Menu

Conflicted about my wedding dress and want the perspective of others

Ginevra

So, I still have my wedding dress; I've been married 21 years. Philosophically, I am not a keeper of things, and I would not have kept the dress, but DH's aunt had it preserved while we were on our honeymoon. So...okay; I'm not especially short on space and she went to the trouble, so I kept it. Over the years, I have thought about getting rid of the dress, but I didn't really know what I wanted to do with it. I didn't really want to hork it over to Goodwill. I'm not a great seller of things on Ebay or Craigslist. DD assures me that she has not the slightest interest in wearing it herself, or even using it to modify into her own dress.

Today, I learned about this lovely couple in KY who make "Angel Gowns" - burial gowns for babies that die - out of old wedding gowns. They give these beautiful dresses to mothers who have lost their babies. I have lost a baby, so this story really touched me. I immediately wrote down the address with the thought of, "This is the perfect use for my gown!" It would be a way of connecting with other mothers who buried their babies and contributing to an unbearably lovely act.

Okay. But. My gown is NOT an attrocity dinosaur with mutton sleeves and a giant bow on the butt, left yellowing in the leaky basement of my mom's townhouse, KWIM? It is still a very beautiful gown and it has been preserved and is, presumably, in pristine condition. Yes it has features that don't say 2015 - sleeves, for instance - but it is still a gown that could be a gown for a bride, not 8 baby burial gowns. So I don't know.

Realistically, if I don't ship it off to those amazingly lovely people endeavoring to heal in some small way the gaping hurt of infant loss, the gown will remain in it's cardboard coffin for a few more decades, doing no good for anyone. BUT the thought of having that beautiful gown cut up and buried instead of serving the purpose which it still could serve also makes me feel like it would be regretable. I will never know the pleasure it brings a mom who lost her baby; won't see what the dress becomes or get any feedback, KWIM? So in that sense, it would feel no different (emotionally) than if I just donated it to Goodwill. Which makes me think I would regret it.

I can't decide. I have too many emotions surrounding lost babies and that beautiful gown to figure it out.

PS. I should also add that I have a very geneous heart and am easily pulled in to the idea of giving something when it serves no real purpose for me. It is bad in a way because I can easily "overgive" because I want to be a force for good in the world.

I'm not sure anyone can say anything to sway you one way or another.  Your feelings are your feelings.

I think in your situation you do nothing.  It's too likely that you'd regret any action when in that state of mind.

FWIW, I think it sounds like a lovely use of a dress.  And I don't think the dress needs to be unwearable as a wedding dress in order to deem it suitable for baby burial gowns.

• Like 12

Well....right now they aren't accepting wedding gowns so you have some time to work through this.  After considering it for a while you might accept it more.  Kind of like how people donate their organs- they just trust that the organs are going to help someone.  

I wonder if there is a way to find someone who really needs a beautiful gown- kind of like how they have places that collect prom dresses for girls who can't afford to buy one.  Would that be something you'd consider?   I think it might be hard to find someone who could use the dress exactly how it is, though...no alterations or anything. I'd guess if they can't afford a dress they might have trouble affording alterations.  I wonder if there's already an organization that does this.

• Like 2

Well....right now they aren't accepting wedding gowns so you have some time to work through this. After considering it for a while you might accept it more. Kind of like how people donate their organs- they just trust that the organs are going to help someone.

I wonder if there is a way to find someone who really needs a beautiful gown- kind of like how they have places that collect prom dresses for girls who can't afford to buy one. Would that be something you'd consider? I think it might be hard to find someone who could use the dress exactly how it is, though...no alterations or anything. I'd guess if they can't afford a dress they might have trouble affording alterations. I wonder if there's already an organization that does this.

Maybe, but I doubt it, because if you could not afford a gown and/or alterations, you would buy a dress you deem pretty from an ordinary store. Or you would not have a wedding at all. Or you would borrow your friend's gown. All scenarios I have witnessed.

I also wanted to say lots of hugs, Quill. I can imagine it's been an emotional internal conversation.

There is no wrong answer.

