Menu

2015-16 school year plans

It used to be that I would start dreaming about next year's curriculum in January because I was getting a bit tired of what we were working on and was ready to contemplate new books and new subjects.

That has changed with high school. I am not ready to think about next year, Sailor Dude's senior year, but I have to due to looming deadlines.

What are you all considering for next year?

Our first deadline is mid-February for forecasting at the high school. We aim for one class there to stay tied in with friends, swimming, testing, and the counseling center. Ds spoke with the Spanish V teacher today to find out what he would need to do to be qualified for the class. I had just made the decision for ds to continue on with Ray Leven for AP Spanish, but the course at school is run in conjunction with a state university and offers 12 college credits for reduced tuition of $230. I think we'd be crazy not to do it if they take him. Ds will probably continue working with Ray through the summer to be prepared as Ray is helping him get through two years of Spanish in one year.

Next comes the decision for PAHS classes. Ds seems to be holding his own with a couple of AP classes even though the work load is staggering altogether. He's losing a few participation points, but doesn't seem to have any regrets and rates it as a good year academically. We'll see when he's snowballed with all of the testing. Our wish list is:

AP US History (ideally with Susan Richman)

AP Comparative Government - I could do this myself, but ds finds the discussion with other students to be valuable.

Ds initially had no desire to take more US History, but a plan is slowly forming with regards to a degree in International Government and Politics, or something along those lines with some kind of focus on economics. We are in the exploratory stage and this isn't a straight-forward as say a degree in accounting.

Math- hopefully moving from Precalculus to Calculus. I am now out of my league, the ps is inconsistent, so it may be time to turn this over to Derek Owens.

English 12 - this will be his fun class as he will be done with both AP English classes. He wants to study argumentation and we'll probably do something along the lines of TTC's A Day's Read. Since his critical reading scores are high, but speed remains problematic, this would introduce him to many of the great authors without having to commit to something like War and Peace. One of my last courses with him. :001_unsure:

AP Physics C or Marine Science - if he chooses the physics course, we'll farm it out. If not, I'll do the Marine Science with some Earth Science in order to justify some travel around the state to places we've missed while he's been growing up.

Then in the summer, I can go back to work to pay for college, senior year, and campus visits. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 13

Just an 11th grader next year!  

• Over the summer we need to finish Philosophy (1/2 credit), maybe some into the fall.  
  • Biology will probably go into the summer too.  
  • Health (1/2 credit)
  • History/lit/light writing class with an author friend (modern history)
  • AP English Composition (PAHS -- registered!)
  • Latin 3 (Classic Academic Press -- registered!)
  • Geometry (Saxon)
  • Chemistry (DIVE)
  • Logic (CAP?)

Extras: PSAT/SAT Prep, martial arts, piano.

Rough plan for 12th after that:

• Psychology (VPSA or Sonlight)
  • Economics (?)
  • History/lit/light writing class with an author friend
  • Short story  (IEW with selected stories)
  • Lukeion Research Writing
  • Trig/Pre-Calc (Saxon)
  • Physics (Conceptual)
  • Dual Enrollment IT

Winding it down, indeed.

• Like 5

11th grader next year, and I have not much of an idea. Can't plan yet.

He has no desire for dual enrollment or online courses and prefers to self study at home. I would really like him see take one class at college, though.

So far I know:

Math - precalculus with AoPS.

History- he just said he does not wish to continue the chronological progression but wants modern history possibly US. Can do, thanks to the Teaching Company.

English - eclectic. Probably no longer in synch with history probably. I'll make it up.

Science? Big question. He had algebra based physics, we do chemistry now, he has no interest in biology (but will have to bite the bullet at some point). Will se what he says in summer.

Foreign language - German for heritage speakers.

Plus continue working on Art history and computer skills cumulative credits.

• Like 6

10th grade:

Hybrid online program through the school system (block system):

• Honors English 10 (fall)/Honors chemistry (spring)
  • Latin 2 (fall)/possibly honors world history (Englightenment to present) (spring)
  • possibly AP psychology (yearlong)

At home:

• Saxon Advanced Mathematics (first 90 lessons)

Not sure what else for credit---could do art appreciation at home pretty easily. I also don't know at this point what will be available through our co-op (could be credit or extracurricular). I'm considering teaching an acting-based course on two of Shakespeare's comedies in the fall, which will be counted as extra credit for her honors English class. She will continue with martial arts as an extracurricular

• Like 6

Eesh :eek:

10th grade

Arabic 2 from Potter's School. Yes, a Christian provider for my decidedly secular daughter. She loves the current Arabic 1, really enjoys the class dynamic, the language, the assignments, and Mrs. Azeez, and has a 99.8% in the class. She may continue through Arabic 3, depending on the Christian content. If not, she'll switch to the university (they use the same books).

AP Psychology I'll write a syllabus for College Board approval. Dnephew may join dd, as he is doing for AP Human Geography this year (he's in public high school across town).

Calculus at the in-town state flagship university. She wants a physical class for calculus. We had planned on AoPS calculus with the AP BC test (as others have done), but she wants an unrelated (:lol:) in-person teacher. Kind of sad at ending my math teaching career.

She really wants AP Environmental Science (based on Science Olympiad studying and events over the years) but I thinks she should have proper Biology first. Of course, she may already have enough bio for APES. So that's up in the air. (Edited to add: hmm, we could probably do both! I could write an APES syllabus and teach it, and we could use something like Kolbe's syllabus for bio...)

English is a big decision. I don't know if she'll be ready for AP. If she is, she wouldn't be able to stay with Blue Tent since they limit classes to 11th and 12th graders. She could do PA Homeschoolers AP Lang, I guess. Or she could take one of Lukeions's classes---the ancient lit or the mythology ones. Any way, I will be outsourcing this subject!

And then we have history to decide! It will either be a chronological continuation with medieval OR a more-in-depth focus on a particular civilization (or civilizations) during the ancient period, since that is what really appeals to dd.

Ballet will be her all-consuming extracurricular :)

Driver's ed will be taken the summer after 10th grade, free through the state.

• Like 4

Actually I'm itching to get started on planning but none of the online places have next year's stuff published yet.  Based on what I saw for this year here's what I'm thinking

12th grader

PAHS Physics Mechanics and Magnetism and Electicity

PAHS MacroEconomics

Micro Economics, PAHS full course, or audit course or self study.  will depend on the finances and what we can afford

Landry Academy, American Lit (unless I can talk him into taking AP English through PAHS)

Bible, he will finish his BIble survey study (we found a read through the BIble in a year program which when broken in half works quite nicely for 2 years of study)

Math, he's taking classes at mathandmusicstudio.com this year.  From what I've heard, there will be a class called Complex Analysis, that DS can take.  If it doesn't work out, we will have him take something at the CC.

