Menu

Your easy meatless monday meal if you are not a diehard vegetarian family, please! :)

6packofun

We would like to institute Meatless Monday here!  Dh was in the hospital this week...he's 43 and had to have a heart cath, 2 stents put in for 80% blockage.

The man does NOT like beans.  I made a lentil stew tonight and he was meh about it, but hey, that's not NO!  LOL  So we're willing to try some dishes that maybe don't require too many ethnic spices that I probably not have on hand.  (I can get 1 or 2 if I need to, but our budget is tight.)  I need to think outside of our meat and potatoes kind of meals, which is what he prefers.  We do eat a lot of chicken and not very much red meat, so I honestly think his diet hasn't been terrible.  (He has a bad family history of heart trouble.)

Thank you for any recipes you can share for a family just starting out on plant-based meals!  :)

This is one of our very favorites and SO easy:

http://damndelicious.net/2014/06/13/one-pot-zucchini-mushroom-pasta/

I make it with zucchini when I can, but most of the time I make it with just extra mushrooms and lots of peas, and I add extra cheese. I've made it with milk instead of cream and it tasted just as good. Any kind of pasta works. I'll add a few others if I can hunt some up.

OK, here are a few others we like a lot:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/primavera-orzo-recipe.html

http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/09/one-pan-mexican-quinoa/

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/15-minute-spinach-pesto-quinoa-bowl/

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/08/summer-vegetable-tian/(served with some other kind of roasted veggie--broccoli or cabbage or Brussels sprouts or cauliflower)

Veggie/cheese quesadillas (tomatoes/onions/avocado with a sprinkle of cheddar or monterey jack cheese

And portabello (portabella?) mushroom "burgers"--even my meat-and-potatoes DH loves these. I always thought they'd be gross, until I made them for the first time. SO not gross and so very easy. We sprinkle the mushroom with salt and pepper, and then add a slice of good provolone once the mushroom is cooked through. I eat them with a knife and fork but everyone else eats them on whole grain flatbreads. 

Are you on Plan to Eat? If you are, PM me and I'll "friend" you. We just came through a vegetarian phase (it didn't stick, but we're still eating less meat than we used to), so I have a ton of meals tagged as vegetarian and vegan. 

• Like 2

I'm linking to a topic I started on red curry:  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/561076-red-curry/?hl=%2Bred+%2Bcurry&do=findComment&comment=6527114

The replies by whitestavern and abba12 (replies 7 and 8, respectively) would work.  I have tried them, and they are both quite good!  (Perhaps take a light hand with the curry, if it isn't something he normally enjoys.) 

Baked potatoes with veggie toppings are a treat around our house. 

• Like 1

My non-bean eating, prefers meat with dinner DH likes this: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/07/one-pan-farro-with-tomatoes/ You can make it with spaghetti also, but I find the farrow heartier and a nice change of pace.

Moosewood vegetarian chili is another great one: http://www.mouthofwonder.com/2007/02/moosewood-vegetarian-chili.htm I puree half the beans when I make it for DH, and he doesn't know.  I often serve it over sweet potatoes or baked acorn squash.

• Like 3

My bean disliking dh really likes veggie chili. I usually do roasted veggies (corn, zucchini, carrots, peppers, onions, eggplant, etc.) and black beans and all the chili add ins like tomatoes and tomato paste and veggie broth to keep it wet. Or I go more winter veg and do roasted root veggies, but a little fewer because they have a stronger flavor.

• Like 1

Baked falafel might be appreciated.

I'd be careful about replacing meat with cheese and cream-based dishes. They're probably worse for you.

I don't even know what falafel is.  LOL  I shall Google!

Yes, I totally agree about the cheesy stuff.  Dairy doesn't tend to sit too well with him so we go easy on that anyway.  (His weakness is in the fast/fried foods department.)

What about learning to make a nice stir fry. One that is heavy on the vegetables and light on the meat.

Maybe check some vegetarian cookbooks out of the library and see if anything tempts him.

