Menu

Would this bug you too?

Southern Ivy

For the last 7 years or so, DH's uncle refers to him as "the rich nephew".
DH has a fantastic job, but we are not rich. We just work 40 hours a week and have college educations, unlike 90% of that side of the family. Seriously, they complain about having to work extra hours sacking groceries (making it 25 hours instead of 20). 
Anyway, the majority of the rich nephew comments are made when the uncle is showing off whatever "deal of the century" he got, then he ends with comments like "I was waiting on my rich nephew to buy it for me, but since you decided not to, I had to get it myself." 

He did this in front of the whole family once and I shut him down by saying "Well, your 'rich nephew' doesn't even have ___________ himself, so why would he buy you one first?" Not polite, but after years of these comments, it's getting a little old. It's even starting to sneak into other family members' conversations when they address or talk about dh. 

This weekend dh's mom was talking to dh about why we rarely go visit the uncle and the rest of the family on that side. DH told her exactly why - that he was tired of the comments and his uncles attitude when dh doesn't supply him with every demand. 
His mom's solution? "Well, you just need to look past that. That's just how he is." 
DH said, "No, I don't have to look past it. I can also refuse to go, which is what I am doing. I do not have to subject myself to his entitlement, especially when he acts like he's entitled to my money." 

Would that bother you, too? I personally don't think DH is being overly sensitive. As I said, he's dealt with this for at least 7 years, but no matter what he says, no matter how many times he "passes the bean dip", it's still brought up. 
But, just curious what others think. 

• Like 5

Yes, that would bother me.

I get tired of the excuse "that's how how he (or she) is."   If your husband has made it clear to his uncle that he doesn't like being addressed that way, and the uncle refuses to stop, it's reason enough to me to limit time with him.   

I do think parents get a little extra slack if they are not toxic.  But extended family like uncles and aunts?  No way.

• Like 12

"Well, Mom, that's just how I am -- when people continue to make that sort of comment, I stay away from them. You'll just have to look past that."

This.

And yes, OP, it would bother me. Not the first time, perhaps, and probably not even the second or third time... but 7 years in, it would be OLD and I would be annoyed (especially if I had made clear that it wasn't an appropriate way to refer to me). I mean, really, referring to somebody by their financial status (perceived or real) is RUDE. 

• Like 13

Yes, it would bother me. And it does...dh's parents treat him and his sister so differently....they make about the same money but they think his sister works so hard and it so careful with her money and we're seen as wild spenders....she's building a $700,000 house and we live in one worth less than 1/7 of that.   It's annoying to have money thrust into every conversation. 

Your dh is looking past how his uncle treats him....he just came to a different conclusion than his mom has about what 'looking past' means. 

• Like 3

No, it wouldn't bother me.  I would have said exactly what you said - in a lighthearted way.  Ie.  I wouldn't give in to it but I wouldn't take it seriously either.  And I wouldn't consider it rude.  I would consider it banter. 

I think maybe why he doesn't consider it banter, where as he may have in the beginning, is that the comments aren't made in a light-hearted manner. They're made anytime he is thinking of buying something or when he has bought something he's talked about wanting in the past. 

We're perceived as having a lot of money and the uncle seems rather envious of that fact. We had to get a new-to-us car several years ago and when we drove up in our 'new' 2005 Santa Fe, he commented that "it must be nice to be rich". 

I don't know. Maybe I'm sensitive to it too, but it feels like it's moved beyond familial banter. 

• Like 1

Yes, 7 years of the comments would bug.  I do understand his mom's point of view of that is how he is. I have relatives who get a fair amount of slack because I know they are not going to change. I also limit contact with those relatives because my sanity is worth something.

• Like 6

SInce you're so "rich" get a bunch of these and start passing them out. http://www.daveramsey.com/store/books/dave-s-bestsellers/financial-peace-revisited/prod445.html

And by the way, yes, it would bug me.

HAHA  you would not believe how many of those (and the classes) DH has given to family members.

(The classes have been graduation presents.)  

We definitely live like no one else right now...the first no one else, not the rich no one else. :)

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 3

Yes, it would bug me.  But not so much that it alone would keep me away from family.

We still go visit his mom and sister. We just limit our exposure to the aunt, uncles and cousins. We used to drop by every time we visited his mom and sister, but he has tapered that off to nothing now. His own decision. 

