticonderoga for ds

Good quality colored pencils

Crayons

Glue sticks

Safety scissors

Dry erase markers

1 small and 1 large dry erase board

Clipboards

Art supplies like paint brushes, different types of paint, chalk pastels, sketch books

Case of Mason jars for holding pencils, pens, etc.

Backpacks because they are available and I always need one when I can never find them in the stores.

I love the idea of new PJs! I might have to add that this year. Ds is starting kindergarten this fall and I have to decorate for it. I did it for dd, so I have to continue with him. Tissue paper balls hanging from the ceiling, balloons, 1st day of school poster. Though, for him I think I might do a pennant banner instead. That will be a separate shopping trip.

• Like 1

Some variety of colors 5x8 notepads (for me to make weekly math to do lists for dd#2 & dd#3 until dd#2 starts Pre-A).

Post It Note Durable Tabs (marking our page in math, for example)

Highlighters (because we are finally out of the ones that I bought years ago)

Gel Pens for DD#1 (because that's all she uses)

and Metallic Gel Pens for anyone to use - because they are fun.

We already have a couple of these mechanical pencil kits and the thicker lead pencils for my push-hard-boys and even some of these Velocity thick leaded pencils for anyone to grab - plus eraser & lead refills.

I'm not sure if I'll need to get any spiral notebooks as I still have a lot (gently used, not cute) from cleaning out my dad's office a couple of years ago.

We have plenty of Prismacolor colored pencils that I got on sale last year, dry erase markers, erasers and boards, scissors, and clipboards. I'll need some glue sticks eventually.

I still have binders, construction paper, copy/printer paper, post-it notes (large & small), notecards to make flashcards, and lots of paperclips & binder clips.

And I just got a couple reams of colored paper. I still have colored cardstock, but may need some more white cardstock by the end of the year.

I'm not buying any more crayons or markers for awhile. We'll use what we have & see if we need anymore next year.

I may need some graph paper eventually, too.

D-ring notebooks

hole punches for 3-ring binders

Velcro topped envelope that is three-ring punched (for loose items)

Maybe comp books instead of coil notebooks (the kids smoosh the coils, and then pages won't turn)

Mini comp books for assignments at co-op

Dixon Ticonderoga pencils

Dry erase markers

Mechanical pencils. So many mechanical pencils. My kids use them constantly

A new pencil sharpener for the wooden pencils that we use mostly for sketching not regular work.

A new package of the labels I use on notebooks

Notebooks -- always notebooks -- spiral and composition.

Glue Sticks -- just a couple

Colored Pencils (always need more!)

Printer Paper

Probably a couple of new binders...

TAPE FLAGS - I love tape flags. So much.

Wait... I thought Expo was the good brand.  There's a better brand?  Do tell!

There's a couple of brands - Bic has a line of them and there's another brand called Quartet:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Marker-Erase-Markers-Color/dp/B00RY8YYYY/ref=sr_1_5?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1467741129&sr=1-5&keywords=bic+dry+erase+markers

The key thing is that they have the little ink meter on the side. Staples sells them individually, which gets pricey, but you can find good deals on Amazon. They just last soooo much longer IME. And don't dry out if you leave the cap off for like one minute in between writing (I mean, if you leave the cap off because you forgot it, it will still die - it's still a dry erase marker, but it's not as temperamental about it). The Expo ones are okay. Everything else is junk as far as I can tell.

Glue sticks (I'm going to buy a large box from Amazon)

Violin strings

Pencils

Probably some folders

A case of printer paper

Not sure what else...waiting for lists from DD's enrichment program and DS's school.

Spiral graph notebooks for math.  I think I'm down to one.

Composition notebooks.  Last year I switched to having the boys write everything (except math) in a composition book.  They had to label the page with the subject, date, and assignment day number, so it was easy to figure out what I was checking.  For every new assignment, they just turned to the next clean page.  It was kind of an experiment--I was sick of loose papers and tons of moving parts, and I was thrilled with how it worked. Any loose worksheets were proclicked into one large notebook using a large spiral and dividers to separate subjects.

I bought each of the younger 3 boys a Pelikano Junior fountain pen.  Ds15 strongly prefers the Coleto 0.4mm pens, specifically his pen that also has a mechanical pencil, so I ordered refills for him.  Oldest uses Energel pens, and I need to check how many we have left.

I went to Staples today and purchased their sale $0.75 pencil sharpeners.  I don't think we needed them, exactly, but they'll be used, I'm sure.  I live really close to Staples, so I usually buy their loss leaders each week.

Oh, each boy will need new folders to use as covers for their assignment books (I make our own and proclick them).  I like to buy the poly folders for covers.  If I find a new one that I like for me, I'd like a new one as well for my teacher book.

Oldest will be at CC for some classes starting this fall, so I bought him a new LL Bean backpack.  

lots of notebooks. I love the cheap spiral ones for work and go through them quickly, so I try to stock up when they're super cheap. Also, composition and spiral for our daily lists. 

Dry erase markers - we do a ton on the dry erase board

We have enough pens and pencils, maybe some glue? I don't have big lists. :-)

Have you tried any other brand? Do they work better? Very tired of Expos, but I assumed other brands were the same

The ones I linked in #22 (and others like them - like the Quartet ones) are good - I never see them at the Target, but they have them at Staples sometimes, though I think really you have to get them online. We probably simulposted that.

