Menu

Will Robin Williams' death be the catalyst for open talks about mental illness?

elegantlion

I hope so. Normally, when a celebrity dies some people openly post, but yesterday my facebook feed was filled with posts of love, support, grief. More than one person opened up about their own issues with mental illness. It's like a logjam has broken loose. 

The saying that laughter is the best medicine seemed to be applicable until yesterday. If the man that made us laugh suffered while we were laughing, or tried to make it all go away by inducing laughter...I don't know. 

Perhaps a few people will indeed benefit, but not a huge change IMHO.  

Most people underestimate the seriousness of depression, and frankly unless the individual can be moved to seek treatment, tragedies like this may occur.  

I have multiple relatives who have or are battling depression, and it scares me. One was treated for depression, but not by someone who knew what they were doing (an incompetent primary care doctor). The individual dropped both the medication and therapy on multiple occasions, and had multiple suicide scares.  Ultimately they died of unrelated medical issues, but IMHO it was always a possibility with them.  The others worry us.  No treatment at all, and all the signs of ongoing depression.  I have nightmares periodically that one particular individual finally did it, and that I got the call to try to pick up the pieces.

Hard, hard stuff.

Sure, for a few weeks and then it will go back to how it always was.  Unless his family uses this as a platform to reach out and raise awareness, chatter will slow down in a couple weeks and everything will go back to the old normal.  

I hope so, but I doubt it.

I'd like to see his family and perhaps other comedians step up and make it a real conversation…but I won't hold my breath.  Remember when that congressperson from Virginia was attacked by his own son, who couldn't get a temporary mental health placement in a hospital?  Thought it would change then.  It didn't.  Same old, same old.

Ugh.

This is one of those threads where "liking" posts seems wrong. So consider my likes a hardy "I concur" instead.

There have been many high profile cases involving mental illnesses in the past 2-3 years. They run out the media cycle then disappear into the ether to be replaced by stories of exaggerated medical threats, the political posturing of elected officials, and the inane banter of co-hosts discussing makeovers and reality tv "stars".

I don't think there will be any one thing that changes thing, but hopefully some people will be exposed to some thoughts that challenge the old stereotypes.

I know my mom and her husband are 'angry' etc about this, angry he would 'take the easy way out' etc. They very much have a 'snap out of it' attitude towards depression, especially confusing because we have family members who struggle. Their (my parents) attitude seems to be something they just cannot change. I tell myself they are old and it is better to engage with people who have a better understanding.

And my mom, who has not attended church in 25 years, has this one left over relic from her catholic upbringing where she believes people who commit suicide are going to hell, have offended god etc. It makes me sad her god is so unforgiving and removed from real human experience he can't provide solace and forgiveness to someone in the ultimate pain.

Even if only a few people learn something new about depression or see the issue from a perspective they haven't considered before, it can still have a positive result.

What many are describing here is just how the news cycle works—including on social media and even this forum. I can't think of any topic that is covered evenly or kept at the forefront rather than being discussed in ebbs and flows.

I am liking anyway.  I like that people are starting to think and I like that this may bring about something, even if small.

But no, I don't like depression, or suicide, or mental illness, or any of it!  

Ugh.

This is one of those threads where "liking" posts seems wrong. So consider my likes a hardy "I concur" instead.

There have been many high profile cases involving mental illnesses in the past 2-3 years. They run out the media cycle then disappear into the ether to be replaced by stories of exaggerated medical threats, the political posturing of elected officials, and the inane banter of co-hosts discussing makeovers and reality tv "stars".

I do hope people keep talking, trying to break the stereotypes, sharing their stories. I read three personal stories yesterday that echoed the same sentiment - one that even gave me a new perspective. I've seen mental illness in its bad form and there is still that element of shame that you need to closet away your "monsters".  I've watched people I care about get turned away when asking for medical help because they either didn't have insurance, cash, or, in one case, the doctor thought he was trying to scam for pills. Sometimes you talk and no one that has the power to help is listening. 

There are so many factors, so many ways of manifesting, and in some ways it's like the question of "how do you tell someone is a true christian?" - at least in an outsider's opinion. Life can get us down, what is situational, what is biological? I don't know. I have a lot of thoughts today. 