We still see them all at Christmas and usually the 4th of July. The majority of the cousins DH wants to see are around at Christmas, so that's when he makes it a priority and just deals with the uncle.

• Like 3

We're perceived as having a lot of money and the uncle seems rather envious of that fact. We had to get a new-to-us car several years ago and when we drove up in our 'new' 2005 Santa Fe, he commented that "it must be nice to be rich". 

My response would be, "I wouldn't know."

I would treat it as banter and banter back - every time. I would be bothered by it, but I would combat it by bantering back rather than by staying away. I would not let the comments go unanswered. 

If it strongly bothers your dh, I don't have any problem with him choosing to avoid the Uncle. The guy is being rude. I wouldn't let him stop me from being at a family gathering that I would like to attend though.

• Like 6

It would bug me. Our extended family--on both sides--view us to some degree as "the rich relatives," mostly because my husband's income is significantly more than theirs. They overlook the hard work he put in to get his job, the hard work he puts in at his job, the challenges of the lifestyle required by his job, and the fact that when we move back to the U.S., we'll be living in an area with a cost of living that is MUCH higher than the area where they live. Several relatives have made that kind of passive-aggressive statement in our presence in the past, and in each case, either he or I immediately made it clear to them that they could think whatever they want, but if they want to see us (or our daughter, who is the important one to them), they won't say it in our presence. (Our relatives' history made it obvious that the first time they said it would not be the last, so we nipped it in the bud from the start, rather than let them think it was ok, which inevitably would lead to escalation with them.)

• Like 4

For the last 7 years or so, DH's uncle refers to him as "the rich nephew".

DH has a fantastic job, but we are not rich. We just work 40 hours a week and have college educations, unlike 90% of that side of the family. Seriously, they complain about having to work extra hours sacking groceries (making it 25 hours instead of 20). 

Anyway, the majority of the rich nephew comments are made when the uncle is showing off whatever "deal of the century" he got, then he ends with comments like "I was waiting on my rich nephew to buy it for me, but since you decided not to, I had to get it myself." 

He did this in front of the whole family once and I shut him down by saying "Well, your 'rich nephew' doesn't even have ___________ himself, so why would he buy you one first?" Not polite, but after years of these comments, it's getting a little old. It's even starting to sneak into other family members' conversations when they address or talk about dh. 

This weekend dh's mom was talking to dh about why we rarely go visit the uncle and the rest of the family on that side. DH told her exactly why - that he was tired of the comments and his uncles attitude when dh doesn't supply him with every demand. 

His mom's solution? "Well, you just need to look past that. That's just how he is." 

DH said, "No, I don't have to look past it. I can also refuse to go, which is what I am doing. I do not have to subject myself to his entitlement, especially when he acts like he's entitled to my money." 

Would that bother you, too? I personally don't think DH is being overly sensitive. As I said, he's dealt with this for at least 7 years, but no matter what he says, no matter how many times he "passes the bean dip", it's still brought up. 

But, just curious what others think. 

It would totally bother me.  Anyone who thinks they are entitled to someone else's money just because the other person has more of it than they do really bothers me.  What the entitled person is missing is how much the "rich" person has personally sacrificed in order to do well - whether that was scraping together everything so they could complete a degree or working in places that other people won't go or continually taking on more and working longer hours or whatever it is that they did to get to where they are.  

I wouldn't go, either.  And I think it's great that you stood up to him and said something.  

• Like 6

it sounds like your dh is handling things well.  he's enacting appropriate boundaries with an obnoxious person.

eta: my grandmother was similar.  it's a reflection of a petty and jealous person who places far too much importance on "things" vs people.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 5

I would not refuse to visit a family member over this. It sounds like it's just this guy's attempt at humor. Do you think he actually, really, seriously expects your dh to buy him these things?

People are imperfect. Family is family. You put up with their annoying quirks. Unless you dh has sat his uncle down and explicitly asked him to stop making these remarks, punishing the uncle by refusing to visit is extreme, imo.

It would bother me, yes, but I have relatives who do equally offensive and irritating things and I do stand up for myself and see them when is see them.

I guess we are lucky in that most of the annoying relatives don't expect to see us except on holidays, LOL.

