Menu

Got my first wedding invitation by text.

Miss Peregrine

My sister sent out invitations for dd's first birthday by text. But it looked like a picture of a paper invitation - flowery background, elegant curly font...

Was this just plain text? Or more like what a real invitation looks like? I'm guessing the couple must be young...

Still, it seems too informal for a wedding.

My sister sent out invitations for dd's first birthday by text. But it looked like a picture of a paper invitation - flowery background, elegant curly font...

Was this just plain text? Or more like what a real invitation looks like? I'm guessing the couple must be young...

Just text. Along the lines of"What are you doing "x" date? Nothing? Fantastic! Get yourself to . . ."

A mass text as an invitation is rude IMO. As an informal save the date to your nearest and dearest, it seems ok.  I'd prefer e-mail actually if someone were going to go informal because I can file that info and look at it easily later.  I don't text all that much so maybe I'm weird.

Just text. Along the lines of"What are you doing "x" date? Nothing? Fantastic! Get yourself to . . ."

I would call that a 'save the date' not the actual invitation. I would still expect a paper invite closer to the actual ceremony.....unless it is an impromtu, no time to mail invites sort of event.

I think it is fine to send a text in addition to a formal invitation.  I love the idea of sending out the address via text so people can do the GPS thing while driving (however that works).  I remember my parents' friend being very displeased about how hard it was to find my parents' 50th anniversary party.  :P

Am I the only one who thinks this is a great idea? Instead of hunting down the paper invitation for the driving directions, I could go back through my texts, click on the address and have a map pop up. Very convenient. ;)

I like it because it's SIMPLE and inexpensive! I wouldn't do it but that's OK.  I still like the idea.

I understand that people like social conventions, or pretty paper, or...mail? And this is definitely out of the norm. But I don't understand why it is rude. If you're the kind of couple that just wants to say "Hey, we're getting hitched, wanna come?" that's okay by me. I'm so confused by etiquette posts sometimes.

Despite sending them this way, not all will receive the message in this format. Depends on their phone.

My poor dh doesn't get images and gets dropped out of group texts. Neither he nor the sender get an error message.

I am overlooking the etiquette factor here (too ghastly to contemplate!); I simply don't trust the technology to accurately reach the invitees.

I got "yelled" at by family for doing invites on facebook for the girls birthday parties. People not on Facebook got paper invites. These are not huge productions just little get togethers at my house and quite frankly I wasn't about to spend any more money than necessary for paper invites and stamps knowing darn well that those griping about it wasn't going to show up anyway

Okay, just so you know, don't follow GPS if you are out of state and going to a wedding anywhere in the Detroit area. If you would be on I-96, I-94, or I-75, get out an old fashioned map or get specific directions from the bride and groom. The reason for this is that many GPS's, for whatever reason, have poorly done software and send driver's through the Windsor Tunnel on I-75 to Canada. It's happened so much that the city of Detroit put up signs to tell you not to do this, but they are small signs, and about a mile from where the road funnels off so sometimes with people not used to the area, heavy traffic, and the sheer number of semi's blocking your vision, you don't see the sign. The Canadian authorities are NOT amused by this. Not.one.little.bit. LOL, they've been known to keep people off to the side for a couple of hours berating them about accidentally trying to enter Canada without a Michigan enhanced driver's license or a passport. It is not a fun time for the driver, much less the passengers.

So, if you go for this "text the address and I'll GPS it", then just be uber careful for Detroit and the surrounding burbs.

As for the text, I guess my issue is that weddings, in my opinion, are special. Really special. A notch above birthday parties, backyard barbecues, and Superbowl celebrations. Thus, I like to see a more special effort made. On top of which, more and more employers are spying on their employees through social media. No joke, my husband's company has a few workers devoted to doing nothing but breaking into facebook and twitter accounts to see if one is complaining about the boss or not, or talking about company data, plans, etc. I have been watching a steady stream of individuals announce they are getting rid of their facebook, twitter, etc. accounts. So, it seems that if one relied on this type of thing to be the major source of communication about such an important occasion, one might be disappointed by who didn't hear about your wedding in time to plan for it.

I know it costs essentially 50 cents each for mailing, and the cost of invites on top of it. But honestly, one can first of all get beautiful cardstock and specialty papers that will run through a black and white printer for pennies per invite. Print something yourself, get a couple of dollar rolls of ribbon from the Walmart craft section, time a bow around them, and place in dollar store envelopes. The cost will be low for the invitation itself and if money is so tight that mailing is an issue, one should consider not inviting a horde of individuals to your wedding anyway because that is really expensive. It would also be okay to send a first class manila envelope for a couple of dollars with 10 or 12 invitations that granny could hand deliver. That's okay too. Usually grannies, aunties and what not love to have little jobs like that so they feel included in the festivities and planning.

