Menu

What's the WORST book you've read all the way through?

PeachyDoodle

Forgive me, but I read Little House on the Prairie for the first time this week and it was lovely.. until the end. Why did they pack up and go? Why didn't they take the cows? Wait a few weeks to see if the soldiers were really coming? Why didn't Pa take the window glass? Who the heck does that, just decides to move and leaves the next morning? I realize this was a memoir from when the author was a child but good grief. I'm just so mad at Pa right now.

I am going to the museum in Walnut Grove, MN next month and will ask them. :D
  • Like 5

I refused to read the last book in the Divergent series.  I had seen a teaser about how it ended, so I looked up some reviews and I refused to read it after that.

You don't know how lucky you are. Like, go out and buy a lottery ticket this afternoon lucky.

(Can I start my rant about the publishing industry?)

I, for one, am always up for a good rant. Rant away!

Do plays I read count? If so:

Waiting for Godot

I say yes! it counts... and and even bigger YES! you're right -- horrible book.

• Like 1

This thread is hilarious. Someone mentioned The Historian, I really hated that too.

In terms of school books, I'll second Moby Dick and The Death of Ivan Illych and add Heart of Darkness and Death of a Salesman. BUT... I think it's harder to judge these things when you read them for school and the assignments and teacher are all tied up with the book. I know now that the way Heart of Darkness was taught to me was all wrong. It's an illustration of how not to teach a book, IMHO. And that I suspect that if I reread Death of a Salesman at this point in life it would feel really different to me. It's a stupid choice for teenagers.

• Like 2

My aunt self-published a mystery novel that I cringed my way through. It was pretty terrible. The writing style, the plot, the characters... But I read it and tried to find something positive to say about it when she asked me what I thought.

• Like 1

I don't normally continuing reading a book I hate. I just stop. The only exception for me was "The Goldfinch" but that was because I kept reading, expecting it to get better, but then I had read so much of it, I just needed to finish it. It was horrible.

I loved "Waiting for Godot" and "Death of a Salesman." I read them in one of my favorite classes in college (plays as literature or something like that).

• Like 2

My aunt self-published a mystery novel that I cringed my way through. It was pretty terrible. The writing style, the plot, the characters... But I read it and tried to find something positive to say about it when she asked me what I thought.

My former uncle (he and my aunt divorced) asked me if I'd edit his book. I reluctantly told him I'd take a look at it. It was more of a collection of stream of consciousness ramblings than a book. Some of the weirdest stuff I've ever read. I declined to take on such a project as politely as I could...and then he cut off all contact. It makes me sad at times and mad at other times, but at least I don't have to read any more of his "books."

• Like 3

I don't read a lot of modern fiction--like, nearly NONE--but I read a bunch when we were in Israel because there was little else to do in the down time.

Jodi Picoult makes me feel itchy and impatient--I've never gotten through a whole book without flipping to the ending. It's gotten so bad I now pick them up from the library shelf, read the flyleaf (the inside cover) and spend ten minutes reading the ending. Bad, I know.

Why didn't you all like The Lovely Bones?

the fiction about building a cathedral. Cathedral?  Hate to google it. lol It was a big fat book about something that could have been fascinating, but the author didn't deliver. I read it through because I kept thinking/hoping there was something to it. There wasn't. Good thing I am a fast reader. I didn't waste too much time.

I've not read many of the books people don't like.  And others listed I love.

The Great Gatsby.  Unfortunately, I have had the displeasure of having to read that book about 4 times.  I hate that book.  Hate is not a strong enough word.  I really don't like the author's style of writing in general either because I tried another one of his books and hated that one too.

My 11th grade English teacher made me write my term paper on F. Scott Fitzgerald.  I read Gatsby to have a taste of his writings, along with biographies etc.  I didn't like it.  However, I should have pretended to like it, because the teacher was very hard on me in the grading.  :P  I had 50 footnotes and she took off 2% every time I made a certain "error" in the footnotes.  (I had asked her if it was OK to do xyz and she said "you must," so I did, and then she said it was wrong.  Hmm.  I smell bias.)

