Menu

Favorite Skin Care

KBadd

What are your favorite skin care products?

I'm 30 years old and want to keep my skin healthy and young-looking. I've noticed small wrinkles around my eyes and my pores are looking larger - normal, but I'd like to make sure I'm taking care of my skin. I have only occasional small breakouts, not like the acne I used to have. My skin is not very oily or dry, although I've used a lot of products that do dry it out, which cause it to be more oily as it compensates. I seem to do better with creamier cleansers, in my experience.

I've been using Burt's Bees Radiance face wash and day and night cream. What do you all love?

I'm 30 and I think I look good. I use Neutrogena acne wash because my face thinks I'm 12, but it works well. I use Oil of Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream and I notice when I don't use it. If I had more money I would use Dermalogica products instead. I take fish oil pills everyday and use a silk pillowcase because it doesn't pull on my skin at night. There was a thread about what you wish you knew when you were 30 and I took notes. So...

1. Wear sunblock every. single. day. This was a reoccurring theme!

2. Put anti-aging cream on your neck as well as your face or your face will look 30 and your neck will look 50.

• Like 2

Jojoba oil is a good moisturizer and - if purchased at health food stores or other good sources - usually free of additives.

What we eat makes as much a difference as what we put on the skin. Healthy, balanced diet, good fats like Avocados, Salmon, Coconut oil seem to work in our favor.

• Like 1

Paula's Choice.

I don't know what came over me. After using her line, with much success for over 20 years, I decided to try something else. Flakes, hives, redness, itching... what a mess. Of course I quickly reordered her stuff and it started calming down almost immediately. I never thought my skin was particularly sensitive, but of course, I've been using her stuff for all of my adult years. Never again.

• Like 2

Paula's Choice.  No one looking at me would gasp and ask what skin care do you use?!!  But *I* know that the better quality of my skin tone, wrinkles kept at bay, and lack of blemishes is totally due to PC products.  My skin has changed over the years and I just switched to other lines of her products.  I've used her reviews to find drug store brands that are approved and cheaper, but I always returned to her stuff.

• Like 2

Paula's Choice. No one looking at me would gasp and ask what skin care do you use?!! But *I* know that the better quality of my skin tone, wrinkles kept at bay, and lack of blemishes is totally due to PC products. My skin has changed over the years and I just switched to other lines of her products. I've used her reviews to find drug store brands that are approved and cheaper, but I always returned to her stuff.

Agree. The non paula's products were her recommendations, but ugh. Those recommended products made a mess of my skin.

Can you get Paula's choice B&M or is it available online only?

Online only, but you can keep an eye out on QVC as well for deals and definitely like PC on Facebook--it's THE way I keep up with when to order, like when they have 15-20% off everything and/or free shipping!  Amazon carries it, too, but not discounted although you'll get Prime on most of it, I think.

Try SAMPLES, first!  Most samples give you at least 2-3 applications and you can try all different stuff.  :)

• Like 2

I have spent the past year using skin care products from Asia, all available on Amazon, with prime, and my skin has NEVER looked better.

It's a few different products, but what I love about Asian skin care, is that you can really hone in an address your specific issues. Lots of people seem to come from being Paula's choice users and start using skin care products from Asia. I never used PC, it's just something I have noticed comes up a lot.

There is also a service called Curology and for 20$ a month you get a consultation with a dermatologist and a treatment delivered right to you. I don't use it, but I have considered it. People rave about it. Considering that the cost of your prescription is included in that 20$, one year is cheaper than seeing a doctor locally and getting a script filled.

Anyway, I am very impressed with what I have used so far. And what I have bought has been very high quality, not scented, with attention paid to allergens etc.  The thing with Asian skin care, whatever you like, you can find it. If you want very expensive with lots of luxury, they have that. If you don't want luxury and only performance, they have that as well. And if you like hand cream in a banana shaped container, you can get that also, lol.

That reminds me, I'm going to use a sheet mask right now!

• Like 3

I've used skin creams and face masks from SkinActives.com for several years now and am very happy with them.

Also, a thin layer of Retino 0.025% cream twice a week at night, and SPF 50 PA+++ sunscreen every morning.

