Menu

Tornado alley residents

pinkmint

What do you do during a tornado watch? When there's "conditions" but not an actual tornado.

I have lived most of my life on the west coast and am still trying to get used to this. During the spring especially it's nerve wracking when there's a tornado watch for 10 whole hours of the day a couple times a week. I know things can get crazy very fast, there has been some measure of tornado related death and destruction not that far from here since we've lived here.

But how do you handle going about your day during the watches? Do you seriously not leave your house at all? Do you cancel plans etc? It's frustrating and inconvenient but I don't want to get killed either.

Edited by pinkmint

I go about life like normal unless it's upgraded to a warning.

I wouldn't get in the car and go on a two hour drive out of town and risk being caught in the storm on the road.

I wouldn't take my kids to get struck my lightening on the soccer field (and there's no nearby tornado shelters there either.).

But otherwise, everyone goes to work and school and buys groceries like normal.

Make sure your shelter location is available and ready for use. If you are at work or school, they will probably announce where you should go if the weather turns. Same for grocery stores and such. They'll start shouting telling everyone where to go in the building. If you are in the main city roads, you'd see cops diverting traffic off the roads to safe buildings. For example, mall or church basements will be opened up for public use.

The last storm to come through was ridiculous. There was no reason to cancel schools and activities hours before the storms even arrived. It was weird. I've lived here my entire life and I've never had a media call to action like that for a "potential dangerous storm watch". Ever. Warnings? Yes.

We take weather serious, but if you are prepared and know what to do, and keep your eyes on the skies, there's no reason to panic or disrupt your life too much.

• Like 3

We pretty much go about our business same as usual. We make sure the weather radios are on. I make sure there's plenty of space in the closet for all of us and that important papers, needed medication, first aid kit, flashlights, blankets, etc. are in there. I keep the dog's leash and shoes for everybody nearby (so we can grab them if the watch becomes a warning). If we're going to be out and about, we keep an eye on the weather. If DH is going to be someplace where it might be difficult for him to get a warning from traditional sources, I keep on an eye on things for him. In other words, we keep on with life but stay alert to changes. It takes some getting used to, but eventually you develop a rhythm for dealing with it.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler

Same as everyone else. Nothing for a watch. I might pay a bit more attention to the weather - check the current storm track before heading out and about, things like that. But activity isn't curtailed for a watch.

For a warning, we turn on the TV and watch the track of the storm closely. Even warnings are typically issued for an area far larger than is actually in danger. We only head to the basement if something is headed for US, not the county we live in.

• Like 2

I pay attention. I grew up in tornado alley and have a few good storm stories to tell. All my life, people around me have watched the skies. It's kinda crazy, but if it's really a cool storm out there, more than likely we are standing on the porch or in the yard watching the lightning and the clouds boil.

I have a radar app on my phone so I can keep up with where the storms are in relation to me. I'm pretty good at reading it, too.

In the 15 years we've lived in this house, I've gone in my storm closet once.....but I watch the weather and keep track of where my people are.

It seems to me that news places really over react these days. On the other hand some areas near me have had baseball sized hail in the past month. I DO like staying out of those storms!

• Like 4

We pretty much go about our business same as usual. We make sure the weather radios are on. I make sure there's plenty of space in the closet for all of us and that important papers, needed medication, first aid kit, flashlights, blankets, etc. are in there. I keep the dog's leash and shoes for everybody nearby (so we can grab them if the watch becomes a warning). If we're going to be out and about, we keep an eye on the weather. If DH is going to be someplace where it might be difficult for him to get a warning from traditional sources, I keep on an eye on things for him. In other words, we keep on with life but stay alert to changes. It takes some getting used to, but eventually you develop a rhythm for dealing with it.

This makes sense.

A lot of natives to the area seem to have no concern whatsoever unless things are getting extremely dangerous. Like when my phone alert is going off telling me "extremely dangerous thunderstorm, seek shelter immediately" and everyone is just like "whatever".

But tornadoes are especially concerning.

• Like 1

I've lived in tornado areas... I've never done anything for a watch. I mean, if it's tornado weather, I'm alert to it - and you get used to what that looks like. I think that's different in tornado alley than the ones here closer to the coast. I guess I wouldn't go out and have a picnic or something, but mostly I'd just be alert.

I remember all the crazy tornado drills we had when I was a kid. I hated that stuff. As if they'd ever manage to get us all in the hall in the fetal position in that emergency.

