Menu

How does breakfast work in your home?

jaderbee

Breakfast Poll  

153 members have voted

1. 1. How does breakfast work in your home?

• I make the kids' breakfast.
    • The kids make their own breakfasts (comment with age(s) and how this works please).
    • We don't eat breakfast. (please comment with what you do instead)
    • Little fairies prepare breakfast for us every morning. (Please send them to my house)
    • Other (please elaborate)

I cooked/prepared breakfast and we ate together.

In my home, children who ate a few bites and then tossed their food, and moaned about starvation at 9:30, would have been busted. Actually, tossing their food would have resulted in their being busted.

Allowing your dc to "take ownership of breakfast" won't solve the underlying problem: they have developed bad habits, not the least of which is being disrespectful of you.

I'm with you.

"Tossing" food is not OK in my house.  

I make the breakfast most mornings although both dh or dd do make breakfast when I cannot.  I have a pretty good idea of what everyone likes and how much so if someone cannot (or does not want to) finish their food, that is usually a sign that someone is getting sick.  We eat pretty early so that we can eat together and dh can get to work.  If that was too early for anyone, I would be happy to make them a plate/bowl to warm up later.  I would ask that everyone sit for the meal anyway if only to catch up and drink tea.

Since tossing food has never been OK, all family members are encouraged to let me know if they don't like something I make or if they would like more or less.  I do not cook meals that I know someone does not like (unless I know they will not be home for that meal).  I tend to plate the food and bring to the table because it works best in the flow of my kitchen, but if I had a kid that habitually could not finish what I served, I would ask them to plate their own food and only take what they plan to eat.  I usually plate less than people want so everyone is welcome to take seconds (and thirds).  

We do not snack between breakfast and lunch so anyone that "tossed" their breakfast would just have to wait.

Can their breakfast be saved and heated later or is it cereal or something that does not keep well?

• Like 1

I make enough breakfast every Sunday to cover the weekdays, and DS heats up a portion every morning.  If he wants toast in addition, he can make that, as well as getting his own cottage cheese/milk/yogurt/cheese.  Weekends he usually eats Cheerios.

I try to give him fruit about an hour after breakfast.  Today he had that and then after another hour I brought him some cheese cubes.  He was delighted. :)

I taught him years ago to make scrambled eggs, but he hasn't done it enough for it to be automatic yet, and right now we all find it easier to go with the plan already in place.  I think over the summer I'll try to ramp up his cooking a bit.  I sure wish he would start to like boiled eggs!

Tossing food - and then moaning! - would drive me 'round the bend.  Schedule-wise, I can't allow him to defer breakfast until later in the morning, so he has to eat very soon after he gets up - but it definitely sounds like delaying the meal might work for you, Jaderbee.

I am not a morning person either, so I make breakfast the night before and microwave it in the morning.

ds eats breakfast while I read to him. Sometimes we move to the table as soon as he wakes up and other times not until he's been snuggling in bed for awhile.

We don't throw away edible food. If he isn't hungry, it goes in the refrigerator for lunch or a midmorning snack.

DS6 and DS8 aren't allowed out of bed until 7:00... between the equinoxes, DS8 often wakes up between 6:15 and 6:30 and reads.

Between 7:30 and 8, I make breakfast. The boys each have 3 eggs over easy with 6 or 7 tortilla chips to dip in the yolk and a small "sausage" patty(actually just ground pork) and a cup of 1 part cranapple juice/3 parts water.

DS6 is going to B&M school and doesn't tend to eat much lunch, so he needs something to tide him over to his afternoon snack and dinner. A large breakfast keeps DS8 from snacking in the morning... he may have a few pieces of raw cauliflower mid morning but otherwise is good 'til lunch.

ETA: This Summer I want to start teaching DS8 to scramble and fry eggs so in a couple years he can run this show on his own... it would be so much easier with cereal or oatmeal but those just don't work for us.

I don't cook.  Period.  So my kids make most all of their own food.  As for breakfast, it takes me about 3 hours to get hungry in the mornings, so I usually don't eat until lunch, or I'll eat something small around ten.  The kids eat whenever they get hungry and will usually make themselves cereal, oatmeal, bagels, toast, sausage biscuits, etc.  They also always have fruit and milk with it.  Sometimes they're not hungry and don't eat breakfast, which is fine with me, too.  Meals are a lot easier when I just leave it up to them to eat when they're hungry and fix what they want (within reason, of course).