"Pass the bean dip" is not meant to teach someone different behavior, but to avoid the topic in the moment. I will be passing the bean dip on political and other issues for the next 40-50 years with some relatives and I've just resigned myself for the sake of family.

I would treat it as banter and banter back - every time. I would be bothered by it, but I would combat it by bantering back rather than by staying away. I would not let the comments go unanswered. 

If it strongly bothers your dh, I don't have any problem with him choosing to avoid the Uncle. The guy is being rude. I wouldn't let him stop me from being at a family gathering that I would like to attend though.

Yes.

• Like 1

How do you guys react exactly? Do you just mildy respond to the comment? If so, then you have NOT set up a boundary and it's really not right for you to start avoiding him.

Have you said, "Uncle Henry, I really hate those comments. They're not even true. Stop saying them."

I would say that for the next three times he makes one of them.

"Uncle Henry, I really hate those comments. They're not even true. Stop saying them."

Once, twice, thrice.

This gives him time to break the habit.

After the fourth time, stop hanging around with him.

If you haven't given CLEAR boundaries by telling him DIRECTLY what the bad behavior is and that you want it to stop, then you can't just disappear from family functions.

Once you have given clear and direct instructions, then feel free to disappear.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

I would not refuse to visit a family member over this. It sounds like it's just this guy's attempt at humor. Do you think he actually, really, seriously expects your dh to buy him these things?

People are imperfect. Family is family. You put up with their annoying quirks. Unless you dh has sat his uncle down and explicitly asked him to stop making these remarks, punishing the uncle by refusing to visit is extreme, imo.

He has - several times. 

And, while he knows that dh won't buy it, he is the type that expects everyone to cater to him. Sad, but true. 

So, yeah, I think in his own way, he does expect it. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 2

My uncles used to (and sometimes still do) refer to my dad that way to their kids.  It always annoyed him, but it was his brothers, and they liked to annoy him.  :tongue_smilie:

My family was no where near rich.  In fact for the first 10 years of my life they were in constant debt and close to bankrupt thanks to huge medical bills.  But my dad had a steady job.  Until the 80's he was in the union at his job and could get overtime.  After that he moved up to sales, then marketing. He never made a whole lot but he worked steady and never got laid off.  My dad's one brother was in the army and never had much, though he did quite well after retirement.  The other brother didn't work much and was always lacking.  It did have a slightly negative impact for one of my cousins (son of the one who didn't work).  He thought we were just rich and got that way by luck.  It took him a long time to realize you had to work for it.  My other cousins will still say it to my dad in jest.  My dad doesn't mind it from them too much, but it does annoy my mom a lot. 

I would let it go.  Some family members like to say things that annoy.  They think it's fun.  But then again, I grew up in that kind of family and have learned to roll with it.  

• Like 1

"Pass the bean dip" is not meant to teach someone different behavior, but to avoid the topic in the moment. I will be passing the bean dip on political and other issues for the next 40-50 years with some relatives and I've just resigned myself for the sake of family.

Actually, it was not meant to simply avoid the topic. It is the first step in establishing appropriate boundaries ... refusing to talk about something that is not someone else's business.  However, this relative has been pushing the boundaries, so the OP's dh has taken further steps to enforce those boundaries.  Here is an article written by our own Joanne who coined that term here.  

OP, that would bug me, too.  There is a big difference between playful banter and passive-aggressive behavior like this Uncle.  I've seen it from my "richer" family commenting on how they could never live like <blah, blah, blah>, knowing full well that we live like that and feel fortunate that we have what we have. 

• Like 7

if you've never been around this type of person - I can understand why you think this is exaggeration/over-sensitive over an idiots "poor" attempt at humor.

I assure you, such people DO exist.

• Like 5

How do you guys react exactly? Do you just mildy respond to the comment? If so, then you have NOT set up a boundary and it's really not right for you to start avoiding him.

Have you said, "Uncle Henry, I really hate those comments. They're not even true. Stop saying them."

"Uncle Henry, I really hate those comments. They're not even true. Stop saying them."

Once, twice, thrice.

If you haven't given CLEAR boundaries by telling him DIRECTLY what the bad behavior is and that you want it to stop, then you can't just disappear from family functions.