• Like 1

This makes sense.

A lot of natives to the area seem to have no concern whatsoever unless things are getting extremely dangerous. Like when my phone alert is going off telling me "extremely dangerous thunderstorm, seek shelter immediately" and everyone is just like "whatever".

But tornadoes are especially concerning.

Yep. My response is whatever too. Because it's a thunderstorm. The only shelter you need to seek is not being outside standing about like a human lightening rod. There's no reason to seek your tornado shelter for a thunderstorm.

I turned off all my phone alerts bc of stuff like that.

I've lived in a tornado prone area my entire life. I do nothing different except maybe keep a close watch on the weather for watches. Warnings: I may avoid going out, but maybe not - depends on what the weather is actually saying. Once the sirens go off, we are in the shelter until given the all clear (I live in a mobile home, so I'm not one to dillydally around once the sirens go off - there are always people standing around staring at the sky as I hustle my kids into the shelter). 

• Like 1

I've lived in a tornado prone area my entire life. I do nothing different except maybe keep a close watch on the weather for watches. Warnings: I may avoid going out, but maybe not - depends on what the weather is actually saying. Once the sirens go off, we are in the shelter until given the all clear (I live in a mobile home, so I'm not one to dillydally around once the sirens go off - there are always people standing around staring at the sky as I hustle my kids into the shelter).

That's a consideration. My closet shelter is right in my living room, so no big whoop to get to it in seconds. But if I had to go outside to access my shelter? I wouldn't want to wait until I might have to dodge flying debris to get to it. When we've had those shelters, kids and elderly were always taken there early as a precaution and usually the more able bodied and in command would stand not too far outside the shelter door chating with neighbor's or watching the skies or tying things down and such.

I'm not in tornado alley but we do get tornados here. The only thing I might think about doing differently in a watch would be outside activities in an area with few shelters. Or at least find out where the tornado shelters are located - something we've had to do a few times while on camping trips!

It is also worthwhile to find out the geographic size of the area where sirens will potentially go off for actual warnings. We live in a large metro county and sirens will go off for the whole county when there is a tornado anywhere. One time the weather was partly cloudy and slightly breezy when the sirens went off. There was a tornado in the far corner of the county from us heading away from our location. Obviously we still checked the forecast before deciding what to do...but it helps calm down the kid to tell them that many times when the siren goes off, the bad weather may not really be all that close.

Yep. My response is whatever too. Because it's a thunderstorm. The only shelter you need to seek is not being outside standing about like a human lightening rod. There's no reason to seek your tornado shelter for a thunderstorm.

Sometimes when a bad thunderstorm is close by it says to stay away from windows and running water. Do you file that under whatever too? 

I can see that the news and alert systems are overdramatizing things. I just want to figure out a good balance. I mean, actual tornadoes are scary and people not taking things seriously enough is not unheard of either. 

I make sure I have my supplies ready: phone charged at all times, flashlights, portable radio, bottled water, blankets/pillows in the shelter. People think I'm crazy but if I have time, I throw their bicycle helmets in the shelter. Otherwise I go about my day but plan to be home around the time the storm is predicted and/or make sure my kids can get home safely from the bus stop. 

I hate tornadoes and have lived here all my life. 

• Like 2

There are times we hang out in the basement for severe thunderstorms that are rotating or look suspicious. Our meteorologists are awesome at letting us know when the storms have the ingredients to quickly form a tornado. Happened the other day with a severe thunderstorm. The TV stations skycam was filming the storm live and two funnels quickly appeared as we were watching. Ended up being 2 F1's go through town right when schools were letting out. 

Sometimes when a bad thunderstorm is close by it says to stay away from windows and running water. Do you file that under whatever too?

I can see that the news and alert systems are overdramatizing things. I just want to figure out a good balance. I mean, actual tornadoes are scary and people not taking things seriously enough is not unheard of either.

Well technically there is a microscopic chance that you could be struck by lightening while taking a shower or chatting on the phone near a window. In theory, it is possibles at the electrical surge could radiate ti you via the water or the landlines. But seriously the chances are ridiculously low. It would make international news if it was confirmed kind of low odds.

The don't stand near windows is about pressure and hail damage. If there's a sudden pressure pocket, it could potentially blow the window out. But that's crazy unlikely. Possible and common with tornados. But not the norm for thunderstorms. Severe hail can break windows. I've seen golf ball hail though that still didn't break a single house or car window.