What a really kind thing to say. You are making me tear up.

• Like 3

Well....right now they aren't accepting wedding gowns so you have some time to work through this.  After considering it for a while you might accept it more.  Kind of like how people donate their organs- they just trust that the organs are going to help someone.  

I wonder if there is a way to find someone who really needs a beautiful gown- kind of like how they have places that collect prom dresses for girls who can't afford to buy one.  Would that be something you'd consider?   I think it might be hard to find someone who could use the dress exactly how it is, though...no alterations or anything. I'd guess if they can't afford a dress they might have trouble affording alterations.  I wonder if there's already an organization that does this.

I've researched it a little bit when I found that it is seemingly impossible to donate to Angel Gowns (their window closes almost as soon as it opens). Most of the other donation places I have found have restrictions that I cannot meet, such as the gown must be no older than five years. They seem to want free and clear donations but want them to also be trendy and modern. 

ETA: So, I'm stuck with a gown that I loved but that neither of my dds can wear since they are both quite a bit taller than I am. I didn't think of that so much when I married dh. 

:grouphug: , Quill. I really have wanted to donate to this organization but it's also hard to part with it. I lost a baby but it was early in the pregnancy. I know how hard that was so I cannot at all comprehend losing a baby after delivery. 

• Like 2

I agree with holding on to it until you're more certain. It's clear in every word you wrote that you're really conflicted about this, that your heart is crying out for the dress to "experience" more joy and celebration, but also that your heart is crying out for you to use it in support of others who have suffered as you have.

One possibility you haven't mentioned--have you considered selling the dress on eBay, Craigslist, or through a consignment shop, then using the money to buy some beautiful satin material to donate? It seems like the burial gown use needs the material more than the dress-as-a-dress, and that way your dress would still be used for its original purpose--and probably thrill some budget-conscious bride--but, through the use of the cash, it also would provide comfort to grieving parents. Maybe that would satisfy both of your needs for this dress.

My dress also is preserved (at my mother's insistence and expense). My daughter is too young to have any idea if she'd ever want to reuse it. I'll probably wait another 20 years and then start thinking about what I'm going to do with it if she doesn't want it ...

• Like 2

I've researched it a little bit when I found that it is seemingly impossible to donate to Angel Gowns (their window closes almost as soon as it opens). Most of the other donation places I have found have restrictions that I cannot meet, such as the gown must be no older than five years. They seem to want free and clear donations but want them to also be trendy and modern. 

I guess I understand that but so many organizations have volunteer seamstresses who could surely alter an older dress to make it more stylish. But then again, I'm a quilter and not a seamstress, and I'm also not stylish so I'm probably way off base here.

I'd hate to donate a wedding dress to Goodwill only to have it used as a zombie bride Halloween costume.  So I totally understand Quill's dilemma of wanting to pass on her dress but being fairly vested in making sure it's going to a good cause. 

• Like 4

What would I do with it?  I would do option C.  Leave it alone until I have pre-teen granddaughters and then pull it out.  I have this incredibly wonderful memory of being at my grandmother's house when my sisters, cousin, and I found a box in the attic.  We pulled it out and it was my grandmother's wedding dress.  We all put it on and had such an amazing time looking through pictures and oohing and aahing together.  It was just wonderful.  

I wouldn't hold onto it with the idea that a future daughter or granddaughter could wear it.  At 11 I was the same size my grandmother was when she got married.  My daughter is taller at 11 than I am now.  My wedding dress or my grandmother's wedding dress wouldn't have been able to have been altered to fit the next generation or two.  You can't add six sizes to a dress.  

• Like 8

I hate the sleeveless wedding gown trend. It seems to have been the fashion long enough that I imagine it will be out of style soon, and maybe gowns with sleeves will come back in. Or maybe you save it to become your daughter's ring pillow, flower girl dresses, and your grandchildren's Christening gown?

• Like 7

a nearby town here has a consignment store that specializes in wedding dresses.  (and prom dresses, etc.)  I need to drop off my mother dress . . .

