Menu

What are plus sized moms wearing for summer this year?

Ottakee

I just booked flights last night for me to take my girls to see their birth sister in Florida.  We leave in 12 days.

It snowed 6 inches here yesterday.  I have no nice summer clothes other than 1 fairly nice pair of capris.

I am a size 18 (sometimes 16) but have heavy legs so try to avoid shorts in public.  I need ideas of clothes that will travel well, be nice and cool (see note above that we had 23 and near blizzard conditions yesterday), and look nice.....but be very comfortable.

I am on a very limited budget so even 3 nice tops and 2 pants that I can mix and match would be great.  I am a casual person at heart and if I could wear my tennis shoes, jeans and a hoodie I would be happy.  I just want to look nice though for my girls and when we are out and about.

I also need shoes but have plantar facititis so spend 90% of my time now in my brooks dyads which are comfortable but ugly.

I hope what I get will be great mix and match stuff for this summer and even for the next few years.........and if I could find it at a local thrift store or consignment shop all the better.

I like sleeveless blouses that you can throw a light (super light) sweater over, with capris. Jean capris, one pair in dark, one in light, one in black denim, are pretty much all I wear in the summer, unless I'm just at home, then I wear shorts.

I find a lot at Dress Barn and Torrid.

If it's not too hot, a cami under a light, floaty top is nice. I like Torrid's bird shirt (not sure if it's still there) or JCPenney T-shirts.

Even a Walmart t-shirt with a open-weave sweater over it looks really nice, to me, anyway.

Torrid tops 

They may be over-budget, but that's an example of what works for me. You can find similar at thrift/consignment.

Edited by Chris in VA

I wear capris almost exclusively.  It is very HOT in south Texas, so lightweight cotton is a must.  I love these capris from LL Bean and have them in several colors:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53604?feat=sunwashed-SR0&page=original-sunwashed-canvas-pants-cropped

I wear t-shirts with them.

I also match my flip flops to my clothes.  I have several pairs of Maine Isle flip flops from LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/82403?feat=503423-GN2&page=maine-isle-flip-flops-woven-print

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58442?feat=503423-GN2&page=maine-isle-flip-flops-print

I will admit, though, that I'm not the most stylish.  But I'm a mom, I'm comfortable, and it's hot.  (Well, 70s right now so it's jeans weather, but give it another month and I'll be back in capris).

There is a Cato and Gordmans near Rivertown Mall. Cato is in the strip mall next to Michaels, Gormans is in the same parking lot. Both carry plus size clothing. Meijer carries some fun stuff once in a while too.

I would look for knits that don't wrinkle when you squish them up in your hand. Sleeveless shirts with lightweight shrugs or very light wear shirts (thin) with a sleeveless tank under them. There are capris and there are cropped pants. One is two inches longer, so if you don't like one length look for the other.

Edited by KatieinMich

I wear a lot of capris and fitted tees (not tight but not baggy, asleep-in-them shirts).

If I want to be a little dressier, I wear a long, tshirt-material skirt (from Walmart) with a fitted, v-neck tee and flip flops.

If I'm active, it's usually capri-length leggings and a LONG t-shirt + sneakers.

(I'm pretty casual.)

Walmart had some cute, tunic length shirts last time I went in. The only problem is they are so thin that they require a tank top underneath.

Old Navy linen blend pants. They don't wrinkle like LINEN linen (regular wash and dry, and I don't iron), but they're as cool as regular linen. Yoga waistband. Order the XL and XXL and maybe 1X. Misses are cheaper. They also had questionable quality control last year. I went through the rack at the store and no two XL or XXLs were the same. The 1X was in between, and it was shorter. I washed and dried them a couple of times and they no longer needed hemming, but I'm 5'8".

Skirts worn with boy short undies to help with the chub rub.  Maxi skirts have been big the last couple of years so you should be able to find them at thrift stores.  Old Navy also has some cute midi skirts right now.  I wear skirts with a semi-fitted, nice weight t-shirt or henley.  If I am going to venture into capri-land, I wear with a tunic length top because I am so short waisted that all capris give me a weird baggy front crotch.

Amber in Sj

I just got back from a work trip to Texas. It was WAY hotter than I am used to.