And one other thing....the older generation is sentimental. They like to have a printed invitation to put with their photographs and scrapbooks. It's a nice thing to do for them.

If it is a Save the Date, then texts are fine. These are just courtesy notifications to those that would have significant planning to do/traveling in order to attend and need more than the customary 6-8 weeks notice in order to make it happen. Having some fancy, printed, mailed thing is not necessary. Now if you don't mind paying for stamps, again those can be easily made on most household printers these days, and it is convenient to have something to affix to the household refrigerator.

I got "yelled" at by family for doing invites on facebook for the girls birthday parties. People not on Facebook got paper invites. These are not huge productions just little get togethers at my house and quite frankly I wasn't about to spend any more money than necessary for paper invites and stamps knowing darn well that those griping about it wasn't going to show up anyway

I wouldn't mind a Facebook or email invitation to a birthday party. Weddings are special and it wouldn't even occur to me to send those via text, email, or FB. Our dd is is ordering paper invitations.

I wouldn't mind a Facebook or email invitation to a birthday party. Weddings are special and it wouldn't even occur to me to send those via text, email, or FB. Our dd is is ordering paper invitations.

We had paper invites for our wedding too, not expensive ones though. Weddings should have paper invites (and perhaps an electronic version as back up?)

Times are changing. I don't mind an electronic version instead. But a text seems so... informal and fleeting. Was there at least an image attached that looked like an invite or was it just a text... like, "David n Jane gettin hitched 2tomorrow! BYOB! Address. Txt yr RSVP!"

Depends on the wedding. I wouldn't think anything of it if it's just a: "Hey, we're heading off to the courthouse to have a quick wedding by the justice of the peace in our jeans and t-shirts. You can pop by if you want." Not all weddings are formal. Not all people want a formal wedding. Hooray for getting married! But if they're planning a formal wedding, formal invitations would be nice. :)

OK, I find texts inconvenient because I don't really text (and until recently did not have a phone that could), but I don't see why electronic invitations per se are considered rude. Why paper invitations that get only thrown away (or worse, saved for the heirs to throw away after the death of the person who hoarded such things her entire life)?

As a for a wedding being not a cookout - depends on the people. One can have a fantastic wonderful wedding party as a cookout, completely informal.

But then, I don't get the overblown hype about weddings anyway.

Sounds more like a "save the date" text than an invite.  I rather get a text than my extended family's way of the bridal couple and their siblings calling everyone by phone.

Depends on the wedding. I wouldn't think anything of it if it's just a: "Hey, we're heading off to the courthouse to have a quick wedding by the justice of the peace in our jeans and t-shirts. You can pop by if you want." Not all weddings are formal. Not all people want a formal wedding. Hooray for getting married! But if they're planning a formal wedding, formal invitations would be nice. :)

I don't disagree with this.  Or that electronic invites are always a bad thing.  If it's a full on invite with times and locations and dates, I want it in a format easy to refer to later.  I don't think texting is that format.  I'd rather have an e-mail or a FB event.  I think it's also important to know your guest list.  If your older relatives will not get info this way effectively (or whoever), I do think it's polite to make sure those people get hard copies of the information.  I don't think every wedding invite needs to be engraved on parchment or anything. 

For less formal events, all bets are off.  But if you text me a group invite there is a reasonably good chance I will see it and forget it shortly thereafter. 

lol. My mom has yet to embrace the idea of birth anouncements on Facebook rather than by mail. I've been trying to convince her that this is the new "normal" even though it goes against the older folks sense of 'manners'.

If there were a good case for a virtual announcement or invite (and I'm not saying there is!), it would be for a birth announcement. Not that babies are less special than any other event, but for the mere fact that new parents already have their hands full!

Despite sending them this way, not all will receive the message in this format. Depends on their phone.

My poor dh doesn't get images and gets dropped out of group texts. Neither he nor the sender get an error message.

I am overlooking the etiquette factor here (too ghastly to contemplate!); I simply don't trust the technology to accurately reach the invitees.

Etiquette norms change over time... 

You know those Victorian paper calling cards the men would write their names on to reserve a dance with a lady... now picture a modern day dance club. 

I will always send out paper invites because I like to - but sooner or later I will be in the minority.

I just read a little article where a woman doesn't send paper invitations to her parties, rather she picks up the phone to invite people. She follows up with an email. She says that calling on the phone is "thoughtful and unexpected."

That seems so topsy-turvy to me. I'm doing my best to keep up with our changing world.