I feel like this is really light but I have no idea what else to add at this point since 4 of the 6 are college level courses and I don't want to overwhelm him either.  I am hoping to have him do driver's ed at some point in the next 12 months before he goes to college so I can always stick that on if I really feel like I need more credits  (I know this is controversial but it's standard around here for kids to take driver's ed in high school (through the school) and have it on the transcript so colleges wouldn't blink at all to have it there).

I will also have one starting 9th grade next year.  His schedule is looking like this

probably Apologia Biology but also considering the Robotics class through Landry Academy

Landry Academy, English IV

Harold Jacob's Algebra

Spanish I through La Clase Divertida

Either American or World history by Notgrass

Bible

Again not sure if I need something more.  We are good at getting the basics done but electives tend to elude us.  There isn't anything my kids are really passionate about and what I think of as traditional electives are things my kids hate (art, music, drama, speech, home ecs, etc).

• Like 3

My thoughts so far for 10th grade next year:

Math: Precalculus with Lial

English: Something I'm considering calling Western Lit to go with world history.  Sort of wrapping up loose ends with must-read classics.  We're using Write Source right now for writing and it just might be working, so we may stick with that.  If so, it will be some sort of record as we've never stuck with anything for writing.

History: World history with Ways of the World and the Big History as well as Daily Life in the Ancient World TC lectures.  And lots of supplemental reading and documentaries.  

Science:  Probably chemistry, possibly at the public high school if they'll let him in.  Biology is a prerequisite, which is pretty funny because it should be the other way around.  If not chemistry, then it will be physics with Derek Owens.  I suggested astronomy but got a less than enthusiastic response.

German II with our wonderful tutor (I'm assuming--I haven't actually asked her if she wants to do a second year)

Electives at the public high school

ETA:  See signature for the real story... Apparently I change my mind a lot.

• Like 4

My high schoolers are about finished up - it's the younger ones taking me so much time to plan these days.

Dd 17 will be a senior next year. She has 3 more semesters of dual enrollment left (summer, fall, spring.)

She must take Statistics, Pre-calculus, Calculus Survey, two science classes (one with lab) and two social studies classes. These classes will complete my requirements for her to graduate high school. Anything else she takes is up to her.

Dd15 will be a sophomore next year, but plans to dual enroll in a full time program to earn her Theatre AA her junior and senior year. This is a fairly lock-step program, so next year is the only year left for me to plan out.

Math - currently still in prealgebra, she will move directly into Algebra 1 and then Algebra 2. We may use Saxon or we may use something else. She will also concurrently earn a credit of Geometry using Key to Geometry along with the partial credits from Saxon Algebra 1 and 2 or another book like Life of Fred Geometry if we don't use Saxon. This will definitely take us somewhere into her junior year.

Science - currently taking Florida Virtual School Physical Science, she will move directly into FLVS Biology and then FLVS Chemistry. She will hopefully finish Chemistry up the summer before junior year.

History - currently taking US & World History I using Kolbe and Teaching Company. We will follow that up with US & World History II next year, again using Kolbe and Teaching Company. She will take the US History I CLEP exam when we get to the right time period.

Literature - currently taking Shakespearian Literature using Kolbe and Teaching Company, she will follow up next year with World Literature again using Kolbe and Teaching Company.

English - Next month, when she finishes her online Theater credit she will take FLVS Honors English II followed by FLVS Honors English III. This a strong area for her and she will finish both before the end of her sophomore year. She will follow the classes up with the College Composition CLEP.

Psychology - currently taking FLVS Psychology, next year she will take FLVS AP Psychology and probably follow that up with the Psychology CLEP instead of the AP exam.

Theater electives - currently taking Acting I at a local high school, and will likely take one or two theater electives again next year at the same local high school. If we can't fit them into the schedule or policies change, etc. she will take a computer applications elective instead.

Foreign Language - waiting for dual enrollment

Any suggestions for a student that struggles in math? She would like a spiral program, similar to Saxon's incremental approach, but with a little less increment and a little less depth. Just the basics. She is working through Key to Algebra now, but that will count as the last part of her prealgebra credit.

• Like 5

I am planning for next year already for my high schoolers because we aren't completely certain if we are switching school boards (must be registered with a board in Alberta to homeschool) or if we are going to change methodology completely for 11th and with conference coming up in april I want to make sure I am 100% sure what we want so I can shop. This is our tentative, rambling plan.

So the plan thus far 

Math: They continue to struggle with this but are finally going to be in Alg 1 next year.  They will be doing MUS alg 1 and MUS geometry simultaneously.  At the end of the year my sister (who teaches high school math to adults at a college) is going to administer a math test so they can get their Math 10 credits finally.  If they manage to get through both of those and Alg 2 they will do another test for their math 20 credits(grade 11).  Thankfully they only need math 20 to graduate, so if it takes another year after this that is okay.

Social: term 1 they will do distance learning for social 20, that is what worked for social 10 this year (they have their final this Tuesday).  Second term they will do Oak Meadow Modern Middle East, and wrap up the time travelers series we have been doing for the last 2 years.   They will also  do oak meadow World Geography spread over both terms (even though it is a 1 semester course).  They can get credit for Geography 30 (grade 12) with it but no credits for the middle east course.  But that course just seems so interesting given the state of the world these days

Science: They will be finishing the Anatomy & Physiology they are starting this semester (Apologia Adv bio), Then doing Oak Meadow Environmental Science (uses Holt) in First Term and OM Biology (also uses Holt) in term 2.  They will write their diploma exam at the end of the biology course which will given them credits for Bio 20 and 30 (grade 11 & 12).  The A&P course gets them a series of elective credits as does the environmental science.  Neither gives credits alone in my province.

English: OM Intro to Lit in term 1, and OM lit II in Term 2.  We will do these instead of the online lit classes they have been doing for the last 3 years.  Lots of work but pretty close the the number of hours they already put in to English now when you factor in all sources we use.  They will also continue with R&S grammar (using it to solidify past teaching and catch them up in areas of grammar I dropped the ball in), so they are lower levels of grammar (doing 5 this year, 6 next), but since grammar is not even taught in alberta high schools as part of the English requirements I am not caring about that.  Also need to add a shakespeare play to study, and take them to a live performance of a modern play to then analyze/discuss the elements of (more fun than just reading one, which we could do, but that's a boring way to learn about a play imo).  If I find they need more help with composition next year and that what is in OM is not working they will continue with meaningful composition which we picked back up for term 2 this year after they did not do as well in their online writing class as I had hoped they would.  