I LOVE these kind of posts!  I see some that I really enjoyed on these lists (Poisonwood Bible, Cutting For Stone), but then I see so many that I've thought about picking up because it seems everyone is reading or has read them, and that's cementing my idea to just stay away.  

The first book that pops in my head as a worst book was Mendel's Dwarf by Simon Mawer.   :thumbdown:  The only reason I read it all the way through was because it was for a book club.  Disturbing, disgusting, and something I wish I could have scrubbed from my brain.

A close second would be The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl, which I read years ago, but was such a disappointment.  I'd read the author's first novel, The Dante Club, and was so mesmerized by it that I couldn't wait to read a second book by him.  Blech.  No real plot ever surfaced and it was 300 some pages of drudgery. 

Oh, almost forgot April Rising.  Which was so forgettable I couldn't even begin to think who the author was.  I do remember it was so bad that it was published under two completely different titles, and I think both of them are now OOP.

the fiction about building a cathedral. Cathedral? Hate to google it. lol It was a big fat book about something that could have been fascinating, but the author didn't deliver. I read it through because I kept thinking/hoping there was something to it. There wasn't. Good thing I am a fast reader. I didn't waste too much time.

I've not read many of the books people don't like. And others listed I love.

Pillars of the Earth

Someone mentioned it up thread, so you're not alone, but I loved it. It gave me a new appreciation for the tenuousness of success.

• Like 3

I have started and dropped a great number of these books. Now I'm glad I didn't waste my time. 

I did really, really hate Lord of the Flies. That was for high school and I still get icky when I think about it. 

Forgive me, but I read Little House on the Prairie for the first time this week and it was lovely.. until the end. Why did they pack up and go? Why didn't they take the cows? Wait a few weeks to see if the soldiers were really coming? Why didn't Pa take the window glass? Who the heck does that, just decides to move and leaves the next morning? I realize this was a memoir from when the author was a child but good grief. I'm just so mad at Pa right now. 

Can't remember if I liked or disliked Lord of the Flies in high school but I just re-read it a few years ago since ds had it assigned to him and I found I really enjoyed it this time.

As for Little House, I seem to recall something about them being there illegally and that's why they had to move? I hope someone who knows for sure will chime in with the answer.

Tomorrow when the War Began by John Marsden. DS and I struggled through it for book club (I lead the book club). It was horrible: unrealistic, poorly written, stereotypic characterisations, patronising, had all the teenagers obsessed with sex while the world was coming to an end. Horrible, just horrible. One of the kids suggested it, and all the other kids LOVED it......

• Like 1

Tomorrow when the War Began by John Marsden. DS and I struggled through it for book club (I lead the book club). It was horrible: unrealistic, poorly written, stereotypic characterisations, patronising, had all the teenagers obsessed with sex while the world was coming to an end. Horrible, just horrible. One of the kids suggested it, and all the other kids LOVED it......

I *totally* agree with you.  It was sooooo slow-paced with way too many details about irrelevant things.  I can't imagine plodding through the several sequels.

• Like 1

Can't remember if I liked or disliked Lord of the Flies in high school but I just re-read it a few years ago since ds had it assigned to him and I found I really enjoyed it this time.

As for Little House, I seem to recall something about them being there illegally and that's why they had to move? I hope someone who knows for sure will chime in with the answer.

Yes, they were just a few miles over the line, so they decided to leave instead of waiting for the soldiers to move them.

(And I LOVE LotF!! I was really into the whole comparison between the Noble Savage and Civilization is Good ideas, so we compared a bunch of books about each side.)

• Like 1

It's strange that you would come to despise him, as he's completely detestable, selfish, and cowardly at the beginning of the story but grows a lot and redeems himself as the book goes on.

Re: Kite Runner

:laugh: That is what some of my friends said. I kept waiting for him to grow up and see beyond himself but he just never did.  I think one of the things that made it memorable was my friends saying 'he gets better' and me saying 'no, he really doesn't'.    :glare:

Still, many many people love that book, so there must be something there.   :confused:

Oh! The Land of Painted Caves! The last book of the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I'd thought Shelters of Stone was pretty disappointing for a long-awaited sequel, but Painted Caves... For one, you could have removed the whole first half of the book and not lost any of the actual story, and then the story that was there was a repeat of previous plot lines from the series, just change the location and some characters.

