Menu

Fiction featuring wealthy people?

MelanieM

Does anyone have suggestions for fiction (or non-fiction that reads like fiction) that features wealthy people in a really positive light, doing amazing and fabulous things? All genres welcome. I can't seem to find much, so I thought I'd ask the hive -- a place where all questions have answers!

Harry Potter is pretty wealthy. :)  (Sorry for the spoiler)

A Christmas Carol-Scrooge does good things (again, spoiler.  Sorry)

A lot of the Brandon Sanderson novels feature royalty, merchants, and other rich folk who do good things. 

You'd have better luck with non-fiction, because as Sadie said, you need conflict. 

I'll admit I'm curious-but why? 

How good? How amazing?

Let's see, Frodo Baggins pretty much saves Middle Earth.

Do comic book characters count? What about Bruce Wayne? Or The Green Hornet? Or Charles Xavier? Or Daddy Warbucks? Or Tony Stark? Or Lara Croft?

Willy Wonka? Is he good enough?

There's Forrest Gump?

Bertie Wooster is funny, but sort of useless...?

If you're referring to Daddy Longlegs, then I agree it's a bit creepy. Imagine Little Orphan Annie growing up and having a romantic relationship with Daddy Warbucks. Ick.

Ha, you're right.  I just re-read the plot summary, and had completely forgotten about the romantic interest part.  Hmm..  I'll try and think of another one.

Awesome!! Thanks for all the great suggestions! To answer a couple of questions...

For adults, not kids. Though kids books would be fun too!

This came up because a friend was saying that it's difficult to find fiction that represents wealthy people in a positive light. So we're looking for books that celebrate wealth (even indirectly) rather than presenting it as something negative.

Also, Fifty Shades was one that came to mind for me as well. So you all are not alone. ha!

Also, having recently read Longbourn, I have to say, the Bennetts may not have had tons of money but the girls did just sit around in fancy dresses, attending balls, and waiting to get married off. It wasn't like they were going to have to take in washing or sell their bodies on the street.

Jane Eyre's Mr Rochester

Suggestions from the Wall St Journal

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424053111903791504576589160311007544

Also, having recently read Longbourn, I have to say, the Bennetts may not have had tons of money but the girls did just sit around in fancy dresses, attending balls, and waiting to get married off. It wasn't like they were going to have to take in washing or sell their bodies on the street.

Yes - they were comfortable.  They would have lost everything when their father died, but in the mean time they were fine.  Not wealthy, I don't think though.  They shared their carriage horses with the farm, so had to walk if the horses were busy.

L

I can think of more novels where the wealthy are people who aren't bad but the main characters aren't wealthy - like in Pride and Prejudice. As said, they're clearly comfortable if precarious in their situation, but the real rich characters are basically good people (not all of them, but most). Ditto in Jane Eyre. Ditto in many Dickens novels. I mean, in Oliver Twist, the main characters are in poverty and some rich people are terrible, but in the end, Oliver is saved by kind, rich benefactors who realize his connections. Or I Capture the Castle, where the main characters are poor but get caught up in the lives of their rich new neighbors, who turn out to be really good people.

I guess I think the rich aren't too maligned by literature. If writers choose to write about poor or middle class protagonists more often it's because its easier to find a wider range of struggles there. When you give rich people struggles they tend to be moral in nature since they can't be about influence or power or having enough since the rich already have those things.

Yeah, that whole locking your wife in the attic thing...

When rich people are morally good in fiction, it's almost incidental.

I'm puzzled at needing to look for this type of fiction. The entire culture celebrates rich. LOL.

Well, I'm not sure I can think of many novels featuring ANYONE just going around being good, doing amazingly wonderful things. Even non-fiction books about historical characters that I love also describe their flaws and bad things that they did. If we believed that ONLY being good and doing amazingly wonderful things was the goal, then I'm not sure we could get out of bed in the morning or live with ourselves. We have to know that everyone is good and bad, has success and failures.

I wouldn't call him GOOD, would you?

Aww, come on...He didn't cast his wife out on the street!

I don't know. There had to be something appealing about him, otherwise why read about Jane's longing for him? ;)

By the way the story of Lady Almina is interesting, especially the stuff about her work with veterans who returned home wounded. It's non-fiction but related to Downton Abbey. She was wealthy and presumed to be an illegitimate daughter of a Rothschild,which was the source of her enormous fortune.

Aww, come on...He didn't cast his wife out on the street!

