Menu

Texasmama, you were right.

Truscifi

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wore my Keens to Disneyland a few weeks ago. I had also taken Merrells and Tevas, as well, because in the past it seemed to help to wear different shoes each day (we were there for three days), and my Merrells and Tevas are my go-to shoes for being on my feet all day. But I wore my Keens the first day...and the second...and the third...they were awesome.

• Like 3

You have made my entire day, week, month, year!  Because (as dh will tell you) I LOVE being right!

:D

P.S.  So glad you love your Keens.   :D

P.P.S.  So glad I was right.  YESSSSSSS!

Actually, I think Ahnu's may be better.

Sorry, Tex.

#notreallysorry

• Like 2

Keens do not replace Birkenstocks. You need both! I wear Keens for Big Events--all-day, outdoor outings. Disneyland/world. Soccer tournaments. National parks. Anything in water (eg Zion National Park river wading). These are just the basic Keens sandals. The biggest disadvantage is that they are hard to get on. And they leave funny tan lines. But they are amazingly comfortable and one of the few shoes I could wear during my Year of Plantar Fasciitis (2012).

Birkenstocks are my everyday shoes, especially around the house. I used to be a barefoot in the house person, but not since the YoPF. The arch support is perfect. And they are super easy to slip on and off. So you need both, Keens and Birks. And yes, both are expensive, but they last for years. I bought both during my YoPF when I didn't care how much it cost, I needed something that would help my painful feet.

• Like 4

You guys are trying to make my eyes all wiggly again with the hashtag thing.  My old eyes need spaces.  

You'll get used to them. :) Did you know there are languages (e.g. Thai) that use spaces as periods, and don't have any separations between individual words?

• Like 4

I love my keens!  I bought these last year before we moved to DC, knowing we would be doing lots of walking.  

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/women/rose-sandal/aluminum!neutral%20gray

I wore them all over the place last summer - walking walking walking...  They are very comfortable.   Nice arch support, and a little bit squishy - not a hard footbed.  I just got back from a week in Denmark, and again, wore these every day.  We did a HUGE amount of walking, and even a little jogging.  I like that I can wear them with pants and with skirts (not for a fancy dress, but okay for a simple summer skirt or dress)

I'm thinking about buying them in green!

Happy feet!!

• Like 1

You'll get used to them. :) Did you know there are languages (e.g. Thai) that use spaces as periods, and don't have any separations between individual words?

I read and write Japanese which does not have spaces between words but English is not a syllabic language but is an alphabetic language and needs spaces.  

But. . . .  this is a rabbit trail.

I'll let "TM" have her ten minutes of fame.  And I'll google Keens and the other one with a funny name that JoJosmom mentioned.

• Like 3

I have some Ahnu hiking shoes, but for me they aren't as comfortable as keens or birks. They have built in support but it hits my feet in slightly the wrong place. Not enough to notice when I was trying them on, but enough to make me happy when I take them off after wearing them a few hours.

Oh no. You guys! I've just fallen in love with a $110 pair of sandals thanks to you. I don't think my entire summer wardrobe cost $110!!! DH won't allow Birks in the house, and I think I have some plantar fasciitis starting up, so I need some reliable summer shoes that cost more than $2.50 and don't come from Old Navy.

Uuuuuggghhhhh...

Keens do not replace Birkenstocks. You need both! I wear Keens for Big Events--all-day, outdoor outings. Disneyland/world. Soccer tournaments. National parks. Anything in water (eg Zion National Park river wading). These are just the basic Keens sandals. The biggest disadvantage is that they are hard to get on. And they leave funny tan lines. But they are amazingly comfortable and one of the few shoes I could wear during my Year of Plantar Fasciitis (2012).

Birkenstocks are my everyday shoes, especially around the house. I used to be a barefoot in the house person, but not since the YoPF. The arch support is perfect. And they are super easy to slip on and off. So you need both, Keens and Birks. And yes, both are expensive, but they last for years. I bought both during my YoPF when I didn't care how much it cost, I needed something that would help my painful feet.

I rarely wear closed shoes and I like shoes that can easily slip on and off, so that would be a disadvantage. Still, if I'll be walking all day I'm not likely to take my shoes off anyway. I'm going to be near Cocoa Beach tomorrow and there's a place there that sells Keens. I might just have to take a look.

My Birkenstocks are also my everyday shoes as well as "house slippers". I have not been able to go barefoot in the house ever since we put in tile flooring. It's bad for my back as well as my feet. I wear the Birkenstocks around the house but also wear them out and about. My first pair was Arizona, and lasted 10 years. The pair I have now is Granada.

I used to balk at the cost of shoes like these but, 1. When they relieve pain and prevent it from coming back, they're totally worth the higher prices. 2. If I consider how long they last they really aren't expensive. My Birks that lasted 10 years basically cost $1 a year.

