Menu

Toenail fungus...help please

sheryl

My toenails (both big ones and the ones next to them) are very thick and raised.   My Mom had this issue.

My sister had this issue but not to the extent of mine. 

My dermatologist said it was probably due to wrong shoe size - too small and my toes were squished together.

I don't think so b/c my Mom had it, sister had it and it's coming back as well as my female cousin.

I've had this for may 10-20 years and have not dealt with it.  But, I'm tired of it.

Apparently there was some fungus and the dr. prescribed lamictal.  That was about 10 years ago, I think.  But, that is a strong med and I opted to be on it only 1-2 months. 

Any natural/homeopathic remedies you would suggest?  I'm on blood pressure medicine.

Thanks! 

Generic vicks vaporub. Apply to the nails twice a day with a qtip. You should see them growing out in a few weeks. Keep doing it until they are completely grown out. Get the generic brand. The vicks has synthetic camphor.

Yes, I bought some but the Vicks brand several years ago.  I gave up b/c I didn't see results (hmm is that impatience!)  :)   but perhaps I should have tried longer. 

The generic Vicks in the tub?   Or, the tube applicator?

thanks all of you! 

the toenails are quite bad.  really, my right big toe and next one are very bad.  the same on the left foot but not nearly as bad.

I only tried the Vicks applicator here and there.  But, these replies are suggesting tree tea.  I bought some and never used it b/c I'm uncertain "how" to do so.  The apple cider vinegar is a good idea.  It helps so many issues. 

I may try more than one.  Is that even a good idea or should I stick with one first?  Which one should I start with?  Tea Tree or Apple CV? 

Do you soak your feet in ACV?  For how long?  The TT - do you apply then with a QTip as Miss Peregrine suggested?  And, not the same one as that could cause cross-contamination, right? 

that's encouraging. how thick was it?

It wasn't thick....the fungus started back at my knuckleand then all of a sudden I noticed my fingernail being eaten up starting in the cuticle bed. For a while I didn't have a nail, but continued to apply the oil to the skin just to be safe and now you'd never know there was ever a problem.

I did have pretty quick success clearing up ringworm (also a fungus) in my cat using apple cider vinegar several times a day so you could probably use either solution :)

It took hubby 3 rounds of the Lamictil to cure his fungus, but his toenails are awesome now. I want to say he took the 3 rounds over about 5 years, and he had regular blood work for his kidneys or liver, can't remember exactly. Anyway, if the natural path doesn't work, wanted to give you some hope that the Lamictil can work over time. (I forgot how long each round was, you probably already know since you've been on it. He didn't take it for 5 years straight )

• Like 1

You can soak your feet in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water (any kind will do, white vinegar won't stain).  You can add 20 drops or so of peppermint or lavender essential oil to make it smell a bit better (the oils might help on their own as well).

If you get a plastic boot box with a lid on it you can keep it under your bed and reuse it for several days.  If you spend 10 minutes or so soaking twice a day you'll see new nail growing in clearer in about six weeks.  You'll find the dead skin on your feet will start to slough off and you'll get baby soft feet again.  It is nice, but it also will leave you susceptible to new blisters until the callouses build back up, so be careful to wear extra thick socks with shoes that rub.

Really the thing that kills the fungus is anything that gets it outside of the pH it likes.  So treating it with something acidic like vinegar or a base like bleach helps.  Bleach might promote cancer though, so I'd go with vinegar.  It would also help to get an extra box of emery boards first and file your nails down from the top until they are as thin as normal nails.  That way the thickness of your nail won't stop the vinegar from killing the fungus.

• Like 4

You can soak your feet in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water (any kind will do, white vinegar won't stain).  You can add 20 drops or so of peppermint or lavender essential oil to make it smell a bit better (the oils might help on their own as well).

If you get a plastic boot box with a lid on it you can keep it under your bed and reuse it for several days.  If you spend 10 minutes or so soaking twice a day you'll see new nail growing in clearer in about six weeks.  You'll find the dead skin on your feet will start to slough off and you'll get baby soft feet again.  It is nice, but it also will leave you susceptible to new blisters until the callouses build back up, so be careful to wear extra thick socks with shoes that rub.

Really the thing that kills the fungus is anything that gets it outside of the pH it likes.  So treating it with something acidic like vinegar or a base like bleach helps.  Bleach might promote cancer though, so I'd go with vinegar.  It would also help to get an extra box of emery boards first and file your nails down from the top until they are as thin as normal nails.  That way the thickness of your nail won't stop the vinegar from killing the fungus.

Thanks everyone!

This is encouraging as well.  One question though - wouldn't reusing the box contain fungus material and, thus, re-infecting my foot with fungus?