ETA: also, keeping trees and debris in check is just good policy, but important for safe weather too. One thunderstorm we had a tree that we discovered really need to be cut down. That storm had the huge tree 20 feet from out house sending big branches at our windows and roof line. So that's another reason to stay back from windows, but really it's a bigger reason to keep the landscape taken care of.

Edited by Murphy101

I usually make sure my weather radio is plugged in, and I stay home if possible once the storms start.  The other day when there were tornadoes nearby I watched the news nonstop, and stayed up till the watch was cancelled for my county.  Shortly after we moved to OK the Moore tornado happened, and most people died stuck on the highway.  Also the only time I've seen multiple tornadoes myself in one day, we were driving through Indiana.  So being out scares me, and I arrange to have all the errands done beforehand if it's a situation where they've been forecasting for several days.

Depends on the state.  In Florida, where things are less likely to be properly grounded and where lightening is MUCH MORE common, I stay out of the shower and away from windows in bad storms.  I once heard of a guy getting struck by lightening in clear skies while leaning on a tree 13 miles downriver from a lightening strike in FL though.  I was a kid, but every year someone got killed by lightening in the summer there.

In the midwest I'm not as worried about it, but I still avoid showers in lightening if possible.  If rain is coming, I have kids take baths before the storms, for example.

I make sure my husband's insulin needs for a week are in the shelter.

I keep a smoke and water proof file box with important papers in there.

I toss my purse with device chargers in there.

I keep a duffle bag of water, emergency battery radio, wipes, ace bandage wraps, first aid kit and some protein bars. Diapers and forumula if there's a baby in the house.

I try to make sure everyone remembers to grab their sneakers as they head to the shelter. (If a tornado hits, you don't want to be walking through the remains barefoot!)

That's it. But keep in mind most house shelters are tiny. Mine is the closet under my stairs. For 12 people. And that can be a big space comparatively. Most people only have a center of the house small walk in closet or bathroom. There's only so much stuff you can store there and have room for the humans.

• Like 1

Depends on the state. In Florida, where things are less likely to be properly grounded and where lightening is MUCH MORE common, I stay out of the shower and away from windows in bad storms. I once heard of a guy getting struck by lightening in clear skies while leaning on a tree 13 miles downriver from a lightening strike in FL though. I was a kid, but every year someone got killed by lightening in the summer there.

In the midwest I'm not as worried about it, but I still avoid showers in lightening if possible. If rain is coming, I have kids take baths before the storms, for example.

We were having a good laugh about things tornado alley moms say on FB during the last storm rounds.

Such as me:

Y'all hurry up and eat so we can clean the kitchen up before a tornado hits or the power gos out. (Bc damned if I'm going to have a tornado hit while I have a sink full of dishes?)

The sirens wake up the big kids and they knock on my door to ask if they should get the littles out of bed.

Naw. Let me check the news first while you vacuum the closet. (Ended up getting the little in the closet after vacuuming it just in case, but I never went in.)

Hurry up and finishing putting away your laundry or you're gonna be naked and unable to find clothes if a tornado hits!

We're having left over for dinner so I can clean out the frig in case the power goes out with this tornado.

Basicly tornado sirens herald spring cleaning here. Lol

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 7

If it isn't a small closet type space, some people only have an interior hall way or bathroom. And when we lived or stayed at places like that, a twin size mattress was pulled off one of the beds and wedged over the tub or into the hall to make a V we would huddle under. The idea being the mattress woukd get hit with any falling debris.

I used to put my little ones in the bathtub and the crib mattress over them. We made a game of it. How fast can you get in and settled. And all my kids have LED flashlights to play with. Keeps their minds from freaking out.

I don't live in a big tornado area, but I do what most people might consider overreacting to tornado watches and severe thunderstorm warnings. 

Unless you count that one time when I didn't hustle my kids home because I got caught up with chatty friends, and my kids were on a metal swing set when lightning struck barely 1/4 mile away.  Oops.

I am paranoid of driving on a highway or interstate when there is a tornado warning. I would check the weather before I drove on one, and consider not driving on one.

I want to have gas and some food in the house. I fill up water bottles.

I put the car in the garage. Usually I leave it in the driveway.

But if there is a county-wide tornado watch, and things seem just fine where I am, I don't pay too much attention to it.

There are going to be tornado watches a lot in April and May. It is just how the weather is in April and May.

I want to have local news if there is a warning, and be near shelter.

Definitely I limit my out-of-town driving then.