So that is the 4 core subjects.  

Foreign Language: they will do french 20 - still determining materials, and daughter will finally do latin 20 and son Latin 10, this year got away from us and they are just starting those 2nd term this year so they won't finish them until the end of first term next year.

After that is Electives and those are still being decided.  IT depends if they finish all the ones they are setting out to do this year.  But so far they are planning the following ones

THrough distance learning (each of these takes them 2-4 weeks to complete, so they can do several in a year), This is their current list to be whittled down a bit as we determine what their goals are. So they will not be doing all of these though they think they can

*forensic science 25
*psychology 20
*religious studies 15 and 25
*Forests and society
*Forest Ecology in regions of Canada
*Forest use and protection
*Data Base 1
*spread sheets 1
*digital presentations
*private law
*Drama 30 (currently earning 10 and 20 with their theatre company)

Through other endeavors they will also complete

*Work experience 15 and 25 (they get 1 credit for every 25 minutes worked at a job, to a max of 5 credits per level, and since I expect them to work pt anyway, they may as well get the bonus credits on their transcript)

There is a series of wildlife courses they want, the gov't awards credits for them BUT distance learning doesn't offer them so I have to create them working from the outcomes the gov't expects them to have done.

those courses are 
*intro to wildlife
*Wildlife diversity
*People, culture and wildlife heritage
*Diversity of wildlife values
*wildlife spaces & species
*wildlife and society
*Issues in wildlife

I will create a course that encompasses all of those courses if that is the route they want to go

They will attend Hunter Education camp which not only gets them their Hunter Ed Certificate and fire arms certificate it actually gets them 2 credits in ALberta, and the bowhunting course they will take gets them 1 credit..yup this is redneck country alright.  
*hunting and game management theory
*hunting and game management practices
*Bow hunting education

Lastly rounding off the end of grade 11 they will do the fun wildlife courses of (done both through my teaching and through what they do at cadets all year)
*outdoor cooking theory
*outdoor cooking practices
*outdoor survival skills
*outdoor excursion

My province is so weird in how it handles credits and what it gives them for.  THe gov't controls all of that, so they give credits for things like hunting, fishing (we are not doing that one), camping, forestry etc, but not for things like logic, rhetoric/debate, history beyond regular social studies, environmental science(have to break it down into some of the electives, including some of those wildlife courses) etc.  And asI have explained in the past our credits are different too.  1 crdit is worth approx 25 hours worth of school work, so each of the electives I mentioned with the exception of forensic science and religious studies are worth 1 credit, which is why my kids can bang them out so fast, and the hunter's ed camp is a 1 week sleep away camp that gets them 2 credits, and the bow hunting is a 1 weekend course that gets them 1 credit.  The forensic science and religion courses are 3 credits each or roughly 75 hours each worth of school work.  COre subjects are expected to take 125 hours of course work.  Diploma exams are done at the end of 30 level core subjects, so the biology and are required to pass the grade 12 level.  Because Alberta is on a block schedule in all high schools and bio is generally taught over 2 semesters in 2 different years (same with chem and physics), if they complete a whole american bio program they are actually counted as doing 2 years of bio and can write the diploma exam.  For those not living here it sounds very complicated but it isn't.  I find my kids can get credits quite easily for electives, cores subjects are harder because although it is block scheduled the expectation within the Alberta education system is still high (Alberta is thought to have one of the best education systems in Canada).

ANyway, things are still being decided and what we are thinking today may not at all be the plan next week.  And ultimately it comes down to how the rest of this year goes, what their goals are (those have been changing again for ds recently) etc. The good part about the selection of electives is that it gives them a large selection of things to try and find their interests and strengths in.  The variety they are doing this year for grade 10 has really opened their eyes and they are looking forward to term 2 for more.  THis is good for oldest that struggles in the core subjects but excels at the electives, giving him a boost to his self esteem in regards to school work.

• Like 5

I will have a senior and a freshman next year plus a kindergartner. I also hope/plan to teach some science courses locally and online. Just the thought of next year makes my pulse race. 

The only course I am certain about right now for my senior son is Derek Owens calculus. Years ago, I had planned that he would take several sciences this year...including advanced physics (and it was going to be so much FUN solving problems with him)...but he has thrown me for a curve with an expressed interest in pursuing a possible theology degree (maybe double majoring with math). Now I am rethinking his entire senior year. I think he probably will need stronger humanities next year than I had previously planned (specifically English and history), so I feel like I am starting from scratch. 

For my freshman son, the only course I am certain about right now is the earth science course (geology) that I plan to teach to him and his buds. :-)

• Like 3

I will have a 10th grader and my plans are very tentative as we will be moving abroad.

English: Blue Tent Honors English 2 or  Medieval Literature through Kolbe

Math:  Wilson Hill Algebra 2

Science: Chemistry through Wilson Hill

Foreign Language: Latin 3 through Lukeion

Social Studies: Classical History through Lukeion

PE: Whatever we decide on

Fine Arts: local high school

Elective: Japanese 1 local high school

Edited to reflect changes in plans

• Like 3

Oh my.  I am trying to ignore next year.  I will have a freshman and a senior.  They were just babies yesterday!

Senior will take precalc, physics, English, gov't/econ, and some type of "occupational ed" class.  Some of these will be DE at the local CC, or online, or at co-op.  I am not up to teaching physics!  I want the English class to be British Lit, but local CC offers only basic English.  Any suggestions for an online British Lit class? 

Freshman will take algebra 2, bio or chem, Spanish 2, English, art or music.  Not sure if we'll put world history off till sophomore year. This child would like to take a programming class too.

• Like 2

So many great ideas!  My oldest is just in 9th grade and I'm not ready for an official plan, but some general ideas for her:

Changes are in blue.

Outside: 

Suzuki Violin

Soccer

Baseball

Lukeion courses (Greek, Myths?)

http://shop.signumuniversity.org/products-page/course-packs/philology-through-tolkien-fall-2013/

http://shop.signumuniversity.org/products-page/course-packs/taking-harry-seriously-summer-2014/

Maybe another Bravewriter class?

Language Arts:

Literature-mom designed and through above classes

Creative writing

EIL

MCT Magic Lens

Social Sciences:

Ancient History-still working on designing this one.  

Languages (her specialty):

Ancient Greek (Classical) (cont.)

