Menu

2015-16 school year plans

My 10th grader will be doing:

Medieval World History - doing MOH with all the rest of us, adding in some Annenberg Western Tradition lectures, chapters from Handbook of Today's Religions, parts of BJU Cultural Geography

Language - EIL units on Don Quixote, The Tempest, Inferno, and Death Comes for the Archbishop (not Medieval, I know, but he thought the title sounded interesting and wanted to read it lol), AG reinforcements book to keep his grammar skills sharp, finish up Vocab from Classical Roots, go through Writer's Handbook with me filling in gaps of various types of writing he hasn't done yet

Chalkdust Precalculus

Apologia Chemistry

Spanish II - either Virtual Link Level 2 or maybe trying Destinos, not sure

Total Health & A Young Man After God's Own Heart (.5 credit)

Elective (.5 credit) - not sure yet but I imagine he'll lean towards more programming, maybe C# with Teencoder, although he might surprise me and go with something totally different

PE - we do PE once a week with the private school our church runs for .25 credit each year

Piano

This is what I am tentatively REALLY doing for LEGOManiac (10th):

(Editied)
English -- WTMA Intro to Rhetoric w/ Homeschool Connections Writing and Vocabulary (focusing on the vocab, not the writing)

American Literature -- (mine), list of books, some movies, and 4 studies -- 2 per semester.
History -- AP US History (mine), put together with the books from Paul Johnson, K12 American Odyssey, and William Bennett's books, lectures from Homeschool Connections and a couple of videos.  Not tons of writing in this one, mostly practice AP essays, and a few others, and we'll be working with a prep book)
AP Chem -- Homeschool Connections (okay, Advanced Chem)
Pre-Calculus -- Chalkdust, prep for Math 2 Subject Exam
Russian 2 -- A Basic Russian Course (online...put together by some profs at UCLA)
Electives...Robotics and Digital Photography at the school

Tests: PSAT, ACT w/Writing, AP USH, AP CHEM, Math 2 Subject Test, English Subject Test, and Chemistry Subject Test, possibly History subject test. This should get all of the potentially required subject tests out of the way.

PonyGirl is technically 8th, but is doing all high school level work. Next year, she will do:

English: Same as LEGOManiac

Literature -- World Literature 2 (mine, coincides with history)
History: Age of Exploration through Modern Times (mine)
Math: right now, she's finishing up LoF Advanced Algebra, Advanced Geometry and Trigonometry.  I hope to have the AoPS Counting & Probability and Number Theory books in hand once she's done with Fred.  Alternate plan is to move her onto Precalculus using same books as her brother.
Science: AP Chemistry -- Homeschool Connections with brother.
German 1 -- Homeschool Connections
Electives -- AHG Badgework, Speech and Debate (maybe)

Tests: ACT w/ writing, AP Chemistry.

• Like 2

Tentative schedule for my first child in high school...

9th grade

- DO Geometry - probably starting early April this year (whenever she finishes Algebra 1)  I think I'm going to go with Jurgensen geometry and maybe use Duke TIP or Thinkwell videos to supplement - still considering options.

- DO Physics

- OM Integrated Health and Fitness

- AP Human Geography with PA Homeschoolers

- Lit/Writing - homegrown - use some EIL units and other random novels

- Latin - local class (continue)

- Spanish - continue informal ongoing class - more extracurricular - probably won't use on transcript

My ds(13) will be a 9th grader next year.  This is what I am planning on using for him.....

Heart of Dakota World Geography -  This includes World Geography, World Religions & Cultures, Bible, Lit./English, Spanish, & Logic

BJU Physical Science DLO

Teaching Textbooks Algebra

Sequential Spelling

Not sure what grade we are doing, probably 10th.  :confused1:

Math:  Algebra 2 (TT)

English:  Online English 2

Science:  AP Bio (Campbell) & AP Chem (Brown/LaMay)

History: AP World (Strayer)

Elective:  Online AP Comp Science A

She wants to do AP Psych, but we will probably hold off on that until next year.

Foreign Languages, PE, and fine arts are all done.

Middle Child will be a senior next year. Still thinking through the plan.  May try to get some of this done over the summer.