I do have a question maybe someone can answer. Does mental illness happen first or can a life situation trigger the biological changes that bring about depression and anxiety, thinking that more so than PTSD. Or were the biological factors for depression and anxiety always present and just not manifest? 

I was just on facebook and read a fascinating article someone posted about the Holocaust. The article was about how much worse the Holocaust actually was than previously known. With some perspective it is now known how much more the Holocaust was than six million Jews being killed, although that would have been horrible enough and many people have tried to downplay that alone without discussion of all the smaller labor camps, brothels, ect.

I am wondering how the American prison system of today will seem in 80 years from now. It is full of the unloved, mentally ill, drug dependent, and in many cases run by worse criminals than the ones locked up. As a society we need to step up to help not just the mentally ill, but our weakest members. Real discussion would be wonderful, but most people want to spout political rhetoric rather than discuss.

I've been going to counseling on and off since I was 4 or 5 because of childhood abuse. Because of that, I guess, I'm used to talking about my problems. So it always surprises me when others are surprised that I am willing to share and be open. I've read or heard other people's stories and that has helped me. I have been especially inspired by The Bloggess' honesty on her blog. If me sharing can help others, then I'm going to do it. Some things I keep private, because those parts are not just my story, but also my siblings, many of which are still minors. But my personal struggles, I share. I've actually been blogging about it some since my diagnosis of PTSD. (Link in my signature.) Yesterday I was triggered by Mr. William's method of passing, and I wrote out my own experience with suicide which was very therapeutic. It really helped me get a handle on the emotions I was dealing with, instead of holding it all in.

It would be nice.  I doubt that it will happen.  My fb feed/trending  is already filling up with 'he was a coward' and 'this x,y,z group should be given as much suicide coverage as RW was'.

Matt Walsh just showed up all over my FB feed, shared by people who think his take on Robin Williams' life and death is just so pithy and timely which it's neither. I'm unfriending everybody who shares it.

Matt Walsh just showed up all over my FB feed, shared by people who think his take on Robin Williams' life and death is just so pithy and timely which it's neither. I'm unfriending everybody who shares it.

I will be cleaning out some 'friends' as well.  A human being died and because he was famous people feel they can tear to shreds the details of his life and death.  I just want to say everyone struggles with something, be kind!

That blog post of his (and all the implications it makes) is just so despicable. The comments on it are special as well, including comments implying that if people truly had joy through Christianity, no one would become depressed.  :glare:

The average person with bipolar disorder goes 10 years being misdiagnosed and improperly treated. And that's just the stat for people seeking help. I was misdiagnosed for a decade, getting treatment for depression and anxiety while the doctors missed the manic behaviors. Antidepressants, without a mood stabilizer, generally lead to mania, then the crash, and the subsequent conclusion that the medication must not be working. I loathe my meds for bipolar -- I've lost all creativity and they'll probably give me diabetes -- but I'm alive because of my family, friends, doctors, and proper treatment.

Most people don't begin to understand mental illness until it happens to them, or a loved one, and even then the stigma can be powerful.

If it happens on mine, I will break my self-imposed "Do not argue with people on their Facebook wall" rule. It's a hill worth dying on.

I was coming here to post something about that but kept typing words that would get me banned.

He who shall not be named? Ugh, so not clicking. 

I appreciate everyone sharing their story here. I find myself overwhelmed a bit today for reasons I can't share because it's not my story to do so. Sometimes it's easier to read about others and sort of see the situation more clearly. Then when it comes to your life, it's harder to be objective because there are consequences for others when someone chooses to not deal with or completely ignore their mental illness. 

the cancer comparison is hard for me because I've had cancer. I wanted it gone, I didn't deny I had it and I sought tx. Now, 20+ years later side effects of tx are showing up and I'm still "dealing" with cancer in some ways. At least in my case, my loved one with mental illness denied it for a long time and refused help, instead trying to deal with it alone. then they didn't like the way the drugs made them feel, totally get that, but...radiation and chemo doesn't make you feel good either. But there is not a stigma when someone is dealing with side effects of chemo or radiation, there is a stigma for many when they're really trying and medication precludes them from leading what was their normal life. 

