Menu

Vent - Bridesmaid Dress Sizing

BigMamaBird

My brother is getting married and we just love his fiance.  She's wonderful!  They asked Dh and I to be in the wedding so we've both buckled down and are working really hard on losing weight.  I'm down 31 lbs. since they asked and while I probably could stand to easily lose another 50 lbs., I had been feeling really good about the results of my hard work so far.

That is until this weekend when we went and tried on Bridesmaid dresses.  Holy cow!!  I'm down to a 16 in dresses and pants and was feeling pretty awesome about it.  Soon to be SIL chose a lovely dress and the lady at the shop took measurements.  It turns out in the world of bridal fashions, a normal person's 16 translates into a size 22!!

I realize that clothing sizes are just arbitrary numbers that have absolutely no bearing on my self worth or who I am as a human, but that stung.  I'm a big girl, I've got my (apparently extra large) panties back on, and am going to keep plugging away at what is obviously working.  But geesh.  You think designers could figure this nonsense out!

• Like 3

No kidding! I remember shopping for my junior prom dress.  I found the perfect one, but it said size 11 so I wasn't even going to try it on, knowing that it would be huge on my size 5 teenage body. My mom convinced me it could probably be altered so I tried it on and was completely mortified when it fit like a glove!

Lana

The reason is that in industries where they still do a lot of custom work, they may use pattern sizes. Off the rack retail and department stores  have over the course of decades deflated their size numbers--what was a 16 in the 1950's was smaller than what is a 16 now. Pattern sizes did not follow this trend, so run 4-6 sizes smaller for the number.

• Like 9

My brother is getting married and we just love his fiance. She's wonderful! They asked Dh and I to be in the wedding so we've both buckled down and are working really hard on losing weight. I'm down 31 lbs. since they asked and while I probably could stand to easily lose another 50 lbs., I had been feeling really good about the results of my hard work so far.

That is until this weekend when we went and tried on Bridesmaid dresses. Holy cow!! I'm down to a 16 in dresses and pants and was feeling pretty awesome about it. Soon to be SIL chose a lovely dress and the lady at the shop took measurements. It turns out in the world of bridal fashions, a normal person's 16 translates into a size 22!!

I realize that clothing sizes are just arbitrary numbers that have absolutely no bearing on my self worth or who I am as a human, but that stung. I'm a big girl, I've got my (apparently extra large) panties back on, and am going to keep plugging away at what is obviously working. But geesh. You think designers could figure this nonsense out!

31 pounds is spectacular! Don't let the stupid sizing rain on your parade! Losing weight is hard and you are rocking it :)!

• Like 19

It's really nuts.

I had one bridesmaid who had fairly recently given birth.  There were no dresses that she could wear, none.  It was ridiculous.

So my bridesmaids were wearing light blue, and she was my best friend from college, could not bear to leave her out.  She offered to make herself a dress in that color, but I asked her instead to pick a coordinating color, buy a lovely dress to wear, and do a Bible reading instead of being a straight up bridesmaid.  I had another friend I did that with as well.  It worked out great because I had 6 friends for the wedding party and DH was hardpressed to come up with 4 (2 were my brothers.)  But I was shocked at how limited the bridesmaid dress sizes were.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

Congrats on the weight loss. That is a major achievement.

The bridesmaid measurements are a big old scam, imo. I remember back in the day having them measure me and telling me yhey needed to order a size 3x larger than what I usually wore. When I challenged it, I was told it was because of my bust size. Needless to say it required massive alterations when it came in.

Bridal shops area on the last places that still carry clothes that fit my daughter! I love the wide range of sizes. When 22=16 in regular stores it generally means that bridal sizes 2-6 fail to exist. I say more sizes FTW! Who cares what the number is? I want choices. One prom season there wasn't a dingle dress in our entire mall that fit my daughter. We went yo a bridal boutique and could choose between 10-12 in the store and they could order more.

• Like 3

My brother is getting married and we just love his fiance.  She's wonderful!  They asked Dh and I to be in the wedding so we've both buckled down and are working really hard on losing weight.  I'm down 31 lbs. since they asked and while I probably could stand to easily lose another 50 lbs., I had been feeling really good about the results of my hard work so far.

That is until this weekend when we went and tried on Bridesmaid dresses.  Holy cow!!  I'm down to a 16 in dresses and pants and was feeling pretty awesome about it.  Soon to be SIL chose a lovely dress and the lady at the shop took measurements.  It turns out in the world of bridal fashions, a normal person's 16 translates into a size 22!!

I realize that clothing sizes are just arbitrary numbers that have absolutely no bearing on my self worth or who I am as a human, but that stung.  I'm a big girl, I've got my (apparently extra large) panties back on, and am going to keep plugging away at what is obviously working.  But geesh.  You think designers could figure this nonsense out!

WOW!  I had no idea, not having been a bridesmaid in decades.  I do remember the irritating lady asking me if I was there for my "custom fitting", which apparently is triple the price of a mere "hem".  I indicated I only wanted the dress hemmed, at "hem" prices. 

But wow...can't believe they do that to brides or bridesmaids.  That sounds crazy. 

Sizing is crazy. My hubby gets confused and ended up just eyeballing the fit when we looked at formal dresses for me. The same size in the same brand (e.g. BCBG Max Azria) can be different depending on the design.