I have spent the past year using skin care products from Asia, all available on Amazon, with prime, and my skin has NEVER looked better.

It's interesting that you buy stuff from Asia and I buy stuff from the US. We are both contributing to global warming. :p

Please share the products you liked. Perhaps I can reduce my carbon footprint. :)

I've used skin creams and face masks from SkinActives.com for several years now and am very happy with them.

Also, a thin layer of Retino 0.025% cream twice a week at night, and SPF 50 PA+++ sunscreen every morning.

It's interesting that you buy stuff from Asia and I buy stuff from the US. We are both contributing to global warming. :p

Please share the products you liked. Perhaps I can reduce my carbon footprint. :)

:laugh:  Same here with using products from the U.S. I chalked up the beautiful women around me to amazing genes but maybe I should try their skin care! Please share details of what you buy!! I'd love to try it!

I second the Asian skin care lines. I bought a ton when I was in Korea last year, sort of stopped using it when life got busy and then just started again two weeks ago and I'm already seeing a huge difference in my skin. If you google Asian skincare routine you'll get some good info but I think one of the things that makes the biggest difference is oil cleansing. I'm currently using some Laneige cleanser and their multi-berry yogurt peel and mask, they are incredible, my skin feels like satin.

• Like 1

I use straight up oil on my skin, either olive or coconut.  The coconut travels better, lol.  But I do oil cleansing, rather than traditional methods, and it works so much better than anything I've used on my skin thus far.  I started about 6 years ago - have not had a blemish since and my skin is lovely. 

Can someone elaborate on the Asian skin care lines and where to research them?

There are a lot of Asian skin care beauty bloggers.  I personally like "Skin and Tonics"  "Fifty Shades of Snail"  and the subreddit on Asian skin care:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/

But it can get real geeky real fast, lol.  But that's the part that I like.

I've got to run...

• Like 3

I have been using Paula's Choice for years. I used to get her newsletter back in the old days and still check in with Beautypedia for her reviews. After all this time, I feel like I know where we agree and disagree, so it's been a good guide for me.
My favorites are this cleanser and this BHA. I shop when it is on sale.

I am also interested in hearing more about Asian skin care. I saw this Korean skin care guide on PC's website but it doesn't have any specific recommendations. I started to look at Sephora but got lost in all the options.

I have been using Paula's Choice for years. I used to get her newsletter back in the old days and still check in with Beautypedia for her reviews. After all this time, I feel like I know where we agree and disagree, so it's been a good guide for me.

My favorites are this cleanser and this BHA. I shop when it is on sale.

I am also interested in hearing more about Asian skin care. I saw this Korean skin care guide on PC's website but it doesn't have any specific recommendations. I started to look at Sephora but got lost in all the options.

Easy to do, that is for sure. The thing is that products in kbeauty tend to be fairly focused. That is its strength and weakness. It's easy to find it overwhelming. You have to know your own skin, and go from there. I've got dry skin, I was a teenager with dry skin, and I'm almost 50. I am concerned with pigmentation and staying hydrated. My routine is all about that. I've never had acne so I can't really tell you a thing about products that address that. 

Here is a recent blog post from a kbeauty blogger who created an intro routine. I only use one of the products she suggests, the sunscreen, so I can't really speak to that. I do use a couple products from the Mizon line and I really like them, but not exactly what she suggests.

http://www.fanserviced-b.com/easy-button-kbeauty-skincare-routine/

The good thing about her post, is that the most common questions is 'what should I use" and it's a reasonable one. At the same time, it's difficult to just create something for someone else. It's like if someone asked you to tell them what they should buy to homeschool. Well, that depends on a lot of things, right? It's not so simple as get this for math and this for writing. So, she attempted to point you in the right direction so you can at least start investigating.

edited to add: I just read the Paula's Choice page on asian skin care. She makes one of the classic mistakes by calling it a "10 step routine".  While it is possible to create a 10 step or 20 step etc routine, it isn't a rule or anything. I certainly don't use 10 products on my skin.