I've been treated several times for toenail fungus.  It never worked.  I'm beginning to suspect that what looks like fungus to a doctor really isn't, a lot of the time.  The fact that your relatives have it too would also make me suspicious that that's not what it is.

I get the same problem in my fingernails as well, but it's a lot milder.  It goes away in the summer in my fingernails.  So my current working hypothesis is that it might be psoriasis.  And that sunlight makes it go away.  However, it's so bad in my toenails that even a summer of sun isn't enough to deal with the problem.  (My "treatment" was to go out and get some nice sandals that I could walk in so I could have my toes out in the sun all summer.  I'm on my second summer of this now.  It's possible I had a *small* improvement after last summer, but it's difficult to say)

If it were psoriasis, it is possible that coal tar might work as an over the counter treatment.  But I'm not sure that that would really get into the nails.

Thanks everyone!

This is encouraging as well.  One question though - wouldn't reusing the box contain fungus material and, thus, re-infecting my foot with fungus?

Not as long as the fungus-killing vinegar is in there.

I've been treated several times for toenail fungus.  It never worked.  I'm beginning to suspect that what looks like fungus to a doctor really isn't, a lot of the time.  The fact that your relatives have it too would also make me suspicious that that's not what it is.

I get the same problem in my fingernails as well, but it's a lot milder.  It goes away in the summer in my fingernails.  So my current working hypothesis is that it might be psoriasis.  And that sunlight makes it go away.  However, it's so bad in my toenails that even a summer of sun isn't enough to deal with the problem.  (My "treatment" was to go out and get some nice sandals that I could walk in so I could have my toes out in the sun all summer.  I'm on my second summer of this now.  It's possible I had a *small* improvement after last summer, but it's difficult to say)

If it were psoriasis, it is possible that coal tar might work as an over the counter treatment.  But I'm not sure that that would really get into the nails.

I bet it is psoriasis.

• Like 1

I had fungus several years ago and took the prescription; it was for 3 months. It took weeks to see any progress at all. It was probably 6 months after I finished the prescription until the nail grew out and all the fungus was gone. It is not a quick process. Taking a prescription (meant to be taken for 3  months) for a shorter amount of time is exposing your body to the medicine (with the associated risks) with little hope of it being effective. Hope you find something that works.

• Like 2

katy,  thanks for that!  

I'm going to try a method and rotate if it doesn't work.  My sister used TT oil every day for 6-12 months and it worked so I'm guessing it will for me too.  

I will just need to be vigilant about it. 

• Like 1

I have to agree, similar experience here.  My mom, brother, and I all struggle with toenail fungus.  Tea tree oil and cider vinegar (separately, 2 months each) did absolutely nothing for mine.  I'm going to try the Vick's Vaporub and see how that goes, but I'm not holding out much hope.

• Like 1

I have a family member who's had it for YEARS. Using some products religiously, she managed to get it off a couple small toes but the big one & two more are still totally affected. Not willing to go the serious drug route for a cosmetic issue. Other foot is totally fine. 

She's done all the stuff mentioned above.

The thing that showed the smallest amount of benefit was: using a anti fungal creme all over the foot daily PLUS using the treatments which contain amorolfine. This one specifically: Loceryl Curanail Polish 5% 

Otherwise the two options presented were : laser treatment. There is a laser that has had some success. Kind of expensive, many insurance plans don't cover, requires repeat treatments.  

Removing the nail completely, using anti fungal cremes and hoping the new one grows in fine. 

• Like 1

I took the oral medication and it cleared up pretty quickly.  I was very, very lucky however: I conceived Calvin only a couple of months after the end of the course.  I had thought we could not have children, and it's not good to use if pregnant.  

• Like 3

I don't know that this is the case for you, but I have heard of many people who have toenail fungus that ends up clearing up when they target their gut health through a very strong and effective probiotic.  I do use Plexus and initially began it because I had fungus type rashes on other parts of my body.  It has cleared it up for me.  Just something to consider.

• Like 2

I used Vicks but probably not as regularly as I should have. A couple of years ago, I tried tea tree oil. It worked and cleared up my worst nail completely. It had started to thicken and get crumbly. I've successfully used tea tree oil on a few other skin maladies, something weird on my lip that shows up every year, and a weird patch on my leg.

And of course, I first heard of tea tree oil here on the boards. :)

• Like 1

I have been using tea tree oil on my toe nails.  I soak a Q-tip in it, and hold it on the nail for 30 seconds.  New Q-tip for each nail.  I do this twice a day.  I was getting good results, and had almost completely cleared it up on several nails, when I ran out and had to use the cheap stuff from Walmart that dh had.  My nails immediately started getting worse.  I bought a different brand on Amazon, and I'm not sure that it is working as well as the first brand.  I think it really does matter what quality you get.  