I saved my dress thinking my girls would wear it one day . . . . 2dd is six inches taller than me, and 1dd would have to lose a fair amount of weight.  I don't need the space, but I'm ready to be rid of it.

• Like 1

What would I do with it? I would do option C. Leave it alone until I have pre-teen granddaughters and then pull it out. I have this incredibly wonderful memory of being at my grandmother's house when my sisters, cousin, and I found a box in the attic. We pulled it out and it was my grandmother's wedding dress. We all put it on and had such an amazing time looking through pictures and oohing and aahing together. It was just wonderful.

I wouldn't hold onto it with the idea that a future daughter or granddaughter could wear it. At 11 I was the same size my grandmother was when she got married. My daughter is taller at 11 than I am now. My wedding dress or my grandmother's wedding dress wouldn't have been able to have been altered to fit the next generation or two. You can't add six sizes to a dress.

I wouldn't either, but there's a funny plot twist with this. Early on, I said to my SIL that if the aunt had not preserved it, I would not keep it. I had the tiniest waist you can imagine when I got married and I remember saying, "I would have to: a) have a daughter; b) have a daughter as small or smaller than I was; and 3) have a daughter who wants to use the dress." Well, behold! I do have a daughter and her body type is practically a carbon copy of mine at that age! So, unless her body changes drastically before she gets married (if she does marry), it is actually possible for her to wear my gown. Which kind of makes it more of a conflict because it could be worn.

• Like 1

You've kept it this long. Is there a reason you're stressing about it now? It's ok to have a few sentimental items. You don't sound like a pack rat, so just stash it and forget it. Your daughter might use it. It could be repurposed for a grandchild's christening gown. A granddaughter might use it . . . or just want to keep it. Heck, you can frame it and display it if you want. There doesn't seem to be a real reason to unload it now. Revisit the question in a decade. Turn it into ring pillows or flower girl dresses for your children's weddings.

• Like 10

As one overgiver to another, the way I let go of conundrums like this is to remember that I rarely regret something I have done, I mostly regret things I wanted to do and did not.  I suspect that it might be nice for you to have the gown made into a flower girl dress for your dd's wedding, or a pillow for the ring bearer, But I would not want your dd to wear it if she didn't want to.

• Like 3

I know what you mean.

I decided I'm going to be buried in mine. It's a simple silk dress with a cummerbund. I'm going to have them wrap that cummerbund around my wrinkly old neck. LOL.

It is traditional to be buried in a white shroud or baptismal gown, so I think this is a good option for me. But like I said, it's a simple dress. We're it to be dyed a different color, it would be an elegant evening gown....even 34 years later. :0)

I would save it  and then when you have a granddaughter(s), have it altered into a wonderful dress up wedding dress to play with at your house (that way just one child doesn't end up with it).  My daughter had my bridal bouquet (petite bouquet in artificial flowers) and my cake topper.  I let them be toys, not an heirloom, so they just lived in the pile of toys.  LOL  She played with it quite a bit when she was about 6yo.   

If the the silk/satin is not beaded, you could have the fabric dyed and make an amazing Superman cape out of the lower layers of fabric.

If the bodice is beaded, see if it would work for Christmas tree ornaments for everyone, or maybe make the lower part of the dress into a Christmas tree skirt.  

There are lots of ways to make special items out of that much fabric.  It may just need a creative touch. Wedding dresses are one of those things that can tug at heartstrings no matter what you do.  

• Like 5

I would save it  and then when you have a granddaughter(s), have it altered into a wonderful dress up wedding dress to play with at your house (that way just one child doesn't end up with it).  My daughter had my bridal bouquet (petite bouquet in artificial flowers) and my cake topper.  I let them be toys, not an heirloom, so they just lived in the pile of toys.  LOL  She played with it quite a bit when she was about 6yo.   

If the the silk/satin is not beaded, you could have the fabric dyed and make an amazing Superman cape out of the lower layers of fabric.

If the bodice is beaded, see if it would work for Christmas tree ornaments for everyone, or maybe make the lower part of the dress into a Christmas tree skirt.  