• Like 2

OK - do these shoes give as much support as my New Balance athletic shoes?  

Jean, I bought Birkenstocks on the recommendation of my podiatrist. I had plantar fasciitis and he told me I needed to wear shoes with support. I pulled a long face and said I hate closed shoes and that I wish there was a such thing as sandals that offered support. That was when he said I should get Birkenstocks. It was 10 years ago, and they're no longer the only sandals that give support. I also know people who wear their closed shoes and swear by them, but I can't say anything about them since I've never tried a pair. 

I do love my New Balance shoes (recommended by the same podiatrist) for when I have to wear closed but not dressy shoes.

• Like 1

I'm a Birkenstock girl myself. Due in large part because my FIL is a shoe repair guy who had a repair contract with them. He made me my first pair for free with leftover pieces he had in his shop. He got me my 2nd pair for basically nothing when our local distributor closed his store. I tend to go for shoes that I can have repaired for free. If I didn't have that option (or wasn't so cheap :-p) I may be more open to other options.

OK - do these shoes give as much support as my New Balance athletic shoes?  

Jean - 

I think keens are good for daily wear, but not for a concentrated walk or workout.  Though I have keen sandals and have really walked in them, I do not put them on in the morning for my workout - I wear my Saucony running shoes for running or power-walking or aerobics, etc.  I mow the lawn in my old running shoes.  

But I have worn my keen sandals for walking miles!  Seriously!  I tracked one day of walking in downtown Copenhagen and we walked more than 6 miles!  And my feet felt fine. And that wasn't even our longest day of waling... I was exhausted, but I didn't have any foot problems.  In the past I have had trouble with planters fasciitis, and I occasionally have trouble with shin splints or rubbing blisters, but I did not experience any of those things while walking miles over cobblestone.  I still would plan to wear my running shoes for a workout, though. 

• Like 3

I love my keens too. I have 3 keen sandals-one blue classic style, one black different style, and one black slip on. I also have keen winter boots, keen tennis shoes, and keen brown leather dress casual shoes. The only shoes I have that are not keens are crocs one pair of slip on for around the house as I cannot go barefoot without pain, and one pair of ballet flats for when the keens are just not nice enough (they hurt my feet though). Now before you all start adding the $$$ on all those keens, I have very small feet and find them easily for cheap because they are on clearance. Look at Nordstrom Rack, costco (my black sandals came from costco for $60), amazon sometimes has a good deal when they only have one size left, and of course resale shops. Most keen styles are great for people who may need a wider toe box (like me) but not necessarily a wide shoe (I have narrow ankles). Some keen styles are too narrow for my feet, so make sure you try them on somewhere in the style you like or read reviews for peoples comments on the fit before buying online.

• Like 1

Any links to the particular Keen sandal? Pretty Please:)

Well this thread is timely. The last week my left foot has started hurting and I'm suspecting plantar fasciitis. I have high arches and probably need more support. I know my mom got to where she couldn't walk barefoot for long because she needed the arch support.

I've been researching shoes and insoles trying to find something to help me out.

So what do I need? ☺

• Like 1

Oh no. You guys! I've just fallen in love with a $110 pair of sandals thanks to you. I don't think my entire summer wardrobe cost $110!!! DH won't allow Birks in the house, and I think I have some plantar fasciitis starting up, so I need some reliable summer shoes that cost more than $2.50 and don't come from Old Navy.

Uuuuuggghhhhh...

I got my Keens extremely lightly used on ebay for $35 shipped.  You can wash them.

What's up with your dh not allowing Birks?  I don't get it.

I wear a LOT of Old Navy flip flops during the summer, but I got the Keens to walk through four states last summer during our 11 day trip.

Uuuuuggghhhhh...

What's wrong with Birks in the house???  I am just deeply disturbed by this...

• Like 1

I got my Keens extremely lightly used on ebay for $35 shipped.  You can wash them.

What's up with your dh not allowing Birks?  I don't get it.

I wear a LOT of Old Navy flip flops during the summer, but I got the Keens to walk through four states last summer during our 11 day trip.

Oh, I never thought of that! Maybe when I figure out what sizes fit me, I'll try that. Thanks! In the meantime, I found the sandals in a different (plainer) color on Amazon for $78 instead  :hurray:

He just really, really hates the way they look. He can accept that I've evolved into a crunchy granola hippie over the years, and he never really puts his foot down about anything. He has, however, put his foot down about Birks and having chickens. 

This is the first summer the ON flip flops aren't cutting it. It's possible that if I deal with what I think is burgeoning PF and get any inflammation under control, I could go back to them eventually. But my heels ache all the time now :( I'm really a barefoot kinda gal, but it's not doing me any favors. I just don't see how I'll be able to stand wearing shoes in the house! Blech.