Viking Languages (college text) (cont.)

Modern Norsk (cont.)

French-Breaking the Barrier and high school texts (cont.)

Latin (cont.)

Science:

No clue.  She's working through an integrated sciences college text right now. Probably Biology.

Math:

Finish some NEM or pick something else.  We haven't decided. 

I have Mathematics: Modeling Our World and AOPS that I am reading to decide about.

Art:

Tons of art as a family and with mom-we do a lot of sewing, knitting, painting, crafts.  She also started a mini business knitting washcloths for pocket money.  She's starting Oil Painting with Bob Ross and will watch The Story of Painting with Sister Wendy.  Plus she makes a full historically accurate costume every May for a reenactment-part history, part art. 

• Like 3

I've been homeschooling "since the beginning" but this is my first high schooler, so heck if I know what I'm doing. Tentative Freshman plans for math-and-language-loving dd#1:

History:  US History (Year 1 of 2) using a TC Course, America's Last Best Hope, Zinn's A People's History of the US, Critical Thinking books, etc. 

Literature:  Roughly lined up with history (TBD) American Lit using EIL, American Lit text, and WTM list(s)

Writing:  Intro to Rhetoric through WTM Academy (dropped after 3 weeks) now writing across the curriculum

Foreign Language:

Third Form Latin w/videos

Spanish II w/La Clase Divertida

Math: Geometry (Jurgensen w/Duke TIP materials)

Science:  Physics w/Derek Owens

She wants to add French.  :scared: I'd like to have her cover 1/4 credit of Art/Music or PE. If she likes Logic this semester, she might want to add Traditional Logic II.  :svengo:   Did I mention I have no idea what I'm doing?  :leaving:

• Like 5

I think we'll mainly continue doing what we've been doing.

T will take Latin 2 at Landry Academy, hopefully with the same teacher Mrs. Parnell. She really loves this class and I'm pleased with Jenney's Latin. It's solid, but it builds piece by piece.  I signed her up for this class but they've switched to Latin Alive 2.

She'll also continue with LA for a literature class, probably Intro to Literature. She's liked her English IV class (8th/9th grade using MCT and Lightning Lit 8) and I like the look of the book list for the Intro Class. They use Smarr guides which I checked out and seem very thorough.  Intro didn't work with our schedule, so she's doing Ancient Lit at Landry. She did the summer Mythology class and enjoyed it, so I think this will be a good fit.

Spanish 3 is up in the air. T likes her teacher (so do I, she has a good Caribbean Spanish accent and is very enthusiastic) but the book is BJU Spanish 3. I looked at the sample and figured it was not doable, but I'm not sure how much they actually use the book (particularly the objectionable dialogues and reading materials) versus how much they concentrate on finishing up grammar instruction. If this won't work, I will do Breaking the Barrier 3 with her. I feel ridiculous hiring a tutor when dh and I both speak Spanish at home, but we need the outside accountability of a class. There's just something about teaching your heritage language that's brings on all sorts of strange dynamics. Latin was much easier to manage even though I didn't remember it that well. The textbook is still TBA in June, but they've added Spanish 4 with Avancemos so I think they'll switch Spanish 3 too.

We'll continue with VHSG's Saxon math series. I hope it continues to work for us, but I'm ready to jump ship if I need to. We're going fairly slowly, but we haven't hit any major road blocks. T just needs time to think about the concepts and assimilate them. I add in extra problems when I think she needs extra practice. The WTM Academy's going to offer an AOPS based Algebra 1 class, and I'm going to be virtually camping out to make sure I get T a spot.  I got the spot!!!

--------------From here on out, these are mostly not hs level courses. Now there are some hs classes-----------------------

I've changed my science plans, I think. Originally, I had planned to have T do a relatively easy hs Chem class, but I'm not sure she's really ready. She's almost certainly headed into econ or business as an undergrad, so there's no reason to accelerate her science studies and do all APs in high school.  There's a Story of Science class using the Joy Hakim books that looks good at Athena's next year. There's also a one semester high school nutrition class and intro to electricity class that I think T would really enjoy at Landry. I remember loving building circuits in 8th grade. It was a high light of junior high. We'll have to see the schedules to see what she finally takes.  The Landry summer Pre-Chem class was fine, so she's going to do the regular online Chemistry class using Spectrum.

History will be the second year of Guinevere's Gifted Group's History of Us course. T loves this class. The assignments aren't super challenging, but they are usually interesting and make her think about the issues raised by historical events. Galahad is an excellent teacher. There's also a one semester civics course I think she'd like and that would nicely round out her American history studies. WTM Academy is offering middle school history courses now, so that's probably going to be our choice.  I switched to Ancient history using Roman Roads Greek Historians and Roman Historians on dvd. They're at an easier level than the Teaching Company and have worksheets and tests written for you as well as paper suggestions so I feel confident grading the course.

T will also take WWS 2 at the WTM Academy. I asked her if she wanted me to just buy the book and work through it on our own since she stresses out so much over writing her assignments. She said absolutely not, that she loved the class. Hmmm, that wasn't the impression she'd given me, but I'll take her word for it. I am very happy with her progress. She's writing much better and complaining a lot less about it!  Signed up!

T will continue with her choirs and violin lessons. They're long standing commitments that she enjoys. She'll continue tennis and skating and might try rowing. She'll also continue with the local theater group's classes and shows. They're her major social outlet along with Friday fun classes. She wanted to do an Intro to Python with Minecraft and a Raspberry Pi class, so she dropped the Friday class and signed up for the Comp Sci online classes.

All in all, we'll keep going with most of what we're doing this year. I don't think there will be any big changes until she's 16 and eligible for DE. We'll just keep putting the blocks in place slowly but surely.

• Like 2

I've been homeschooling "since the beginning" but this is my first high schooler, so heck if I know what I'm doing. Tentative Freshman plans for math-and-language-loving dd#1:

History:  US History (Year 1 of 2) using a TC Course, America's Last Best Hope, Zinn's A People's History of the US, Critical Thinking books, etc. 

