Menu

Things Your 2 year old LOVES?

mathmarm

My son's favorite toy as a toddler was a baby doll stroller.  He used to love to fill it with things (baby dolls, Thomas the Train engines*, rocks) and run it into things to make the contents fly everywhere.

My son got the stroller and a baby doll for Christmas when he was almost 2.  Someone asked him "What's the baby's name?" and he replied "Jesus", which we thought was appropriate for a baby that arrived on Christmas.  We should have talked him out of it, because it is super embarrassing when your toddler is crashing a stroller into trees and then yelling "No, Jesus!  Don't fall out!"  as if it was the baby's fault.  

*I would say these were his second favorite toy.  His little ride on car rounded out the list.  

• Like 2

I have a 2 year old boy.

Books: Who Loves You Baby by Nina Laden. Spooky Night, the nose knows (it has a finger puppet bat with a magnetic nose that attaches to the objects each page asks you to find). Very well made book.

Counting books provided I make noises for each of the animals. Lift the flap books.

Toys: trains and cars.

If it's a girl, I highly recommend the $25 dollar sets of animal figures from Animal Planet. Girls never grow out of cute figurines. Adorable, soft, nice size, easy to clean, and durable. We have every set including the dinosaur one. They were my son's favorite up until his obsession with cars and trains.

Puzzles: Neither of my children enjoyed puzzles at the age of 2. That's more of a 3 years old and up past time.

Games: Anything to do with a ball. It helps build hand and eye coordination too. The ones with the soft rubber spikes really helps them grip it.

Foods: My son loves fruit and most veggies and that is our usual snack. Food he never turns down is mashed potatoes, noodles, pizza, and french fries. But if you are looking for gift food. Gold Fish Crackers and M&Ms.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• rubbermaid bins or cardboard boxes

her very precious dollies

when my ds was two his favourite was a little construction man figure that went with him everywhere and were placed on every block creation. All little figures in our house get funny biblical names. This one happened to be Ichabod. He's still quite fond of Ichabod.

duplo or megablocks

• Like 2

The box that presents came in.

Someone to play with.

Books!

A music box that she could operate.  We would hear it start up in the middle of the night if she awoke.  If you go this route, try it out in the store as you may be hearing it A LOT!  Ours played a very pleasant rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow and had one big knob that was easily turned.

Regards,

kareni

• Like 1

My current (fourth, and probably last) two year old boy loves:

Anything that isn't actually his, and even better if he can somehow dump it.

His stuffed puppy, and the little puppy on wheels with a string. He takes it for walks and will pretend to make either puppy eat food.

Baby dolls.

Play food. The wooden pizza set with Velcro gets a lot of play.

Baby doll high chair and play food so he can feed the baby. Doll carrier for slinging the baby.

The train table and trains and pieces. (He has a ton of imagination and will get very into pretend play.)

Books,me specially with babies, animals, or diggers. Little Blue Truck is a huge favorite, as is Are You My Mother?

His bubble mower

Puzzles

Costumes, hats, shoes

Batman. We have a bunch of the Imaginext stuff, and he loves it.

Duplo blocks (okay, he likes Lego too), or any sort of snap together block

Crayons and paper

Small cars that get stored in a little plastic pencil case

Swing and slide and anything he can climb

Photographs and paintings of babies. (I found him carrying around the Thomas Cole print I used for picture study with the big kids the other day, pointing out the baby, daddy, etc.)

Any sort of "guy" -- little people figures, etc.

One of my toddlers realllllly liked his tiny backpack for carrying around his little treasures.

My almost-3 loves Duplos, Mr. Potato Head, and wooden trains. Mostly because these are things that have a bajillion pieces and can be destroyed, rebuilt by Mama, and then destroyed again, repeat.

!!! Something we don't have -- Mr. Potato Head! Gotta get that for DS4 for Christmas! He loves pointing out body parts.

DS will be 2 yo in late October.

His favorite toys are wooden trains, a push toy, cars, and wooden blocks to make ramps and tunnels for his trains.

Did I mention trains?

Currently trains are a big hit here.  :)  Particularly when mama doesn't work in the kitchen or do laundry or tidy up but instead sits on the floor beside DS and watches him push the train around the track.  Heaven forbid mama tries to push the train herself.  NO!  Mama is just there to quietly watch.