Here is a great 2 part blog post by one of my favorite bloggers, about Asian skin care myths

http://fiftyshadesofsnail.com/2016/02/20/6-k-beauty-myths-to-chuck-like-a-moldy-cream-part-1/

http://fiftyshadesofsnail.com/2016/02/29/6-k-beauty-myths-to-chuck-like-a-moldy-cream-part-2/

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 5

I admit, I'm really bad.  I don't spend a ton on my face. I do like neutrogena pore minimizer (for my nose - with a knock-off clairsonic).  I've started using - sporadically -  nivea - the uber thick stuff that comes in a tin.  (it was compared to a very expensive european brand, and the dermotologist found the Nivea side to be in better condition.)

mostly - I shade my face from the sun.  I also don't smoke or drink ( yes, they age your skin)

Incidentally - I'm frequently mistaken for being a minimum of 10 years younger than I am.  (even when I have no kids with me.)  It is common for people to think 1dd and I are sisters.

Edited by gardenmom5

Okay Paula's Choice users, what are your favorite products? I'm a little overwhelmed with all the choices.

Do you know your skin type? If you look on the shop page, you can search products according to your skincare concerns. You didn't mention any serious issues yet, so you can probably start with a cleanser, toner, BHA, moisturizer, and spf.

Fwiw, I don't use her spf. They're great but I apply so liberally that it became too expensive! I use the Kiss my Face SPF30 face factor and it's great!

• Like 1

I second the Asian skin care lines. I bought a ton when I was in Korea last year, sort of stopped using it when life got busy and then just started again two weeks ago and I'm already seeing a huge difference in my skin. If you google Asian skincare routine you'll get some good info but I think one of the things that makes the biggest difference is oil cleansing. I'm currently using some Laneige cleanser and their multi-berry yogurt peel and mask, they are incredible, my skin feels like satin.

Are you doing the duel cleansing? I've read that you oil clean at night to remove the days sunscreen and makeup etc, then follow it with a foaming cleanser.  In the morning you just need a cleanser or water to remove the night's creams etc.

I've never tried oil cleansing. I really don't want to buy another product, lol. My excuse is that I don't really wear makeup, so I don't need to oil cleanse. But, I do wear sunscreen.  I have tried using cetaphil lotion cleanser to remove sunscreen and then used a foaming cleanser (Cereve)...I hate to say that it did feel like it did a better job at getting the sunscreen off than just cleanser alone. 

But I really don't want to. But I keep getting told that it makes a huge difference. 

What did you get in Korea?

Sweetsation Lumi-essence

Yes to Grapefruit moisturizer with natural sunscreen

EO rose and chamomile shower gel as a wash

Thayers rose witch hazel as a toner

I also use oil before washing...I use autumn moon massage oil from mountain rose herbs, because it has rose oil in it .. My skin loves rose petal oil and rose hydrosol.

Edited by Laundrycrisis2

Are you doing the duel cleansing? I've read that you oil clean at night to remove the days sunscreen and makeup etc, then follow it with a foaming cleanser. In the morning you just need a cleanser or water to remove the night's creams etc.

I've never tried oil cleansing. I really don't want to buy another product, lol. My excuse is that I don't really wear makeup, so I don't need to oil cleanse. But, I do wear sunscreen. I have tried using cetaphil lotion cleanser to remove sunscreen and then used a foaming cleanser (Cereve)...I hate to say that it did feel like it did a better job at getting the sunscreen off than just cleanser alone.

But I really don't want to. But I keep getting told that it makes a huge difference.

What did you get in Korea?

Yes, at night I use oil then foaming cleanser, it makes my face feel great. I just rinse with water in the morning.

I went nuts in Korea, we went to this huge shopping district in Seoul, and I probably spent about $400-500 on skin care and makeup, I got a bunch of sheet masks, some cleansers, some skincare sets, some snail cream, several BB creams and cushions, a few lipsticks. I'm still working my way through a lot of it. Then I realized that I could buy a bunch in Hawaii where we were living at the time, so I frequented Nature Republic and Tony Moly. I don't have sensitive skin though and I vary my routine a lot, I'm also a total makeup addict.

• Like 1

Yes, at night I use oil then foaming cleanser, it makes my face feel great. I just rinse with water in the morning.