A lot of deaths do happen from people who are driving, out of range of any sirens, etc., and they don't realize that there is such bad weather. You are recommended (or were when I went to school) to pull over and lay under your car, don't be in your car.

Then, now we have a basement, so it is easy to get under ground.

If we didn't have a basement, I would have a place picked out and keep it ready for us from probably March through June. But since we have a basement it is easy.

I used to be more paranoid about tornado warnings than I am now, but not so much over thunderstorms and watches. They will sometimes set the watch hours before the storm is near you. Check your radar, you often have time to do your errands without any fear. Even now, I don't hurry kids into the basement when a warning siren goes off. I usually check outside, and the tv first. Rotating clouds, not the actual tornado on the ground, are really cool.

One reason I check the tv first is because they sometimes set off sirens for storms north of us. I suppose the tornado could change direction. They also set them off here for winds over 60 miles an hour.

As a kid I was terrified of any weather that wasn't sun or snow. I remember a nun at my catholic school telling us to grab a book for our head, because a broken neck was better than a cracked head. Or maybe it was a cracked head is better than a broken neck.

I don't usually shower during severe thunderstorms, but I will wash dishes by the kitchen window. It's really illogical, except that I used to get yelled at if I took a shower during a storm. I guess I wasn't the one doing dishes during those storms ;)

Kelly

I grew up in Iowa, lived in Oklahoma and Arkansas, and am now back in Iowa. I usually keep a close eye on the weather, even pertaining to watches, due to the fact that when the conditions are right, things can change in a hurry. One of the reasons we bought this house was the fact that it has a basement.

If there are watches, I usually make sure that we stay closer to home than usual. Since I'm a SAHM, I will watch it on the radar and see if it is coming in to our county. If it gets within 40-50 miles of us and is headed right into us,  I will throw things in backpacks or bags like medicines, boxes of checks, just ordered school curriculum that I wouldn't want to have to buy again, etc. I will move the safe that holds certificates to the kitchen counter, ready to take downstairs.  Definitely no open-toed shoes, long sleeves, spring coats, bike helmets, etc. We also instantly make sure phones are charged 100%, some water in jugs, sweep the area in basement we will be waiting in (seems like it's always dusty), put the two dogs harnesses on and lay out the leashes, etc.

If it's a warning, we go to basement as soon as we hear it.

Edited by JBJones

Oh, we do not have much patio furniture, but if you have patio furniture that might blow into your windows, then you can do things like turn it upside down or move it into a corner.

That used to be part of our routine when I was a kid.

But we didn't wait around and do it at the last minute, we did it early in the day. We just did that a lot in April/May anyway.

• Like 1

The sirens wake up the big kids and they knock on my door to ask if they should get the littles out of bed.

Naw. Let me check the news first while you vacuum the closet. (Ended up getting the little in the closet after vacuuming it just in case, but I never went in.)

I'm kind of laughing that your home might the reduced to sticks but by golly, that closet is going to have a clean carpet! I'm guessing it's because littles might put things into their mouths, but still...that's the first time I'v ever heard of someone running a vacuum as part of tornado warning prep. 

We carry on throughout the day.  A watch just means that conditions are favorable for a tornado to possibly form.  They just want you to be aware that something could happen and have a plan, but you don't need to huddle in your basement all day.

Now, a warning, that means you should be paying attention to the weather and stay home.  

We don't get a lot of tornadoes here (East Coast), but we do get them occasionally.

A few years ago we had a watch for most of the day.  I checked the weather reports frequently.  When the watch changed to a warning, I ordered all of the kids to the basement.  I had told them that if they were near a favorite stuffy or were reading a book, they could bring those with them.  When we met in the basement a few minutes later, the kids had all kinds of stuff with them -- stuffies, toys, books -- and they had left the BABY upstairs.  :svengo:

The next time we had a tornado warning, I put a laundry basket next to the basement stairs.  I told the dc to put their favorite stuffy and a couple of books and small toys in the basket.  That way all of the stuff was together and someone would be able to carry the baby.  :)

I'm kind of laughing that your home might the reduced to sticks but by golly, that closet is going to have a clean carpet! I'm guessing it's because littles might put things into their mouths, but still...that's the first time I'v ever heard of someone running a vacuum as part of tornado warning prep.