• Like 3

My two year old loves getting into the knife block, but I don't think that's what you're asking for :o

Baby strollers are a huge hit here, as are baby shopping carts. Anything that can be loaded up and toted around.

Boy or girl?

My oldest son's favorite thing at age 2 was his Thomas train table and set.  He could play for hours and hours and hours.  I cried when I sold it and honestly wish I hadn't now.  At least not the trains and tracks.  

In fact, he liked it so much that when we went out to places like toys r us, he would head back to the train table there and play with the exact same one he had at home.

Middle son liked Thomas but wasn't nearly as obsessed.

When dd was 2 her favorite things were Mr. Potato Head, books, a toy duck that quacked incessantly, Magnatiles, and a latch board that daddy made out of a piece of play wood. He put a variety of different hinges, fasteners, and padlocks, and she played with it forever.

We also gave her a small bucket of different sized bolts and nuts for her to sort and match/screw together based on size. One of the best gifts ever. Hours of entertainment, fine motor,and fun:)

My two year old loves getting into the knife block, but I don't think that's what you're asking for :o

Baby strollers are a huge hit here, as are baby shopping carts. Anything that can be loaded up and toted around.

That reminds me, the Velcro fruits and veggies with a little knife to cut them was a hit at 2.

My 2.5 yo LOVES his Thomas trains and track (We just have a very simple track, for now.  I foresee some additions this Christmas/birthday.)

His airplanes go everywhere with him; these are two old matchbox airplanes of my brother's, so 30-ish years old?

Bristle blocks!!  Duplos frustrate him and wooden blocks are best for mama to build and him to knock down, but he can build (fast airplanes) and destroy all by himself with the bristle blocks.

Books, books, books!  Current favorites are Duck and Goose by Tad Hill, Hippopposites, and anything by Matthew Van Fleet

My youngest turns two in a couple of months.  I've started birthday shopping for her.  Right now she loves a small backpack that she can carry a couple of books or toys in.  She likes Lego Duplos, Little People, play food, balls, sand/water toys.  She LOVES books, in particular Sandra Boynton books, Brown Bear Brown Bear, Duck and Goose and Where's Spot?

My in laws bought this for B when he turned 1. 
http://www.amazon.com/Kidoozie-Super-Shapes-Dump-Truck/dp/B0006N8YTU

One year later it is still his favorite toy (if you discount ride-on toys.) It is very sturdy and he sits on it and pushes it around. It makes lots of noise, it's a shape sorter, AND the shapes turn into little animals. Now he sees what kind of things he can fit in the holes and then dumps them out on the floor. It is well made and he'll be playing with it for a long time yet. 

Or a cozy coupe. :) I didn't get one with DD because we really don't have anywhere to use it, but DS is so obsessed with them that we got him one. He rides it on our tiny back patio. He would live in there if he could get meals delivered. 

We also have several dozen of the little magnetic die-cast metal thomas the trains. He's too little to care about the tracks yet really, but he loves linking the trains together in different configurations and I always have a half dozen in my purse because they are the ideal out and about toy. Each is only 1.5-2 inches long. They're pricey, but I got all ours off craigslist for nothing. They're like these http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Thomas-Train-Take-n-Play-Gordon/dp/B002YQU0MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440975244&sr=8-1&keywords=magnetic+die+cast+thomas&pebp=1440975254856&perid=1FJAHS1G6MHTZHZAAVAK

Hmm...He also has a tiny baby doll from Target that every family we know seems to own and love. The hat comes on and off but is attached with a string. He always wants to be carrying a little bitty bag (DD gets mad he always steals her purses :)) or his tiny toddler backpack. The mentioned toys and his crayons are basically all he plays with. Oh, and change. The child is totally obsessed with coins. 

Or a cozy coupe. :) I didn't get one with DD because we really don't have anywhere to use it, but DS is so obsessed with them that we got him one. He rides it on our tiny back patio. He would live in there if he could get meals delivered. 

Cozy couple was a huge hit at our house! My oldest played firefighter in it all the time.

• 2 weeks later...