Menu

New traderJoes in our area, give me your list!

KatieJ

Raw almonds

flour, sugars and chocolate chips 

mini peanut butter crackers (DS loves these)

frozen veggies - they have some good blends

cereal is usually a great price there if you're a cereal eater

ravioli is yummy

crumpets!

I got a cute pot of mums 3 weeks ago that are still going strong on my kitchen table for $3.99 - can't beat that price!

The prices are much better there than our local store. I would say almost 50% less.

• Like 2

I get Kosher Chicken

Dunkers (oatmeal and cranberry flavor) (these go with tea and/or milk)

Chocolate covered raisins

I've picked up some prepared salads for co-op days for my lunch

(pass on the sushi)

their ice cream is the only kind I will bother to eat. I'm not a big fan of ice cream, but I grew up in Texas with Blue Bell, so none of the brands here in WA state taste anywhere near as good, but Trader Joe's was great.

Mayonnaise is good quality

Their fruit yogurt is very good (we like the mango and apricot ones)

Our favorites change from time to time, but at the moment our regular purchases are:

tortilla chips

double-roasted tomato salsa

black bean dip

individual bags of lite kettle corn

cereal bars--This fig walks into a bar or this month This pumpkin walks into a bar

baking powder and baking soda (love that the baking soda comes in a package like BP--easy to scoop and trim off excess)

unsweetened applesauce (because I had a bad experience with large Costco Treetop brand tasting "off")

macaroni and cheese and shells and cheese--usually cheaper than Annie's and frankly tastes the same

unsalted tomato products because we have to watch sodium

olive oil--I believe this is significantly cheaper than stores. Many varieties to choose your quality/price point.

frozen orange chicken, cha siu baos, potstickers

frozen hashbrown patties 

occasionally cookies or crackers (vanilla jo jo's, animal crackers, small ritz bitz type crackers)

very occasionally peanut butter cups or mini peanut butter cups

low sodium turkey sandwich meat

For a movie night I would get kettle corn or other chips, maybe some frozen pizzas or the puff pastry pigs in blankets, or make our own pizza with their pizza dough and pepperoni, vanilla jo jo's and milk, maybe peanut butter cups or another candy treat. If it's cold where you are, the spiced apple cider is nice heated up in the microwave. We only do that this time of year.

• Like 4

My usual list includes sunflower seeds, English breakfast tea, jarred mashed garlic,frozen orange chicken, orange fake chicken, salad greens, various cheeses - this is the best place to try out different cheeses, selection is great and prices are good - coffee ice cream, table water and other crackers, frozen raspberries, canned Mandarin oranges (from Spain, not China), chocolate (we like the 72% cacao mini bars best). 

I didn't know they had half-popped corn!  I'll look for that next time.  (Years ago I used to get something called "Popnots" which I think went out of business.)

Great place to go for Christmas gift basket items. 

Prices are excellent compared with "regular" grocery stores here.

• Like 2

Oh my, I drop about $200/week there :) And yes, the prices area amazing, IMO. So many good things, and they always have a sample for you to try (they have it set up outside their kitchen...it's a really brilliant thing!)

Vanilla ice cream. The only kind I'll buy.

Honey greek yogurt. So amazing! I sprinkle this new item (they just started selling) on it - it's a seed mixture that has all kinds of things like cranberries, coconut, chia seeds, etc. Yum. $4.99/bag.

Freeze dried fruit - my dd loves.

Organic fruit.

Organic bagged lettuces and kale.

cheese - the parmigiana is the best. I also buy mozzarella for pizza.

Chicken breasts and other chicken parts - free range/organic

Organic dairy - butter, sour cream, milk

Organic tortilla chips

Cereals - they have several organic ones we like

Oatmeal (organic)

Various frozen meals (they are usually really great)

Glass jarred spaghetti sauce (I think we get the vodka sauce) (organic)

whole wheat pasta (organic)

Jasmine rice (organic)

Raw honey

peanut butter

Nuts (almonds, peanuts, whatever...)

Coffee, organic

Wine selection is fabulous

And much more!!

Bottom line - browse around and pick up whatever looks interesting. Be warned - it's not like your typical grocery store. It's kind of small and they don't have five kinds of everything (usually only one, which is fine by me). At one point, I didn't understand TJ's, but now I absolutely love it. We go every Sunday morning. The people are the best there! They have a ton of organics and the prices for that are really amazing.

ETA: The Christmas goodies -- SOOOOOO good. That's where we buy most of our "treats" for the holidays. The peppermint stuff is to die for, especially the peppermint Jo-Joe's. OMG.