I don't know. There had to be something appealing about him, otherwise why read about Jane's longing for him? ;)

There's something appealing about Heathcliff too, but that doesn't make him only GOOD. I think Jane likes the streak of darkness in Rochester. It mirrors that tiny wild piece of herself that was left after she was subdued into a lady.

Or take Rhett Butler (the book Rhett). He's definitely a rogue and scoundrel, but also a hero, right?

By the way the story of Lady Almira is interesting, especially the stuff about her work with veterans who returned home wounded. It's non-fiction but related to Downton Abbey; after reading the book, I felt the real woman was 1000x more interesting than boring Lady Grantham, who is the least interesting/developed character on the show. She was wealthy and presumed to be an illegitimate daughter of a Rothschild,which was the source of her enormous fortune.

I liked that book quite a lot too.

Btw I realized Lady Almina was the inspiration for Cora Crawley not Lady Grantham (I deleted that from my post, no big deal, I just wanted to clarify). Cora Crawley is plenty interesting on Downton, but just for her big mouth and lack of pomposity. Lady Grantham just smiles and plays along, and was initially quite opposed to the hospital being built there during the war.

Heathcliff is too dark and dangerous. Holy smokes. No! There sure are some weird characters in books.

I was going to suggest Anna Karenina, but thought better of it.

How about the Elizabeth Peters mysteries? They run around Egypt looking for mummies and having adventures.  Money is never mentioned. Which means wealthy.

My mom used to read those "The Cat Who...." mysteries by Lillian Jackson Braun about a gruff rich bachelor who runs around town solving crimes Murder-She-Wrote style, with occasional help from his cats.  Silly lightweight fun.

How about the Elizabeth Peters mysteries? They run around Egypt looking for mummies and having adventures. Money is never mentioned. Which means wealthy.

My mom used to read those "The Cat Who...." mysteries by Lillian Jackson Braun about a gruff rich bachelor who runs around town solving crimes Murder-She-Wrote style, with occasional help from his cats. Silly lightweight fun.

Yes, I was just remembering the Amelia Peabody books. They are definitely wealthy, Amelia inherits her father's estate.

Speaking of DIckens. ;) There are some good people in A Christmas Carol. Scrooge even makes amends.

What about the father in The Secret Garden?  The little princess dad in The Little Princess?

Mary in The Secret Garden has terrible parents who sent her away so that they don't have to deal with her. In The Little Princess the dad is dead! Have any of you people actually read any of these books? ;)    :lol:     :smilielol5:  

Mary in The Secret Garden has terrible parents who sent her away so that they don't have to deal with her. In The Little Princess the dad is dead! Have any of you people actually read any of these books? ;)    :lol:     :smilielol5:  

lol I was thinking about the nice adults who took care of the kids, even the poor ones. But you are right. I misremembered the good characters. :)   And that old Scrooge grew & amended. lol 

Mary in The Secret Garden has terrible parents who sent her away so that they don't have to deal with her. In The Little Princess the dad is dead! Have any of you people actually read any of these books? ;) :lol: :smilielol5:

Of course not. we're watching the movies.

In Little Princess, maybe the thought was the nice old man Shirley Temple sings with. If you're looking for a ST movie, how about The Little Colonel? Or what about The King and I? Or Beauty and the Beast? Yeah! Perfect!

Anyway, Mrs M....Stop making fun and start giving suggestions. Finding perfect characters who are wealthy isn't easy. We're working hard here.

Okay. How about Auntie Mame? :) Book and movie.

The Uninvited is a good ghost story where the main characters are a reasonably comfortable brother and sister who want to resolve the problems of the tormented soul haunting their house. The movie is good as well, and easier to find.

Back to mysteries, Phryne Fisher is quite wealthy. The books have a lot of sex (a la James Bond); the tv series is gorgeous and/but cuts a lot of the sex and is not very faithful to the books. She's an Australian detective in Australia post WWI.

My mom used to read those "The Cat Who...." mysteries by Lillian Jackson Braun about a gruff rich bachelor who runs around town solving crimes Murder-She-Wrote style, with occasional help from his cats.  Silly lightweight fun.

These were my first thought because I'm reading them right now. The main character inherits millions in the 3rd book, I believe. He doesn't like to deal with money as he feels it's a hindrance, so he sets up a foundation to dole out the money to people and businesses in need. He is considered a hero by the people who live in the towns all around him.