EL, I'm kind of in the same place today, overwhelmed by sadness, regret, and loss while knowing it could be worse because my person is still here although I can't see him often...Can't really talk about it because it's not really my story, just someone very close to me and I don't want to make his life about me...but to be entirely honest I am really struggling today. Specifically, crying jags for which there ought to be a pill (because I totally have things I should be doing) but I know it's just triggered pain that will subside if I hang in there.

(snip)

I do have a question maybe someone can answer. Does mental illness happen first or can a life situation trigger the biological changes that bring about depression and anxiety, thinking that more so than PTSD. Or were the biological factors for depression and anxiety always present and just not manifest? 

They are all valid.

DD7 (my great-neice)  has been diagnosed since she was 4yo with PDD-NOS and Anxiety (and depression as a result of the anxiety). She has severe issues and has been medicated for depression since she was 4yo. Due to more extensive testing and her own life playing out, at 7yo, her neurodocs now actually suspect she is bipolar.  She has severe mental illness on both sides of her immediate family and we suspect it is genetic for her, but her mother did drugs during her pregnancy so that could have been the catalyst to her issues showing up so young. We are not switching her diagnosis yet, but it is pretty obvious as she ages, that it isn't just anxiety related.

Ds19 didn't have problems until he started feeling the pressures of real life as a teenager. His issue is mild but honestly, that can be just as dangerous, because even parents who are involved in their kids lives can miss the warning signs until it is too late.  He has had good and bad times since he was in 8th/9th grade and finally asked for counseling at 19. (it was offered previously, but he always declined and rebounded on his own).  He is super easy going and lets pretty much everything roll off his back, But, when he gets stressed out at school, he shuts down. He lets too much roll of his back! He hit bottom when he lost a $5000 scholarship due to his grades slipping below a 3pt in college.  Losing that scholarship, meant he couldn't go back to school for a while.  It was the first real world, --take away something you love--, consequence to hit him. It really put him over the edge and he recognized that he needed to figure out a better way to deal with things. Thankfully, since we are an open family about mental health issues, he felt safe coming to us and asking for help. He was in counseling within 2 weeks of him asking. 

DD15 doesn't have depression.  Our household is very stressful due to raising my niece.  DD15 has always been offered counseling due to DD7s outbursts that are often directly pointed at dd15.  DD7 directly causes my DD15's anxiety.  Without dd7 in my older daughter's life, she would have a typical teenage life. She is outgoing, has a boyfriend of a year, is an A/B student (very good considering she has dyslexia), and starting her 3rd year of cheerleading.  She is happy and vibrant.  BUT, the stress of dd7's issues compounds and dd15 needed some help in that area.  She also asked to go to a counselor (had always been offered to her also).  That was she can go and vent about her real life to someone who can give her good advice on dealing with it (not a fellow teenager) without having to worry that she is hurting someones feelings (like if she were to talk to me). She is very open with me, but I know there are things she would like to say but holds back for various reasons.  The counselor helps her keep her anxiety in check and is a good barometer on making sure she is in a good mental place. 

I don't have depression but have PTSD due to raising dd7.  I have anxiety related to raising dd7 and trying to maintain a healthy house for everyone else! 

Another niece had severe issues that were precipitated by some life choices but she was sent into a radical downward spiral that culminated in a suicide attempt, the week after she got a birth control shot.  She says that she always had depression but only got suicidal during the time the meds were in her system.

My aunt has schizophrenia that only appeared after a head injury car accident.  She was hospitalized about half of her life due to the severity.

Dh has had a mild depression/anxiety his entire life that looks a lot like DS19s.  Dh's mom has depression also. So, we suspect that DS19's might be genetic as well.

So, just in my close family we have severe issues that required medication as a very young child, mild issues that just need a bit of help figuring out a little bit of  life strategies (no meds), one that feels it was hormone medication related,  and ones that require hospitalization due to head trauma.   

I don't think it will really change anything.