• Like 4

Nuts 

Frozen blueberries (the wild ones don't have pesticide but are less expensive than organic)

Frozen raspberries

Their frozen veggies are good. I like their Harvest vegetables mixture. It's really good with curry. 

Seaweed. 

Dark chocolate

Frozen Salmon

Frozen Cod pieces (I use them for fish tacos. Only $3.99/lb.) 

Organic yogurt

Balsamic vinegar

• Like 1

We â¤ï¸ TJ's!

Just wanted to add that they have a great return policy. Also, they'll open something up and let you taste it if you're on the fence about buying it. I did that with the half popped popcorn (mmmmm!) and the cookie butter chocolate bar (not as yummy as the caramel one).

In general I'm just so pleased with their atmosphere and customer service! And their food is great too.

• Like 1

Brace yourself for Candy Cane Jo-Jos season! And gingerbread chalets!

I go to TJs for their cereals, teas, cheeses, frozen Chinese foods, peanut butter, microwaveable fondue, candied ginger, jarred sauces, and marinated meats.

If you're a curly girl, their tea tree conditioner can replace your diva products and save you a bundle.

I think the prices are reasonable for the quality.  Some of our favorites:

frozen organic corn, frozen leeks, chicken nuggets, cheeses - lots of assortment, frozen chicken, tortellini, pizza dough, pizza sauce, marinara.  It's easy to get "treats" there because some of the snacks are so good.  I have to watch out for that.  Some of their staples are good such as olive oil, peanut butter, jelly, vinegars, oats, and frozen fruit.  They have a tri tip steak called Santa Maria that is so good made as fajitas.  SO GOOD.  I get their TJ brand hot dogs sometimes.  There is a trail mix that has chocolate covered pomegranate.  I haven't seen it in the store but a friend shared some.  I must overlook it every time. 

I really like trader joe's.  I'd go at least every other week if it were closer to me.  I think fresh produce is hit or miss.  Not my favorites.  Their freezer section is my favorite.

ETA - I keep remembering more!  Taco shells are organic and good, but sadly not stand 'n' stuff.  Chocolate!  They have a low carb tortilla that is very good.  And as a special treat to myself I sometimes get a chicken salad from the ready made section that has cranberries.  I don't know the name.  Sonoma valley maybe???

I do run across some things I don't like but they are few and far between.

Dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt and turbinado sugar... So yum!! A lot of their treats are so good!

Their frozen pineapple is the best and their frozen sweet corn

The small mango Greek yogurts are so amazing

Their Grade B maple syrup is the best price I've ever been able to find

Bags of organic apples

We love Trader Joe's and I consider them to have very good prices for most things! Our closest one is an hour and a half though so I don't get to go as often as I would like.

Nuts

Unsalted peanut butter

Frozen fire roasted veggies

Power to the Greens (bagged salad greens)

Tortellini (dried)

Organic olive oil

Sesame oil

Sriracha sauce--it's not quite as spicy as some other brands

Indian Basmati rice

Kettle corn

Cowboy caviar salsa (love!)

Aioli garlic mustard sauce

Organic dried cranberries

Frozen meals for big sports nights and lazy days

Fresh flowers :)

It's pumpkin season there. Be prepared.

I think it really depends on your tastes as to what you'll like. I find that nine times out of ten, the quality of the TJ's food is really good. However, not the produce. Sometimes there are good deals for something really in season. The bag greens prices are pretty good. There are a few things... but mostly, it's from farther away than anything else and poorer quality than the local grocery store. Plus, the prices aren't that much better. The meat is also just okay. It's the cooking supplies, frozen foods, snacks, cheeses, dairy, wine, cereals, etc. that are the good stuff, IMO.

• Like 4

Salsa and coconut milk are good too. DH likes the coffee, but I don't drink coffee so I can't speak to that. This thread is great. I have to stop by there after co-op tomorrow and I'm generating my list now.

I need a  spreadsheet and a map of the store! I may ever get out of there tomorrow! I may be glad it's on the other side of town, 25 -30 minutes from me.😳

I find TJ's to have the best prices in the area on specialty cheeses. For instance, I love white stilton with apricots--the last time I bought it at TJ's I think it was under $10 a lb, which is half of what it is in any other grocery store in the area.

Things I regularly get there:

everything crackers

Welsh Collier cheddar (my husband likes a very sharp cheddar)

Laughing Cow light cheese wedges ($2.99 vs. $3.50-$5 in other stores)

partially popped popcorn (as good or better than Popnots)

soy chorizo

large tubs of plain yogurt

dark chocolate nibs (in a little tin thing at the front)

bananas

cut flowers

I was in there tonight and was overwhelmed by all the pumpkin stuff!