Literature:  Roughly lined up with history (TBD)

Writing:  Intro to Rhetoric through WTM Academy

Foreign Language:

Science:  Physics w/Derek Owens

She wants to add French.  :scared: I'd like to have her cover 1/4 credit of Art/Music or PE. If she likes Logic this semester, she might want to add Traditional Logic II.  :svengo:   Did I mention I have no idea what I'm doing?  :leaving:

At least Art/Music or PE don't have to hard to fit in. I've been tracking my 9th grader's activities in case we want to use it for PE this year. It's surprising how quickly the hours are adding up, even though she doesn't have what I would call a particularly active lifestyle. So far, it includes time spent swimming (when we went to the beach), learning to ice skate (a friend talked her into it and she loves it, has been a few times), and hiking and camping with the Girl Scouts (they have had one trip, two others planned). We are also planning on CPR/first aid re-certification (through Girl Scouts), a few bike rides/simple bike maintenance (our church is organizing this as a fun activity after service a few Sundays), and hopefully a 4 week intro to archery class, along with more of the other activities listed. These are primarily things she's doing anyway, not something we've added on for special PE credit. I'm trying to keep her martial arts (aikido) separate as an extracurricular.

• Like 2

I will go from 4 students down to 1 next year, with just an 11th grader at home.  He wants in-person classes as much as possible, making these decisions hard.  He does not want to go to ps.

Math - there is a local homeschool class that may have PreCalc (not always offerred), but it will be Saxon, which he did not do well with (at least around 5th grade).  No idea of the quality.

Science - there is a local homeschool physics class (Apologia).  No idea of the quality.

English - will probably need an online course, preferably one with lots of discussion

Social Studies - thinking of allowing him not to take for one year?  He's done 2 years of US & World (BF), and doesn't want to take government. I am not seeing anything I know would interest him, though he's really enjoyed his history thus far.  If I could find an enticing online class, that would be an option.

Electives - AP Computer Science, perhaps?  He thinks he knows it all...it would be good to get credit for his knowledge.

continue to French 3, online?  (I don't think he really wants to...just trying to think what would be useful to prepare him for university.)

I would love suggestions!

• Like 1

DD will be a senior next year.  :blink:  

She has to finish up some DE courses in the fall (Government, Physics, Jazz Appreciation, American Lit) and then hopes to take all Theatre classes in the spring. We have to get a second sign language in there too - either through the local university or self-study.

And then we're done ...

• Like 1

History: US History (Year 1 of 2) using a TC Course, America's Last Best Hope, Zinn's A People's History of the US, Critical Thinking books, etc.

Literature: Roughly lined up with history (TBD)

Writing: Intro to Rhetoric through WTM Academy

Foreign Language:

Science: Physics w/Derek Owens

She wants to add French. :scared: I'd like to have her cover 1/4 credit of Art/Music or PE. If she likes Logic this semester, she might want to add Traditional Logic II. :svengo: Did I mention I have no idea what I'm doing? :leaving:

RootAnn,

I'm curious to know how you will use your US History resources? How are you planning to assign readings and/or add assignments for accountability?

We are also going to do US1 in 9th and US2 in 10th.

Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

• Like 1

Tentative 9th Grade plan:

English:  Grammar (Easy Grammar Grade 9) and selections from Lee BinzĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Reluctant Readers High School Book List
Math:  Algebra II (Saxon Algebra 2 - 3rd edition) or Life of Fred Advanced Algebra into LoF Geometry
Science:  Biology (Holt-McDougal Biology Interactive Online Edition)  Apologia Biology w/microscope and labs
Social Studies:   World History  (Short Lessons in World History, 4th edition)  History of the Ancient World into History of the Medieval World
Foreign Language:  Spanish   -  not sure yet  Easy Spanish Step-by-Step
Various extras/electives/etc:  PSAT prep, Parkour, Weight training, Science apprenticeship, Computer applications & networking, Art & music appreciation, Logic, and a whole lotta field trips and homeschool group classes. 

Edited on 3/15/15.  Probably will change things again before the summer.   :001_unsure:
  • Like 2

Eesh :eek:

10th grade

Arabic 2 from Potter's School. Yes, a Christian provider for my decidedly secular daughter. She loves the current Arabic 1, really enjoys the class dynamic, the language, the assignments, and Mrs. Azeez, and has a 99.8% in the class. She may continue through Arabic 3, depending on the Christian content. If not, she'll switch to the university (they use the same books).

Do you mind sharing what books they are using?  My boys are using Arabic for Life right now.

I will go from 4 students down to 1 next year, with just an 11th grader at home.  He wants in-person classes as much as possible, making these decisions hard.  He does not want to go to ps.

Math - there is a local homeschool class that may have PreCalc (not always offerred), but it will be Saxon, which he did not do well with (at least around 5th grade).  No idea of the quality.

Science - there is a local homeschool physics class (Apologia).  No idea of the quality.

English - will probably need an online course, preferably one with lots of discussion

Social Studies - thinking of allowing him not to take for one year?  He's done 2 years of US & World (BF), and doesn't want to take government. I am not seeing anything I know would interest him, though he's really enjoyed his history thus far.  If I could find an enticing online class, that would be an option.

Electives - AP Computer Science, perhaps?  He thinks he knows it all...it would be good to get credit for his knowledge.

continue to French 3, online?  (I don't think he really wants to...just trying to think what would be useful to prepare him for university.)

I would love suggestions!

Last year for SS my son used online Coursera classes in Economics.  They were interesting and not overly onerous.  

Here is a link to the prof's page on coursera.  He has a micro and macro class but I see none are scheduled at the moment.  

https://www.coursera.org/instructor/~773

• Like 1

My dd will be a freshman.  This is my current plan:

Math:  Horizons Algebra and BJU Geometry

History:  History of the Ancient World by SWB

Science:  Quirks and Quarks Biology

English:  Grammar:  Maybe Grammar Island for the big picture she never understood, following by Abeka Grammar and Comp I

Writing:  Writing with Skill 1

Spelling:  Megawords?

Misc. Lit:  BJU Fundamentals of Lit

Elective:  Classical Mythology

Fine Arts:  Drama 

Foreign Language:  Abeka French 1

• Like 2

I'll be down to one next year too. My youngest will be an 11th grader, although she is considering graduating a year early, so it could even be her senior year. Our plan is:

CC:

College Algebra

Trigonometry

Sign Language 2 & 3

Home:

American Literature - EIL

Physics - Waiting on that physics thread before I make a decision :)

ETA: I'm leaning toward Derek Owens for Physics

Anatomy & Physiology - Apologia (I wish there was another option but this child does much better with an actual curriculum package not a text and self directed learning of any type)

Government - If she decides to graduate early we'll throw in .5 credit in the spring. Probably Notgrass because I have it. 

• Like 1

RootAnn,

I'm curious to know how you will use your US History resources? How are you planning to assign readings and/or add assignments for accountability?

We are also going to do US1 in 9th and US2 in 10th.

Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€°

I would love to share. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a plan yet. Summer is when I do most of my planning. I know that Year 1 will be a lot of discussion & debating while Year 2 will include a lot more writing, including some of the past writing prompts from the AP exam. Bennett's book will be my spine & Zinn's will be my foil to help her think about things from a different perspective. I have a couple of the Critical Thinking books already & Funda Funda's suggestions for which assignments to use when. The TC course will be woven throughout as well. But I have no details yet. 

• Like 2

Yay, I will have an official high schooler this fall, so I get to participate in this thread.

Social Science: 

American History (Sonlight 100 and 2 CLEP tests)

World Regional Geography (online DE through a 4-yr uni)

English: American Literature (Sonlight 400)

Bible: Sonlight 100

Math: Continue with Geometry and then Algebra II (Khan Academy)

Science: Chemistry (Apologia)

Foreign Language (or as they are now calling it in Texas, "Language Other Than English"): Spanish II (allinonehighschool.com)

Fine Arts: Theater Appreciation (online DE thru 4-yr uni), and continue with piano; she also does origami for fun

Driver's Ed (yikes!)

Extracurriculars: Veterinary Science 4-H club, homeschool track club, youth group

• Like 3

My youngest will be a senior next year. 

She took English I at the cc over the summer and took English II at the cc in spring semester. She is going to take a LIterature of Graphic Novels course that I have to plan out for next year. She will do the writing with a tutor.

She needs a 4th science, so she will take her 4th science at the cc and it will be a lab science. She took a biology class at the cc in fall semester, but it didn't have a lab component.

She will take Math for Business at the cc. It is college algebra with a business slant and is good as a precursor to business calculus.

She is taking government at the cc this summer in a 6-week session because she will be going to New York for a summer fashion lab the week after the 6-week session ends.

She has not yet done health or personal finance, so I will have her work through those.

If anybody has any ideas for a great health program that is more of a personal wellness thing rather than a textbook, I'd love to know about it.

She is working on French at home using Fluenz, but she will take French at the cc next schoolyear.

(post has been edited to reflect changes in plans)

• Like 1

I can't believe I am here.  DS starts 9th grade in 1 week! 

DS is a specialist and I have had to work hard to get him the time he needs for his math.  In NZ, we don't have credits that are required like in the USA, but in case ds gets offers from international universities, I am trying to cover all the bases.

Math!!!  And how!

AoPS precalc with class

Finishing AoPS Olympiad geometry

AoPS calculus self study

AoPS WOOF

NZ Math Olympiad Squad training

British MO2, Australian MO, Asia-Pacific MO

The following do not need to be full credits like in the USA.  DS only has to work towards the 12th grade exams.

Physics: Year 2 of Knight's College Physics. External exam in November.

Violin: with a tutor using ABRSM and working towards grade 8. Trio and String Group.

Mandarin: with a tutor using Boya2.

English: homegrown.  Gothic/horror literature.  They Say: I Say.  First third of The Language of Composition.

Ancient History: homegrown. TTC lectures, Homer, reading and discussion with dad.

PE: Badminton, Wing Tsun.

This is going to be an incredibly busy year.  I am going to work hard to help him find time to have fun.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 4

Middle dd will be a senior next year. She is done with her high school requirements after this semester, but didn't want to move on to college yet, so next year will be interesting. She will take DE courses mostly. The only math she has left is offered second semester, so we are trying to figure out math for first.

1st semester:

Math (Statistics, or independent study in something related to aerospace and math, or online course of some sort)

Chem 1 (CC)

Physics 2 (CC)

Logic or History of Philosophy or Psychology (CC)

2nd semester:

Differential Equations (CC)

Chem 2 (CC)

Shakesepeare (CC)

Senior project (home)

She will probably continue to do band at the PS (they pay for the DE classes as long as she has that one class at the school, and all her friends are in band.)

• Like 2

Our plan for 11 th grade will hinge on daughter's health. I feel a little under the gun as if she can do it, she wants to graduate after grade 11 and participate in a guarteed transfer program to our State U. She might not have the SAT score to get in otherwise, as it is pretty high .

Science: right now it looks like she may still be finishing Apologia Physics, and has 2 modules from Chemistry along with some Spectrum labs to complete. After that, I will teach her some Bio out of the book they use here at the CC to review concepts. She has taken Apologia Bio, but didn't get far with A&P. We will do the labs for A&P and take some of the homeschool connection classes on A&P if there is time. Lots of lab days in the summer.

Math: Advanced Math Saxon and/or CC book on Buisness Calc

Lit: We'll have some fun doing Shakespeare, maybe all year . Love the Homeschool connection lectures and Mrs. sperry on utube. She'll do some lit analysis with home2teach. Finish Anyalitcal Grammar if we still haven't finished.

American Government - I'll piece together some fun stuff here. Probably using Homeschool connections, and using the election year .

Latin - doneĂ°Å¸ËœÆ’. She had a difficult time, and more than two years is not required at her state u.

Hopefully we can get it done.

• Like 1

Hoo boy ... time to hold on to my hat!

DS will be a 9th grader.

I have a lot of gaps and questions, but here's the skeleton:

Math: Algebra 2 (Khan, AOPS, LOF)

Lit/History:  Renaissance to 1750 - maybe Spielvogel, maybe Annenberg, maybe TTC's Western Civ II ...  It's also quite possible I'll separate lit from history and just read, read, read (and write!).  I also have MCT and some LOF English language books I want to squeeze in.

Science: Biology.  I'm leaning toward Miller/Levine, but haven't decided whether to use dragonfly or macaw.  Part of me wants Campbell's C&C, but I think we need bio to be relatively low-key.  Oh, I have to figure out labs, too.  I'm thinking of sticking with non-dissection labs only.

Spanish I: Continue Madrigal's, and/or choose an online provider (probably via Skype) for discussion practice.

Art:  Probably continue following his interests. 

PE/Health

And here is where it really gets muddy:  Electives.  I don't think DS will be the one to elect any of the 3 elective slots this year!  LOL. 

* I think he'd love the self-paced online engineering class through Auburn U.  I believe it is intended to be a one-year course.

*  I want to do a semester of logic and a semester of philosophy (probably continuing into soph year for another semester each)

* I'd love to have do AP Human Geography with PA Homeschoolers, but I'm afraid the workload will be too heavy along with everything else.  I'm leaning toward one semester of stuff I cobble together myself ... but I keep thinking wistfully of the PA HS.  I know he would learn so much more.  I will probably make this DS's choice (but I'm sure he will choose the least amount of work!).