English:  World Literature (required to check a box for our homeschool charter school; she already has AP English Lit and AP English Lang, plus Advanced Composition, so I'm mildly annoyed by this one.  Not sure of curric yet)

Math:  Torn between AP Stats (perhaps thru AP Homeschoolers) or math at the local university (she's currently in Calc 3 there)

Science:  She'd like to do an AP Physics class of some flavor, but I think computer science would be useful too.  Hmmm.

Social Studies:  1 semester state history and 1 semester Econ is required for grad at the charter school.  Not sure of provider for either, but definitely planning to keep the state history course light.  Maybe AP Macroecon thru AP Homeschoolers (I think that's a 2 semester course, which would be fine), or a Thinkwell course.

Language:  continuing Mandarin, either with the tutor, or possibly doing an AP Chinese course online.  Maybe utilize both resources.

She will likely want to continue orchestra, which she does as an individual class at the local high school.

She has an overly full schedule of outside activities:  2 major sports, volunteer tutoring, private piano and violin study, a part time job, church involvement.  I think a public speaking class would be nice prior to college, but don't see how that will happen realistically.

• 2 weeks later...

Making some changes already! Sure wish I could change text color on the ipad---that would be easier!

10th grade

Arabic 2 from Potter's School. Yes, a Christian provider for my decidedly secular daughter. She loves the current Arabic 1, really enjoys the class dynamic, the language, the assignments, and Mrs. Azeez, and has a 99.8% in the class. She may continue through Arabic 3, depending on the Christian content. If not, she'll switch to the university (they use the same books).

I thought this was the definite :lol:

Dd will now be spending four weeks at Concordia Language Villages this summer, earning another credit in Arabic. She will start taking Arabic at the university in the fall, but we won't know which level until after the camp finishes in mid-August.

AP Psychology I'll write a syllabus for College Board approval. Dnephew may join dd, as he is doing for AP Human Geography this year (he's in public high school across town).

Same

Calculus at the in-town state flagship university. She wants a physical class for calculus. We had planned on AoPS calculus with the AP BC test (as others have done), but she wants an unrelated (:lol:) in-person teacher. Kind of sad at ending my math teaching career.

In order to do the Arabic, she has given up on the university calculus this year. She'll do AP Calc with me or Derek Owens, not AoPS.

She really wants AP Environmental Science (based on Science Olympiad studying and events over the years) but I thinks she should have proper Biology first. Of course, she may already have enough bio for APES. So that's up in the air. (Edited to add: hmm, we could probably do both! I could write an APES syllabus and teach it, and we could use something like Kolbe's syllabus for bio...)

It's both! Thinking Miller-Levine 'macaw' ipad edition with the Kolbe syllabus (if the new version is out by then) for first semester, and AP Envi Sci for the second. (Both in January because she won't have Arabic during the university's winter session.)

English is a big decision. I don't know if she'll be ready for AP. If she is, she wouldn't be able to stay with Blue Tent since they limit classes to 11th and 12th graders. She could do PA Homeschoolers AP Lang, I guess. Or she could take one of Lukeions's classes---the ancient lit or the mythology ones. Any way, I will be outsourcing this subject!

And then we have history to decide! It will either be a chronological continuation with medieval OR a more-in-depth focus on a particular civilization (or civilizations) during the ancient period, since that is what really appeals to dd.

Ballet will be her all-consuming extracurricular :)

Driver's ed will be taken the summer after 10th grade, free through the state.

English and history are still under consideration. I forgot to list Science Olympiad as another extracurricular. And next year she wants to try NACLO (North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad)---she had a conflict on the prelim day for this year.

• Like 2

New territory for me...my oldest is in 10th grade this year so I am still learning!   :blink:

Tentative plan:

History Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Cultural Anth. & Economics dual enrollment

Literature Ă¢â‚¬â€œ Composition dual enrollment & Ancients- finishing up along with Rome & Greece great books

Pre-Calculus- Derek Owens 

Physics - Derek Owens 

AP Latin -  Wilson Hill  

German I finish & start German 2 Rosetta Stone

Health/PE- deciding on text

Bible Ă¢â‚¬â€œ OT survey finishing up using various books

Outside: possibly debate but he is so consumed in several different worship bands at church this is probably all he will do beside other church functions

So very tentative for 9th...