But I totally forgot to list above, and to buy when I was there, an amazing cheddar cheese:  Unexpected Cheddar.  I had it at a party served with TJ's Butter Almond Thins.  Seemed like an odd combo but so so good!

We don't have a tj's :( so whenever we happen to be in one of the cities that do we buy the following: A case of Charles buckshaw Cab Sav (2 buck chuck)  Flavored Olive Oil,  Pumpkin seeds, Trader Joe cracker jack, Cocunut oil, Cookie butter, Tj's Pumpkin Spice Tea  and Esspresso Pillows plus whatever other stuff looks good.

We don't drink alcohol a lot, but dh likes their beer selection and I like their ciders.

My kids love the plantain chips.

Nuts and seeds are good prices compared to the other stores.

Their pita breads and tortillas don't have a list of 10 zillion ingredients with names I can't pronounce. Very simple and basic ingredients instead. I keep these in the freezer when not eating within a few days since they don't have many preservatives.

Organic popcorn kernels.

The foods that have their name as the brand aren't supposed to contain GMOs. So I buy all my canola oil and regular corn there.

Chocolate Babka is deeeeelicious. I can't buy it. If you do, slice and heat it ever so slightly for maximum chocolate gooey delight.

Baby Arugula

Different leafy greens--watercress, lamb's ear, good price on kale

Roasted beets in a vac pouch

Tri-color carrots

Avocado

Shallots

Lemons and Limes

Meyer lemons in season

Honeybells in season

Yogurt if I'm too lazy to make my own

Probiotic yogurt drinks (see above)

Sour cream

Cream cheese

Butter

Cheeeeeeeeeeses--cheese sticks, individually wrapped goat cheese disks, mexican blend, lots of different varieties at very reasonable prices

Honey Nut O's

Strawberry Yogurt O's

This Apple/Strawberry/Fig/Blueberry Walked Into A Bar (cereal bars similar to Nutrigrain but so much better! They have pumpkin right now.)

Puffins

Peanut Butter Granola Bars

Organic Oats

Nuts and seeds--currently they have a flavored pumpkin seed that's really good.

Dried fruits (chile spiced mango is dangerously good)

Freeze dried fruits

Nut butters

Salsa Authentica

Green Dragon Sauce (sort of a mild, cilantro-y version of sriracha)

Coconut Cream in the brown and white can is great sub for whipped cream or low carb treat

Pizza sauce in jar

Olive oil

Red Wine Vinegar

Rice Wine Vinegar

Grape seed oil

Coffee beans (can't remember name, but it's fair trade and in an orange and green can)

21 Seasoning Salute

Lemon pepper grinder

Cocoa powder (better than Hershey's, not as good as Penzey's but cheaper)

Maple syrup

Frozen organic broccoli and green beans

Carrot balls (called something else)

Frozen pie crust and puff pastry (seasonal)

I am sure there's more...

I think it really depends on your tastes as to what you'll like. I find that nine times out of ten, the quality of the TJ's food is really good. However, not the produce. Sometimes there are good deals for something really in season. The bag greens prices are pretty good. There are a few things... but mostly, it's from farther away than anything else and poorer quality than the local grocery store. Plus, the prices aren't that much better. The meat is also just okay. It's the cooking supplies, frozen foods, snacks, cheeses, dairy, wine, cereals, etc. that are the good stuff, IMO.

Yes, watch out for pumpkin overload.  It is EVERYWHERE.

I completely agree with Farrar's take on TJs.  The produce is iffy and I don't buy meat there any more because I no longer trust their sell-by dates.  But it's great for cheeses, frozen foods, and nonperishables, especially nuts and dried fruit.  

• Like 1

Where's the green-with-envy emoticon when I need it?

Please, Trader Joe's, the Midwest needs you!!!

There is 1 in Cincinnati, 2 in Cleveland, 1 in Indianapolis, 2 near Detroit, 1 in Ann Arbor, 3 in Chicago, 2 in Milwaukee, 1 in Madison, WI, 3 in St. Louis, 2 in Kansas City, 1 in Des Moines, 3 in the Minneapolis metro, and 1 in Lincoln, Nebraska. I sincerely hope one of these is near enough to you because TJs is awesome!!!!

The only thing I could say that wouldn't be a repeat is their lavendar bath wash. Great for eczema. Oh, and their organic ketchup is great and super cheap!

Heading over to check it out tomorrow . What should I be looking for.

I have been in one once, and my friend had an adgenda so I didn't get to look around much. Honestly I wasn't impressed. However, I am open to new ideas here. 😄

Honestly, I go in with my entire shopping list and get everything I can there.  I have found since I started doing that, I am spending a LOT less on groceries.  I can't say how much because there are two things that happened about the same time - we bought all our meat in bulk and shopping at TJ's.  Between the two, I am spending at least $50-75 less per week.

