Menu

Today is ds 19th birthday. He does not like traditional cake with icing

lynn

I have asked for strawberry pretzel salad a couple of years.

My grandmother wanted cheesecake for her 90th this year.

Oldest DS, whose birthday is this week, wanted a Chess pie (and who can blame him?) but then he realized we couldn't put a Power Ranger on there. So he's having a regular cake after all. :lol:

Cheesecake.

I've gone with this several years now as my birthday cake, since I can make a good GF free crust now with a shortbread type cookie and serve it with fresh peaches.

This may be my year without a cake, I just realized with my kitchen all torn up. But maybe I'll get around to making the filling here and bake it later today at Moms.

My oldest DS always wants a pumpkin pie.  His birthday is in the latter part of November, so close to (and sometimes on) Thanksgiving, when there's pumpkin pie around anyway.  But he always wants one of his very own.

Hey.....mine, too!  Very close to, and sometimes on, Thanksgiving.  I wonder if we share?  

I'm another that always requests pie.  Often pumpkin, because I love it, but I've also requested pecan, key lime, cherry, and coconut cream.  Oh, and cheesecake, which is really a pie in my world.  

Most of my boys prefer other things to  cake so we've had giant cookies, 'ice cream' cakes (homemade), brownies, pie, mini cheesecakes, doughnuts (homemade), aebleskiver. 

The weirdest cake I've seen was made of layers of brownie (cooked) and uncooked cookie dough held together with ganache. Wow. 

MIL made dh (before we were married) a peanut butter....pudding? instant pudding with cool whip or something and peanut butter with a hard chocolate top in a square, sided dish.

For his 7th birthday, ds wanted to make his very own cheesecakes (MasterChef fan) so I found an easy Bisquick recipe and he made a cheesecake all by himself. With sugared blueberries on top. :)

Before that year, I always made apple-sauce spice cake cup cakes for the kids' birthdays with lightly sweetened whipping cream on top instead of frosting.

My father always has pumpkin pie, too - another Nov bday.  DH is a chocolate cheesecake man.  And I'm all about pie, any fruit pie really, but I usually have cake - whatever someone else makes for me is good.  I'm not too picky.

This thread makes me want Key Lime Pie though!

Does he like Angel Food Cake? My MIL makes a frosting/filling by mixing Cool Whip, a jar of hot fudge sauce, and chopped up Heath candy bars.

My mom would always make me angel food cake with strawberries, bananas, vanilla pudding, and whipped cream--sort of trifle-like but only still in cake form.

There's always a birthday cookie.

We call it heaven in a(n) (Oreo) pie crust:  cream cheese, whipped cream, and powdered sugar base layer with milk chocolate and butterscotch pudding mixed together with a topping of whipped cream if you like.

Pound cake with different glazes - today is my dear son's birthday, so the glazes today are tart lemon glaze and also a brown sugar glaze added per slice not together. ;)  Oh, and whipped cream for those who prefer it. 

Coffee Cake

My husband either has pie or trifle for his. My dd's is one day after--so far, still cake for her!

Ds's birthday is today and dh's is tomorrow.  Dh ALWAYS has chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, so ds feels free to try other things for his birthday.  And they NEVER share a cake or party. :)

Ds, almost 18, has his birthday next Monday, and then ds, almost 13, has his birthday the following Sunday.  

Sugar overload: 4 birthdays in 14 days.