I wore a long skirt with s sleeveless top and sandals, or capris with a sleeveless top and my tennis shoes every day. I had a short sleeve sweater along because sometimes the air conditioning gets chilly, but I worst enough for work without over heating.

I'm headed back there in a few weeks and plan to wear the same thing. This time, however, I am going to remember to bring my swim suit!

I've started wearing skirts in the summer. They're just as cool and maneuverable as shorts, but they look more put together. I wear a shorts-slip or pants that are like super lightweight bike shorts under the skirt so there's no thigh-rub-sweat discomfort happening. Last year I bought a couple t-shirts, then went to JoAnnes and found fabric to match. In less than an hour I knocked out a few skirts that just had elastic at the waist and were hemmed exactly where I wanted them. It was cheap and quick and solved a middle-aged fashion dilemma for me.

• Like 2

IMHO the trick to maxi skirts for us shorties (I am 5'2") and pear-shaped roundies (I am a 14-16) is what you wear on top.  Nothing long or floaty; nothing too full or flappy.  Simple v-neck t-shirt that hits high hip or at the hip.  If I wear a long top over a long bottom, I look like a pyramid widening out from my head.  Light scarf or eye-catching necklace to draw the eye upward.   A cropped denim jacket or a short cardigan if I need another layer.    Save the tunic lengths & floaty boho tops for over capris.

Amber in SJ

• Like 9

I can't help on the clothes, I have the same dilemmas and haven't solved them myself. 

But I have plantar fascitis and found that Fit Flop flip flops are amazingly comfortable. They also have some that look more fancy or stylish and some that are plain. They are pricey, even on a site like Zappos, but they were well worth it. I wore them every day last summer and my feet felt great. I even wear them on my daily walks now that it is getting warmer again. 

But won't maxi skirts make a 5" 5 chubby mom look even chubbier? I have shorter legs.

I'm 5'5" and wear a 16/18. Some maxis are flattering; the one I got from Walmart has a wide, fold-down yoga pants-type waist (flat, not gathered). For me, it's best if my fitted tee (usually a v-neck) hits right at the widest part of my hips (or just above) -- then the skirt just hangs straight down from there. Then my chunky legs are hidden. :D

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

I'm a size 14/16, and I just ordered this dress from Old Navy with some Capri length leggings to go with it. I love, love, love it! So much, that I'm going to order a couple more for my summer wardrobe. It is incredibly comfortable. Also, I'm short (5'1"), so it isn't as short on me as it is on the model. I think it falls just to my knee or slightly below.

http://m.oldnavy.gap.com/product.html?dn=op221310032&dv=0&shopid=1&pdn=oc1054439&outlet=false

• Like 1

I'm a size 14/16, and I just ordered this dress from Old Navy with some Capri length leggings to go with it. I love, love, love it! So much, that I'm going to order a couple more for my summer wardrobe. It is incredibly comfortable. Also, I'm short (5'1"), so it isn't as short on me as it is on the model. I think it falls just to my knee or slightly below.

http://m.oldnavy.gap.com/product.html?dn=op221310032&dv=0&shopid=1&pdn=oc1054439&outlet=false

That's a great suggestion.  A simple black dress like that can be dressed up or down with the right jewelry and other accessories, which is perfect for travel.  I have a couple of similar dresses (from Travelsmith) and they are my go-to look for travel and last-minute events.  Look carefully at your thrifts for nice jewelry that suits your personality - it makes a huge difference!

I wear capris almost exclusively.  It is very HOT in south Texas, so lightweight cotton is a must.  I love these capris from LL Bean and have them in several colors:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/53604?feat=sunwashed-SR0&page=original-sunwashed-canvas-pants-cropped

I wear t-shirts with them.

I also match my flip flops to my clothes.  I have several pairs of Maine Isle flip flops from LL Bean:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/82403?feat=503423-GN2&page=maine-isle-flip-flops-woven-print

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58442?feat=503423-GN2&page=maine-isle-flip-flops-print

I will admit, though, that I'm not the most stylish.  But I'm a mom, I'm comfortable, and it's hot.  (Well, 70s right now so it's jeans weather, but give it another month and I'll be back in capris).

I live in Florida and could have written this. I usually wear a 14, sometimes 16. Capri pants and long (but not tunic length) tops are my everyday clothes. I wear either Birkenstock or Skecher sandals and very rarely wear closed shoes. One of these days I'm going to try either Keen's or Fit Flops.