• Like 1

My kids are like me in that they don't really wake up hungry. So first breakfast is light, mostly carbs, warm beverages, fend for yourself. Lunch comes early.

When they were younger, second breakfast would be around 10, with protein included. Honestly, it was like one breakfast meal spilt into two courses. Everyone ate because they were ready to eat, so I didn't have problems with food waste.

• Like 2

We're on "summer menu" right now so every morning they are welcome to fix for themselves from: plain yogurt, frozen blueberries, homemade granola, milk, hardboiled eggs, fresh fruit.  Everyone but my one-year-old can get themselves breakfast right now.  Dh typically makes himself an omelet or soup and will happily make one for anyone else up who wants one.  

• Like 1

What are they eating before 9:30? I have a pretty strict protein heavy rule around here or everybody seems to crash and burn.

MWF are usually egg dishes- breakfast burrito, frittata, casserole, etc.

T and Th are hot cereal with egg stirred in

Sometimes Friday's we have pancakes and sausage or just pancakes.

On the weekends they have cereal. So, I'm trying to ensure they all have protein. The problem is they're just not eating it. In my defense, my DH has the same breakfasts and he likes them. So it's not just my cooking....I hope.

Other: We all have cereal for breakfast, so we pour our own cereal, but an adult pours the milk for the kids (because I can't expect my youngest, aged 3 to lift and pour from a 6pt milk bottle yet).  So if you've taken too much cereal it's your own fault - I expect first helpings to be eaten, but seconds are available.

How old are your kids?

What do they want for breakfast? Are you making scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and hot tea when they really just want a bowl of cold cereal? Do they need to wait an hour or so after waking up to eat? Maybe a fruit smoothie w/yogurt or protein powder would be better- they can drink it slowly over the morning.

My girls are 19, 15, & 13. I voted "other" because sometimes I do make breakfast, but most of the time, everyone gets whatever they want whenever they are hungry for it. And breakfast can be anything- toast, cereal, bagel/creamcheese, pancakes, toaster waffles, smoothie, leftover pizza, eggs... my only requirement (even for the adult child- we still pay for her health insurance, LOL!) is that Pop Tarts (or other sugary breakfasts) must be eaten with some sort of protein, and "sugar cereals" must be mixed with a plain cereal- usually Cheerios.

I've got young kids- 8, 6, 3, 2. I've never thought of mixing cereals before. I may do that on Sundays. I don't allow cereal on weekdays.

I've got young kids- 8, 6, 3, 2. I've never thought of mixing cereals before. I may do that on Sundays. I don't allow cereal on weekdays.

That's challenging.  They are all young.  And even the oldest might not be able to do all that much.  Depends.  I had one who picked up on cooking and getting food early.  The other is I don't know timid in the kitchen for lack of a better way of putting it.  So even at 9 he needs help.  But he is getting better.  The 13 year old could handle cooking us all breakfast.  He is my kid that doesn't tend to eat breakfast at all though.  And either way I only have 2 kids.

I cooked/prepared breakfast and we ate together.

In my home, children who ate a few bites and then tossed their food, and moaned about starvation at 9:30, would have been busted. Actually, tossing their food would have resulted in their being busted.

Allowing your dc to "take ownership of breakfast" won't solve the underlying problem: they have developed bad habits, not the least of which is being disrespectful of you.

You're right Ellie. Ă°Å¸Ëœ

We eat paleo most of the time so we have to fix breakfast. There is no boxed paleo breakfast. So normally DH starts making breakfast as he is down first. I come down after him and finish up or help. There are rare times where I will make a granola ahead of time and we will eat that with almond milk. We had that this morning. However we normally have a emeals.com breakfast that we just whip up. If the kids eat it or not, they don't eat again till noon time except on rare occasions (normally this is the baby as the older one CAN eat anything but the baby can't). My children are 22 months and 6 years old.

Op, you didn't mention the ages of your children, nutritional needs, responsibility, their personalities or their kitchen skills.

