Menu

Read Alouds

I'm close to finished with the last Ramona book.  I bought the Story of the World series to come next.  However, I also want to work in a few books on spirituality / mindfulness.  I was also thinking of reading Mr. Popper's Penguins sometime soon.  Maybe some of the Marguerite Henry books I bought them for Christmas.  Hmmm.

Oh, I didn't say that we all have individual books going as well.  dd13 is reading Gathering Blue, dd10 is reading The Wolf Princess, and dd8 is reading Who was George Washington?.   I am reading a Jack Reacher book... can't remember which one.  Mommy needs some brain candy at the end of the day so don't judge! lol

• Like 1

We start Robin of Sherwood by Michael Morpugo tomorrow, having just finished Swords and Sorcerers by Margaret Hodges. Usually our History doesn't bleed into our Read Aloud quite this much. But when you are doing a year on Vikings/Knights/Crusades/Plague how do you resist? So. Much. Excellent. Literature.

We are also working on The Wizard of Oz, Five Children and It, and From I-Ville to You-Ville which is a sort of Pilgrims Progress for Orthodox kids. Basically we have way too many concurrent read alouds.

• Like 2

Read Roald Dahl's The Magic Finger in one sitting tonight. Tomorrow we begin The Exploits of Moominpappa by Tove Jannson(sp).

The boys are supposed to be in bed but DS1 is reading Syd Hoff books to DS2 so I'm not fussing. :)

• Like 1

I love the read-aloud threads!

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

The Velveteen Rabbit

Encyclopedia Brown

Little House on the Prairie

The Children's Homer

Story of the World 2

The Cartoon Guide to Genetics (yeah, not your typical read-aloud and not for the faint of heart)

• Like 1

We are reading Taran Wanderer, book 4 of the Chronicles of Prydain.  I actually like this one best of all, so far.  Which is good - I always start series with the girls, and then get tired of them before they do! But we're all liking this one a lot.

Our more academic read alouds - for Morgan, In Search of a Homeland.  For Shannon, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.  For both, From Then Till Now (a history) and Trout Reflections and The Forest Unseen (Natural history)

• Like 1

To the youngest:

The Fantastic Mr. Fox

Pinocchio

Just So Stories

Plan is to begin reading the Hobbit out loud to the middle son (6th grade), and Fahrenheit 451 (8th grade) to my eldest daughter for their summer reading.  Makes the project over the summer easier if they have read it ahead of time.  I'm looking forward to the Hobbit, as I've never read it.  Not looking forward to Fahrenheit 451...

We just started Amon's Adventure for Lent/Easter.  I'm going to keep this in the dining room for mealtimes.

We're also reading Our Little Athenian Cousin which we'll be following with Our Little Spartan Cousin.  

I also can't keep track of their independent books!  They mostly read fantasy books like Warriors or LOTR/Hobbit.  

Me: The Orphan Train and John Taylors Gatto's The Underground History of American Education

DH: sailing magazines

DS8: The Korean War: An Interactive Modern History Adventure (that's his "for fun" book!)

Read Aloud: A Red Herring Without Mustard (also his choice - reading through the series)

Almost done with Rifles for Watie.

We need something lighter next. Half Magic maybe?

We loved Half Magic.  It's almost better to listen to the audiobook on that one, though, because the reader does that cat's half-talking so much better than I did!  That is still a source of hilarity at our house.

We are reading The Silver Chair as the fourth book in The Chronicles of Narnia. I plan to skip the last battle.

For school, we are reading The Canterbury Tales by Geraldine McCaughrean, Shaping the Earth, and Lives of Extraordinary Women. We have two poetry books going right now, Now We Are Six which DS is reading to me and Samuel Taylor Coleridge from the Poetry for Young People series.

Oldest and I will wrap up A Tree Grows in Brooklyn tonight. Next up is My Family and Other Animals.

Eleven year old and I will wrap up Double Dog Dare in the next week or so. Next up is the sixth Harry Potter

The littles and I are about halfway through The Green Ember. Hm, not sure what will go for next. I am thinking The Rats of Nimh. We read The Enchanted Tree by Enid Blyton, and they adored it, so maybe something along those lines. 

During the day the littles and I will probably start the next Boobela book some time this week. I also have Understood Betsy slated for the spring, so maybe we'll follow with that. I would like to read the Anne of the Island with all, but that will probably wait until late spring/early summer when the days are long and time stretches before us. 

I am reading The Book Thief, but also have The Well Educated Mind and Smart but Scattered: Teens on my nightstand. In all my free time, ya know?  :001_rolleyes:

edited for the one grammar mistake I caught, ignore the rest. ;)

• Like 1

We have too many going on as well...

Together:

Pearl by Tolkien (from Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orfeo), Science Matters, The Merchant of Venice

Older Daughter:

She reads The Odyssey aloud to me, we discuss, we watch lectures together

Younger Daughter:

George MacDonald author study starting with The Light Princess, Ivanhoe, Tree in the Trail

I think that I'm missing a couple...:)

Our current family read aloud is The Candymakers by Wendy Mass.  Dd is working on the 2nd book in the Pegasus series by Kate O'Hearn, and I am pre-reading Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass to see if it will be ok for our next family read aloud (dd is very sensitive and the weirdest things scare her so I try to pre-read anything that is labeled as being for middle school age just in case)

ETA: We are all very impatiently awaiting the next Penderwicks book that is due out this spring!