Such a horrible end to a dragged-out series.

• Like 3

The two that come to mind were from high school: Silas Marner and All the Pretty Horses. I've no clue what I'd think about them today.

Every page of All The Pretty Horses was a mixed thing for me - the joy of reading it, and the pain of knowing I could never read it again for the first time.

It's so interesting to me how books I absolutely love (Anna Karenina, Watership Down, All the Pretty Horses) are so despised by others!

• Like 1

the fiction about building a cathedral. Cathedral?  Hate to google it. lol It was a big fat book about something that could have been fascinating, but the author didn't deliver. I read it through because I kept thinking/hoping there was something to it. There wasn't. Good thing I am a fast reader. I didn't waste too much time.

I've not read many of the books people don't like.  And others listed I love.

oh, I think you're talking about "Pillars of the Earth".  I hated that  book too.. just not as much as the my other two votes.  It was made into a Mini-series recently.  Ugh.  no way was I interested in watching that.

Cloud Atlas definitely.  I didn't get very far and thought maybe it was just my mood at the time.  I haven't tried again.

I refused to read the last book in the Divergent series.  I had seen a teaser about how it ended, so I looked up some reviews and I refused to read it after that.

I refused to read The Fault in Our Stars and Fifty Shades.  In general, I dislike extremely sad tragic books.  Jodi Picoult - read a couple of hers and HATED the endings.  My Sister's Keeper comes to mind.

I LOVE a bunch of the ones people hated - The Book Thief (probably wouldn't have picked it myself but it was for a book club), Hunger Games.

I *loved* that book.  But, I started by listening to the audio.  Then I just had to read it because I thought the prose was so beautiful. 

I read and then mostly skimmed Divergent.  I had hoped it would be better... but it wasn't.

Ya know, I kind of liked Twilight. Lol! One website called it an "old fashioned bodice ripper" which I thought Stephenie Meyer did well. The tension was there without bare flesh. Also in her second(?) book, I think she nailed how a young girl can feel distraught/lost when her first love leaves her. She was able to put into words similar feelings from when my first love dumped me. But, it was the usual. The first book in the series hooks you and then it goes down a steep hill. Pretty much forced myself to read the last book. Just freaking creepy and weird! My vote for worst book is Breaking Dawn.

I agree with this 100%. I read the first three but couldn't bring myself to finish the last book. They were all poorly written and had a terrible message, but the first one at least kind of sucked me in, in a junk food kind of way! :)

Re: Kite Runner

:laugh: That is what some of my friends said. I kept waiting for him to grow up and see beyond himself but he just never did. I think one of the things that made it memorable was my friends saying 'he gets better' and me saying 'no, he really doesn't'. :glare:

I completely disagree and don't see how you could think that. Oh, well. YMMV. :)

I can't fathom how anyone could hate *all* contemporary fiction either--that's taking book snobbery to a whole new level. This has been an eye-opening and at times baffling thread.

• Like 4

Oh! The Land of Painted Caves! The last book of the Clan of the Cave Bear series. I'd thought Shelters of Stone was pretty disappointing for a long-awaited sequel, but Painted Caves... For one, you could have removed the whole first half of the book and not lost any of the actual story, and then the story that was there was a repeat of previous plot lines from the series, just change the location and some characters.

I really enjoyed the first three books in that series. The fourth one was just so-so. The fifth one . . . when I was about 2/3 of the way through the book I realized only one day had gone by in the story and I had a hard time finishing it. When that last one came out, my s-i-l, who also loved the series, told me not to read it. She said it made her so mad that she wished she'd never read it, so she wanted to save me from the same fate! :) I took her advice.

I guess I just don't usually have the patience to continue with a book that I'm not enjoying. I read one sentence of The Hunger Games. That's by far the fastest I've ever given up on a book, but I wasn't interested in reading a book written in the present tense, so I ditched it. I can think of other books that I've given up on, but not ones that I finished but didn't like.