• Like 1

The ones I linked in #22 (and others like them - like the Quartet ones) are good - I never see them at the Target, but they have them at Staples sometimes, though I think really you have to get them online. We probably simulposted that.

Thanks!! I had totally missed the other post with the links, sorry!

Forgot one thing - a GOOD electric pencil sharpener. Any recommendations? Needs to be able to handle "cute" pencils aka those plastic wrapped abominations that gum up our manual sharpeners. I wouldn't buy them but dd complains far less about doing school with Frozen pencils 

• Like 2

Pencils

Erasers

Good pencil sharpener

Mechanical pencils for me

Frixion pens for me

Highlighters

Post it flags

LOVE Frixion pens!  I especially love being in Japan and the land of good school supplies. I use my Frixions all the time, have varying tip sizes, highlighters. I want them all!  On my list this year is getting my boys better organized.  I love how the Japanese, both young and old, have a single pencil case with all their supplies. Small, convenient, has everything. 

Also on my list: note cards--trying something new this year; post-its, graph composition books. I really should go through what I have already since I'm a school supply hoarder. 

• Like 2

Target here has some back to school teasers but not the full blown sale yet. My DS10 picked out

- fancy owl and apple shaped erasers in the $1 aisle

- $3 student planner which has month and week pages

- zebra stainless steel mechanical pencils because they are pretty to him

We need to get during sale

- sheet protectors for our kids loose music scores

- fountain pen requested by DS10

- microscope, my kids have plenty of time for bio labs this coming school year

We would like to get a wireless multifunction color laser printer during sale. We currently have a wireless color inkjet printer which is very slow which we got in last year's sale. We have a model in mind and could afford it now but am hoping for a sale price.

I've tried the Quartets several times & actually prefer the Expos. The Quartets I've gotten are temperamental & sometimes stop writing even when the side display shows there is still ink. The Expos go quickly, but they are inexpensive, so I always have plenty. Plus, they come in all sorts of really fun colors that make the kids not mind doing work on the white board (or mini white boards). 

Edited to retract -- Looks like Quartet comes in lots of colors, too. Never tried the Bic ones (also available in lots of colors).

Edited by RootAnn

Oh!  I need to go find me some of these.  I've not heard of them before.  :drool:

They are a little pricey but worth every penny when they stop DS's complaints about how the regular hi lighter ruined his stuff.

I've tried the Quartets several times & actually prefer the Expos. The Quartets I've gotten are temperamental & sometimes stop writing even when the side display shows there is still ink. The Expos go quickly, but they are inexpensive, so I always have plenty. Plus, they come in all sorts of really fun colors that make the kids not mind doing work on the white board (or mini white boards). 

Edited to retract -- Looks like Quartet comes in lots of colors, too. Never tried the Bic ones (also available in lots of colors).

How I hate the Bic ones.  They dry out in no time. The Crayola ones are pretty good.  

Be warned - the washable fun color expo markers tend to stain dry erase boards. Happened to several of my boards. I managed to egt them clean but had to work at it and use 90% rubbing alcohol to remove the ink. 

If I had the money, an ipad pro.   :D

Other than that, I don't need much, lol.

For dry erase markers, I've been pretty happy with the Board Dudes ones.  Target sells them in big packs.  I think maybe last year they rebadged them maybe?  Can't remember.  They're long, fat, double-ended, great colors, erase nicely, gorgeous, last well.  Basically all the things Quartet are not, lol.  

Edited by OhElizabeth

I am looking forward to buying Crayola Twistables colored pencils. My sister bought me a pack for Christmas and my kids love coloring with them. We are all sharing a 12-pack, so I can't wait for everyone to have their own set!

I'm hoping they go on sale with the rest of the school supplies.

Just a heads up- Sam's Club is starting to pull out the school supplies. I tried to find some of the deals online to post, but couldn't- they aren't showing up online. We went yesterday and they were right as you walked in. Their Crayola stuff wasn't a good deal- just cute packaging, but they had those nice 3 subject college rules notebooks with the plasticky like cover- not Mead, but a good quality- 3 for $8, so I grabbed a bunch of those because here they're normally $5-7 a piece when it's not back to school and it's been crazy hard here to find them in store during spring time. We go through a ton of those notebooks.

My list was relatively small until I read through this thread...lol

This year I need (want):

binders
sticky flags
sticky notes
pencil crayons (not because we really need them, but because I can't resist buying them for cheap during the sales)
tape
a case of paper
colored file folders
notebooks (again...they are just so cheap, I can't resist)
printer ink
white out
erasers
another Boogie board so each kiddo has their own.  We use these things daily!

I also need some type of magnetic file-folder system for the AAS tiles.  I just haven't figured out exactly what I want to do yet...my brain is in the creative stages. 

• Like 1

My list was relatively small this year. I needed printer ink, dry erase markers and eraser, and 3 ring binders with dividers. I thought we needed pencils until the kids cleaned their rooms and my pencil jar magically filled up again.

Now, if I can just avoid the fancy back to school displays...they're like Christmas to me, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

More decent dry erase markers (not Expos, in other words)

What are some decent dry erase markers? My very not-decent ones ghost horribly, even on ceramic boards.

ETA: Never mind. Obviously, I posted before finishing reading the thread!

Edited by Jackie