There are lots of ways to make special items out of that much fabric.  It may just need a creative touch. Wedding dresses are one of those things that can tug at heartstrings no matter what you do.  

I really like the Christmas ornament idea.

Another thing to do is use the material as a photo album cover to put wedding pictures and early years of marriage in.  

• Like 1

I took the trim off my dress and made a clutch out of it. I have another yard and a half leftover to allow me to do the same for my girls. So I can make them each a little purse that is beautiful and they don't have to try and wear my monstrosity. I wasn't happy with it when I had it made because I was so big. The upside is that if they did want to repurpose the fabric there is tons of it and it's a warm white, unadorned dupioni silk, which is timeless.

That's me.

For you, I say do whatever makes your heart lightest. And if you're not sure, feel no guilt waiting and holding onto it. You're not sinning against the gods of minimalism by hanging onto one dress.

:grouphug:   Don't do anything till you are ready.   If and when you are ready, you will know what to do.

I don't remember the name of the organization, or if they even exist anymore, but I donated my dress to an organization that gave gowns to women with breast cancer.  I had hung on to my dress with no idea of what I would ultimately do with it.  Then we moved from one side of the country to the other, to a house half the size of the old one.  I was motivated to cut down possessions and that box of dress had to go.  I was happy with the decision.  As my daughter grows up, I can see that she would never wear my  dress, or anything remotely like it.  :-) 

If you have the space for it, you don't have to make a decision.  It will happen... let it happen naturally.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

I'd save it for a while and see if your daughter wants it.  Fashions change, and it is possible for a good seamstress to substantially rework that kind of gown.  My sisiter donated her wedding gown to a ballet company where it became a dress for the Sugar Plum Fairy - it was almost unrecognizable.

• Like 1

Tough decision.

On the one hand, I think you are under no obligation to keep the dress; the fact that it was preserved means it would make some lovely infant burial gowns.

On the other hand, I wore my grandmother's wedding dress and am glad she kept it. None of her three daughters wore it.

• Like 1

I think you kind of answered your question. You will have second thoughts about cutting it for any purpose, as good as some of the suggestions here are. For now. Give it some time.

Speaking as a perpetual doubter.

Yes, I think writing it out here has helped me to process my thoughts on it. I did find that there is an Angel Gowns organization in my state; there is a page on Fb. I'm going to follow the page and there may be a way I can get involved at some point. They seem to be frequently looking for people who can sew or crochet and that is one way I could be involved if/when i want to be. Or, as a PP suggested, I could simply donate fabric for the cause. It does not have to come from my dress.

My house is plenty big enough that the dress makes no difference in terms of needed storage space. I also think it is possible that I have a deeper sentimental attachment to the dress than I want to realize. My decluttering expert side, though, gets annoyed about things sitting around serving no purpose and not benefitting or bringing joy to anyone. I also have several things that my mother kept and now they hang around at my house. It makes me wish she would have just dealt with her emotional attachments to these items when she was younger instead of foisting her attachments onto me. So I do know the longer things are kept, the harder they are to release. I really don't want to leave my kids or grandkids with an old dress that they have to then puzzle over.

• Like 3

How would you feel if the gown was remade into baby blessing/christening gowns for your grandchildren?

Is it the thought of your gown being cut that's uncomfortable to you?

Do you want it to be repurposed into something that stays in the family?
Do you want it to be repurposed into something that you get to see?

Do you secretly harbor a hope that your dd will want to use the dress?

For me, being able to let go of something means that I can articulate why it has served its purpose to me and why I no longer have that need.

I've been pondering letting go of my dress as well, as I'm in a similar situation and closet storage is now tight. I haven't done it yet. It's ok to be sentimental about a few things.

• Like 1

Quill, there is no correct answer here. Whatever you decide is right for you. I can tell though that the issue of the ministry to families who have lost a baby is very dear to you. My suggestion is wait until you are sure, but in the mean time, if it would ease your heart, give you some joy, buy a gown at a thrift store or off ebay or whatever and send that to these ladies. It is a way you can contribute now, but not feel rushed about your own gown.