Mental health issues are complicated and many of them are expensive to treat. Counseling is not covered under many (most?) health care plans which means many people go without the help they need because they can't afford it. I wish it made a difference but I don't think it will.

Lots and lots of  :grouphug: for you all.  

I truly hope it'd be a catalyst, but I doubt it.  We move on too quickly from things like this.  Denial goes far in our society.  I wish it would help people, though.  For privacy, please don't quote in case I get paranoid and go back to delete later.  But his passing really triggered me yesterday.  I've been kind of frozen in a pile of papers I was Pro-clicking and drinking as much valerian and passionflower tea as I can make.  I don't want to make this about me, but for some of us, we still do not have enough IRL acknowledgement or support about this disease.  Even the "best" of us can't get the proper help sometimes and the guilt and loneliness crashes in on them.  If even Robin couldn't get the help he needed, sometimes it feels hopeless to the rest of us with less resources.  But nobody deserves to go through this.

He who shall not be named? Ugh, so not clicking. 

I appreciate everyone sharing their story here. I find myself overwhelmed a bit today for reasons I can't share because it's not my story to do so. Sometimes it's easier to read about others and sort of see the situation more clearly. Then when it comes to your life, it's harder to be objective because there are consequences for others when someone chooses to not deal with or completely ignore their mental illness. 

the cancer comparison is hard for me because I've had cancer. I wanted it gone, I didn't deny I had it and I sought tx. Now, 20+ years later side effects of tx are showing up and I'm still "dealing" with cancer in some ways. At least in my case, my loved one with mental illness denied it for a long time and refused help, instead trying to deal with it alone. then they didn't like the way the drugs made them feel, totally get that, but...radiation and chemo doesn't make you feel good either. But there is not a stigma when someone is dealing with side effects of chemo or radiation, there is a stigma for many when they're really trying and medication precludes them from leading what was their normal life. 

One of the challenges of mental illness is that the illness itself makes it difficult for the affected person to recognize what is going on. Because their brain is not functioning properly, they perceive reality through a distorted lens and are unable to see their circumstances in a rational way. This is one of the things that makes seeking treatment--and sticking with treatment--so much less straightforward than with other illnesses.

Well, first I would imagine that it would need to be officially confirmed that suicide was the cause of death, and that this was related to his depression. It's a bit of a jump to make these assumptions.

Individuals themselves and/or their families of well-known people who died or suffered from specific illnesses can certainly make a big difference in increasing awareness and collecting money for research and treatment. In Canada, Michael J. Fox, Terry Fox and Rick Hansen are great examples of this.

Well, first I would imagine that it would need to be officially confirmed that suicide was the cause of death, and that this was related to his depression. It's a bit of a jump to make these assumptions.

Individuals themselves and/or their families of well-known people who died or suffered from specific illnesses can certainly make a big difference in increasing awareness and collecting money for research and treatment. In Canada, Michael J. Fox, Terry Fox and Rick Hansen are great examples of this.

There was an official press conference that he slit one of his wrists and was found hanging by a belt, with no indications of foul play.

I'm not sure why I'm in the minority here, but I hear chatter about mental illness all the time. Its in the media, all over social media, we all know people who suffer from it, I'm finding it hard to believe that people are unaware of the seriousness of depression and that we need more awareness raised. it may be because I'm outside of the US, but my perception is very different from what I'm reading on this thread. I've known lots of folks with depression and who use meds to manage it.

It will... for about a week. Then it will be back to business as usual.

There's been a lot of very public tragedies revolving around mental illness of some kind (the Santa Barbara shooting comes to mind immediately) and it makes the talk show circuit, but then dies down and that's that. Until the next event. But, people talk abut raising awareness and "doing something", but I'm not sure what can be done.

I don't think it will change much of anything, but it should. People should NOT be afraid to talk about this in the light of day. I took the girls to a park day today and got into a conversation with another mom about how she recently started therapy. I started therapy last week. My therapist wants me to look into BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) on top of the depression I am already diagnosed with. I did, and a lot of it fits. But I don't want to claim it, because it makes me sound like I have multiple personalities, and that's not the case. I am all me, 100% of the time. But I don't want that stigma attached to me, I don't want people to shy away from me and think that I'm a hazard to them. Because I'm not and there is no real reason for people to think that to begin with. But that stigma exists, and people stay quiet, and then people die. And it's tragic and it doesn't need to happen. 