I've started wearing skirts in the summer. They're just as cool and maneuverable as shorts, but they look more put together. I wear a shorts-slip or pants that are like super lightweight bike shorts under the skirt so there's no thigh-rub-sweat discomfort happening. Last year I bought a couple t-shirts, then went to JoAnnes and found fabric to match. In less than an hour I knocked out a few skirts that just had elastic at the waist and were hemmed exactly where I wanted them. It was cheap and quick and solved a middle-aged fashion dilemma for me.

Oh, I wish I could sew!  I'm seriously contemplating the skirt thing for summer, too.  I have large thighs and am on the short side, so A-line type of skirts look best on me, IMO.

For hiking, though, which I'm going to be doing a lot of this summer, I'm looking for some stretch waist, lightweight, cargo type pants.  Full length to protect from bugs/ticks.  Maybe by the end of the summer I'll be less of a plus size mom!  LOL

When I had PF and it was just pretty bad, I loved Fit Flops.  Then when it was actually horrible, my Dansko sandals saved the day--they have a rock hard arch which apparently is exactly what I need with really awful PF.  Not quite as good, but nice if you need closed shoes is trail runners--I especially liked Salomon when I had PF because it had better arch support and a heavier stabilizing interlayer than most.  

I have two skirts that I really like for hot summer days.  They are both by Nick and Zoe.  One is an asymmetric hemmed natural linen skirt, midi length.  The other is a flippy navy blue skirt just above the knee.  Each has a narrow, comfortable elastic waist band that has a nice rolled edge so that it doesn't look like elastic.  The navy one I actually hike in, because it's so nice and cool and breezy.  I usually wear a tank top with it.  The linen one I wear with a sleeveless tunicky top over it, and although it's not as cool as the other one, it's still pretty good.  Then I have one pair of blue denim capris and another of khaki ones that is a little more dressy.  My swimming suit is a one piece black one, and it looks great as a top with any of these, in a pinch.  I usually wear a bright color on top, or black, with any of these bottoms, and the nice thing is that the bottoms are all neutralish so I can put almost anything with them.  

Edited by Carol in Cal.

When I was having problem with my feet, I got a pair of properly fitting sneakers with arch support inserts.  I've heard Keens and some other brands have good arch support built in.  If you want sandals, you can buy little clear gel arch supports at walmart for maybe $4.  They're in the foot care section.  By wearing my regular inserts are Superfeet.  Hey, I just went looking for the brand and realized they have Superfeet sandals!  Definitely look into them.  With your budget, you could blow tons on shoes.  I'd solve that and make the clothes work on less.  A couple bottoms (capris, whatever) from walmart or CJ Banks and then some properly fitting tops.  I'm your specs, and I look better with a skirt that hits just below the knee, rather than maxi.  I *like* maxi, but I'm just saying I look less sausage like with it a little shorter, lol.  Capris I think (?) are flattering on me.  Buy them ahead and then tailor them to fit, taking in the waist.  I must be built funky, because I have to adjust them to make them fit right.  

When I got the superfeet inserts and put them in sneakers, I wore them all the time, constantly.  That allowed the plantar fasc to heal.  Then I was able to go in just regular shoes.  I just move the superfeet insoles between shoes.  Take out the original inserts and put in the superfeet insoles.  So one pair is $50, but you can move them around.  Then have the $4 gels to take care of things where you can't wear the superfeet.  There are different kinds of Superfeet, so a store that sells them can help you select the right ones.  The other funny thing is to make sure you stretch your calves in bed.  Sometimes your toes point and the calves shorten, which aggravates it.  So when I get into bed, I intentionally stretch my calves, pulling my toes back, and then lay the heavy blankets on to hold my toes the right way, lol.  Supposedly it helps.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

But won't maxi skirts make a 5" 5 chubby mom look even chubbier? I have shorter legs.

No! I would choose floaty skirts, not maxi, because I like the breeze. Maybe just past my knee. If I had a choice I'd choose navy and another solid and 3 nice-ish t-shirts. I dislike my legs due to varicose veins so this is my summer uniform. A tank with a light sweater also works. I don't know what your time frame permits but I'd try secondhand/thrift first. Edited by joyofsix

I LOVE my jockey slip shorts under dresses and skirts. No rubbing, no chafing. You can get them at Wal-Mart or online. They're like really, really, really lightweight super-thin bike shorts.