We have just recently rediscovered the joys of reading aloud. I just finished reading Sir Lancelot the Great to my oldest Dd.  Today we are going to start Sticks Across the Chimney.  We are also reading SOTW and others.  To my youngers we are reading Flip Flap Body Book, Fairy Tales, and other books they choose.   Nothing compares to cuddle on the couch time, although we run out of room quickly with four kids all trying to listen and see the pictures in the books.

I'm reading DS SOTW 1 (he's kind of in love with it), a book about the planets, some short stories from around the world (Old Tales for a New Day), The Little People's Guide to the Big World, and Geronimo Stilton: Mouse in Space.

I'm having him read me some Arnold Lobel books, because I don't want him to do the next Pathway Readers book yet.

Coming up are some picture books with Native American stories, Galen and the Gateway to Medicine, Buddha at Bedtime, and E is for Ethics.

Out louds:

Leyla: The Black Tulip 

Robin Hood by Howard Pyle

How do Ants Know When You are Having A Picnic 

How to Think Like a Scientist 

SOtW3

dd is reading silently:

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

dd is listening

The Two Towers on audiobook

ds is reading:

Bob books level one :)

I am reading:

the Dovekeepers

We're still reading through the Narnia series. We're on The Magician's Nephew (we didn't start with it; we're reading in the order that Lewis wrote the books). And we just finished a book on CD in the car and for the life of me, I can't remember what it was!  :huh:  I've always been like this (unless the book seriously stuck with me). I would NOT have done well with the interview question about the last 3 books I read! 

Lisa

We're reading the Voyage of the Dawn Treader right now. 

So are we! :)

Plus all the school readings for the two olders. And Egermeirs at lunch time to all of them. And lots of books for the little kids. And DH is reading something to them at bedtime, but I don't know what....because I am done reading aloud by bedtime!

• Like 1

We're reading the Mouse and the Motorcycle, but I'm not into it yet. I didn't enjoy the Ramona books (I know, blasphemy), so I'm not sure what compelled me to try this one.

I think I'm feeling uninspired, so this thread is timely.

• Like 1

We just finished Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

I'm so happy we've finally, after many months, been able to add classic read alouds back into our day. My son is napping much better. After we do history or science, the girls usually get out art to do (or a SOTW coloring page) and we get on the couch. When the toddlers wake up they're now used to it and hop up on the couch too! The 2 yr old I care for brought me the book one morning and said "Read it!!" It just melted my heart. I get a good hour in each day this way.

We're following along behind WWE 1 so up next is Mary Poppins.

With my oldest we are reading this version of Don Quixote: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0763640816/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At lunch we are reading Reddy Fox and will likely go on to read several other Thorton Burgess books after this one. 

I'm also getting ready to start reading My Father's Dragon with my middle one for the first time - so excited!!!

I miss reading aloud with both my girls (older is now a freshman in public high school). Youngest and I are reading Julius Caesar for school--not quite the fun read-alouds from yesteryear! In the car we are listening to House of Hades. We'll need to pick a good read-aloud we can all enjoy for summer.

• Like 1

I'm reading The Eagle of the Ninth along with my oldest (meaning we are each reading it independently).

I'm reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory aloud to my middle two kids.

I just read endless train books to my little boys. Their current favorite is How to Train Your Train.

• Like 2

Audiobook: "The Wee Free Men" by Terry Pratchett *sniff, sniff*

We read everything but chapter 4 of "The Saturdays" and just finished last night. Today it was "The Princess in Black." And now? The kids want me to continue rereading the Harry Potter books. I think we're up to #3, but I might claim my "reader's choice" perogative and pick something else. I have to check the shelves before I decide.

• Like 1

Together:
A Bear Called Paddington (2nd attempt)

Baby Island

Heidi

Builders of the Old World (during Morning Meeting)

Gilgamesh trilogy by Ludmila Zeman (during Morning Meeting)

I've Lost My Hippopotamus (during Morning Meeting)

Grace:

My Side of the Mountain

Gilgamesh the Hero

Sophia:

Christian Liberty Press Nature Reader Book 1

Science in Ancient Mesopotamia (popcorn reads with me)

Me:

Salt: A World History

Oliver Twist

Consider This

For fun: Laddie: A True Blue Story

For school: Tales of Old-Time Texas

DD: The Bronze Bow, Dragon Rider, plus rereading somewhere between 3 and 7 of her favorites 

Me: Nothing fun. I've got a stack of "oughta" reads, but I'm only a chapter or two into most of them and don't want to finish a single one. Maybe I can make myself finish Snap: Making the Most of First Impressions, Body Language and Charisma this weekend since I've only got a few chapters left and DD will be at Grandma's.

I could be confused the book with something else. But doesn't Island of the Blue Dolphins have, well, ... inappropriate stuff for the ages of your kids?

ETA: Never mind. When I read, "Island of the Blue Dolphins" I thought about the movie, "The Blue Lagoon".

Yikes! No! Blue Lagoon wouldn't be ok at our house

I'm reading Island of the Blue Dolphins with my 9 year old. It's slightly violent with a battle between native people and a dog fight but it's been ok for my oldest so far. My littles aren't listening in on it. They wouldn't be ready for it yet.

We just finished one of our favorite read-alouds so far- Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant. It was so entertaining, we all loved it,even DS who usually listens with 1/2 an ear while daydreaming about hockey.

We love this book!