I tried to correct that in the posts above. No special nutritional needs. The 6 and 8 year old can make sandwiches and scramble eggs (though I like to be present in case they forget to turn off the stove or if an accident were to happen). Our microwave is a built in above the stove so it's awkward for them to use. Personality: 8- intense and grumpy, 6- late sleeper and ...um...ethereal, 3- starving active boy yet he eats two bites of any meal and is done, 2- loud and my only good eater who wears more food than she eats.

I didn't vote because no option completely fits our situation. We eat breakfast (which is usually prepared by DH or myself but often with some involvement and assistance from the kids) together as a family eat morning. We meal plan and try to do something that has a good mix of fat and protein and is not carb heavy. Since we eat breakfast around six thirty the kids usually do get a balanced snack between 9 and 9:30. On days they attend classes on campus they head to school right after that snack and brushing teeth.

How does "other" not fit? ;) I guess my second career as a poll writer is on hold. ;)

You have quite a mix and they are all still pretty young.  You mentioned they are starving not long after breakfast.  Have you considered eating a little later or altering you meal / protein  to the snack and making breakfast a simpler menu?

I tried to correct that in the posts above. No special nutritional needs. The 6 and 8 year old can make sandwiches and scramble eggs (though I like to be present in case they forget to turn off the stove or if an accident were to happen). Our microwave is a built in above the stove so it's awkward for them to use. Personality: 8- intense and grumpy, 6- late sleeper and ...um...ethereal, 3- starving active boy yet he eats two bites of any meal and is done, 2- loud and my only good eater who wears more food than she eats.

When the kids were really little, I cooked breakfast.  As they grew older I taught them to make it with supervision.  Now it is everyone for themselves.  Occasionally if we are going to have something like pancakes, then we will make enough for everyone.  Well, except for me, because I'm not eating gluten.  

I have fond memories of my mom giving us hot breakfasts in the mornings before school. So I get up in the mornings to make oatmeal or pancakes or scones, eggs, and fruit. :) I like cooking breakfast.

Why not either wait until 9:30 or serve a small mid-morning snack? I need some time between getting up and eating; same for my oldest boy. We had a mid-morning snack for him for years, until he got old enough that he didn't really need it any more. Sometimes the snack was just breakfast redux--leftover pancakes or muffins and fruit and cheese.

Cat

ETA: Saving breakfast instead of tossing it is always an encouraged option in our house, as is taking only a small portion if our tummies aren't awake. Sometimes I save part of my own breakfast for mid-morning. My oldest is 22 now, and the youngest is 10. They are all fine eaters at breakfast time now, and I have always accommodated their need to eat or not eat. I do not believe in throwing away food; I also believe it's my job to focus on what and how much I prepare, and encourage them to listen to their bodies. :) Though now, with teen and preteen boys, I'm more worried about whether I've prepared enough than whether they'll not eat! :D

My kids are 12 and 14 and make their own breakfast.  They have been making breakfast since they were 8 or 9, with help from me as needed.  Mostly simple breakfasts like cereal, toast or oatmeal, but my youngest has gotten very good at all sorts of eggs - omelets, sunny side up, poached, scrambled - since those are his favorites.

If I am making eggs and sausage/bacon, oatmeal or pancakes I'll make it for everyone who is up.  Otherwise there is always bagels, poptarts (don't judge me :rolleyes: ),  in my dd case sweet potatoes, a box of cereal or 2, granola bars. that the kids can eat if they want breakfast later.

• Like 1

If I am making eggs and sausage/bacon, oatmeal or pancakes I'll make it for everyone who is up.  Otherwise there is always bagels, poptarts (don't judge me :rolleyes: ),  in my dd case sweet potatoes, a box of cereal or 2, granola bars. that the kids can eat if they want breakfast later.

That's basically how it is here.  Sometimes I wake up and think I'll make breakfast.  I make it for everyone.  Sometimes I wake up and think I need more coffee than usual fend for yourself.  LOL

• Like 1

Your age spread is fairly similar to mine. My kids either eat a good breakfast or we save the plates if they get hungry later, so they have something to eat. We also do school and playtime before breakfast so it isn't immediately after a waking up. That seems to help a lot.

I don't personally have my children make their own meals (unless I'm sick)

BUUUUUUT

They absolutely love helping me cook and eat better when they've had a part in the prep. So I have one scoop cottage cheese, one peel eggs or scramble the for me, the preschooler man the toaster, the toddler can get napkins if she wants to help, etc etc. It's an easy way to involve them and get them comfortable in the kitchen and food prep.