I don't currently have any little. My youngest is 4.5. Not that that keeps him from putting stuff in his mouth.Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€™

But we also have a pet rabbit that had apparently played in there. There was hay and pellets all over the closet I'd JUST told them four hours earlier to make sure was cleaned up and ready for use. Grrr. Danged if I'm going to let us die in a pile of rabbit mess if I have any say about it. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€ 

Nothing at all. I think only transplants pay any attention, ha!

Seriously, though, save the worry for real tornados. Ones that are actually very close and headed toward your house.

Pretty much.  I've lived in OK all my life and do run for cover when a tornado is really close; other than that it is business as usual.  Tornado season is just too long to stress the entire time!  

You can get a bonus geography lesson in the spring when you get to learn all of the obscure towns and counties on the news' radar.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 3

I go about life like normal unless it's upgraded to a warning.

I wouldn't get in the car and go on a two hour drive out of town and risk being caught in the storm on the road.

I wouldn't take my kids to get struck my lightening on the soccer field (and there's no nearby tornado shelters there either.).

But otherwise, everyone goes to work and school and buys groceries like normal.

Make sure your shelter location is available and ready for use. If you are at work or school, they will probably announce where you should go if the weather turns. Same for grocery stores and such. They'll start shouting telling everyone where to go in the building. If you are in the main city roads, you'd see cops diverting traffic off the roads to safe buildings. For example, mall or church basements will be opened up for public use.

The last storm to come through was ridiculous. There was no reason to cancel schools and activities hours before the storms even arrived. It was weird. I've lived here my entire life and I've never had a media call to action like that for a "potential dangerous storm watch". Ever. Warnings? Yes.

We take weather serious, but if you are prepared and know what to do, and keep your eyes on the skies, there's no reason to panic or disrupt your life too much.

This. I have lived my entire life in tornado ally. My hometown was devastated by one several years ago. 3 people died and over 1000 homes were destroyed. I wasn't there but imwas terrified for my family and friends. And another one hit very close to where I lived 20 years ago...many people I knew were affected. Yet I still am not paralyzed by storms or watches or warnings.

Here is my personal way of dealing......

I don't live in a trailer. :)

We have a plan for immediate need to take cover. Since my son was small I've told him if the weather is bad I will expect him to respond without question when I tell him to go to our shelter place.

Beyond that I simply pay attention. I listen to the news...on scary days I keep it on all day. And I listen for the tell tale sound of a.tornado approaching which gives you seconds to take cover.

At night if things are sketchy we stay up and watch what is going on.

But I rarely go to our safe place...I just pay attention and go about my life.

• Like 1

I've lived in tornado prone areas all my life. Watches are when I check the radar online and just make sure everyone has a charged cell phone. 

Things we get used to: 

Knowing with TV station has better weather coverage

where the house to go in case of a warning

Can you hear sirens from your house? 

What roads are prone to flooding in your area.

Make sure your kids know what to do in case of a warning, so practice when it's not an issue

I tend to stand on my porch and watch clouds if I'm home. I don't like to drive in rain (it's been awful this week, so I will stay at home if I don't have anything pressing). 

Pretty much. I've lived in OK all my life and do run for cover when a tornado is really close; other than that it is business as usual. Tornado season is just too long to stress the entire time!

You can get a bonus geography lesson in the spring when you get to learn all of the obscure towns and counties on the news' radar.

Especially helpful for an Arkansas transplant!

For those in Texas & Okahoma, there's a guy called Aaron Tuttle on Facebook that gives much more accurate forecasts than anyone else around here.  He also has a weather app, I think it's called AT Weather or something like that.  It gives alerts for your home, work, and current location.

I have a friend that I go shopping with about once or twice a year. We both detest shopping. Last year we were in a Tulsa mall and both our mothers began calling us saying the weather was getting bad. We had just found the dresses we were after and so we checked out and looked at the radar as we headed to the parking lot. It was BAD. We didn't know what to do. Her path home was right in its path....I was going more south and avoiding it. So she went to her SIL in the city and I went home...but before we got to her car we had to drive through rush hour traffic with sirens going off every 3 minutes. It was scary and comical.

So we have tornado dresses. The day we out ran a tornado.

• Like 1

I have a friend that I go shopping with about once or twice a year. We both detest shopping. Last year we were in a Tulsa mall and both our mothers began calling us saying the weather was getting bad. We had just found the dresses we were after and so we checked out and looked at the radar as we headed to the parking lot. It was BAD. We didn't know what to do. Her path home was right in its path....I was going more south and avoiding it. So she went to her SIL in the city and I went home...but before we got to her car we had to drive through rush hour traffic with sirens going off every 3 minutes. It was scary and comical.