Oh, great idea!  See, this is why I needed some advice.  It didn't even occur to me to make my chicken stir fry without the chicken once in a while.  LOL

I have perfected our tofu and quinoa lettuce wraps. I buy the firm tofu and pat it dry with a paper towel. I cut it in small cubes and sautee it with a little garlic and some sort of chicken seasoning. Make the quinoa with sauteed onions and diced bell peppers. Mix it all together, and I have added beans (but also have made it without). Wrap it up in a lettuce leaf. We love them :)

• Like 3

I like red/orange lentils better than brown/green lentils and there are lots of good recipes for them. I often use eggs and/or pressed tofu for protein. We don't eat lots of beans but I do use garbanzos and black beans sometimes. Garbanzos are delicious when you fry them with any number of spices. I definitely agree with avoiding cheese and cream cheese. An interesting option is to make peanut-rice soup or purĂƒÂ©e. Use equal parts of peanuts and rice. Boil whole peanuts (shelled, but it doesn't matter if the papery skins are still on) for about an hour in lots of water, then add the rice and more water, if necessary, bring back to a boil and cook another 20 minutes. Blend that all up and season it. I use shallot oil and soy sauce, but you could just use salt or any number of other things. Serve it with vegetables. Another idea is to make real tacos. There are tons of meatless taco fillings and you just serve them with soft corn tortillas. I usually make three or four different fillings for a family of five.

• Like 2

Well, I probably don't count because we're vegans and eat beans because we like them. However, I can tell you what we've liked that others have enjoyed with us.

New England Glam Chowder - http://www.theppk.com/2013/10/new-england-glam-chowder-video/

Broccoli and Vegetable Stir-fry with cashews - http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/broccoli-vegetable-teriyaki-stir-fry-cashews-vegan-gluten-free/

Everyday Pad Thai - http://www.theppk.com/2013/09/everyday-pad-thai/

Baked potato bar with plenty of fixings (or even themed toppings like tacos, BBQ, etc)

Spaghetti with marinara sauce, garlic bread, and a big green salad (lettuce, fennel, green/red pepper, cucumber, shredded carrot, shreded red cabbage)

My people do not like green/brown lentils unless they're in something and not recognizable. They deal with red lentils better. You might also consider roasted chickpeas. They have a very different texture and the flavor will vary based upon your seasonings. Sometimes we have farro with garlicky veggies and a vinagrette and then top it with roasted chickpeas. That might be too "hardcore" or whatever, but it was tasty.

• Like 2

The problem probably isn't the meat he's eating, it's the veggies he isn't eating. Increasing carbs to replace meat won't do his heart much good (pasta, etc). Beans, sure. But pasta? Nope. Increasing blood sugar is what really damages the arteries, NOT cholesterol. The cholesterol is just trying to repair the damage. Trying to lower cholesterol without addressing the blood sugar/triglycerides is like trying to fix an open wound by ripping off the bandaid. Need to address the real problem. 

How are his blood sugar and triglyceride numbers? Any history of diabetes in the family?

• Like 13

I hesitate to give diet advice because I know different bodies react differently when it comes to meat and dairy, but few hearts do well on simple carbs. Be careful bringing in simple carbs like pasta and white potatoes which is easy to do when cutting down on meat.

We aren't fond of most multi-grain pasta, but we really like Barilla's ProteinPlus. I don't know what your dh doesn't like about beans, but disguising them might help - mashing, etc. Spices are much cheaper online or bulk at a health food store. I'm vegetarian and couldn't cook without my spices! They are outrageous at the grocery though.

Basmati rice with Goya black bean soup (undiluted, just reheated and poured on top) makes the quickest and yummiest meal ever. My friends who hate beans love this dish, so it might be worth a try even if he thinks he hates beans.

!!!! OMG I am dying - autocorrect changed "yummiest" to "kinkiest." !!!

• Like 4

Oh, great idea!  See, this is why I needed some advice.  It didn't even occur to me to make my chicken stir fry without the chicken once in a while.  LOL

well, you will prob want some protein in there or it won't be as satisfying.  But maybe use much less? You want to increase his veggie intake overall. 

After you mangage a 'meatless monday' you can move towards no meat before dinner.  Start with a couple lunches, switching to hummus sandwich, veggies burgers, non-meat breakfasts etc.