Math: Geometry (online)

English: Finishing WWS 2, Lit study, Vocab OR just hand it over to somebody else (maybe Blue Tent?) Hesitating on handing it over because spelling remains a huge challenge for this child, and we have seen some great progress over the last year and I don't want to it to become really overwhelming suddenly. This would be my last year of teaching English for this child, so I kind of want to spend it talking about our selected books and really focusing on the areas I know still need growth, but I have three other kids, so that may be a pipe dream...

Science: Miller-Levine Bio w/ Kolbe syllabus, if they get the Macaw aligned one completed

History: OM World Geography

Spanish: La Clase Divertida (Anyone know if this is happening? I emailed, but haven't heard back) or we may do this locally. We have been working on Latin since 6th grade, and this child is eager to give Spanish a go!

Health/PE: We will work on Health this summer and PE will be on going. I have a plan for PE where some different lessons are taken, a physical activity journal is kept, exposure to some different life long physical activities are given and participation on the club swimming team this summer. 

Elective: considering a semester of Art Appreciation and a semester of Creative Writing

This child does not have a lot of extra curricular activities, although there is some volunteer work and theatre troop participation. We keep waiting for something to ignite, but it hasn't happened yet. 

• Like 2

Spanish: La Clase Divertida (Anyone know if this is happening? I emailed, but haven't heard back) or we may do this locally. We have been working on Latin since 6th grade, and this child is eager to give Spanish a go!

I just heard from him last week (he is not e-mail savvy so it usually takes quite a while to hear back from him) and he is still working on putting class schedules together for next year. 

My oldest is in his Spanish 3 class.  DS says, he asks the spanish 2 students their preferred time (since there is only one spanish 3 class, he tries to accommodate as many returning students as possible) and then builds his schedule from there.  Other years it was usually the end of February when we got the schedule options for the next year, so I'm assuming a similar time frame.

• Like 1

Buck is only a sophomore next year, but he wants to either go back full-time to B&M his junior year, or part time with a college class or two.

I'm feeling a *lot* of pressure to get him ready to be back in a place where he has to wear real pants in history class...

And for school next year?

History/lit will be fall-of-Rome-to-renaissance range. Math is pre-calc/trig. Science is biology? (Maybe? He needs three lab classes, did chem this year, but *wants* to do physics next yr)

Auto Shop has become an easy fill as he's forever working on a vehicle. Wood Shop is equally easy since he helps me with the house I'm building.

And that's what I have "organized" so far.

*sigh*

• Like 3

I love these threads! I will have a Senior and a Sophomore next year.

12th grader who is looking to get into FIT for Fashion Design, with the CC as her back-up option. Or a job.

Math - however far she can get with ALEKS

English - I am planning a year of mostly non-fiction to go with her Social Studies. I am considering some Anthologies from Perfection Learning on Government, Liberty, and Justice. Grammar and vocabulary review with ?? For Writing I am considering a book I have seen recommended here a few tines - They Say, I Say.

Economics 1 semester - still looking at textbooks. I'll choose one and add some additional interesting reading. She wants to see a few different viewpoints, so I am thinking of books like Nickeled and Dimed in America and Whatever happened to Penny Candy. Maybe something by Michael Moore and something by Glenn Beck, lol.

Government 1 semester - Probably Great Source American Government with additional reading from different povs - The Communist Manifesto and The Law, etc. Some current events - I am thinking a written response to an article of her choice once a week from The Wall Street Journal/The New York Times.

Science 1 semester - I am working up a plan for Chemistry and a plan for Astronomy and she will choose the one she likes better.

PE - required by NY State. she walks and does Yoga at home.

Elective - More Fashion. She takes summer and weekend classes at FIT and will be working on her portfolio all fall.

10th grader

Math - Geometry. Not sure which program. Leaning towards Jacobs, but I am not sure.

English. Grammar review - either Killgallon's High School Grammar or Stewart English B - Grammar Plus. Vocabulary for the High School Student - Amsco. Writing - is a nightmare with him. I am planning to try a Write at Home Workshop this spring and then see where we are for next year. Literature - working on a list tied to History - 1800 to the present.

History - Global History 2 Barron's. 2nd volume of a program that I really dislike...but he wants to finish it. I am working on a list of additional non-fiction to beef it up. a Term paper.

Science - Biology. At this point I am thinking the DIVE cd with a secular text, maybe Holt. Lab at home with the DIVE Kit. Borrowing a microscope for the year.