Oh, no wait, I got it! One that I read and despised and which everyone else on the planet apparently loves: Game of Thrones. I read the first three in that series, but didn't even finish the first chapter of the fourth one. The first book had some promise but some problems. I kept expecting the promise to be fulfilled and the problems to be solved. But the author had different plans. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, and judging by how popular and successful it is, I'm sure that I'm alone in my hatred. But I truly hate it. Hate it. There are good fantasy novels out there that deserved that level of success and didn't get it. Why that one. WHY??

Several people have mentioned The Red Tent and this came highly recommended to me by a friend. Now I must admit that while this friend has admirable qualities, I have reason to distrust her taste in books. :lol: But I'd like to know why this one is hated, if anyone would care to say more.

Yes, they were just a few miles over the line, so they decided to leave instead of waiting for the soldiers to move them.

(And I LOVE LotF!! I was really into the whole comparison between the Noble Savage and Civilization is Good ideas, so we compared a bunch of books about each side.)

Ok, now I have to read it again. After reading some other posts I'm wondering if it was the way it was taught. 

As to the Twilight series, I admit, ashamedly, that I liked the first one. It was easy, fluffy, silly teenaged romance. You just had to have the right expectations. However, they got worse as they went and I actually didn't realize there was a 4th one. Huh. 

If you didn't like Hunger Games, and only read the first one, know that they actually end really well - in a dystopic way. Spoiler - everybody dies, or if they don't die they're pretty much irrevocably damaged. Which sounds terrible but I really liked the way the author handled it. It was realistic. It made me think for days afterward. 

I didn't like Divergent, though. Since dd is 13 I have to read all these YA books and I've decided that all you really need to do to get published is follow the formula. Once you've read about six of them you realize they are all the same.

• Like 1

Several people have mentioned The Red Tent and this came highly recommended to me by a friend. Now I must admit that while this friend has admirable qualities, I have reason to distrust her taste in books. :lol: But I'd like to know why this one is hated, if anyone would care to say more.

I hated The Red Tent, but I didn't finish it so I didn't count it here. Everything was so overly sexualized. When they started in on Jacob having his way with the sheep I gave up. It felt really disrespectful to a story that could have been powerful. Maybe it redeemed itself - I only got through one chapter. 

• Like 2

I hated The Red Tent, but I didn't finish it so I didn't count it here. Everything was so overly sexualized. When they started in on Jacob having his way with the sheep I gave up. It felt really disrespectful to a story that could have been powerful. Maybe it redeemed itself - I only got through one chapter.

Well, that's . . . interesting. I can see why you gave up.

Of Mice and Men. Catcher in the Rye. Those were for school, though.

I tend to give up on books that I don't like, *unless* they are considered a classic and/or have rave reviews from friends.  Then I feel a certain obligation.  Like with My Antonia.  Oh my gosh, the woman had no personality so WHY does the narrator write a book about her?!  (I know it's also about the PLACE, but still.  I have trouble with novels where the setting is like a character of its own...I get very bored.)

That was the most disappointing book in the history of the universe.  I honestly think that she had a ghostwriter do it for her.

• Like 1

I despised it too and couldn't get through more than 100 pages. I felt so sorry that this poor girl was stuck in a tent listening to women's menstrual and birthing woes. And then I realized, 'she is stuck, but I am free! I don't have to listen to or read about other women's bodily processes. So yeah! I can put this down and stop reading.' And I did!

• Like 11

Cloud Atlas.  I thoroughly resent the hours lost to that book.

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt.  I kept hoping there would be something redeeming about it.  Nope.

I am sure there are others, but I tend to throw the books out if I hated them and then promptly redirect those brain cells to something useful.

I have loved other Donna Tartt books and I was so excited to get a copy of The Little Friend at the used book store....nope, nope, nope.  Terrible.

The 50 Shades of Grey (the first one only...so terrible I didn't finish the series.)

Anything by Jodi Picoult (my mom buys them and leaves them with me when she is done. I don't know why I continue to read them.)

The Little Friend - Donna Tartt - so disappointing.