I don't necessarily see tossing food as disrespectful, I agree that it could be a matter of giving them too much for them at the time.  I would try doing a smaller snack first thing and then making the big breakfast later in the morning, if they eat more then you will know it's just a matter of not wanting that much food first thing.  

I've never been one to punish kids with food.  I will not force my kids to eat if they say they aren't hungry, or are full before they clean their plates.  I'm a huge opponent to the whole clean plate club thing. I've never saved their plate and made them eat it before they could have something else.  I get that their are some that choose to and if it works for your kids fine, it's just not my cup of tea.  My inlaws are very much of that mind set and it took a long time to get them to not challenge me on the way DH and I chose to parent differently.  My kids have learned to eat when THEY are hungry, not when I, or anyone else, think they should be.  

Family breakfast daily was never in the cards for us. Not with a husband who was leaving the house at 0400 for years on end.  Heck most times I've only been asleep for an hour or two by then.  I'm not going to get up for breakfast at that crazy early hour. 

• Like 3

I hadn't noticed a mention of disrespect. Isn't that one of the ways people develop eating disorders - having to eat food even though they are not hungry, so as not to disrespect the person who made it?

I think we're on the same side. Someone up thread said it would be disrespectful for the kids to not eat or throw their food away. I've never agreed with the clean plate philosophy so I can't relate to that line of thought. I think people should be aware of their own body's needs and that can be a tough skill to develop in a house with three squares and a clean plate club.

• Like 1

I've never been one to punish kids with food.  I will not force my kids to eat if they say they aren't hungry, or are full before they clean their plates.  I'm a huge opponent to the whole clean plate club thing. I've never saved their plate and made them eat it before they could have something else.  I get that their are some that choose to and if it works for your kids fine, it's just not my cup of tea.  My inlaws are very much of that mind set and it took a long time to get them to not challenge me on the way DH and I chose to parent differently.  My kids have learned to eat when THEY are hungry, not when I, or anyone else, think they should be.  

I agree with this.  But I also have a problem with habitually wasting food.  I think the "respect" issue goes both ways.  It is disrespectful to waste food.  It is also disrespectful to force someone to eat something they do not want to.  If the OP is throwing out all but two bites of her children' breakfasts every morning, then action needs to be taken.  The parent needs to get a handle on what the kids want to eat, how much, and when.  The kids also need to be taught to take the amount of food they expect to eat and in general eat it all, going back for seconds when necessary.

I am not talking about the occasional eyes-are-bigger-than-stomach moments.  We all have those from time to time.  But I know I would feel pretty disrespected both from an effort standpoint and financial standpoint if someone I was charged with feeding was tossing most of their meals on a regular basis.

I agree with this.  But I also have a problem with habitually wasting food.  I think the "respect" issue goes both ways.  It is disrespectful to waste food.  It is also disrespectful to force someone to eat something they do not want to.  If the OP is throwing out all but two bites of her children' breakfasts every morning, then action needs to be taken.  The parent needs to get a handle on what the kids want to eat, how much, and when.  The kids also need to be taught to take the amount of food they expect to eat and in general eat it all, going back for seconds when necessary.

I am not talking about the occasional eyes-are-bigger-than-stomach moments.  We all have those from time to time.  But I know I would feel pretty disrespected both from an effort standpoint and financial standpoint if someone I was charged with feeding was tossing most of their meals on a regular basis.

i get where you're coming from, but in the case of small children this is really an issue of parents teaching them how much is normal for them, it may take some time to figure that out.  Some people have a ridiculous idea about how much food is a proper serving for kids. 