Spanish 1 - Keep changing my mind on this one. A lot depends on finances - If we can swing an online course, I would like to spend the money here.

Art History - 1/4 credit (he is doing the first half this year) The Annotated Mona Lisa with several museum trips and some writing.

PE - Swimming and PT/daily exercise - he has scoliosis and wears a brace so we take this pretty seriously.

Coop -Our coop offers 2 classes each semester. The first will probably be Debate again - I hope so! The second is less challenging but he will do whatever it is - I teach it, so he can have a little input. I am thinking Personal Finance or a Book Club. We'll see.

I will have a 10th and 11th grader. I still combine them on most things. 

Math: Geometry and then Alg 2.... AoPS, Thinkwell and TT. I also have CTC for extra practice. I can't stick to one curriculum.  :tongue_smilie:

English: Whatever we continue to do. I will figure out what to call it later. 

Science: No clue. 

History: U.S. and History of Italy. Using open courses and Teaching Company. Also a book a US History prof I am friends with gave me as the standard text he used for his first and second year undergrad classes.

Language: Italian, likely with Landry Academy

So, as you can tell, I am not really thinking about this yet, lol  :smilielol5:

11th

Math: Algebra 2 (TT)

Science: Environmental Science (OM)

History: US History (UH's Digital History)

English: Easy Grammar 11, American Literature, Writing Non-Fiction (Sharon Watson)

PE/Nutrition: Zumba, etc./Nutrition Made Clear (Great Courses)

New Testament Survey

Drivers Ed

ACT plus writing

10th

Math: Geometry (TT)

Science: Biology (Science Shepherd)

History: History of Medieval World/History of Renaissance World (SWB)

English: Easy Grammar 10, Wordly Wise 10, Writing Strands 6, and Literature

Spanish 2: Rosetta Stone

Elective?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Okay I am struggling a little so any input would be greatly appreciated!

10th grade plans:

Math : Consumer Math   ( not sure what we are using yet maybe Lifepacs or powerbasics )

Science: Survey of Astronomy

History: Finishing world history/geography  ( same text as 9th grade)

English: Easy Grammar 10, Wordly Wise 10, Writing Strands 5?   - We used EIL intro to Lit for 9th - I am not sure what to do for this year- Suggestions?

Health:   Has anyone used Total Health?? Or Lifepac Health set?? Suggestions?

PE

Elective:  She wants to do a Makeup Artistry Class - Any suggestions?

Okay I am struggling a little so any input would be greatly appreciated!

English: Easy Grammar 10, Wordly Wise 10, Writing Strands 5?   - We used EIL intro to Lit for 9th - I am not sure what to do for this year- Suggestions?

Health:   Has anyone used Total Health?? Or Lifepac Health set?? Suggestions?

I take it she didn't like EIL? What was good and bad about it for her? The obvious place to go after Intro is American Lit, but if she didn't like EIL, tell us why and maybe someone can make another recommendation

For health, I highly recommend Oak Meadow! It even includes PE credit. 

Here is the plan for ds, 9th grade: edited 8/29/15

Pre-Algebra/ Algebra 1 ????

Apologia Biology @ hybrid school

Spanish 1 @ hybrid school

PE @ hybrid school

World Geography - ??? Not sure, maybe Oak Meadow or through TTUISD

English 1- Analytical Grammar, Essentials in Writing, Essentials in Literature?? (Maybe). We stopped LIghtning Lit. because it was too dry.

Electives ??? He still needs a fine arts elective. I'm researching options.

I take it she didn't like EIL? What was good and bad about it for her? The obvious place to go after Intro is American Lit, but if she didn't like EIL, tell us why and maybe someone can make another recommendation

For health, I highly recommend Oak Meadow! It even includes PE credit. 

Well I really liked it, but she is not big on being told what to read, she likes to read but just things that she's interested in or chooses. So it was a bit of struggle to get her into some of the books. We did do some audio which seemed to work well.  I was also thinking that it may be easier to find something that combined everything into one instead of having separate grammar vocab etc.. 

But we may just stick with it because she did like the Wordly Wise and Easy Grammar and of course this will be different readings.

I know you said American Lit would be next I was a little confused by the EIL  listing because it says Literature and Composition is next then American Lit followed by British and then world.

Is there a specific format or do you all just pick and choose which order?