The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling - HUGE disappointment.  I wasn't expecting Harry Potter but I was expecting something interesting.  And they made a TV show about it now!!!!

How to Read a Book by Adler. That was so incredibly boring I couldn't imagine inflicting it on my children.

I assign How to Read Literature Like a Professor instead.

Someone referenced that book as "The book that should have been written after reading 'How to Write a Book.'"

E

• Like 1

I can't believe I forgot to add "Gone, Girl" to my list. That has got to be the most vile thing I've read in years. It took me days to shake it off. And the ending!! I literally wanted to throw my iPad across the room. I was so glad I read it via Overdrive so I didn't spend any money on it.

• Like 1

It had so much potential. I *love* that genre. But no...

I am glad to know in not the only one unsatisfied by Inkheart. There was a time when admitting such a thing left one ducking tomatoes. I have always wondered what was lost in translation from German (?i think?) to English - maybe someone here read it in the original and can say it was better that way? Regentrude? Anyway, I thought the dad cowardly, none of the other characters admirable, and over the whole thing a tone of hopelessness.

Oh, no wait, I got it! One that I read and despised and which everyone else on the planet apparently loves: Game of Thrones. I read the first three in that series, but didn't even finish the first chapter of the fourth one.

I have checked the fourth book out from the library EIGHT times (we have four week loans, too) and I just cannot trudge through it. I even bought the cds last year to listen to when the kids are at taekwondo in the evenings, thinking that would help. Still not happening.

• Like 1

Lord of the Flies.

Twilight, the whole series.  It just kept getting worse, but I couldn't stop myself.  I kept assuming it would get better.

The old man and the sea.

Great Expectations.

No, it didn't redeem itself.  It got worse.  All the way to describing watchnig "working their s*x" and "spilling their seed" on the ground and breaking her hymen using an idol.  I read it for a book club.  It was awful.  I still have no idea how/why it was so popular.

• Like 2

I have checked the fourth book out from the library EIGHT times (we have four week loans, too) and I just cannot trudge through it. I even bought the cds last year to listen to when the kids are at taekwondo in the evenings, thinking that would help. Still not happening.

That fourth book definitely took a nosedive, didn't it? So much so that for me it ruined the entire series, because it hadn't been that great to begin with. But obviously most people still like it overall.

• Like 1

Someone referenced that book as "The book that should have been written after reading 'How to Write a Book.'"

E

Ha! I have to admit, that's another one that I did not finish.

This thread is starting to make me worry a bit about my attention span and ability to see things through. I have given up on a LOT of books!

Girl of the Limberlost.

There was also one called...Inkheart? Something like that. That was bad.

I also didn't care for Redwall.

Don't judge me. :001_tt2:

Wow, I loved Girl of the Limberlost. I bought it at about the age of 12 from a Yosemite gift shop and spent the next few days devouring it while the other kids camping played cards (we hiked and swam, too, but during the down time).

I made it through Inkheart because I was reading it in German and I was glad for the practice. 

I couldn't make it through The Neverending Story even though I was categorizing it as German practice. That was painful... 

Emily

I HATED Allegiant, the last book in the Divergent series. I'm still mad about it. I kept reading it thinking, "It's got to get better. It's got to pull through." And it. just. didn't.

I'm sure there are others, but it's the most recent one that I had such a virulent reaction to.

• Like 3

Man, I have read a lot of awful books.  What's up with that?

awful classics - 

Phantom of the Opera 

Old Man in the Sea - forced to read in 9th grade, and all that it accomplished was keeping me from reading Hemingway for the next 30 years.

Wuthering Heights

awful children's books - 

The Giving Tree

lots of books where animals suffer and die.  Hate 'em all.

The Shadow of the North - see above comment

awful fiction - 

The Kite Runner

The Sense of an Ending

Amsterdam

but I think the very worst book I ever read all the way through was In the Cut by Susanna Moore.  Horrible book.

OTOH, I absolutely adore a bunch of things mentioned in this thread: The Grapes of Wrath, The Age of Innocence, and The Great Gatsby are three of my all-time favorites.  Go figure!

• Like 2