You might want to watch the movie "Forks over Knives" (streaming on netflix) to get an idea of some ways to change his diet.  It is really pushing for a vegan diet, but you don't have to incorporate everything, I swear. We are NOT vegan, but dh and I found it very educational and have made some very positive changes in our diets. If you feel like you can watch it with an open mind and start moving towards a better diet then it is very helpful. 

Why doesn't he like beans? There are so many beans and you can do SO much with them, that it seems a shame to rule them out entirely.

Refried beans with bakes tortilla chips? Is that a no-no? Or in a burrito?  No black bean or split pea soup or minestrone? No three bean chilli? No making a ratatouille with a can of chick peas tossed in? No hummus with chips or carrots? No baked beans?

• Like 2

You might want to watch the movie "Forks over Knives" (streaming on netflix) to get an idea of some ways to change his diet.  It is really pushing for a vegan diet, but you don't have to incorporate everything, I swear. We are NOT vegan, but dh and I found it very educational and have made some very positive changes in our diets. If you feel like you can watch it with an open mind and start moving towards a better diet then it is very helpful. 

LOL: What follows is the post I wrote last night about "Forks over Knives" --- but was too chicken to post. And then realized the OP said no beans.. so even my recipe was a no-go. (I see someone also likes that moosewood cookbook upstream, though. :) )

Your post really struck me this evening because I just randomly spent the day looking into Dr. Esselstyn's research on reversing heart disease. I have been feeling not so great myself (the occasional twinge in my heart....) and then heard a local radio program about the new movie "Plant Pure Nation" that's playing in my town... rabbit trail here... rabbit trail there... Netflixed Forks over Knives.... and I kinda binged on Vegan Info all day. It has definitely made me want to at least look into trying a diet like that for a month or so to see how it makes me feel.

Anyhow... I know what it is to NOT want to give up my meat and dairy... *for sure*. I think I could probably do most of it, until I think about ditching my coffee creamer, lol. There are just some lines I know I will never cross. But when you posted about your dh it made me wonder if I had watched it all for a reason.... KWIM?

(Here's where I mentioned the moosewood veggie chili, lol)

ETA today:

Another one we love out of Moosewood Cooks at Home is the Sweet Potato Salad... so crazy yummy and satisfying... and also the curried chick peas with the coconut basmati rice. Definite comfort foods in this house. If you'd like, pm me your address and I will send you those.

My husband is dairy free and gluten free already, and honestly, the thought of learning to cook all over again *again* is daunting. Even though we eat very little meat (mostly as an ingredient to a one dish meal as opposed to the main component....) we have really just been modding what we usually eat for him (and having pizza for lunch :laugh:). Going completely vegan would be a big change, but the more I read, the more I want to give it a go.

*Very* glad your hubby was able to get medical attention, OP. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 2

The problem probably isn't the meat he's eating, it's the veggies he isn't eating. Increasing carbs to replace meat won't do his heart much good (pasta, etc). Beans, sure. But pasta? Nope. Increasing blood sugar is what really damages the arteries, NOT cholesterol. The cholesterol is just trying to repair the damage. Trying to lower cholesterol without addressing the blood sugar/triglycerides is like trying to fix an open wound by ripping off the bandaid. Need to address the real problem. 

How are his blood sugar and triglyceride numbers? Any history of diabetes in the family?

There is diabetes in his family, but his blood sugar was in the normal range.  I don't have the numbers, but his cholesterol (total) was at the tippy top of the OK range.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense.  His triglycerides are always slightly elevated and his total cholesterol hovers just out of the unhealthy category.  We don't have pasta more than once a week and I have occasionally swapped regular pasta with rice or quinoa pasta, not sure if that's any better?

LOL: What follows is the post I wrote last night about "Forks over Knives" --- but was too chicken to post. And then realized the OP said no beans.. so even my recipe was a no-go. (I see someone also likes that moosewood cookbook upstream, though. :) )

Your post really struck me this evening because I just randomly spent the day looking into Dr. Esselstyn's research on reversing heart disease. I have been feeling not so great myself (the occasional twinge in my heart....) and then heard a local radio program about the new movie "Plant Pure Nation" that's playing in my town... rabbit trail here... rabbit trail there... Netflixed Forks over Knives.... and I kinda binged on Vegan Info all day. It has definitely made me want to at least look into trying a diet like that for a month or so to see how it makes me feel.