I would donate mine, but believe it or not, it is my dh who gets upset about it when I suggest it. So I honor his wishes and hang on to it even though dd chose a different gown, and I have no one else to pass it on to in the family.

• Like 2

My mom does not have her wedding dress, but she does have a lovely gown that she wore the night she met my dad.  It is something that just sits in a chest, it is not carefully preserved.  It is dated, and the color is a sort of sick avocado green.  But there is something about that dress that just says that my mom was once young and beautiful in a way that pictures cannot convey.  My sisters and I all tried on the dress at one time or another.  I wore it in a little fashion show. My sister wore it while watching Titanic (I'm not sure why, but it is a funny memory.)  And now my girls have seen and laughed over the dress while listening to the story of how my mom walked passed my dad to get his attention, though he was at the dance with a different girl... My girls have tried it on, and have found that Grammy was teeny tiny (she is still cute, but you know, things change...)  

Anyway, my vote is to keep it.  Push it back in a corner of the closet some where.  Let your granddaughters try it on or wear it in a fashion show...  Let them see and feel how young and lovely you were... Maybe make a baby christening gown out of it one day.  Or not.  But keep it a while longer!

• Like 2

It's a hard decision.  Mine is still hanging in a closet - not even preserved.

A few years ago, a friend gave me her mom's wedding dress (the mom had passed away a while before) and I made throw pillow covers out of it. She gave the pillows to her sisters so that they would each have part of their mom's dress.

• Like 1

I would dearly love to have my great-grandmother's wedding dress.  There is only one picture of it, and it's dramatically gorgeous.  She was married around 1904 or so, not a time that was well-known for fashion, so I have no idea whether it's typical of the period or not, but it's stunning.  I identify with her a great deal, so this would be a precious thing for me.

I think that the reason things that are kept for a long time gain so much weight is that they are unique and have resonant symbolism and sentiment.  Those are not bad unless they overwhelm.

• Like 2

You said this, "My decluttering expert side, though, gets annoyed about things sitting around serving no purpose and not benefitting or bringing joy to anyone." But obviously, the gown brings you some joy, just having it, so I think you should keep it.

• Like 2

The lace from my mom's wedding dress became my veil, and the skirt donated fabric to become the ring bearer's pillow.

I love my wedding dress, and I'm saving it (although it's not preserved and has a spot on the skirt) in case my dd wants it some day, even if she doesn't now.

(And I think wedding dresses should have sleeves.  They are prettier and more princess-like that way, imho.  :)  )

Another vote for Keep the dress.

• Like 1

I donated mine, but it was very dated and I was not emotionally attached to it.

Just a thought though, sometimes just the existence of a dress "in the family" puts quite a bit of pressure on daughters.  You might say you are okay with daughter not wearing it, but daughter might still feel like she will disappoint you if she doesn't.  Some daughters might think it's the coolest thing ever, but some might feel really anguished over wanting their own dress and not wanting to disappoint mom.  I remember when I donated mine thinking, well, at least there won't be any pressure on DD to wear a dress she might not like.  

You know your daughters best of course, but it's just a thought!

• Like 1

I agree that you sound conflicted and need to wait until you're more sure.  Here are some ideas:
http://www.babble.com/home/25-ways-to-recycle-your-wedding-dress/

By the way, my mother and I each had a great time playing dress up as kids in my maternal grandmother's (her mother's) wedding gown. It doesn't have to stay preserved and used according to its intended purpose to have happy, joyful memories for you and your descendants. It had lipstick stains and rips in it by the time I got it and it was still wonderful to me.

I miss my grandmother....

• Like 3

I think you should keep it until you feel less conflicted.  I still have my gown (after 23 years) because my dh is sentimental about it. He is still upset I had my wedding shoes dyed purple to wear with a bridesmaid dress after we got married.  As if I had a use for white satin shoes. I know my dd won't wear it as her body type is different from mine. One of these days I will donate it.