I am so thankful no one I know has had the audacity to post the MW link today. I would have been doing some fb arguing too.  :glare:

Probably not. He was a big time drug user (Cocaine and Heroin) and that is quite common in Hollywood. Mental illness and drug use are very common and anyone who is not a celebrity who admits to those problems will severely limit the employment opportunities available to them. It is like having a  visible tattoo or piercing, it is a "black mark" on one's record and closes doors to job opportunities.

I have P.T.S.D. and that is in the news very frequently now and many people who have P.T.S.D. are blaming crimes and bad behavior on P.T.S.D. , when P.T.S.D. has no connection to whatever they are guilty of doing.

I am so sad that this world lost another seemingly great person. I feel bad for Robin Williams that he had an illness that caused him to take his own life. I cannot fathom the depth of despair he must have felt to do so. Still I can't help but disagree with several people here, respectfully of course. I have family members that have committed suicides. Matter of fact my cousin lost her life to a car accident. Within a year her daughter committed suicide in front of the school bus with her brother on it. Within a year the same brother found his father dead from a suicide. Fast forward nearly 20 yrs and the son committed a horrible murder of his wife leaving his two children without either parent. It is devastating to say the least. What my cousin's son did, murder, was because of mental illness. Suffering from mental illness didn't make it any less devastating or selfish and not murder. It was a result of his illness but the outcome was the same. Now I am not by any means saying that Robin Williams or my cousin's daughter or husband's actions are equivalent to murder. Please don't misunderstand me. I am saying that their actions were equally devastating and selfish in regards to the people left behind. Because of their illness they saw no other way. They obviously were misguided enough at the time to believe that they were not acting selfishly. I know them. They didn't do it to cause more harm to their relatives. They hit rock bottom and thought it best for everyone and couldn't see the reality of others clearly. Now do I think all people believe they are acting unselfishly? No, some intend on causing maximum pain to the left behind but many cases they truly don't feel selfish. Even so, suicide is an  act that many times is unintentionally selfish. I have never met a relative of a suicide that was relieved their loved one made that choice even after the shock and mourning is over. With a clear head unhindered by depression and mental illness, we can see the true outcome of suicide, our lifetime without the one we love. Again I am not making light of depression or mental illness. I believe there is a great chance for everyone to celebrate Robin William's life but also openly discuss every aspect of mental illness, depression, and suicide. My discussing his choice to commit suicide doesn't nullify what a great man he seemed to be nor the outstanding actor he was. My saying it is selfish doesn't nullify what I think of him as a person. I can say he committed a selfish act possibly with unselfish intentions because of a debilitating disease while still being in awe of him as a man. His suicide is only one part of his life as a whole. He was so much more than that. Right now he is being defined by many by his last choice but I do see many that are honoring his previous choices from acting to humanitarian acts. Now I would like to address the Mark guy's post. I actually did share it along with many other posts that had to do with honoring Robin. I think he has some valid points. I don't agree with everything he said but for the most part, I do think Robin made a choice. He could have chosen differently. Granted his body/brain didn't allow him to see the other choices as valid options. This doesn't make it any less a choice. To label it otherwise I think does give the false impression that if you hit rock bottom with depression you have no other choice. I want everyone to know there are other options. It may not feel like it. You may not be able to see it. Others may not even recognize the signs but there are other choices. There is help out there. Hopefully Robin Williams death will help people to see that depression can happen to anyone. I hope that in talking about depression and mental illness, people will be open and honest and accepting of all viewpoints. While I may disagree with some of the posters that hated Matt's blog post, I think it is great to have another viewpoint whether Matt's naysayers or lovers.  Mental illness not only affects the one with the illness but everyone around them. No two people will have the exact same reaction or views on the subject but by learning as much as possible about it and being open to all sides, hopefully we can help those that need it the most.