• Like 1

My six year olds are never very hungry when they first wake up.  My son wakes much earlier than I wake.  We aren't big breakfast eaters but I've let them (mainly my son because he's up so early and my daughter sleeps nearly as late as I do {which is only 8am}) graze on healthier options in the fridge.  They have a shelf with just their food they know they are welcome to eat - applesauce, fruit, yogurt w/o much sugar, cheese sticks.  Sometimes I'll make them a smoothie when I get up.  They like eggs, too, if I feel like making them.  We don't eat much cereal or oatmeal but I wish mine would like oatmeal.  If I've made a batch of granola, they'll eat that but they don't make it themselves.  If they eat fairly lightly, they get nuts or another snack mid-morning at the school table.  Or we just eat lunch between 11 and 12.  I almost never make a big breakfast on the weekday (big to me means something requiring more than a microwave or blender).  Sometimes we have leftover waffles or similar from the weekend.  I long for the time when mine are self-sufficient for at least one meal. 

i get where you're coming from, but in the case of small children this is really an issue of parents teaching them how much is normal for them, it may take some time to figure that out.  Some people have a ridiculous idea about how much food is a proper serving for kids. 

I agree with this as well.  All bets are off for children under 4yo.  Around that age most children can be taught to take food in quantities they expect to be able to eat and also to politely decline foods they do not want to eat.

• Like 1

I also don't see tossing unwanted food as disrespectful. I think forcing oneself and others to eat past what is needed could just as easily be seen as being disrespectful to your body.  My kids and my body are not a garbage disposal. Just because it is on my plate doesn't mean I have to force it down. 

And often adults serve kids adult sized portions. I know my dh is still guilty of this. He just fills up a bowl or a plate and doesn't stop to think about the person who will be eating the food. There is nothing wrong with not finishing it.

If a kid overserves him or herself then they need to be taught what a reasonable serving size is. It isn't that big a deal, lol. I had to do the same with toilet paper and toothpaste, so why not cereal? Hey, I've noticed every morning I toss out most of your cereal. Here is the bowl I want you to use from now on and this is how full it should be. If that isn't enough then have a second bowl, but lets see how you do with this.  How is that difficult? I have a variety of bowls and plates and cups from garage sales etc and they are all within easy reach of the kids. It is also healthier for adults to eat off smaller plates b/c we eat less.

I get it.  Food is precious and expensive and most people in this world don't have access to enough of it. And no one wants their kids to get in the habbit of taking a bite from an apple and then tossing it out of boredom or whatever. But I am not sure the answer to that is to 'bust' someone for not finishing their cereal.

Now, I know this is not a popular opinion and I am guessing the forces of gratefulness and frugality will swoop down upon me, lol. But I think there is room for a variety of valid opinions.

• Like 4

My kids are teens. They have been making their own breakfasts for years. In the beginning it was simply a bowl of cereal or yogurt. Around age 7 they learned how to cook eggs and simple omelettes.

This way they can eat when they are ready and not because I prepared breakfast.

ds 15 makes eggs for himself and dh every morning (and whoever else wants them). Dh also makes himself a huge bowl of oatmeal with flax and berries. I eat a power bar almost every day with copious amounts of coffee. Sometimes I'll make the eggs with kale, brown rice, or avocado- depending on how busy it is.

dd12 eats as much bread as I'll let her get away with and a veggie/ fruit- often a carrot or cuke. 

ds 20 eats whatever anyone will make him or a power bar. 

Coffee. 

I also don't see tossing unwanted food as disrespectful. I think forcing oneself and others to eat past what is needed could just as easily be seen as being disrespectful to your body.  My kids and my body are not a garbage disposal. Just because it is on my plate doesn't mean I have to force it down. 

And often adults serve kids adult sized portions. I know my dh is still guilty of this. He just fills up a bowl or a plate and doesn't stop to think about the person who will be eating the food. There is nothing wrong with not finishing it.

<snip>

Yep. 

When my kids were little, it was my fault if there was food left on their plates, because I was the one serving them.  If a child says "I'm not hungry" we should listen to them.   Obviously we can't always wait to eat till we are hungry -  some schedules just can't be that flexible- but we should be teaching our kids to pay attention to hunger signals, and not eat just because it's breakfast time, or dinner time, or a social event...

I've had a weight problem most of my life. The only time I have ever been successful at losing weight was when I followed a program that taught the principles of eating only when physically hungry, eating slowly, and stopping when comfortable - not necessarily when the plate was empty.  (Though over time it became easier to plan ahead and take less food.)

I'm gaining my weight back now, simply because I'm not following those basic principles anymore.  It's not easy to get back to them.  I have years of eating when not hungry behind me. 

