Menu

Asking for food assistance-jawm

I'm sorry you're struggling right now and I hope you and your family can use the assistance short term and get to a better place financially in the long run. I can imagine how beat down this must make you feel :(

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

I'm sorry. Sometimes I think those who make such rules, and often the people who work in the offices really and truly don't know how difficult it can be for the ones who need help. There's an assumption that everyone can take a day off or everyone has a printer, or internet access (and a computer obviously) at home. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry that times are so hard for your family right now and the process is so hard. Do you have any food banks in your area?

Yes there are. And if I absolutely needed to go I would. But it's hard. It's such a small place and people talk. Even people that shouldn't. They take your name and information at the bank and all workers have access to that information and many of these people like to talk (not viciously. I think many are older and don't realize that others may not want their need for help publicized)

Perhaps the food banks have hours that fit into your schedule. They are generally supportive places with friendly volunteers so you won't be made to suffer from any bureaucratic foolishness.  Along with the food assistance, the extra from the food bank may help just enough so that you don't feel so stressed by the end of the month. I hope your garden is bountiful and that you have or can borrow the things you need to can or freeze your surplus for the winter months. Don't be down on yourself. You and working very hard for your family. The food prices have been going up at what seems an incredible rate ever since gasoline was over the four dollar mark eight or so years ago. Pay rates haven't really kept up. It is a real challenge, and you are making great choices (even though some of them involve jumping through frustrating hoops). I am sure you already are an expert at stretching a dollar, but in case someone reading this thread is not, I include a link to my favorite money management book, The Complete Tightwad Gazette, which should be obtainable through your local library. The numbers in the book (and her opinions on technology) are dated (written in the '90s), but the strategies and wisdom are timeless. Plus it is easy to read and funny.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Tightwad-Gazette-Amy-Dacyczyn/dp/0375752250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432066823&sr=8-1&keywords=The+complete+tightwad+gazette

edited to add: I live in a very gossipy small town too. Think only of your family and do not worry about idle chatter. They are probably not mean spirited, just bored. Every thing spreads like wildfire here, and yet people are still friends and still work together. Otherwise drive to the next nearest food pantry!

I'm sorry. We went through that when dh was unemployed and it wasn't easy, to say the least. One thing I would advise is to make sure you know your rights in regard to applying for assistance. I've had social services employees outright lie to me to make their jobs easier.

• Like 2

:grouphug:

My local WIC agency is open Monday to Friday 8am-5pm with staff on hand to help with applications. I didn't realize other places might not have it so convenient.

We drop by the WIC agency when we first came to the states. We don't qualify for WIC but the lady there could help us with the paperwork if we did.

Do you have a local Freecycle? We have people giving away food on ours all the time. Some people won't eat canned goods that are over their "best by" date so they give them away. Some have been gifted foods they can't or won't eat. Some have decided on a new diet and give away foods they no longer eat. We've done this. We gave unopened food to the food bank, but opened food (large bag of oatmeal, most of a bottle of oil, 3 sticks of butter, etc), which is not taken by the food bank, we were able to give to free cyclers.

• Like 2

I'm sorry it's so difficult.  There is a method to the madness, but you kind of have to "know" it. 

I'm not sure where you are located, but I'd be glad to offer any assistance that I can.  I'm in Texas, but I think the food stamp program works fairly similarly across states.  I was a food stamp caseworker for a very long time and I am currently a food stamp educator for our local workforce commission. 

Have you tried calling and setting up your appointment at a more convenient time?  Do you have a spouse, significant other, or other trusted adult who can handle the appointment for you?  You should be able to set up an authorized representative to conduct business in your absence if necessary. 

Also the resource limit for food stamps is pretty high, that question about your bank account isn't meant to trip you up, it's a legislative requirement.  Your answer, if under the specific guidelines, does not affect your benefit amount. 

Also, once you get it set up, you should only have to re-certify every six months.  If your family needs the assistance, it is worth the effort to "play the game" a couple of times a year so that you can provide food to your family.  

I'm so sorry it has to be this way.  PM me if you need more info/support. 

• Like 9

(((HUGS)))

I agree with you about everything.  I would try the WIC procedure again.  With today's prices, the milk, fresh fruits/veggies, and cheese would be worth the hassle I think.  Is it possible to go to a different county with better hours?  

ETA:  When we received WIC years ago after my first was born, my husband could even go and sign to pick up the vouchers.  Is that an option for you?

Check if local churches have food pantries or similar. Contact the welfare office and tell them you need to reschedule your phone interview (if you have not done it already).

Is there someone who has time to cultivate a garden and could you provide some kind of service for them in exchange for veggies? For example if your dh is good with cars or a handyman fixing things? Can you sew, make alterations or babysit?

Long term: Are there opportunities in your jobs to get promoted / move up the wages or salary ladder? If not, would it be helpful to get a certificate from a community college in an area where the potential for acquiring better paying positions is greater? Would moving to a different area possibly solve some problems?