Thank you! :)

• Like 1

I know you said American Lit would be next I was a little confused by the EIL  listing because it says Literature and Composition is next then American Lit followed by British and then world.

You're right it is Literature and Composition. We skipped that one both times because I didn't like the selections :). 

Another option for her would be to give her a selection of literature guides and let her pick which books she wants to read. I'm not very familiar with what is out there, but I've seen Lori D. post some good suggestions on literature guides. That could combat her not wanting to read certain books.

• Like 1

You're right it is Literature and Composition. We skipped that one both times because I didn't like the selections :). 

Another option for her would be to give her a selection of literature guides and let her pick which books she wants to read. I'm not very familiar with what is out there, but I've seen Lori D. post some good suggestions on literature guides. That could combat her not wanting to read certain books.

Thanks Debbie!

I think if we stick with it I will skip that also because I think she would like the selections for American Lit better ! I didn't like what I saw for the selections in Lit & Comp either!

My understanding is that you can pick & choose which units to use in whatever order you want. (One WTMer highlighted the books by time period (4 blocks - Ancient through Modern) so she could line them up with her history.) For example, I'm using some of the American Lit units next year with my dd#1 and we haven't done any EIL before. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that you can pick & choose which units to use in whatever order you want. (One WTMer highlighted the books by time period (4 blocks - Ancient through Modern) so she could line them up with her history.) For example, I'm using some of the American Lit units next year with my dd#1 and we haven't done any EIL before. 

Oh my :ohmy:  that makes total sense and I hadn't thought about it that way.   Hmmmm.. We will be finishing up World History next year and doing American History in 11th. I guess I  should check the reading list for the world before I decide.

Thank you!! :thumbup1:

Revised for 11th:

• History/lit/light writing class with an author friend (Modern Lit and History)
  • AP English Composition (PAHS online)
  • Latin 4 (Classic Academic Press online)
  • Geometry (Jacob's, online class)
  • Chemistry (Friendly Chemistry with supplements)
  • Logic (Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox)

Extras: PSAT/SAT Prep, martial arts, piano.

Well I really liked it, but she is not big on being told what to read, she likes to read but just things that she's interested in or chooses. So it was a bit of struggle to get her into some of the books. We did do some audio which seemed to work well.  I was also thinking that it may be easier to find something that combined everything into one instead of having separate grammar vocab etc.. 

But we may just stick with it because she did like the Wordly Wise and Easy Grammar and of course this will be different readings.

With EIL you can do either. Intro and Lit/Comp are typically 8th and 9th grade followed by American, British and then World. But you can pick and choose whatever order you want. I bought the whole binder and we put the books in order to go with our history program.

• Like 3

Dd will be in 11th grade this year.  My plan for her has had to take a drastic turn since she was recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease.  I am having to cut way back on the types of classes I was going to have her take to reduce her stress while she heals.  She is also dyslexic which adds to the fun for her.

11th-

• Algebra 2- Public School Enrichment course with an excellent teacher (TT)
  • Lit/Comp 3 - Public School Enrichment course- I do not feel this class will be enough.  They only work on 4 novels, some short stories, and some poetry for the whole year.  I will work with her on a full MLA Research Paper probably for British History and want to add a Brave Writer class depending on how she feels.  (We are also slowly working our way through the One Year Adventure Novel together for fun)
  • History- 1st Semester - finishing World History (it was a challenge when she became sick).  2nd Semester - British History  (if I can pull together a course for her)
  • Biology with Labs (this also fell apart when she became sick this year, so we are going to try again next year)
  • American Sign Language 3 - Landry Academy online
  • Continuing to prep for the ACT or SAT

Electives-  

• Advanced Photoshop & Graphic Design - 1 semester (Landry Academy online)
  • Musical Theater (Public School Enrichment Class)  Year-long meeting one day a week.
  • Technical Theater (Same)
  • P.E. (Same - We may have to talk to them about this class if it is too much for Dd.  She has already had to stop Competitive Volleyball)
  • Piano

Here's our 11 grade plans:

Calculus (MUS Calculus followed by Calculus 1 via online college)

Early Modern History (Biblioplan)

Early Modern American and World Literature and Composition (Excellence in Literature)

Physics (Apologia Physics and Advanced Physics)

Latin 3 (Latin Alive)

Astronomy (1/2 credit)