My girls (newly 4 and 6 1/2) usually get up between 6:30-7. I have a cosleeping toddler who usually wakes and wants to nurse when DH's alarm goes off at 6:30. So the girls are almost always out of bed (and hungry) before I can get up.

As much as I'd love to start every day with a healthy meal, it's more important to the kids to be able to eat soon after rising. To this end, I leave cups of milk on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. I also keep a stash of kid-friendly breakfast items -- granola bars, oatmeal squares, fig bars, homemade banana bread, yogurt tubes, bananas, apples, etc. -- where they can reach them. They'll usually grab their milk and a snack shortly after they get up. When I get into the kitchen, I'll offer to fix eggs, oatmeal, or whatever else they might want. They rarely take me up on that offer early in the morning, but will often ask for a healthy snack mid-morning. We usually do a cheese and boiled egg or fruit and nut break between 9:30-10.

• Like 1

I also don't see tossing unwanted food as disrespectful. I think forcing oneself and others to eat past what is needed could just as easily be seen as being disrespectful to your body. My kids and my body are not a garbage disposal. Just because it is on my plate doesn't mean I have to force it down.

If a kid overserves him or herself then they need to be taught what a reasonable serving size is. It isn't that big a deal, lol. I had to do the same with toilet paper and toothpaste, so why not cereal? Hey, I've noticed every morning I toss out most of your cereal. Here is the bowl I want you to use from now on and this is how full it should be. If that isn't enough then have a second bowl, but lets see how you do with this. How is that difficult? I have a variety of bowls and plates and cups from garage sales etc and they are all within easy reach of the kids. It is also healthier for adults to eat off smaller plates b/c we eat less.

I get it. Food is precious and expensive and most people in this world don't have access to enough of it. And no one wants their kids to get in the habbit of taking a bite from an apple and then tossing it out of boredom or whatever. But I am not sure the answer to that is to 'bust' someone for not finishing their cereal.

Now, I know this is not a popular opinion and I am guessing the forces of gratefulness and frugality will swoop down upon me, lol. But I think there is room for a variety of valid opinions.

I agree with you AND I ask my kids to clean most of their plates. I personally feel very strongly about kids trying everything offered, and not asking for more food if they don't like it. But I am also very, ver much in favor of a tbsp or two as a serving for anyone preschool and up, unless they specifically request more. I do expect my kids to eat one egg and a quarter cup of oatmeal, or at least put a decent dent in it. I don't expect them to eat a three egg omelet, two sliced of toast, a bowl of oatmeal, and a smoothie to boot ;). Some days they do! But most of the time I'd rather serve a very small serving and allow seconds if they're still hungry than watch food be wasted.

It always seemed like a common sense compromise to me.

Haven't read everything (sorry!) but I said OTHER b/c it's different all the time.  

If I get in the kitchen first, I make something quick.  If DS12 gets in first, he makes himself something.  DD14 is NEVER in there before me or DS because she has to be pryed out of bed with threat of losing all privileges for eternity. (!)  

Also, me and DS are ready to eat first thing.  DD can't take food too early.  So, that changes the variables daily, as well.  When I make bfst, I make hers as well, and she just eats mid morning or at lunch.  I do ask her to have a glass of milk even if she doesn't eat her bfst because if not, she feels faint and gets a headache.  Then she can eat her bfst when she's ready.    

When DS makes his, he only makes his because DD doesn't like what he likes to make. 

I feel like my DD is like your kids, OP.  If I sat her down to eat when she wasn't ready, she'd pick and waste the rest, too.  So i just wait till she's ready.  I make sure WHEN she's ready that there are very healthy, nutrient-rich things available.  Yes, she tries to eat from the pantry, and daily I point to the other stuff.  I dropped my expectation of WHEN she eats and only kept my expectation of WHAT she eats, and she gets to choose what her body is telling her as to when to feed it.  It seems to work for now.  

ETA: Because DS and  DD feel like eating at different times, I also try to put a small plate of food out to graze on.  Almost always it's fresh cut fruits or veggies.Sometimes it's small yogurt cups or cheese cubes.  DD will pick at that too.  She usually has a really strong appetite from about 11 to 6.

As soon as my kids could put cereal in a bowl, they have made their own breakfast. All of them could scramble an egg by age 8 and they all helped each other get food. I drink coffee and read the paper and clean the kitchen. Our only rule about breakfast is that you must eat a good one, with protein and carbs before you attempt your math.