Anyhow... I know what it is to NOT want to give up my meat and dairy... *for sure*. I think I could probably do most of it, until I think about ditching my coffee creamer, lol. There are just some lines I know I will never cross. But when you posted about your dh it made me wonder if I had watched it all for a reason.... KWIM?

(Here's where I mentioned the moosewood veggie chili, lol)

ETA today:

Another one we love out of Moosewood Cooks at Home is the Sweet Potato Salad... so crazy yummy and satisfying... and also the curried chick peas with the coconut basmati rice. Definite comfort foods in this house. If you'd like, pm me your address and I will send you those.

My husband is dairy free and gluten free already, and honestly, the thought of learning to cook all over again *again* is daunting. Even though we eat very little meat (mostly as an ingredient to a one dish meal as opposed to the main component....) we have really just been modding what we usually eat for him (and having pizza for lunch :laugh:). Going completely vegan would be a big change, but the more I read, the more I want to give it a go.

*Very* glad your hubby was able to get medical attention, OP. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thank you for understanding!  I have a friend who is a Forks over Knives groupie and became vegan a couple years ago.  It really got her cholesterol down and she trimmed up, too.  She's running half marathons now, of course.  LOL  :P

Split pea soup.  Just put a lot of garlic in.

Hummus.

I love falafel, but it's not something I'd be making on my own.

If you use red lentils they pretty much fall apart into mush so he might not know what he's getting.  Once again, lots of garlic.  Throw in some kale and it won't look anything like legumes.  I've also made a nice red lentil soup with coconut milk.  It might have ethnic spices.  (Every time I make it I have to get the recipe off the web somewhere, so it can't be hard to find)

I know you said no lentils, but consider ketchup as a condiment.  It might completely change the dynamic.  I boil lentils with rice and add a lot of pepper.  My husband douses it with ketchup.  I think it just tastes like a fairly moist steak at that point.  He actually prefers the lentils over steak and he's not exactly a vegetarian.

We also do a lot of "things on pasta".  Meatless tomato sauce, vegetables, etc.  Sometimes I throw in kidney beans and no one notices.  We do macaroni and cheese too, but I'm not sure that's what the drs are thinking of when they say meatless.

Refried beans and cheese and salsa in a tortilla is a big favorite here.  Homemade refried beans are way better than canned (which taste like dog food to me), but we ate canned for years with no one but me complaining.

I guess our chili tends to be vegetarian too because we're always too lazy to put meat in it.  It comes out fine.  With the spices, we don't notice the "missing" meat.  I kind of prefer it.  Ground meat in chili always seems a little chewy and strange to me.

I know a lot of people who replace meat with textured vegetable protein.  It's not my thing, but some people swear by it.

• Like 1

Why doesn't he like beans? There are so many beans and you can do SO much with them, that it seems a shame to rule them out entirely.

Refried beans with bakes tortilla chips? Is that a no-no? Or in a burrito?  No black bean or split pea soup or minestrone? No three bean chilli? No making a ratatouille with a can of chick peas tossed in? No hummus with chips or carrots? No baked beans?

I asked him and he said, "Because they're gross."  lol  He explained further that he does't like the taste or consistency.  Similar to peas which he also does not like.  To me, beans don't have much taste!  Whatever.  I *do* make chicken tortilla soup with a whole can of fat-free refried beans in it, but because they are basically pureed, he doesn't notice.  But refried beans on a tortilla or nachos?  No.  He has always hated chili and since I was never a huge fan of it, either, we haven't had it in years!

He also doesn't like mushrooms, but we ARE trying those meatballs posted above!!   

However, he NEVER ate fish (that wasn't breaded, ugh) before we were married and will eat several kinds now.  So he can get used to some things. Same with asparagus, brussel sprouts, and zucchini and yellow squash--in smaller quantities.  ;)

(Hehe...I just called into the other room and said, "Wait, don't you eat baked beans??"  He said no and ds21 standing right here shook his head and muttered, "Crazy."  LOL!