Dual Enrollment courses - Fall Semester (don't have the Spring Semester schedule yet)

Intro to Psychology (summer session - almost done)

Intro to Criminal Justice

Argumentative and Analytical Writing

Our 11th grade plans:

Pre Calculus with Derek Owens

Physics - at home with the Giancoli book 

Literature - Roman Roads Greek Philosophers Unit for fall, Poetry unit at co-op in winter, Lightning Literature Shakespeare for spring

German II - not sure yet what we are using, maybe Rolling Acres German, maybe Georgia Virtual School, maybe Oklahoma State German

Electives:

Engineering Computations (Matlab/Labview) with Catapult Engineering Academy - This is the revamped Auburn Engineering courses, my son did the Solid Modeling Course last year and enjoyed it, so he wants to do this one next year

Dual Enrollment

Western Civilization since 1500

Macroeconomics

Not sure for spring yet, but hopefully a lab science

Okay... plans for 9th grade

At home:

English:

Brave Writer's Help for High School

Excavating English OR something similar

dystopian and science fiction lit

Math:

Life of Fred Begining Algebra, then right into Advanced Algebra

Other:

Possibly finish Conceptual Physics (still not sure on this... TBD)

We may use K12 books for an overview to world or American history

Minimum one fiction and one nonfiction book per month (can include English as above)

At the cc/Dual enrollment:

This fall:

Drawing and Composition

Beginning Welding

Spring:

TBD, probably Intro to Automotive Technology

Art? Photography?

I have my first 9th grader next year. This is the plan so far:

Math - AoPS Geometry (1st semester) and Intermediate Algebra (2nd semester)

Science - Thinkwell AP Biology

English/History - Roman Roads - Greeks, WWS 2, Vocab from Classical Roots

Foreign Language: Latin 1 - Henle, Arabic Grammar - self paced online course with tutor

Electives: Intro to Homesteading - chickens and gardening, PE/Weight Training

Possibly: AP Human Geography - self study text and study guides, AP Computer Science - Teen Coder. I think these are too much, but DS wants to try to fit them in.

Okay here are updated

10th grade plans:

Math : Power basics Consumer Math  

Science: Power basics Earth and Space Science

History: Finishing world history/geography  ( same text as 9th grade)

English: Easy Grammar 10, Wordly Wise 10,    EIL American Lit

Health:    Total Health - OR -  Oak Meadow - Where can this be purchased and I wasn't sure if it was an online or at home ??

PE

Elective:  Makeup Artistry Class Or Fashion

I'm graduating my first next year.  We started homeschooling for Kindy in 2003 and aside from attending school for 7th grade she's always been homeschooled.   

12th grader

AP English Literature (outside class)

Chemistry (online is most likely- leaning towards WTM Academy course)

MUS Pre-Calculus

CC Classes- probably one each semester

Health- still needs this but haven't decided on what to use yet

MUS Stewardship

Extracurriculars: lots of dance classes, guitar and voice lessons

10th grader

MUS Algebra (outside class)

CC Challenge II

Extracurriculars: performs as part of a theatre company, voice lessons, soccer

DD....10th:

Chemistry using Zumdahl Introductory Chemistry

Math using Jacob's Geometry 2nd with Fallacy Detective

Arabic I  at Potter's School

Tapestry of Grace Year 4 Rhetoric Level  (history, literature, Bible)

Writing....I swear we are going to actually  use IEW this year plus sentence composing

DD...9th grade

Chemistry using Zumdahl Introductory Chemistry (I'm actually teaching a number of their friends on-line)

Math Jacobs Geometry 2nd edition with Fallacy Detective

Chinese I Potter's School

Tapestry of Grace Year 4 Rhetoric (history, literature, Bible)

Writing....I swear we are going to actually  use IEW this year plus sentence composing

Sound familiar to the above child?  YES!!  I must combine for sanity and the older child missed a full quarter of school this year for illnesses. Her underlying health issues may mean we postpone graduation for a year.

For 10th grade:

World History

Apologia Chemistry

Speech Boot Camp/ (not sure for the other half of the year depends on what the co-op offers)

Khan academy trying to work our way through Algebra 2 this year so she can do physics next year

Genki & Rosetta Stone Japanese

Art on her own

I think this is what we are doing for 9th grade.