* I really want to make my own half-credit Interdisciplinary Special Topics courses, but I will have to discuss this with DS.  My favorite idea for freshman year is "The Creative Process."

So ... too many courses, not enough time.

Oh, and he'll probably start drivers ed next spring/summer.

ETA:  I am, of course, receptive to any and all comments/opinions/rescue-efforts.  ;)

• Like 3

* I'd love to have do AP Human Geography with PA Homeschoolers, but I'm afraid the workload will be too heavy along with everything else. I'm leaning toward one semester of stuff I cobble together myself ... but I keep thinking wistfully of the PA HS. I know he would learn so much more. I will probably make this DS's choice (but I'm sure he will choose the least amount of work!).

I have an AP Human Geography syllabus (approved) that I could share with you, if you'd like. The assessments and other assignments are scheduled but not included in the syllabus.

• Like 2

DS will be in 9th grade next year.  Like many who have gone before me, I never planned to homeschool high school.  But here we are!  I am elated and nervous :)

What I know so far:

The plan is to register with Clonlara. 

Math:  Either Geometry or we will opt for an officially Integrated Math sequence that we will integrate ourselves.

History:  World History Part One.  I am planning for two years of World History with the SAT Subject Test and possibly the AP World History test at the end of 10th.

Geography:  Probably a 1/2 credit of Homegrown Geography spread over two years., but I want to take a look at Luckymama's AP Human Geography if she will be kind enough to send it to me, too.

English:  Homegrown.  Content TBD.

Science:  Biology.  Leaning towards Miller / Levine.  SAT Subject test?  I am worried about labs because I have a really hard time gathering supplies here and I am not sure if I will be allowed to ship in lab kits.  Working hard on this one now...

Latin:  Latin 2 with Harvey Center

Danish:  Continuing with tutor and other resources.  I don't know what to call the class.  I probably will call it Danish 2.

Elective(s):  ??????????  He wants something for Programming and we need to figure out how to spread PE and Fine Arts credits out over the years.

Extracurriculars:  Except for continuing to swim, DS wants to make some changes.  I agree that he should make some changes, and I really have to do some research and help him find some new opportunities.

• Like 1

DS will be in 9th grade next year. Like many who have gone before me, I never planned to homeschool high school. But here we are! I am elated and nervous

Science: Biology. Leaning towards Miller / Levine. SAT Subject test? I am worried about labs because I have a really hard time gathering supplies here and I am not sure if I will be allowed to ship in lab kits. Working hard on this one

What labsupplies are you looking for?

In the Netherlands you can buy labequipment online or at pharmacies/drugstores.

But we have mostly labs at chemistry.

DS will be in 9th grade next year. Like many who have gone before me, I never planned to homeschool high school. But here we are! I am elated and nervous

Science: Biology. Leaning towards Miller / Levine. SAT Subject test? I am worried about labs because I have a really hard time gathering supplies here and I am not sure if I will be allowed to ship in lab kits. Working hard on this one

What labsupplies are you looking for?

In the Netherlands you can buy labequipment online or at pharmacies/drugstores.

But we have mostly labs at chemistry.

Next year I only have two students left, and one will be a senior. My how time flies!

For the senior - AP Calculus (not certain how we will manage testing due to TARC Finals, and since he will be team captain, he must be there for the briefing meeting so we may have to fly him into D.C.), Anatomy and Physiology, Oceanography and Marine Biology, English IV, an online CC history class (TBD as we haven't yet seen the first semester course listings), Danish I as a follow up to the two years of Icelandic for which we have not found enough resources to create a third credit, and that's it. College applications and visits will keep us busy. He'll have 22 homeschooling credits, and 3 college credits.

For the sophomore, Practical Drafting, Algebra 2 (one semester) followed by Pre-Calculus (which he may or may not complete in one semester or finish over the summer, his choice), French or Russian 1 (he hasn't decided yet), English II (includes literature and writing), World History, Astronomy, and Chemistry.

I have very little to purchase as their older brother covered much of this recently so we already have the lectures and texts. I think my main lesson planning is in foreign language, and the Oceanography and Marine Biology. My mil, a retired nursing professor, is taking over A & P for me which I am very grateful for, and it's really fun to have a 79 year old granny excited to be involved in homeschooling a grandchild. She's still so sharp on the medical end despite her retirement, and she just loves to teach A & P.

After that, I'll be down to one, and he is going to do a lot of online DE from the good CC his junior and senior year leaving me mostly with foreign language and English/Lit/Writing to plan for so it's winding down, and I have to tell you, I have this flutter in my belly over this. On the one hand, excited to consider going back into the work force and spending time with DH, being able to travel more freely, etc. but on the other hand, already missing my kids and this wonderful time we have had together.

Then again, three out of four years...college applications, and FASFA which actually won't end until that last one gets out...eight years of FASFA! BLECH!!!!!!!

• Like 2

(snip)

For the senior - AP Calculus (not certain how we will manage testing due to TARC Finals, and since he will be team captain, he must be there for the briefing meeting so we may have to fly him into D.C.), Anatomy and Physiology, Oceanography and Marine Biology, English IV, an online CC history class (TBD as we haven't yet seen the first semester course listings), Danish I as a follow up to the two years of Icelandic for which we have not found enough resources to create a third credit, and that's it. College applications and visits will keep us busy. He'll have 22 homeschooling credits, and 3 college credits.

(snip)

FaithManor,  if you need help finding resources for Danish, let me know.  I have a list a mile long and would be glad to help :)

loesje22000, I don't even know what I am looking for yet.  It is just that read about these lab kits filled with chemicals (even for biology - the Home Scientist comes to mind) and I don't know if how I am going to find supplies on my own.  So far I have a microscope though!!

My oldest will be in 9th grade next year, and she wants to keep homeschooling, so here we are. Eeeek! I'm still in an early planning stage, but here's where I'm at right now:

Math: Saxon Algebra 2

Language Arts: We did FLL 1-4, then Hake 5-8, and her grammar is SOLID. I'll probably have her do Easy Grammar or Daily Grams to keep familiar with mechanics, plus the Lively Art of Writing, plus Literature Studies to tie in with History

History: World History 1. My plan is to cover World History in 2 years, using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey as a spine. Ideally, I'll create a mini-version of a Great Books study. Still figuring this out. Will probably add some geography in here too.

Science: Other than RegularDad, we're not very science-oriented here at my place. We're more language/history/creative arts types. I'm thinking about High School Biology in Your Home by Bridget Ardoin. It's secular, which is a must for us, it's scripted for me and it has labs. I found it in the Biology thread up top in here. Has anyone used this? Any suggestions or recommendations? Will that suffice for a proper high school biology course? I still haven't ruled out out-sourcing our science, but she's taking so many other classes outside already, I'm worried about scheduling.

