Menu

Help! Father's Day FAIL!

theelfqueen

I would let DH worry about his own father on father's day. 

Traditionally, I get DH a t-shirt with the kid's picture on it every year.  I might pair it with some local beer and a nice dinner or going out. 

I delegate this task to my kids now that they're old enough.

This year my 11 year old wrote haikus for each father-figure (her dad, my dad, uncles). She printed them onto cardstock and decorated around the haiku.

The boys are making beef jerky for everyone. They've done this the last several years for both Father's Day and Christmas.

• Like 2

FIL would be DH's responsibility. 

As for DH this year, the kids (well really me since they are still young) helped me pick out a zero-gravity chair.  I got two because the kids always want to take DH's chair.  This way there is one for him and another for whichever kid of the moment wants to sit next to him. 

Soccer tickets. DC United. We'll all go.

And I got a screaming deal on a case of wine.

My first choice was tickets to a baseball game for DH, FIL, and our two DSs. But the peanut free sections sold out early this year. DH prefers soccer, but taking FIL to a baseball game would've been meaningful.

Dh is getting a new tea maker. He misses his old model, so that's the one I ordered. My dad is getting an Amazon gift card I guess? I have a couple small things headed there that aren't for him exactly, but will help him with Mom (he's a caregiver) and hopefully make his life easier. I don't shop for my FIL. Dh will get him something.

Nothing. We don't do gifts for Mother's Day or Father's Day. Mom or dad decides what they want to do, and we have favorite foods.

Typical Father's Day:

Latest possible church service

Nobody comes to visit, we dont go visit anybody. (Both of our fathers and a stepfather are now deceased)

Favorite foods to nibble throughout the day... Cheeses, good mustard, cold sausages/pepperoni, nice crackers, nuts, veggie tray w some fruit,

Dinner is whatever Dad wants, usually something that isn't precise with serving, like sandwiches rather than a roast chicken with side dishes.

We don't really do gifts.  

For the past 10 years, scout camp has started on Father's Day.  This year scout camp will start but I will also be out of town.  My friend's child is getting married in KY and I will be traveling with another friend to attend the wedding.

I found pictures (my dad's office was in my bedroom when I went to college so I think his stuff got in with mine) of him and his puppy from the 1960's. He loved that dog so much. I got them enlarged and can't wait to see his reaction. 

I got dh Hawaiian shirts at the thrift store as we are headed there with his parents later this summer. I got my FIL snorkeling gear for the trip. 

• Like 1

Kids will take care of dh, as they have since late elementary school.

Dh is responsible for his own father, so he'll get an e-card and a phone call.

My siblings and I are taking dad (and mom) out to lunch. I also got him some of his favorite candy.

DH is getting a mini beer fridge for the pool cage (or a kegerator).  I have been socking away cash every time I grocery shop so I can pay cash rather than having him see the American Express charge beforehand :lol:

My dad gets the same thing every year -  golf shirts.  Last time he showed up at our house with one of the exact same shirts I had just bought him.  Apparently I had gotten him the same exact shirt the year before.

No idea about FIL.  Usually DH's sisters concoct some very last minute gift that requires us to come up with 27 photos of our family with their dad, or photos of us holding something that means something to their dad, or holding up a letter that will be used to spell "Happy Father's Day to the best dad and grandpa in the whole entire universe" or some other such nonsense.  Thing is, we never, ever have the 27 photos they need in the next few hours to put together some photo book.  Happens every anniversary, birthday, holiday, etc.  I just laugh and stay out of it.

I bought my own "Fathers Day" gift and then I called my wife (she was out of town for 8 days) and told her about it and thanked her for it, and then I told DD about it and thanked her for it.  I suggest that you ask them what they would like to receive. It is always better to receive something one wants.  My wife told us, a month or so before her birthday, what she wanted. It was very specific. We got her exactly what she wanted.

In my case, I was looking at buying a New LCD Panel for this Dell Latitude E6400 laptop. That's $60 including shipping within the USA.  On the 8th, I won a "Mobile Workstation", a Dell Precision M4500 laptop, in an eBay auction, for $118.50 plus $24 shipping in the USA.  It is an "INCOMPLETE LAPTOP" ,so I will need to install a hard disk drive, a hard drive Caddy/Cover, and get a 130 watt AC adapter for it. When I have it running, it will be SO much faster and better than this E6400. It has a 15.6" display that is FHD (Full High Definition) and a 1 GB Nvidia card and an i7 CPU.  It arrived in Colombia, from Miami, this morning and    if all goes perfectly, they will deliver it to our house on Saturday and on Sunday, I can pose for a Fathers Day photo with it..  If not, they will deliver it to our house next week.

Ask them what they would like to receive for Fathers Day!

• Like 2

We'll probably eat out or take out and dh will get to choose. Unless he wants to grill out, then he usually takes care of the whole thing himself and all I have to do is the clean up. :D

I'm giving him a pair of hand-knit socks. Dd will probably make him a card. She might also want to get him a small gift--no idea what (gum, maybe) but she's gift-y that way. The boys are not gift-y or occasion-y at all; they'll probably just give him a hug. (Which is actually a big deal as they are both non-huggers/touchers.)

We got my FIL a gift card to a local restaurant he likes.  For DH, we got him snacks, socks, a t-shirt from the company where two of our sons work, and a baster because he always complains about ours.  I'm sure he will be surprised by the baster!

The best gift of all will be having all four kids home for the weekend.  We have three adult sons and this will be the first time our entire family has been together this year!  So excited!