• Like 2

What is the logic behind Tea Tree Oil?   ... I went to google it and I found this on one of the sites ...

"Paint the oil on affected nails twice a day for at least two months. The nail has to grow out for the toenail fungus to be eradicated, so you may not see results for a year. An alternative remedy is grapefruit seed extract used the same way as tea tree oil - twice a day for at least two months. Eating 1-2 cloves of raw garlic a day may also be helpful over time as garlic has significant anti-fungal properties."

So, I guess people with slow growing nails are going to have a harder time.  Although, I guess the Doing Nothing method is taking a long time to work, so even a year is better.  

I have two toes with it.  Within a year, I dropped something really heavy on both of the toes next to the big toes and got the fungus.  

• Like 1

From what I can tell, different things work for different people. 

I've had it for three years.  Some things would work for a while then stop.  Dissolving Epsom salt in hot water and soaking worked for two months then stopped.  Currently I'm soaking in white vinegar and water for 30 minutes per day, every single day (I even bring my dish tub in the car on road trips).  The orange-brown toenail is very slowly being lifted off the new nail which is growing in below.  I can see white, clean tissue under the bottom of the nail (not by the tip).  My set up is this:   regular plastic dish tub with many towels rolled and placed strategically to hold up two "toe soakers" :  in the kitchen department of Walmart I found silicone hand-sized pot holders.  They are C-shaped and meant to hold a thumb in one and the fingers in the other.  The whole thing is about 5 inches tall.  I cut this in half and wedge the halves between some towels, put the liquid in there with a few drops of Tea Tree oil to prevent mildew, and I sit and soak while reading or doing school work.   These can be run through the dishwasher occasionally.  I change out the liquid about once a week, adding vinegar to bring the level up daily if needed.  Hope this helps someone.

Edited because the font was tiny for some reason.

Edited by Jamberry77
  • Like 1

From what I can tell, different things work for different people. 

I've had it for three years.  Some things would work for a while then stop.  Dissolving Epsom salt in hot water and soaking worked for two months then stopped.  Currently I'm soaking in white vinegar and water for 30 minutes per day, every single day (I even bring my dish tub in the car on road trips).  The orange-brown toenail is very slowly being lifted off the new nail which is growing in below.  I can see white, clean tissue under the bottom of the nail (not by the tip).  My set up is this:   regular plastic dish tub with many towels rolled and placed strategically to hold up two "toe soakers" :  in the kitchen department of Walmart I found silicone hand-sized pot holders.  They are C-shaped and meant to hold a thumb in one and the fingers in the other.  The whole thing is about 5 inches tall.  I cut this in half and wedge the halves between some towels, put the liquid in there with a few drops of Tea Tree oil to prevent mildew, and I sit and soak while reading or doing school work.   These can be run through the dishwasher occasionally.  I change out the liquid about once a week, adding vinegar to bring the level up daily if needed.  Hope this helps someone.

Edited because the font was tiny for some reason.

Well, that's very clever!  Thanks!

• Like 1

I feel ya.  I've been fighting toenail fungus for years, since I neglected to treat some athlete's foot and it spread to the nail.  Some of my nails cleared away spontaneously, but I still have some stubborn ones.  I haven't tried oral antifungals because the risk of liver failure, though small, isn't worth it for cosmetic reason.  (Also, my feet are something of a train wreck anyway from bunions, so there's point in showing them off to the world.)  

What I do now is after I'm out of the shower and my nails are soft, I will file them with a gritty file board, but not perpendicular to the nail, like you would normally do to your fingernails.  I file carefully on top of my nail, if that makes sense, to make the nail thinner.  This accomplishes a couple of things:  (1) maybe  it will allow any topical medicine to penetrate better and (2) it improves the appearance of your nail, so you can put some polish on it and hope no one notices.  

• Like 1

OK, this thread motivated me to try ONE more thing.  This gets good reviews and I like the idea that it might help my athlete's foot, too, as some reviewers said.  It's a tea tree oil, camphor (and other stuff) foot soak!  I'll try to do some before and after photos if I get good results.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7KTEZ8/

• Like 3

Gosh, I had it on one of my toes (got it from a nail salon and I will never get a pedicure again, ever!) and I cannot, for the life of me, remember what I did to finally get rid of it. I think I finally just left it. I did the tea tree deal, I did something that ended up removing the nail and I remember painting something on it all the time. After many years, it is finally gone. I think it is worth looking into stronger treatment since, if it is fungus, it is very contagious. I was always so worried to pass it on to other family members. Good luck!

ETA: I think I had a doctor actually remove the nail at one point. I try and block all that out, lol.

Edited by Guest

Thanks y'all.  DH and I went away for a few days and I returned to more replies and suggestions.