Once you have given clear and direct instructions, then feel free to disappear

Unfortunately, he's had over 5 years to break the habit. He's been talked to and boundaries have been set. He's just chosen not to acknowledge dh's wishes. DH has read Boundaries and has used it on his mom and others in his family. It just doesn't seem to click with this uncle. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, he's had over 5 years to break the habit. He's been talked to and boundaries have been set. He's just chosen not to acknowledge dh's wishes. DH has read Boundaries and has used it on his mom and others in his family. It just doesn't seem to click with this uncle. 

((( :grouphug:  )))  If it really bugs your dh (which is perfectly reasonable), and uncle has been spoken to and chooses to continue to make remarks that he knows dh does not like, then it's perfectly reasonable for your dh to choose to minimize the time they spend together.  

• Like 2

if you've never been around this type of person - I can understand why you think this is exaggeration/over-sensitive over an idiots "poor" attempt at humor.

I assure you, such people DO exist.

I know that all too well. We have one in our extended family. I grit my teeth and bear it. Other people are free to make other choices, of course.

Yes, it would bug me.  I'm sure I'd be kind and good-natured about it for a few years -- haha, but then I'd eventually get kind of sick of it! 

I have one SIL who refuses to acknowledge me by my married name, which I've had for over 30 years now!  She's a strong feminist, and though I consider myself a feminist too, I still wanted our family to have the same last name and I changed mine the day I got married and like it.  :)  She still makes little "humorous" jabs at my last name, and I've gotten so tired of it over the years that it has just come to color our whole relationship.  I mean, enough is enough.

• Like 2

Many of my family members called me a professional student when I was in college.  They were not complimenting me.  I was the lazy posh person who was too good for them because I was in school.  I wouldn't amount to anything because I was in school.  There is no end to the dumb crap some people say and believe.

• Like 1

Once, twice, thrice.

Once you have given clear and direct instructions, then feel free to disappear.

When we have responded that way we are accused of 'poor mouthing' it. And that just makes it worse. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

Ahh, a perfect example. You're right. :)

Actually, this thread is sort of an amalgamation of the microagression thread and any number of threads on first-gen college kids (and generational poverty and family boundaries...). Uncle may be a jerk or joking, but it's extra bothersome because there's a pattern of being singled out for being a family of college grads with stable middle-class employment. I remember in college reading Richard Rodriguez's Hunger of Memory and seeing so many parallels between being a first generation American and a first generation college student (and subsequently ending up in a "white collar" family after a "blue collar" childhood). There are certain cultural, I don't know, familiarities that are lost or are no longer shared.

For example, I have an uncle, a retired car salesman, who is a nice fellow but completely hostile to technology. I have seen him and my aunt truly argue for the first time in my life over getting smart phones in their home. We go to dinner with them, and he rants about how horrible computers are and how people who work in IT aren't really working.

DH, who has a migraine every time we leave their house, is an information security analyst with a very nice job, who provides for his family and is fortunate enough to have a flexible job where he can work from home when his back injury or meds keep him from commuting. In my uncle's ideal world of "real work", he'd be on disability.

We just don't share that cultural tie that physical labor is inherently superior to mental work. And his deeply held view is insulting to our family and lifestyle.

So yeah, I get it. And yeah it would bug me.

• Like 3

It would bug me, nd I might limit contact somewhat, but I would not otherwise change anything.

Some people seem to be constantly aware of money.  My dad is a bit like that, though he isn't as obnoxious.  But when he thinks someone is doing well, he always comments on it, or the things they buy and how much they cost.  He would like more money himself and spends lots of time thinking about it, but he doesn't really want to work at the kind of job that would give him that money (and to be fair probably couldn't.)

I think of it as being very similar to someone who doesn't have a healthy relationship to food or sex.

• Like 1

I know that all too well. We have one in our extended family. I grit my teeth and bear it. Other people are free to make other choices, of course.

and some of us have chosen to not subject ourselves to the stress of these types.  why should I have to "bear" someone else's passive-aggression? every. single. time. I see them? when it colors almost every single minute of the visit?  when they inspire other people to engage in such behavior? 

I have visits with those with whom I wish to spend time.  if obnoxious relative is there, then it's deal with.

