Menu

where do all the pencils go?

school17777

I have been homeschooling for 13 years now and this has been a continuous problem all that time, probably before too.  All the pencils (and pens when needed) disappear!  I don't know where they go.  They can be on the table a minute ago, and then they are gone when needed a minute later.

I started out this school year with around 35 golf size pencils.  None can be found now.  And the thing is, they don't ever seem to be found.  Once they are gone, they are gone. We don't even have to leave the desk for the pencils to disappear, they disappear in the middle of a lesson.

I filled up the container on the pencil sharpner with brand new sharpened pencils in Sept.  All gone.  

All that's left on the desk right now are colored pencils that don't work (the plastic kind you twisted) and almost dried up markers.

My bookmark sticky things are gone too. I had tons left in the container too.  Now all the ones I use have lost there stickiness, but I can't replace them with a new fresh one.

I have plenty of fancy cutting scissors in the caddy on the desk.  However, there is only one pair of regular scissors.  I bought two dozen years ago, so there should be plenty, but there is just one pair left.  

My Cat Steals Them.

He has been caught hooking them out of the pencil jar with his paw and tossing them on the floor to be eaten by the closest dog. Or batting them around the floor like hockey pucks until he manages to wedge them under the fridge.

I assume someday we will have to replace the fridge and will find a small forest-worth of perfectly good pencils underneath.

72fb384b475aa0cc415b1ea98b201332.jpg

Where have alll the pencils gone

Long time passing?

Where have alll the pencils gone

Long time ago .....

I have had the same question.  But I just got a brilliant idea.  From now on, when I want a pencil, I shall go looking for a pen.  And when I need a pen, I will look for a pencil.  Past experience suggests that this will be the most successful approach.

I think ours end up in the garage. First they get in the car with someone's list or homework or drawing notebook. Then they get left in the car. Then dh takes everything out of the car because he wants to clean it out. But he leaves everything in the garage. Nothing comes back in the house except clothes and dishes. So somewhere in the garage is a boatload of pencils. Pens too, I bet.

M problem is brand new pencils with erasers disappear off my desk to be replaced with pencils with the eraser gone.  

I have a drawer full  of eraserless pencils. 

We also have four cats who love to steal stuff.  Found a dozen under the couch the other day, along with electronic parts my hubby left on his desk.   

They're at my house. We always have random pencils that I'm like, where did these come from? They don't match the others. They sharpen weirdly. What's up with them.

I'm always losing my socks and it was not until I heard that King Missile song about how he can't figure out where all these extra socks came from that I realized that some people have the opposite problem. Must be like that for pencils too.

At our house they congregate under the refrigerator, deep inside the couch, and under the drawers under the kids' beds. Oh, and inside the dc's backpacks that they only use once or twice a week; they forget that they already stocked them with pencils and grab another each time they leave the house.

They all go to my son's room. Last major clean up uncovered 77 Dixon Ticonderogas!

I had this exact same experience, 76 pens and pencils. Except now that he's gone and married, they *still* go missing. No cat to blame anymore. Before school this year I bought over 100. Hopefully it will take a while to lose them all :P

Last week I "helped" my 12-year-old DS "clean" his room.   (....code for "Mom cleaned out 3 garbage bags full of junk that I've been hoarding, but now I can find all of my stuff!"...)

We found 25+ pencils, 3 rulers, 4 scissors, and at least 3 rolls of scotch tape.

But the dog has chewed up at least a dozen pencils since we started school in August as well, so we never seem to quite catch up.

My Cat Steals Them.He has been caught hooking them out of the pencil jar with his paw and tossing them on the floor to be eaten by the closest dog. Or batting them around the floor like hockey pucks until he manages to wedge them under the fridge.I assume someday we will have to replace the fridge and will find a small forest-worth of perfectly good pencils underneath. 72fb384b475aa0cc415b1ea98b201332.jpg

:001_wub:

M problem is brand new pencils with erasers disappear off my desk to be replaced with pencils with the eraser gone.  

I have a drawer full  of eraserless pencils. 

We also have four cats who love to steal stuff.  Found a dozen under the couch the other day, along with electronic parts my hubby left on his desk.   

One of my kids is an eraser-chewer. Drives. Me. Crazy. She has some sort of pencil radar. She even chews up the ones I have hidden!

I don't know.  Ds1 can lose 10 pencils in a day----easily!  It is unreal.  Funny thing is, we went through all the "stuff" in his room--every single bit of it.  Oh my!  He does his homeschool downstairs, but somehow the pencils migrate.  There were *dozens* and *dozens* of pencils in the oddest places.  It was incredible.  He was shocked because he can never find a pencil, and he had no idea how they got there.  Now when ds2 asks where all pencils went (you know, the 5 pencils that were in the pencil cup an hour ago), I just tell him to look in his brother's room. ;)  One of these days, you'll find hundreds of pencils *somewhere*!  Lol!

Maybe they run off with the missing socks?

Every single time I move our sectional pieces out of the way to sweep, I find at least one pencil or pen.

YES! I know they're with the socks. I found the nest of the sock-stealing gnomes under my 13yo's bed. Socks, pencils, little scraps of paper. Yup. They're totally with the socks, stolen by the gnomes.

We used to have this problem until the kids started moving to online courses using their computers for most of their school work.  Now all the missing pencils and pens are slowly emerging from their hiding places and I am inundated.  I think I have more than enough to last me 'till the day I die!

We used to have this problem until the kids started moving to online courses using their computers for most of their school work.  Now all the missing pencils and pens are slowly emerging from their hiding places and I am inundated.  I think I have more than enough to last me 'till the day I die!