TT Geometry

World History 1 using Our Human Story

Marine Biology

OM Hero's Journey Lit & Comp with some BW added in

Some .5 credits she would like to add in are:

Photography

Special Effects

Fashion through the Ages

American Civil War

Dd's 11th grade plans:

Conceptual Physics (Conceptual Academy plans and TC's Physics and Our Universe)

Microbiology (online with Landry Academy)

TT Precalculus

American History (still trying to decide between BJU and Notgrass, leaning toward BJU but I really like Notgrass' original source documents)

American Literature and Composition (Center for Lit. and IEW's Advanced Communication)

Spanish 3 (online with La Clase Divertida)

Speech (IEW's Speech Bootcamp and TC's The Art of Public Speaking)

violin

volleyball

If anyone has any thoughts to share concerning  BJU vs Notgrass for American History, I'd love to hear.  Dd is not a history-lover at all but she generally enjoys American History.

ds14 -- 11th grade

British Literature w/ Writing With Skill 2

finish Saxon Algebra 2; begin Saxon Advanced Math

Apologia Biology

Music Appreciation

Bible

Cooking

Physical Education

dd12 -- 9th grade

American Literature w/ unknown composition

finish Saxon Algebra 1/2; Algebra 1

Apologia Physical Science and possibly Biology

Bible

Abeka Keyboarding

Physical Education

ds14 and dd12 together:

U.S. History -- beginnings to 1899

Spanish 1

Well, I just bought curriculum for next year and my 15 year old has asked if he can go to school.   :laugh:

We have always said that the kids could go if they wanted to and we have now enrolled him in a great charter school.

Now my other two have said they would like to go as well.   But it isn't as easy as just putting them all in the same school.  Oldest will need an IEP and special services.  I have found a place for him but they say he will need to start out in regular ed first as they can't get an IEP done by the start of school.  

There is no room at either charter for youngest so he may have to go to the local PS for now.  

Oy.  Things are about to change drastically.

• Like 1

It used to be that I would start dreaming about next year's curriculum in January because I was getting a bit tired of what we were working on and was ready to contemplate new books and new subjects.

That has changed with high school. I am not ready to think about next year, Sailor Dude's senior year, but I have to due to looming deadlines.

What are you all considering for next year?

Our first deadline is mid-February for forecasting at the high school. We aim for one class there to stay tied in with friends, swimming, testing, and the counseling center. Ds spoke with the Spanish V teacher today to find out what he would need to do to be qualified for the class. I had just made the decision for ds to continue on with Ray Leven for AP Spanish, but the course at school is run in conjunction with a state university and offers 12 college credits for reduced tuition of $230. I think we'd be crazy not to do it if they take him. Ds will probably continue working with Ray through the summer to be prepared as Ray is helping him get through two years of Spanish in one year.

Next comes the decision for PAHS classes. Ds seems to be holding his own with a couple of AP classes even though the work load is staggering altogether. He's losing a few participation points, but doesn't seem to have any regrets and rates it as a good year academically. We'll see when he's snowballed with all of the testing. Our wish list is:

AP US History (ideally with Susan Richman)

AP Comparative Government - I could do this myself, but ds finds the discussion with other students to be valuable.

Ds initially had no desire to take more US History, but a plan is slowly forming with regards to a degree in International Government and Politics, or something along those lines with some kind of focus on economics. We are in the exploratory stage and this isn't a straight-forward as say a degree in accounting.

Math- hopefully moving from Precalculus to Calculus. I am now out of my league, the ps is inconsistent, so it may be time to turn this over to Derek Owens.

English 12 - this will be his fun class as he will be done with both AP English classes. He wants to study argumentation and we'll probably do something along the lines of TTC's A Day's Read. Since his critical reading scores are high, but speed remains problematic, this would introduce him to many of the great authors without having to commit to something like War and Peace. One of my last courses with him. :001_unsure:

AP Physics C or Marine Science - if he chooses the physics course, we'll farm it out. If not, I'll do the Marine Science with some Earth Science in order to justify some travel around the state to places we've missed while he's been growing up.

Then in the summer, I can go back to work to pay for college, senior year, and campus visits. :tongue_smilie:

I just found out my best laid plans are not going to happen.  Apparently the great state of Iowa doesn't let students take more than 23 credits if they are still in high school EVEN IF YOU PAY FOR THEM.  Sigh.  Moan.