• Like 1

This.

At least TJ pumpkin products contain pumpkin afaik. In my local supermarket, many of the pumpkin products have pumpkin pie spice, but no actual pumpkin.

There is 1 in Cincinnati, 2 in Cleveland, 1 in Indianapolis, 2 near Detroit, 1 in Ann Arbor, 3 in Chicago, 2 in Milwaukee, 1 in Madison, WI, 3 in St. Louis, 2 in Kansas City, 1 in Des Moines, 3 in the Minneapolis metro, and 1 in Lincoln, Nebraska. I sincerely hope one of these is near enough to you because TJs is awesome!!!!

Alas, the nearest ones are still hours away. :(  However, we now have a Whole Foods in our area, so I won't give up hope!  

Alas, the nearest ones are still hours away. :( However, we now have a Whole Foods in our area, so I won't give up hope!

We are 3 hours from one but my family lives near by so we are already there visiting about once a month anyway. I guess driving that far just for groceries is a little over the top. I hope one opens up close to you soon!

• Like 2

Our regular pick-ups include:

Onion bagels

Whipped cream cheese

Salsa especial - medium (so good)

Frozen French green beans

Chile-Lime chicken burgers (delicious with guacamole)

Frozen orange chicken

Hash brown patties

Dark chocolate peanut butter cups

Their pumpkin spice pumpkin seeds are really tasty

Add-on question: Do you all feel the prices at Trader Joe's are reasonable (for the quality)?

Yes. Definitely. When we are near one, I prefer to do most of my shopping there. 

My list:

vegetarian meats

Deli meats for my kids

Prepared (frozen) vegan meals

Gluten free everything-the cupcakes are delicious

Salsa and snacks

dried fruit and nuts

Cheap wine

Good beer

Good quality convenience foods-like pancake mix without all the scary stuff

Good chocolate

Household items, like toothpaste, shampoo, dish soap, sunblock-great prices for chemical free

I don't eat sweets, but I hear the JoJos cookies are tdf.

• Like 1

Great prices! We buy nuts, almond milk and soy or coconut yogurt for my son with a milk allergy, meats, quick frozen lunches like tamales or Indian meals, hummus, salsas, produce of course, soy chorizo that's great, meats, soy cheeses and regular cheese, coffee, tea, oatmeal, chocolate, frozen dinner items like stir-fry veggies, frozen minced garlic (a must-have!)... I love that we can get our boys cereals, snacks and desserts that have better ingredients than what you'll find at the grocery store. Great prices for a health food store!

Most of our favs have already been mentioned.  I'll add a few.  I may have missed these mentioned.

Organic Vanana and French Vanilla yogurt(kids love)  Thicker than regular yogurts, not as thick as Greek

Taco seasoning(1 pkg is good for 2 lbs of beef or chicken.  It's spicy though so we use 1 pkg for 3 lbs)

Frozen cherries

Frozen peppers-so convienient to add to crockpot meals

I love TJs!  Our nearest is a bit over an hour away.  I only get there a few times a year.  So wish we had one closer!

What might be more helpful is a things to avoid list:  

1. Sushi - The taste isn't good, which isn't surprising after I saw the ingredient list.  
  2. Tortillas - I shop often at the Trader Joes on the floor below my office.  So, I still buy them because I can walk there.  But they are dry and crumbly.  I haven't noticed if they are low-fat, but they taste like something made low-fat that shouldn't be.  

Speaking of fat, an indulgence is the chocolate covered potato chips.  Truly evil, in a good way.  Everything else I've had has been good, and I frequently pop in for lunch.  

• Like 1

What might be more helpful is a things to avoid list:  

1. Sushi - The taste isn't good, which isn't surprising after I saw the ingredient list.  
  2. Tortillas - I shop often at the Trader Joes on the floor below my office.  So, I still buy them because I can walk there.  But they are dry and crumbly.  I haven't noticed if they are low-fat, but they taste like something made low-fat that shouldn't be.  

Speaking of fat, an indulgence is the chocolate covered potato chips.  Truly evil, in a good way.  Everything else I've had has been good, and I frequently pop in for lunch.  

Agreed about the sushi. It was very disappointing. The texture of the rice was bad, IMO.

I have my list of potentials made up. I have grandsons to,pick up after school.a d the we will head over there. It's y their end of town so they are kind of excited to check it out. I think their mommy will shop,there often.

Sushi didn't make the list and it never will. I can't talk myself into trying the stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions every one!

• Like 1