Just throwing some things out there for pondering. :grouphug: :grouphug:  Financial upheaval is likely one of the most stressful life situations, especially when the food budget is tight.

It seems as if these systems cater to those who don't work at all and not those who are actually trying.

I would also call said agencies to see if you can reschedule the appointments.

We only qualify for WIC now, it helps out a lot with just milk and fruits and veggies.

• Like 1

I receive food assistance. Their procedures are batty, but most of the people I've talked to have been kind. One of the issues I had was there was a listed number to call for questions. It was a direct line to the office. They picked up and told me I couldn't talk to them via that number, I had to call the 800# and leave a message and they would return my call. I asked why in world they listed the phone number on the form if I wasn't allowed to use it. They didn't make me call back. 

If their interview time is not convenient, do call and leave a message letting them know what times work better. I always make a copy of what I'm submitting, so when I do the interview I have all the information. Mine gets wonky because I live off student aid, which is like getting a paycheck two-three times a YEAR. 

They have funky rules for college students - even those with children. Ds qualifies for aid, I don't because I don't work at least 20 hours a week. If I worked 20 hours a week, we'd get more money, but then my grades would tank as I'd have no time to study. We'll probably lose our aid when ds starts school because I don't want him working his first year of college either (he's a slow student). We'll be okay, but it will be tight.

So, yes, I agree the system is frustrating, but it is nice to go to the store and actually buy groceries and not end up in tears because you can't buy enough to last until the next time you get money. 

<hugs>

The hoop jumping necessary to receive any kind of assistance is a time consuming job itself. It is not an easy process, especially if you work already.

The majority of SNAP recipients are working.

I'm in a different state, but I just went in and applied for SNAP in person. I took all possible paperwork when I went. I had to wait but they were able to do my interview at the same time. You might be able to do that on your day off.

• Like 4

A comment about SNAP and farmers markets--many participate in the "Double Up" program, which gives you twice as much produce for your SNAP benefits.  You spent $5 on your card and get $10 worth of produce, for example.

You can read more about the program here:  http://www.doubleupfoodbucks.org/about/

Click on the FIND A LOCATION box to see if there's a market near you.  It's a HUGE benefit to get healthy food at half the cost.

Last year, someone here shared a wonderful resource, a free PDF cookbook, "Good Food on a Food Stamp Budget."  The recipes looked tasty, healthy, and inexpensive.  http://www.leannebrown.ca/good-and-cheap.pdf

Hope these are helpful to someone.

• Like 2

Rice and beans can be pretty cheap.

Bountiful baskets is a good deal sometimes.

My grocery bill is cut in half when I stick to shopping at Aldi's.

Can you drive an hour away to a larger town's food bank?

Does your church have any assistance?

Does anyone in your family have a large pantry and like to give stuff away?  I know we can't visit the grandparents without baskets of home-canned food, mostly expensive items like beef and salmon.

Said a prayer that people will spontaneously bring you extra food just to share, with no reason.

In Texas, the first time you apply is the toughest with an in-person interview.  After that, many of the interviews are conducted over the phone and supporting materials faxed or mailed.  I've had friends go through the process.   Let the social workers know about the conflict with the interview time.  Maybe they can reschedule.  Hang in there!   Praying for you and your family.

WIC really made a difference for us when DS3 was born.  We also got vouchers to use at Farmer's Markets during the summer, which was great.  I would call and see if they can arrange to meet with you a different time, if that's an option.

:grouphug:

It was so hard to go apply, but we needed the help.  It really did make such a difference. I am very grateful for programs like that.

Don't forget about the Federal Summer Lunch program. There will be a public school in your area that will feed all children ages 1-18 every weekday in the summer. There is no income requirement and the children do not need to be public school kids.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks

ETA: I see the finder does not work yet. Look on the website of your local PS district for location information. Ours is called Summer Lunch Bunch.

• Like 3

There are some amazingly awesome programs that you all have listed. I truly hope that there are some that find them helpful! none of these programs are available where I live. Rural America remains untouched by nearly all of these programs, or at least my corner of rural America.

There are some amazingly awesome programs that you all have listed. I truly hope that there are some that find them helpful! none of these programs are available where I live. Rural America remains untouched by nearly all of these programs, or at least my corner of rural America.

Even if you think it is not available, please do check on your local school district website for the summer lunch program. I think it is required in ALL school districts that participate in the federal lunch program. I really hope your does!

Even if you think it is not available, please do check on your local school district website for the summer lunch program. I think it is required in ALL school districts that participate in the federal lunch program. I really hope your does!

There really is not one here. our local school closed nine days early this year because of lack of funds. the school is closed permanently as of this year. the next school is 25 miles away. Last summer they partnered with many of the local churches to offer free lunch, But at the conclusion of the program only three kids were coming each day and it was decided not to repeat the program. it also costs me eight dollars every time I go to town, for that price I can feed everyone at home :-).

(I'm not arguing. Hope it doesn't come across as me being stubborn)

• Like 2