I went nuts in Korea, we went to this huge shopping district in Seoul, and I probably spent about $400-500 on skin care and makeup, I got a bunch of sheet masks, some cleansers, some skincare sets, some snail cream, several BB creams and cushions, a few lipsticks. I'm still working my way through a lot of it. Then I realized that I could buy a bunch in Hawaii where we were living at the time, so I frequented Nature Republic and Tony Moly. I don't have sensitive skin though and I vary my routine a lot, I'm also a total makeup addict.

I'm going to try the neutrogena oil cleanser that I can pick up in the supermarket, If I like it, I'll get the hada labo.  The hada labo only costs maybe 2$ more than the neutrogena, I just hate adding an extra step to washing. But I can tell the difference when it comes to getting all the sun block off.

After I rinse with water in the morning I go over my wet face with a wet konjiac sponge (also from the grocery store). It's made a big difference in reducing little bumps and keeping everything super smooth.

I always like to look at Tony Moly stuff, but I've never bought it. I can see how it could be difficult to resist in person, lol. It's so CUTE!

• Like 2

So you are saying at a few weeks shy of 40 years old my routine of "splash plain water on face, maybe use a washcloth" bedtime routine and "apply Aveeno Baby Moisture Cream" after my shower in the morning may not be enough?

I do like DHC's oil cleanser, I've used that in the past a bit. 

Guess I'll head over to Paula's Choice. (although my sister also never washes her face, and also has good skin....my poor mother was flabbergasted when she asked us what we use to cleanse and we both said "nothing")

• Like 3

I'm 30 and I think I look good. I use Neutrogena acne wash because my face thinks I'm 12, but it works well. I use Oil of Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream and I notice when I don't use it. If I had more money I would use Dermalogica products instead. I take fish oil pills everyday and use a silk pillowcase because it doesn't pull on my skin at night. There was a thread about what you wish you knew when you were 30 and I took notes. So...

1. Wear sunblock every. single. day. This was a reoccurring theme!

2. Put anti-aging cream on your neck as well as your face or your face will look 30 and your neck will look 50.

I have been also putting anti-aging cream on the back of my hands at night. It really helps my hands look firmer and more even color. (age spots) I am almost 60 so I remember that its the neck and hands that give away your age!

• Like 1

So you are saying at a few weeks shy of 40 years old my routine of "splash plain water on face, maybe use a washcloth" bedtime routine and "apply Aveeno Baby Moisture Cream" after my shower in the morning may not be enough?

I do like DHC's oil cleanser, I've used that in the past a bit. 

Guess I'll head over to Paula's Choice. (although my sister also never washes her face, and also has good skin....my poor mother was flabbergasted when she asked us what we use to cleanse and we both said "nothing")

Until I was a few weeks shy of 40 that was all I ever did..well...I always, always used plenty of sunblock. I have used moisturizer with sunblock every day since I was about 25. And I have an extensive hat collection. And I avoid the sun like a vampire.

But I never even washed my face unless I took a shower.  I don't wear makeup so I never felt the need to wash my face at the end of the day.

I am almost 50 and people often assume I am in my late 30s. So, clearly, all those years of nothing but sunblock didn't do me any harm, lol.

• Like 2

I'm 45 and the wrinkles are starting to show up! It makes me sadder than it should really.  If I could go back to age 30 I would start using Retina A earlier. I believe it's the only thing that is really proven to help with aging and skin issues. You can't use it if you're pregnant or breast feeding. And make sure you use sunblock every day. I have been good about that and I don't have any sun damage at all. But my skin is dry and thin and pale and prone to wrinkles. I love products and always get caught up in the hype, but the research shows that Retina A is your best bet. It's a generic drug now so I guess not a lot of people are making money off it, so no real advertising. And not retinol - that's not the same thing. Need the prescription for Retina A. 

I just got a new tube of Retina A with a prescription and it was $70. I got mine from the dermatologist when I went in to have something checked, but I know some friends get it from their OB or regular GP. It's pretty well accepted. That should last me 4-6 months. For moisturizer I use avocado oil and Eucerin 30 SPF.