I'm trying to figure out HOW to avoid teaching Physics.  Oh for goodness sakes there HAS to be a way.  I'm going to have to spend money on this class and I'm not  thrilled.  We're already paying for his math course at CC.  :(  

So, as it stands, he is taking:

Intro to Architecture & Civil Engineering & Digital Electronics (1st/2nd sem - each part of Project Lead the Way)

Intermediate Algebra followed by College Algebra (1st sem, 2nd sem - CA is the pre-req here to Calc I.)

Comp I & Comp II

And he's signed up for Intro to Psych but if I can in ANY way figure out how to get him into the Physics class instead, I'm doing it. 

This summer we are working heavily on essay writing.   It's really his only weakness, but it's a big one.  We're using this year to prepare for University level writing. We're going to use CC for Comp I, Comp II, to learn how to utilize the writing center, etc.  

We're also working heavily on test prep.  I think he'll test well.  PSAT as a formality in October - I think he'll come very close to semi-finalist but I'm not certain he'll make it.  If he makes it, he gets another year of high school.  If he doesn't, he's graduating.  

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is foreign language.  Sigh.

rising 11th grader for me next year.  So far:

Math: Pre-Calculus

Science: Chemistry

History: US

Literature: US

Fine arts: piano and voice

Logic

Dd finishded Spanish 3 this year so I don't plan any more foreign language for her at this time.  She has also finished a writing program, so I'm incorporating writing into her other subjects. She will finish art this summer. 

• 1 month later...

My first 9th grader.....  :eek:   I think we figured it out..... hopefully our schedule runs smoothly and I don't have to tweak too much!

Math:  Tablet Class Alg. I (home) 

English 9: Literature & Composition

IEW Writing theme book 1st semester(co-op)....Elegant Essay 2nd semester (Co-op)

VHSG Introduction to Literature Live Class, 1x a week....(online) see list below

Fix It Grammar....(home)

Literature: (one book a month) 

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

World Geography:  Oak Meadow World Geography (home), Mapping class (co-op)

Environmental Science:  Oak Meadow (home)

Spanish I:  (Co-op)

Fine Arts:  3D Art (Co-op), Guitar Lessons/Voice Lessons and lots of practice

YMCA Fitness Class (all year)

Extra:  Drama, Babysitting, Teaching Guitar lessons, Volunteering at Farm & Children's Home. 

Dd's 11th grade plans:

Conceptual Physics (Conceptual Academy plans and TC's Physics and Our Universe)

Microbiology (online with Landry Academy)

TT Precalculus

American History (still trying to decide between BJU and Notgrass, leaning toward BJU but I really like Notgrass' original source documents)

American Literature and Composition (Center for Lit. and IEW's Advanced Communication)

Spanish 3 (online with La Clase Divertida)

Speech (IEW's Speech Bootcamp and TC's The Art of Public Speaking)

violin

volleyball

If anyone has any thoughts to share concerning  BJU vs Notgrass for American History, I'd love to hear.  Dd is not a history-lover at all but she generally enjoys American History.

Everything remains the same but I finally decided on Notgrass for history.  It suits dd15 so we'll go with it.  

My first 9th grader.....  :eek:   I think we figured it out..... hopefully our schedule runs smoothly and I don't have to tweak too much!

Math:  Tablet Class Alg. I (home) She is loving this so far!!

English 9: Literature & Composition

IEW Writing theme book 1st semester(co-op)....Elegant Essay 2nd semester (Co-op)

VHSG Introduction to Literature Live Class, 1x a week....(online) see list below

Fix It Grammar....(home)

Literature: (one book a month) 

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Animal Farm by George Orwell

Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy

The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

World Geography:  Oak Meadow World Geography (home), Mapping class (co-op)

Environmental Science:  Oak Meadow (home)     DIVE Earth & Space instead.  It just made more sense for us this year with such a busy schedule already.  

Spanish I:  (Co-op)

Fine Arts:  3D Art (Co-op), Guitar Lessons/Voice Lessons and lots of practice

YMCA Fitness Class (all year)

Extra:  Drama, Babysitting, Teaching Guitar lessons, Volunteering at Farm & Children's Home. 

Okay!  I've already tweaked!!  Just Science though......everything else, for now, is set to go!