I don't see tolerating as 'polite' behavior - I see it as being a doormat.   (my mother was a doormat. that caused her other problems, and sent a message to obnoxious person they could be as obnoxious as they wanted.)

the only way to get my brother to knock off similar (and non-stop) behavior is to shove back in his face -HARDER than what he spouts.  and that only works for one visit.  I don't like being that type of person.  besides, it's exhausting.

some people really do deserve the application of "dont' try and teach a pig to sing.  it wastes your time, and annoys the pig."

• Like 3

Actually, this thread is sort of an amalgamation of the microagression thread and any number of threads on first-gen college kids (and generational poverty and family boundaries...). Uncle may be a jerk or joking, but it's extra bothersome because there's a pattern of being singled out for being a family of college grads with stable middle-class employment. I remember in college reading Richard Rodriguez's Hunger of Memory and seeing so many parallels between being a first generation American and a first generation college student (and subsequently ending up in a "white collar" family after a "blue collar" childhood). There are certain cultural, I don't know, familiarities that are lost or are no longer shared.

For example, I have an uncle, a retired car salesman, who is a nice fellow but completely hostile to technology. I have seen him and my aunt truly argue for the first time in my life over getting smart phones in their home. We go to dinner with them, and he rants about how horrible computers are and how people who work in IT aren't really working.

DH, who has a migraine every time we leave their house, is an information security analyst with a very nice job, who provides for his family and is fortunate enough to have a flexible job where he can work from home when his back injury or meds keep him from commuting. In my uncle's ideal world of "real work", he'd be on disability.

We just don't share that cultural tie that physical labor is inherently superior to mental work. And his deeply held view is insulting to our family and lifestyle.

So yeah, I get it. And yeah it would bug me.

Very interesting. DH and his sister were the first in their family to go to college and both finished.

DH is also the only one to move away from the patriarchal family unit that has been established there - to the point that the majority of the family lives either on the same land or the same road. So, I can see how the mentality you mentioned is directly affecting how the uncle views dh. 

I'll have to read Hunger of Memory. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

We still go visit his mom and sister. We just limit our exposure to the aunt, uncles and cousins. We used to drop by every time we visited his mom and sister, but he has tapered that off to nothing now. His own decision. 

We still see them all at Christmas and usually the 4th of July. The majority of the cousins DH wants to see are around at Christmas, so that's when he makes it a priority and just deals with the uncle

Sounds like you've found a wonderful solution. You are obviously not going to change this uncle's annoying behaviour, and neither is he.

• Like 3

Actually, it was not meant to simply avoid the topic. It is the first step in establishing appropriate boundaries ... refusing to talk about something that is not someone else's business. However, this relative has been pushing the boundaries, so the OP's dh has taken further steps to enforce those boundaries. Here is an article written by our own Joanne who coined that term here.

OP, that would bug me, too. There is a big difference between playful banter and passive-aggressive behavior like this Uncle. I've seen it from my "richer" family commenting on how they could never live like <blah, blah, blah>, knowing full well that we live like that and feel fortunate that we have what we have.

I guess I disagree with this boundary then. I don't have a boundary that allows me to live free of 40+ year old narcissistic/passive aggressive men's holiday-time belittlement. Constant? I cut off. Family events? I will put up with a lot for the sake of family.

You'd probably have to hit me to make me stay away, or call names.

Simply begging for money and calling me rich doesn't touch it.

I'm willing to stay at a pass the bean dip level indefinitely for some rude behavior, for family.

Just for fun, in your head but not out loud, refer to this uncle as "Our broke-@$$ uncle who makes stupid financial decisions." If you actually said it out loud I wonder how long it would take Uncle Brokie to ask you to stop? Probably a lot less than 7 years.

:cursing:

• Like 9

Just for fun, in your head but not out loud, refer to this uncle as "Our broke-@$$ uncle who makes stupid financial decisions." If you actually said it out loud I wonder how long it would take Uncle Brokie to ask you to stop? Probably a lot less than 7 years.

:cursing:

:lol:  :lol:  

How did you know the exact name we've considered? ;) 

• Like 3

Yes, after 7 years, I think it would bother me - unless the guy has some sort of mental deficiency.

I have had this issue.  Actually it seems most of my family thinks they are entitled to a share of my money, LOL.  I have been fairly generous, but it's never enough because I'm "rich."  (Actually no, I've never been rich, I just lived like a pauper until I paid off my debts.)

It gets old.  I have told one or two siblings off and done a lot of eyerolling over the years.

• Like 1