I personally can't even think about eating for at least two hours after I wake up, so I don't enforce a breakfast time on my kids.  When my son was young, he had hypoglycemia, and needed to eat protein for breakfast.  I would make him a scrambled egg, which he would eat on the side of whatever else he was eating.  Every other day or so, I'd whip up some pancakes, but not every day, and not first thing in the morning.

The kids are older now.  9yodd and Dh eat cold cereal.  I pack a lunch for ds, and he eats some of it for breakfast.  I have no idea what older dd does when she's away at college.  At home, she eats a banana and some sort of carb (raisin bread or bagel, for instance)

If I were in your situation, I would hold off on breakfast until 9:30, when the kids get hungry.  Have them drink a glass of water when they get up (that gets the body functioning better).  Then, have them do chores or a subject that doesn't take too much brain power (handwriting/copywork, perhaps) while you eat and get their breakfast ready.  At 9:30, take a break and have breakfast.  You could read aloud while they eat, perhaps, so you don't feel like you're misusing time).

• Like 1

I voted Other. Ds makes breakfast most mornings, but he cooks for all of us so he isn't really fending for himself. We all eat a big breakfast together. Because of work hours it is the only meal we all eat together. He started when he was 14 to help out when I was having some health problems. Three years later, he still cooks breakfast at least 5 mornings a week. If he is sick or busy, dh or I will do it, but we still cook for everyone.

On the other hand, the other two meals of the day are pretty much fend for yourself for everyone right now. I used to always cook lunch, but it's a really busy time for us.

I voted kids make their own although that's kind of sort of. I have 8, 6 and 3 year olds. 8yo does his own, sometimes 6 yo does hers depending what it is and I have to help the three year old, but sometimes my 8yo does it for him which is nice.

In lots of places people do quite a lot of morning jobs before breakfast so they are good and hungry for a proper meal. If you are getting up late you could just call 930 breakfast time if it works with your schedule.

It also helps to have a substantial breakfast. If the kids have cereal or bread they do better if I also give them some fruit or yoghurt. Or an egg on the toast and some tomato.

My kids are 19, 17, and 12. They make their own breakfasts. There are plenty of options available and everyone likes something different. Occasionally, on a weekend or holiday or if we have overnight company, someone (kid or parent or some combination) might make everyone breakfast. 

I make omelettes when I feel ambitious or scrambled eggs with some veggies when I need to get us out the door. If you eat your protein and veggies, you may have an apple for dessert. Breakfast is about an hour after waking. We have a mid-morning snack 3 hours after breakfast, and I don't allow snacks until then, because I'm mean and don't like cleaning up food constantly, their dentist says it's bad for their teeth, and it often is disruptive to homeschooling.

I make breakfast 5-6 days out of 7.  It's the one meal I can count on my older son to get an appreciable amount of calories at so, yeah, it's important.  

That said, I really could use a dinner fairy, a breakfast fairy, a dishes fairy and a laundry fairy.  I will happily provide room and board and payment in whatever currency fairies prefer should said fairies decide to take up residence in my hanging flower pots.  Fairies that live in flower pots is a thing, right?  

• Like 5

I always made breakfast. Ds had food allergies and there was really nothing self-serve he could eat when he was young. Now that they are in high school, it isn't uncommon for me to say "breakfast is on your own today". They most often fix smoothies, but ds will make muffins and dd will eat cereal. They are both capable of making anything they want. I probably fix breakfast half the time.

The difference here from the OP is that my kids have never NOT eaten what I fix and they never ask for food again before lunch. They were smart enough to be appreciative so I would keep cooking :).

I make breakfast. It's dal in winter or chia pudding in summer.

It's not unusual for us to do some of the lighter school tasks while breakfast is on the stove. This morning we read poetry and did picture study, ate breakfast, then got on with the rest.

• Like 1

I voted other because it varies.  Sometimes we have leftovers for breakfast and that means everyone just heats up or pulls out their own thing.  Sometimes we have cereal or fruit which everyone makes for themselves (youngest is almost 7).  Sometimes I made muffins or something.  Sometimes my oldest son cooks (he's amazing with pancakes, crepes, etc.).