Logic/Rhetoric: Haven't decided yet. She's done Critical Thinking Books 1 and 2, Traditional Logic 1 and will finish up Traditional Logic 2 by the end of this year, if all goes according to plan. Not sure where to go from there just yet.

Foreign Language: We've been doing Latin since 2nd grade. She'll finish Third Form Latin this year. I'm thinking about switching to Henle instead of doing 4th Form. But I'm also considering stopping Latin and trying French. Every year, we try to do some French and it falls through the cracks. Ideally, we'd do both, but it just never seems to happen. sigh...

Electives: tons of those. She does an enrichment day once a week that will continue through high school. She gets art and music classes there, plus she takes extra music, drama, dance, singing classes at the local conservatory. She'll also be eligible for dual enrollment classes at the community college. I figured she ought to choose electives to start out there, just in case there's an adjustment period to taking college level classes. All that stuff combined will cover elective credits quite well.

PE: She skis, does yoga, and has been taking archery classes. Not sure if I need to add much else there.

Trying not to freak out too much about next year....  any advice is always appreciated. :)

• Like 1

Plans are pretty tentative, but I am outsourcing a lot for 9th grade:

Grammar: Rod & Staff

Writing: High School Comp II w/ Memoria Press (Classical Composition)

Math: Algebra I--not sure where yet. Next year, 10th grade, we hope to sign him up with Polymath Classical. He really likes this teacher in his HS Comp I class through MP, and will probably take a summer course there this year.

Science: Possibly Physics through Memoria Press.

Latin: Henle Latin or CAP's Latin Alive series are the two contenders. Depending on which way he decides to go, we will likely have him take a class through Memoria Press, Wilson Hill, or Schole Academy.

History: Undecided, but looking into an AP American History course w/ Memoria Press. Haven't spoken to anyone there yet about whether the workload will be too much for a 9th grader on the young side, though. If not that, probably a Great Conversation/Great Books somewhere else.

He also wants to take a Java programming class, so we are looking into that. I may throw in some other things, such as literature assignments and logic, but trying to keep it simple going in. I'm not sure 5 online classes right off the bat achieves that, however. :)  I think 9th grade will be a crash course in time management.

• Like 1

I have a 9th grader next year....  :svengo:

Math- we'll be starting Algebra 2 and finishing Geometry (not sure of the scheduling, may stretch it out for 1.5 yrs) probably use something like A Fresh Approach because we NEED a worktext style math 

Science- Not sure but I'm leaning toward an Earth/Environmental Science using the Pearson i-textbook and some stuff I pull together

Soc. Studies- World Geography using another i-textbook because they're cool and I have to justify the cost of the new ipad. Also might include TGC Geography lectures

Language Arts- I have no idea.  I like the IEW stuff but I don't like the $.  We'll be done with grammar but due to his LD's we'll keep up with spelling (phonetic Zoo) and do as much reading as we can but not sure what exactly.....

Spanish- Breaking the Barrier

Health and PE- we'll focus on Nutrition and actual physiological health/disease.

Updated June

Plans are starting to come together.....

Earth Science- using Tarbuck and a bunch of videos we'll pay extra attention to the Environment and our impact on it. I also want DS to read Journey to the Center of the Earth for fun.

Human Geography- We're going to use Rubenstien's The Cultural Landscape as well as a bunch of videos. 

I'll have him read Longitude and Around the World in 80 Days (I remember around the world was a bit hard to get through, kind of boring.  We may just watch the movie  :leaving: ).

Math- we slowed way down after christmas and dropped the Geometry entirely.  So we still have some Alg. 1 to finish before we pick up the Geometry again.  I really need to see about getting a tutor, I'm just not up to daily Math and I don't get a lot of it (DS often has to explain it to me).

English 9- Someone suggested Adventures in Fantasy and both my kids are totally on board to read (maximum of 10 books, I promised) and write fantasy fiction, so we're going to give it a try. 

Still doing Spanish using BtB

Health and PE not sure if there's a curriculum that would work for what I want but I haven't really researched it much yet.

That's 6 credits and I am so not freaking out any more.... okay, maybe a little.

Next year is only tentatively planned, as we have to wait a bit to see if certain things are going to be offered.

I will be down to just my two juniors. They may or may not dual enroll, and I will be attending college full time, so we have to streamline where we can.

English: EIL with possible added lit.

Math: I have one that is just trying to find her quickest route into CC and their culinary program, she will be doing TT Alg. 2. Her sister is planning on heading into a STEM major and will be doing Ask Dr. Callahan Algebra II to prep for taking the rest of her math at CC, most likely.

Science: Chemistry at co-op

other things that are undecided: electives, American Government, etc. I really need to sit down and take a good look at the credits they still need. Our plans have shifted around so much over the past 6 months, I've forgotten all our carefully plotted out high school Courses.

I have a 9th grader next year....  :svengo:

Math- we'll be starting Algebra 2 and finishing Geometry (not sure of the scheduling, may stretch it out for 1.5 yrs) probably use something like A Fresh Approach because we NEED a worktext style math 

Science- Not sure but I'm leaning toward an Earth/Environmental Science using the Pearson i-textbook and some stuff I pull together

Soc. Studies- World Geography using another i-textbook because they're cool and I have to justify the cost of the new ipad. Also might include TGC Geography lectures

Language Arts- I have no idea.  I like the IEW stuff but I don't like the $.  We'll be done with grammar but due to his LD's we'll keep up with spelling (phonetic Zoo) and do as much reading as we can but not sure what exactly.....

Spanish- Breaking the Barrier

Health and PE- we'll focus on Nutrition and actual physiological health/disease.

foxbridgeacademy, maybe take a look at the Cambridge IGCSE Geography textbooks that are available through iTunes.  There are three books for the three themes:  (1) Population and Settlement, (2) Natural Environment and (3) Economic Development and the Use of Resources.  What I like about these books is the emphasis on diagram and data analysis.

My mil, a retired nursing professor, is taking over A & P for me which I am very grateful for, and it's really fun to have a 79 year old granny excited to be involved in homeschooling a grandchild. She's still so sharp on the medical end despite her retirement, and she just loves to teach A & P.

Can I just say I'm really jealous on this one Faith! I've been looking forward to teaching A&P for years, and now that it is finally here I feel inadequate and wish there was someone that could do it for me.