Are those the ones called skimmies?  I like skirts but never wear them casually because of the rubbing and sweat. :(

I wear straighter- cut maxi skirts, lower on my hips so they hang straight rather than ballooning out. Actually, VERY slimming.

A tight waist and a full skirt makes me look like a circus tent.

• Like 1

I will admit, though, that I'm not the most stylish. But I'm a mom, I'm comfortable, and it's hot. (Well, 70s right now so it's jeans weather, but give it another month and I'll be back in capris).

I'm often surprised at our different perspectives on weather. I don't know why I am, but I am. I'm in the SE United States at the high today will be around the mid-70's and I'm thrilled that I can wear shorts today!

I'm often surprised at our different perspectives on weather. I don't know why I am, but I am. I'm in the SE United States at the high today will be around the mid-70's and I'm thrilled that I can wear shorts today!

I know that a high in the mid-70's would not be shorts weather for me, but that is because I live in the West, in a Mediteranean climate, and we only kiss those highs briefly.  It cools off a ton in the evening and even more at night, and it doesn't reach the highs until mid-afternoon, so most of the day would be in the 60s, maybe even the high 50s early in the morning and late in the evening.  It might top 70 for 2-3 hours, only.

Whereas my impression from visiting North Carolina and Virginia a few times is that the temperature is far more consistent around the clock there, with some variation with time of day but not nearly as much as there is here.

Hey, I just went looking for the brand and realized they have Superfeet sandals!  Definitely look into them.  

Wow, that's cool!  Superfeet inserts were way too stiff for my heels, but maybe the sandals will work.  Thanks!

*Edited to add that now, looking at the Superfeet site, there are way more inserts to choose from than I thought.  I wish there was someplace to try them all out!  $40 is a lot to try, return, try, return.  LOL  (Are there any stores that have a good selection of Superfeet?  Dick's only has the blue and green. Maybe a specialty store?)

Edited by 6packofun

Ha ha.  Well, I love my jeans, and it will be unbearable to wear them very soon, so I hang on as long as I can.  

Plus, low 70s does feel a bit chilly to me these days.  But I remember living in Virginia, and putting on shorts when it got into the fifties after a blizzardy winter, so it's all relative.

I am in Texas and love to wear maxis.  You've been given some great advice.  I agree if you are already fluffy like me, try to get straighter shirts.  My WM had some maxis for less than $20.  If money is tight, I'd just get one black maxi or if your capri's are blue you may want to go with blue/navy.  You can dress it up or down with shirts and necklaces.  You can pretty much wear any color shirt with it and white shirts always look great.  You can probably mix shirts with your capri's pretty easily.  Black maxi's are like my blue jeans, I wear them everywhere.

For chafing get some Monistat Chafing Gel, the best stuff to keep you in dresses in the summer. 

I have no fashion advice (lurking for ideas), but I have PF advice that is rather counter intuitive. I wear New Balance minimalist running shoes--some version of Minimus (basically for almost barefoot running). The are light and breathable. I don't tolerate heavy arch support, so these are fantastic (I have low arches, and higher arched shoes KILL my feet). I did get fitted for proper width--NB sizes are a little different. Anyway, the reason they are a dream for me is that they have NO POSITIVE HEEL (no or very minimal drop in sole height from heel to toe). PF and tendon issues are all the same ball of wax. A positive heel shortens your Achilles' tendon, and then you end up eventually with PF. So, besides icing/cold water soaks, stretches, and gentle exercise that builds all the right muscles, neutral heels are a good thing.

I have had basically zero foot issues since buying these shoes. I wear them 99% of the time that I have shoes on (and go barefoot the rest of time--I've never found that wearing shoes made my PF feel better, and I could adjust my walking to suit my PF better barefoot). I used to dread any event where I would be on my feet, and now I am having zero problems, including when I need to stand on concrete for extended periods of time. I am not overly active, though I'd like to be more active. I also HATE SNEAKERS. This is the first pair of athletic shoes I've liked in probably my entire adult life.

Anyway, if you have persistent issues and are looking for a different take on your feet, check out NB Minimus shoes!