• Like 1

I have not read the others' comments, so I'm probably repeating them!  :-)

I would wait until after your daughter gets married, especially since she is about your size.  It's always possible she might want to wear it (although I would not save it with that EXPECTATION).  She  might also want to use it in some other sentimental way.  After that - you can think some more about it.  

As long as you have the space, I would not part with a wedding dress as long as you are feeling emotional about it!  It's okay for us to have sentimental and emotional feelings about things!!

Anne

• Like 1

I donated mine, but it was very dated and I was not emotionally attached to it.

Just a thought though, sometimes just the existence of a dress "in the family" puts quite a bit of pressure on daughters. You might say you are okay with daughter not wearing it, but daughter might still feel like she will disappoint you if she doesn't. Some daughters might think it's the coolest thing ever, but some might feel really anguished over wanting their own dress and not wanting to disappoint mom. I remember when I donated mine thinking, well, at least there won't be any pressure on DD to wear a dress she might not like.

You know your daughters best of course, but it's just a thought!

Yeah, this will not be problem here. I have never had the notion that my DD should wear it and have never indicated to her that I wanted or hoped she would. We've watched enough episodes of Yes to the Dress to have discussed gowns many times. She knows that she is free to wear whatever dress she likes that is affordable and appropriate. Technically, I guess she could also wear something absurdly expensive and died purple if she wants to, as long as she is paying for it herself.

• Like 1

Quill, there is no correct answer here. Whatever you decide is right for you. I can tell though that the issue of the ministry to families who have lost a baby is very dear to you. My suggestion is wait until you are sure, but in the mean time, if it would ease your heart, give you some joy, buy a gown at a thrift store or off ebay or whatever and send that to these ladies. It is a way you can contribute now, but not feel rushed about your own gown.

I would donate mine, but believe it or not, it is my dh who gets upset about it when I suggest it. So I honor his wishes and hang on to it even though dd chose a different gown, and I have no one else to pass it on to in the family.

I believe it. Mine won't let me sell our china. I cannot imagine why he cares, but he does, so...oh well.

How would you feel if the gown was remade into baby blessing/christening gowns for your grandchildren?

Is it the thought of your gown being cut that's uncomfortable to you?

Do you want it to be repurposed into something that stays in the family?

Do you want it to be repurposed into something that you get to see?

Do you secretly harbor a hope that your dd will want to use the dress?

For me, being able to let go of something means that I can articulate why it has served its purpose to me and why I no longer have that need.

I've been pondering letting go of my dress as well, as I'm in a similar situation and closet storage is now tight. I haven't done it yet. It's ok to be sentimental about a few things.

I don't want the gown cut up for any purpose, except I could accept a seamstress cutting and redesigning the neck part into something more current. (It is a high collar with beads like a necklace over illusion lace.) I wouldn't care about it staying in the family, but I would only want it to be used for a worthy purpose. Someone upthread talked about someone making GW gowns into a zombie bride costume for Halloween - that would be absolutely horrifying to me if I thought it went for something like that.

• Like 1

I think every instinct you have is good - preserving a piece of your past for future use..., donating it out of a desire to bring some small solace to the bereaved.,,.. I also like the option of having a christening gown made out of it for a grandchild.

All good options. All from the heart. Please don't make a decision out of guilt or burden. You have good, life-honoring options for various choices, and whatever you do will be 'good' in its own way.

• Like 1

When conflicted and the situation does not call for an immediate decision, sit with it for a little bit. When / if you are ready to donate it to the Angel Gown ministry, they will still take it then. If you decide to keep it, it does not cost you anything other than the space it occupies. :)

• Like 1

I didn't preserve mine either.  It's just hanging around in my closet.  It has aged some, but so have I (no kidding!) so maybe it will look about right when I am buried in it.  It's a pretty yellowing, anyway; sort of high quality whole jersey cow milk.  :0)

My sweet sewing professor made her wedding dress out of fabric her husband (then fiance) brought her from his military tour overseas. She cut it up to make baptismal gowns for her children. Her grandchildren also used them. I always thought that was a neat way of passing on an heirloom.

• Like 1