Menu

How do you pronounce

Desert Strawberry

And now I'm chuckling over the fact that I thought I had picked such a unique baby name if this was a girl, when you thought of the same name yourself :D

Yes, I'm not even looking at popularity. I don't want to know  :smilielol5:

I think it has kind of a trendy sound, but also timeless and classical. And also feminine and pretty. 

Feel better, it isn't common at all. We just happen to both be brilliant, creative mamas ;)

Actually. I lean the other way. I have an unpopular name, and I don't want that. My parents thought they were SO clever.  :glare: They gave me an old lady name. 

I'd rather it be more common than not. I want it to at least be recognizable. 

Here is my problem with the name...

If you love the name and are considering if for your baby, but even you aren't sure how it's pronounced, your child is going to have to deal with that same confusion (and mispronunciation and misspelling) for her entire life.

Could you use it as a middle name instead?

(I know Lyra is a constellation, but in my mind it's a brand of colored pencils and a My Little Pony character. :D)

I pronounce it leer-uh, accent on the first syllable.

ETA: I don't pronounce the y quite as a long e, more like lihr-uh. (That spelling makes sense in my brain so just go with it, ok? :laugh: )

ETA2: first syllable as in lyrical, at least the way I pronounce lyrical. How's that?

I pronounce it Squidaped-oyt, but either Liera or Leera would probably more typical. Sadly, you'll probably have to tell people how to pronounce it at least half the time. However, many people have that same problem with their names, or else they have to tell people how to spell it, so that shouldn't necessarily deter you if you really like it :)

Now I'm positive I want to spell it with an I, to help with the pronunciation issue. Eek!

That won't help. People will still say it however they please.

Lyra has never been one of the 1000 most popular baby names in the US, so you're probably safe on that front, although you should know that three or more variations on Lilah are in the top 200 currently, and that might cause some confusion.

Now I'm positive I want to spell it with an I, to help with the pronunciation issue. Eek!

No Liras for us this go around, we just got confirmation of a male last Friday. But I'm determined to not drop it from our list for the next baby unless the popularity skyrockets unacceptably :)

It sounds like a 50/50 split, Strawberry - I'd say go with whichever pronunciation you like and just correct people as needed.

This is the first I have seen that you found out that you're having a little boy.

Congratulations! :hurray:

(PS. Lira is Italian money in my mind. ;))

Ok, so Lira is definitely Lee- ruh or Lih ruh, depending on accent. 

Lyra should be Lie ruh, but alternatively Lee ruh or Lih ruh. I will have to correct about half of the people, half of the time. 

I would prefer Lyra, pronounced Lih ra. 

As long as it's not completely unheard of, I'm fine. 

I have noticed Lila/Lilah/Lyla/Lylah gaining in popularity. My top choice for Taurus was Delilah. I'm sure that will cause some confusion. But really, anything other than Jane and Kate (Jayne and Cate/Cait/Kait/Kayte?) is going to cause a bit of confusion. 

My first thought on reading it was that it was awfully close to Lycra, the fabric in swimsuits. My initial pronunciation would tend to be "LIE-ruh," because of "lyre" rather than "LIH-ruh" like the Italian currency. Another option would include the r in the first syllable "LIAR- uh" or "LEER-uh" and in the US South, the option of "LEE-ruh" will crop up (or a broad "LIE-ruh, but the i is with a very wide and flat mouth position rather than a tall, narrower one----I am terrible at writing out phonetic sounds!).

But really, anything other than Jane and Kate (Jayne and Cate/Cait/Kait/Kayte?) is going to cause a bit of confusion. 

This reminds me of the first couple days of my freshman year in college. The RA for our dorm had posted everyone's names on their doors to help everyone get to know each other. Jayne was a couple doors down. Someone asked, "Are you Jayne?" (pronounced like Jane) She replied, "Actually, it's Jay-nee." Really? "Yes, according to my mother."  :laugh:

I'm not one to get all worked up over a name. If people call her Lie ruh, whatever. She can choose whichever pronunciation she wants. I'm not going to throw a tantrum if my kid's name isn't pronounced the way I prefer. 

Really, I'm in the deep south. I can't even guess what Lyra will sound like in a place where Carmen is KOR mihn and nine is noyn. 

I'm not one to get all worked up over a name. If people call her Lie ruh, whatever. She can choose whichever pronunciation she wants. I'm not going to throw a tantrum if my kid's name isn't pronounced the way I prefer. 

Really, I'm in the deep south. I can't even guess what Lyra will sound like in a place where Carmen is KOR mihn and nine is noyn. 

It's a good point.  My Texas MIL's pronunciation of my name sounded like 'LAH-ra to me.  That's fine - it's still my name.

L

Oh! I guess I misinterpreted your post. I say "Ah", as in, "Ah, I understand now!" So I guess I was thinking LAH-ruh was actually LAW-ruh... which is how I pronounce it.

So basically, Nevermind! (LOL)

I added some pronunciations to my post above, as the UK version of 'law' is much more closed than the Texas one.  Rather than an open mouth, I have pursed and elongated lips.

L

See, Lah-ra and Law-ra are pretty much the same for me. Laura is said like Nora, Dora, Cora... rhymes with store-a here.

That's how I would say it unless a person corrected me. I knew a Lara who pronounced her name like Larry but with an -a instead of a -y sound at the end. I pronounced it like she wanted even though I would have never said it that way just seeing it in print.

I don't know how you want to pronounce it, but I've never seen it before and in my mind I pronounced it Lear - ah (ear like those things that stick out on the side of your head).  A very pretty name, but if I pronounced it incorrectly, just be prepared for that.  Oh, I just saw that SKL pronounced it the same way I did but used lyric to describe it.  Much nicer way to describe it. 

I'm out of likes, but yes, like lyric or lira. I like the y better. It does mean harp, and is a constellation. I know it isn't the correct pronunciation, but I have heard the word and lyre pronounced both ways. I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't WRONG. I figure this group is more familiar with the roots than the average American. If it goes both ways here, I can be fairly certain the majority of people she (if baby is a she) interacts with will be fine with it.

Here is my problem with the name...

If you love the name and are considering if for your baby, but even you aren't sure how it's pronounced, your child is going to have to deal with that same confusion (and mispronunciation and misspelling) for her entire life.

Could you use it as a middle name instead?

(I know Lyra is a constellation, but in my mind it's a brand of colored pencils and a My Little Pony character. :D)

People ask us how to pronounce my son's name and it is one of the books in the Bible. 

I say Leer-uh. I think it is a fine name.

I would pronounce it Leer-uh, but 100% agree that you'd be forever giving the pronunciation and 50% of people would pronounce it wrong.

With my last baby, I really wanted Kyra as in Keer-uh. I asked here and got similar responses to what up you're getting, Hence, I had no desire to explain a name for the rest of my life (or put that burden on her) so I dropped it from my list. That baby ended up being an Ivy, but truth be told I still look at her and wonder if I should've picked Kyra. But she definitely is my little Ivy girl :-)

I'm wondering how many long I sound mamas are in the UK or other English speaking countries than the US/Canada? I've never heard it pronounced that way here but that would have been the way we'd have pronounced it in Devon. StatesideIve always heard it with a long E sound from the I/Y vowel.

I'm in the US and would say it LIE-ra. :)