So we have tornado dresses. The day we out ran a tornado.

The day I bought my wedding dress a tornado hit just a few towns over. The power went out in the mall, but everything came back up on generator, and the voice on the intercom said everything was ok and keep calm, etc. so we continued to shop.  Well, when we went to check out, the cash registers weren't working. The manager came over and checked us out himself all the while telling us about how their store had just installed this state-of-the-art system generator system that would track any and all purchases made during a power outage - he went on and on about it. Come to find out, my credit card was never hit for the transaction - I even contacted the store, but as it was a chain store, no one really seemed to care or have any idea on how to do it. Therefore, my wedding dress, slip, and veil were all free.

• Like 1

I grew up in S. California - give me a shaky earthquake over a tornado any day! That said, we have one of those weather radio that sound a loud alarm for warnings etc.  Also, on potentially bad weather days, I keep an eye on the Weather Underground site on the computer and expand the map to see what is coming (usually from the west since we are in northern Illinois).  I can tweak the map to show rotating storms, etc.   One just has to stay alert.

Palm Sunday 1920 a long-lasting tornado touched down to the s/w of us and moved through town, taking out most of the houses on the street next to ours, and twisting a couple across the street from our house off their foundation before continuing to jump the Fox River and bust through downtown Elgin.  Folks died.   Lots of photos of the damage in town in the local historical society.  So I know it could happen here.

We have had a couple derechos come through (hubby didn't quite out run one and got soaked), and one day a micro-burst hit our neighborhood - the wind suddenly kicked up as I looked out the window and saw a 20-foot tree bend over and touch the ground so I bolted for the basement as the wind roared - 30 seconds later it was over, and outside every street had one or two 50-foot trees down, blocking the roads.  Later that day the Weather Channel was out filming and I was briefly interviewed. Neighbors saw me on the telly, but I missed it.  Sigh.

Another day, kids were small and I had to pick up one I babysat for a neighbor from the elementary a few blocks away. Storm obviously coming, school lets out, and just as kids run out of the building the city tornado sirens go off, LOUD.  I was very surprised that instead of calling kids back in to go into the basement shelter, most adults went back in or bolted for their cars.  I collected a lot of kids to quickly drive back to my street to get them inside.  Storm blew past, luckily.

Edited by JFSinIL

I live in a tornado prone area, though not tornado alley. You really will go nuts if you alert on the tornado watches! We do try to avoid showering in lightening storms. I have tried to rush meals and dishes when I knew a storm was headed our way (thunderstorm warning types).

We always shelter when sirens go off / a warning for our actual area is issued.

Edited by sbgrace

I was 11and was in an EF2 tornado. We were at my grandparents house in the country so no sirens. My mom was going to move her car into their garage to avoid hail damage. She opened the sliding glass door and at that moment we saw the tornado coming right for us. She barely got the door pulled closed due to suction or something. We ran down to the basement and watched the trees, patio furniture, swing set, and fence posts fly by from the basement window. My mom did a good job keeping the mood light. I was the oldest of 4 kids there. She joked that we might actually get to see donkeys and pigs flying. :) My grandparents had to get a new roof and new siding.

Since then, I've always felt safe in a basement. Our last house didn't have one and neither did any of the neighbors. I was super nervous in tornado warnings and I

am so relieved to have a basement again.

When looking at past tornadoes, like in Oklahoma, where everything is flattened, I take the weather more seriously. We're in DFW, TX area and we just remain aware of our surroundings, we tend to stay closer to home, and like many others, just be prepared.

If the sky is green, if the clouds overhead look like popcorn, or if the clouds are swirling and you see a few different layers of clouds that are all going in opposite directions,if you feel cold and warm or hot air at the same time, pay attention, go inside.

During watches, we generally just go about normal life. 

During warnings, I check the radar and see where the funnel is located.  It's generally just to the north or south of us.  So we usually just watch the radar and the sky for changes.

If the sky looks that funky unearthly greenish color or the wind is whipping really bad we head to the basement.

• Like 1

An F4 came through our area 5 years ago and about 14 people died.  Since that storm, I always wear my mother's pearls that she gifted me when I hit 40 yo.  Does that sound crazy?  DH and I thought we were going to die.  My children are terrified of storms, and we were without power for a week.  When we are expecting a storm, I charge the phones and make sure that there is no wet laundry in the washing machine.  We also locate the flashlights.