• Like 1

There is diabetes in his family, but his blood sugar was in the normal range. I don't have the numbers, but his cholesterol (total) was at the tippy top of the OK range.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense. His triglycerides are always slightly elevated and his total cholesterol hovers just out of the unhealthy category. We don't have pasta more than once a week and I have occasionally swapped regular pasta with rice or quinoa pasta, not sure if that's any better?

You might use spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta. Also, those spiralizers can make "pasta" out of veggies.

Split pea soup. Just put a lot of garlic in.

Hummus.

I love falafel, but it's not something I'd be making on my own.

If you use red lentils they pretty much fall apart into mush so he might not know what he's getting. Once again, lots of garlic. Throw in some kale and it won't look anything like legumes. I've also made a nice red lentil soup with coconut milk. It might have ethnic spices. (Every time I make it I have to get the recipe off the web somewhere, so it can't be hard to find)

I know you said no lentils, but consider ketchup as a condiment. It might completely change the dynamic. I boil lentils with rice and add a lot of pepper. My husband douses it with ketchup. I think it just tastes like a fairly moist steak at that point. He actually prefers the lentils over steak and he's not exactly a vegetarian.

We also do a lot of "things on pasta". Meatless tomato sauce, vegetables, etc. Sometimes I throw in kidney beans and no one notices. We do macaroni and cheese too, but I'm not sure that's what the drs are thinking of when they say meatless.

Refried beans and cheese and salsa in a tortilla is a big favorite here. Homemade refried beans are way better than canned (which taste like dog food to me), but we ate canned for years with no one but me complaining.

I guess our chili tends to be vegetarian too because we're always too lazy to put meat in it. It comes out fine. With the spices, we don't notice the "missing" meat. I kind of prefer it. Ground meat in chili always seems a little chewy and strange to me.

I know a lot of people who replace meat with textured vegetable protein. It's not my thing, but some people swear by it.

Wheatberries are a great meat replacement in chili.

Homemade mac&cheese with broccoli

Bean quesadillas

Minestrone soup

Cream of broccoli soup

Hot veggie subs

Spaghetti with sauce and Parmesan, just no meat

Vegetable pot pie

Eggs and potatoes

Don't discount soup and grilled cheese.

I mostly just make what we like minus the meat. My dh is also picky and not adventurous. He will sometime

Se eat a ham and cheese sandwich if dinner is too weird. My oldest dd has been a vegetarian since she was 12 so I would either make a veg meal or just dish hers up before the meat.

We would like to institute Meatless Monday here!  Dh was in the hospital this week...he's 43 and had to have a heart cath, 2 stents put in for 80% blockage.

The man does NOT like beans.  I made a lentil stew tonight and he was meh about it, but hey, that's not NO!  LOL  So we're willing to try some dishes that maybe don't require too many ethnic spices that I probably not have on hand.  (I can get 1 or 2 if I need to, but our budget is tight.)  I need to think outside of our meat and potatoes kind of meals, which is what he prefers.  We do eat a lot of chicken and not very much red meat, so I honestly think his diet hasn't been terrible.  (He has a bad family history of heart trouble.)

Thank you for any recipes you can share for a family just starting out on plant-based meals!   :)

Glad he got the care he needed.

We've done Meatless Mondays for 2.5 years now.  It was a good 18 months before anyone other than our one vegetarian even noticed a pattern, LOL.  The best go-to meals that everyone in the family is happy with are:

Eggplant parm

Felafel (in pita sandwiches, with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, and tahini sauce)

Baked ziti

Homemade pizza

(in winter) Black bean, chick pea or lentil soup with good or homemade bread and salad

ETA: Saag paneer (Indian spinach/cheese/tomato dish on rice)

ETA (2): Spanakopita or slacker hack spinach/filo casserole

Other meals that generate no more than 1 person moaning re: where's the meat:  

Black bean enchiladas

Quinoa fritters

Quiche (feta & tomato & spinach, or broccoli & cheddar)

Pesto pasta with veggie stuff in it

Sesame noodles and eggplant stir fry

ETA: Ravioli with sundried tomatoes

I tend to agree with this -- simply swapping out carbs (or cheese and cream) for meat is unlikely to get the job done.  Instituting MM is a good idea for other reasons, and it's easier than you might expect, but upping the veggies and healthier choices overall is the real challenge.