When I challenged it, I was told it was because of my bust size. Needless to say it required massive alterations when it came in.

I'm almost flat chested. My bridal gowns were all tailor made since I am conical flask shape, narrow shoulders with big hips. Bridal and formal dressy wear shops tend to cater to the well endowed here.

Congratulations on losing the weight! That is a great accomplishment.

I was in a wedding where the bride chose the color, but the ladies could pick the dresses. I loved being a part of that wedding.

Me, too and it was lovely.   All three of us wore a flattering dress that cost extremely little.   In my case, I'd gotten extremely lucky and had just purchased a dress for my 10-year H.S. reunion in the desired color.  

Awesome on the weight loss.  Don't let this derail you.  Stay healthy, though.  Please stay healthy.

We ran into similar issues with my bridesmaids.  The sizes did not match normal dress sizes by a long shot.  Since everyone was coming from all over, including South America, it made it very challenging to get everyone into the correctly sized dress.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

In my experience they order you a dress 3 times larger than you wear and it costs major $$$ to have altered. I don't know why they insist on ordering dresses so oversized.

I forgot about that!   But, I remember reading in several saving money while a bride books that they do that.  

Actually, the 22 is normal and the 16 is U.S. vanity sizing. My mother sews and whenever I have her make me clothes I have to size up on the pattern several sizes above what I usually wear. The larger size is based on international standard measurements and the smaller size is a result of U.S. clothing retailers pandering to our vanity. Don't let it get to you, it's just a number. You are so much more than you dress size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes.  Vanity sizing.  It's frustrating for those of us who can buy a vintage 1950 dress or well made dress in a size 6 or 4, to not be even IN sizes at the mall because people want the smaller number to feel better about themselves.  Clothes companies have slowly been doing this to where we now have a size 000 on the shelf.  It's ridiculous. 

I'd much rather have a system similar to men's wear.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

It is very frustrating.

Most formal dress designers use a traditional sizing system. It actually makes more sense than the alternative mall 'vanity sizing'. There a a few dress designers who have jumped on the vanity sizing bandwagon and that messes it up even further.

Stores in the US use a stupid vanity sizing that makes shopping at the mall seem great!  But anytime you order something from a more traditional designer, you have to adjust due to the difference.

Bridal and bridesmaid dresses are often ordered a bit bigger than needed  because you can't typically add fabric and have the dress look good, but you can take it away.  Yep, alterations cost a bit of money, but that is part of the luxury of ordering through a catalog or dress shop.  

You have done amazing things and no little tag on a dress can change that. 

DD17 has clothes in her closet that are anywhere from a double-zero (Ambercrombie shorts) to an 8 (high end fitted jacket).  She is very thin and has simple curves.  Her clothes are not bought oversize to accommodate a large bust, or other feature.  The different manufacturers just vary that much!

• Like 1

Yes, I was depressed trying on mother of the groom dresses last year.  (Same size as you)   But-- once I got over it and loved the dress despite the size, I felt like a princess that night and got tons of compliments.  I'm sure you'll do the same--and more since you've lost weight!!  Congratulations on your weight loss!  Focus on feeling wonderful in the new dress!

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1

Congrats on the weight loss! You'll look fabulous no matter what the number says.

I'm 39 weeks pregnant and have to order a bridesmaid dress for a wedding 3 months from now. I have NO IDEA what size to order, and this doesn't help. I think I'll just order extra big and hope I have more alterations than not. And then to figure out how to nurse in it...

Congratulations on the weight loss!!

I still have nightmares over the last bridesmaid dress I wore.  I love my sister-in-law, but she picked out the most snooty store in her area in which to find our bridesmaid dresses.  AND all the rest of her bridesmaids were these skinny little minnies with no waist and no bust.  Enter moi.  6 months postpartum and still nursing about every 5 hours.  Add that to the fact that my bOOks are on the well-endowed size anyway *cough*.

Everyone else gets the skinny dresses.  Shop lady looks at me {and by "looks at me" I really mean she focused in on a very specific part of my body] and says, "My......you are a BIG girl, aren't you?!?!"  I was feeling pretty good about myself up until that point.  I mean.....I had found my waist again.  *That* was quite the accomplishment! Sis-in-Law saw the look on my face and said, "She's just had a baby and is still nursing her...."  Shop Lady: "I should say so!"

Let us draw a curtain over the rest of our visit.

The numbers on those dresses mean NOTHING!!  I think current sizing practices are a crock and hate having to try on every single item I buy,. Even if I just bought the same pair of jean in the same size a year ago - apparently things change!

Actually, the 22 is normal and the 16 is U.S. vanity sizing. My mother sews and whenever I have her make me clothes I have to size up on the pattern several sizes above what I usually wear. The larger size is based on international standard measurements and the smaller size is a result of U.S. clothing retailers pandering to our vanity. Don't let it get to you, it's just a number. You are so much more than you dress size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what is going on. Pull up a sewing pattern and compare your measurements to it. I was wearing a size 12 in stores at one point and that was an 18 in patterns.

On the opposite side of the spectrum is my Dd.  She's 10 and will be the flower girl/junior bridesmaid.  Her measurements had her in a size 4T!  She's skinny but tall so we HAD to order a larger size simply to get the dress down past her fanny!  We got a size 8 and the sizing chart shows a 6" difference in chest measurements.  I'm going to be taking that dress in big time!