I'm motivated again and have learned that one treatment does not fit all.  What may work for one may not work for another but there seems to be a common belief that t.t. oil works and I like the black tea idea (inexpensive).

I had my annual dermatological appointment today.  I just go in every year b/c I think it's a good idea.

My derm dr. that we, as a family, saw for about 15 got married and they moved to Utah or vicinity.

He was Mr. No Personality but I got him to crack a smile once or twice.  He was VERY GOOD!  I'm happy he got married and moved but irritated b/c he really was very knowledgeable.

Before he left he recommended Dr. x and I went in today.  I'm NOT impressed with this replacement!   I'll look for another but in the meantime I sad that it did look like my toenails were harboring fungus.  I asked him for a "natural" remedy and he suggested Vick's Vapor (Camphor). 

Many of you suggested that.  I asked him about tea tree and he was not as impressed in terms of percent of effectiveness.

He did mention having the toenails removed if I do not see improvement after using Vick's or the other one that a pp mentioned for about 6-12 months.  I asked if it could return and he said that it could return after the nails are surgically removed.  I asked if he had numbers.  He's supposed to supply me with that.

OK, well, I'm off to try this technique which will last from Christmas to this time next year. I would venture to say that even if they do "restore" that I'll always have to use something as maintenance....I'm guessing twice a week for that.

Oh joy! :)

If it's been around for 20 years, it's possible that too small or pointy toed shoes are the cause.

I do have thickened toenails on the second toe of each foot from wearing too small shoes as a child. It will never go away, and I have to file down the nails thin enough to clip.

I hope yours is treatable fungus.

Edited by ThursdayNext
  • Like 1

My Aunt has this too ( Onychomycosis).  We talked to her dr about it and found out it is very hard to treat on your own.  Chances are it will just keep reoccurring.  The best bet is to go and see a podiatrist.  There are some anti-fungal medications that can sometimes help.  I guess the new ones on the market work the best.   

• Like 1

DS, 17, has toenail fungus.  What is working now is Vicks, two times a day and wearing socks to bed, compression socks during the day.  We feel socks help keep Vicks on the nails and off the sheets.  He also had circulation issues - mainly very cold hands/feet and Raynaud's which we do not medicate.  However, we saw improvement with the Vicks only after wearing compression socks in the day.  So maybe add compression socks if circulation could be an issue???  You can get sport compression socks that don't look like the medical diabetic type ones.  Even Walmart carries these types of socks.  Tea Tree Oil didn't help him.  We used the NOW brand & some from Organix South. 

• Like 1

I'm currently trying manuka oil from amazon for dh.  I just started it, but reviewers have claimed using twice a day will show improvement in as little as two weeks  . . applied topically, it's supposed to penetrate the nail.

there are so many different remedies out there.  tea tree oil is another.  I might try if this one doesnt' work.  soaking his nails in listerine didn't work - but he's not consistent either. 

apple cider vinegar did wonders for his cracked heels . . .and it's supposed to work on toe nail fungus as well.  (soak 30 minutes every day)

be sure and sterilize clippers between each use.  you don't want to reinfect the  toe as you're killing the fungus.

eta: you want to be very careful with the oral anti-fungals.  they can be extremely hard on your liver or kidney (depending upon which rx used.)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Something else for people to try:  I posted earlier about Epsom salt, but that stopped working for me.  So after trying several other things, I thought I'd try cheap vitamin E capsules.  Surely something so easy and cheap couldn't work.  But it is working so far!  For four months I've been piercing a capsule with a safety pin and squeezing it onto the affected areas.  I try to keep the toes oily all the time and to wear sandals around the house.  I also wear moisture-wicking socks to bed and keep the feet uncovered by blankets.  One big toe nail is one-third clear, the other is one-fourth clear.

• Like 1

I know that this is an old thread but this is something I've struggled with for 15 years and I hope this can help someone. Mine was the result of undiagnosed athlete's foot spreading to my nail. I've tried various treatments throughout the years with little success. Tea tree oil, Vick's, Emu oil, ACV foot soaks, nothing worked. I'm happy to say I've found something that is finally working. It's called Fungus Stop and I got it on Amazon. It's oil of oregano in a bottle with a brush and an oral gel cap. I don't know if it's the type of oil or the fact that it's treated externally and internally but it's actually working. I soaked my foot in warm water and apple cider vinegar and clipped the nail way back and use the Stop fungus oil twice a day and take 1 pill daily and my nail is halfway grown back and is pink and healthy, finally!

https://www.amazon.com/Fungus-Stop-COMPLETE-Nail-Solution/dp/B01IR6YNVU/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1498754212&sr=8-4&keywords=Stop+fungus

Edited by KatherineNaomi
  • Like 1