I asked him and he said, "Because they're gross."  lol  He explained further that he does't like the taste or consistency.  Similar to peas which he also does not like.  To me, beans don't have much taste!  Whatever.  I *do* make chicken tortilla soup with a whole can of fat-free refried beans in it, but because they are basically pureed, he doesn't notice.  But refried beans on a tortilla or nachos?  No.  He has always hated chili and since I was never a huge fan of it, either, we haven't had it in years!

He also doesn't like mushrooms, but we ARE trying those meatballs posted above!!   

However, he NEVER ate fish (that wasn't breaded, ugh) before we were married and will eat several kinds now.  So he can get used to some things. Same with asparagus, brussel sprouts, and zucchini and yellow squash--in smaller quantities.   ;)

See, the bolded leads me to suspect there is great scope for nudging him in more adventurous / healthy directions.  Also having gone through this experience he'll maybe be more motivated than he's been in the past?

These are to die for and the spiced chickpeas really taste more like a meat filling to my meat loving kiddos.

http://www.thugkitchen.com/roasted_chickpea_broccoli_burrito

Those look AWESOME.  Thanks!

• Like 2

Stuffed peppers:

Puree a can of white beans and season however you like.  I keep it simple with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Mix leftover rice with chopped roasted peppers and chopped red onion. You could add anything else you want (olives, corn, chopped spinach, etc.).  Add some of the bean puree to the rice mixture.  It's only a small amount used as a binder and for light flavoring.  Once the peppers are baked or grilled, you can't even tell they have beans in them.  If you really want to skip the beans you could substitute an egg or another binder.  My dh eats beans but will complain about having them too often and he didn't know these had beans in them.

I would not worry about not getting enough protein.  There's protein in other foods you're besides meat and dairy.  Starches can provide satiety...not crackers and bread but whole, intact starches like potatoes (white and sweet), brown rice, quinoa, barley, etc.  Brown rice and whole grain pasta may be healthier but we prefer white.  It's not the bulk of our diet and I don't consider it a hill to die on.  I save the brown rice or whole wheat pasta for dishes where the lighter taste of white will not be missed.

• Like 1

Did his doctors send him home with any recipes?  They should have.  A lot of doctors do that now.

I ran into this:

http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com/Meatless%20Meals%20Printable%20Book%208.5x11.pdf

I found this recipe interesting:

Fast Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 can tomato soup

1/2 can water

1 can cream corn

1 Package ramen noodle soup

Worcestershire sauce

Onion salt

Sugar Salt and pepper to taste

It's like they were spying in some grad student's kitchen

• Like 1

Did his doctors send him home with any recipes?  They should have.  A lot of doctors do that now.

I ran into this:

http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com/Meatless%20Meals%20Printable%20Book%208.5x11.pdf

I found this recipe interesting:

Fast Noodle Soup

Ingredients:

1 can tomato soup

1/2 can water

1 can cream corn

1 Package ramen noodle soup

Worcestershire sauce

Onion salt

Sugar Salt and pepper to taste

It's like they were spying in some grad student's kitchen

No, the nutrition advice was very scant, unfortunately.  I'm hoping that at his follow-up appointment they'll discuss that.  It was pretty basic: Eat lean meats, more veggies, try to control salt.  I thought maybe they'd send him to a nutritionist, honestly.  The American Heart Association may have some good recipes. I haven't checked there in a while.  Thanks for the recipe booklet...looks good!

Someone upthread mentioned Dr. Esselstyn.  He is a cardiologist who has successfully reversed heart disease in his most dire patients.  He has a book, Preventing and Reversing Heart Disease, which outlines his dietary recommendations.  Our library system has it.  He certainly has the background knowledge and success rate to back up what he advises.

• Like 1