Menu

Apparently we all want to show our BooKs to the world

Janie Grace

Grrrrrr! I just got back from the the Loft, which has been my go-to place for casual-but-nice tops. I tried on about 15 different shirts and they ALL show a lot of cleavage or are see-through! Every last one. Is it impossibly to find a somewhat cute T without having to wear a cami?!? Sheesh, I'm so frustrated!

I got some from Lands End but they were (sorry) frumpy. Just not flattering.

Any ideas? I'm big-chested but small waist/hipped -- which makes things challenging even without the see-through and cleaving-baring factors.

Grrrrrr! I just got back from the the Loft, which has been my go-to place for casual-but-nice tops. I tried on about 15 different shirts and they ALL show a lot of cleavage or are see-through! Every last one. Is it impossibly to find a somewhat cute T without having to wear a cami?!? Sheesh, I'm so frustrated!

I got some from Lands End but they were (sorry) frumpy. Just not flattering.

Any ideas? I'm big-chested but small waist/hipped -- which makes things challenging even without the see-through and cleaving-baring factors.

Great. I was looking at the Loft website last night and was going to go today to try some things on.   I'm sick of trying on summer tops that I have to wear a cami under.  Summer = hot weather = desire not to wear multiple layers of clothing. 

I'm sorry.  Obviously I have no ideas. 

I think it's a conspiracy to make us have to buy more clothes. I have almost NO tops that I can wear without a cami under. It's ridiculous. Seeing your bra cups above the neckline of a shirt is not stylish or desirable to most people , so why do they keep making clothes like that?!?

It's not just about the look, it's about the extra laundry!

Seems like much of the clothing for girls is the same way (thin and low cut) and they've got nothing to show.

I personally think it's a merchandising scam to sell one shirt for the price of two.

I started noticing this a couple of summers ago. It gets so stinking hot around here that the very idea of layering makes me sweat profusely!

I hate it, which is why I've found that I need to buy my stuff from department stores like Macy's, rather than Target. Macy's sale prices are really as cheap as Target's. Plus, since more mature women shop there, the clothing is more geared toward things I like.

I actually don't mind showing cleavage (cleavage is very common where i live).

But, I still layer a tank under almost all shirts. That is just the way almost everything is made right now. It's meant to be layered.

I don't know how big you are, but IMHO, showing cleavage when you're a DD like I am looks tacky. Like I'm trying to be a s*x pot or something. Guys do double takes. They're just... BIG.

It's almost 100 degrees here. Layers are from the devil.

The see through thing I totally don't get.  I saw someone in a totally see through dress earlier today on the street.  She had on undergarments that were clearly meant to be seen through, but it was still really weird to me.

But if something is low cut, since my books are basically novellas, not epics, it's actually more flattering on me without showing off much.  So maybe novellas are in right now?

Or maybe showing off epic books is in.  Another possibility.

I refuse to buy any shirt that has to be layered to be decent. It's silly. And it's just another way clothing manufacturers rip women off. I'll stick with quality places like Talbots and LL Bean. If that makes me frumpy then so be it. Better frumpy than a sucker. Or burning up hot from layered clothing in the summer.

I refuse to buy any shirt that has to be layered to be decent. It's silly. And it's just another way clothing manufacturers rip women off. I'll stick with quality places like Talbots and LL Bean. If that makes me frumpy then so be it. Better frumpy than a sucker. Or burning up hot from layered clothing in the summer.

But they aren't frumpy. Both Talbots and Bean have fitted women's t-shirts. 

Fruit of the Loom, I think, makes what they call "sports bras".  They are really just more supportive upper halves of a tank top.  They look really nice under things and are pretty cheap. 

ETA: I just googled and, yes, it is Fruit of the Loom.  I'd link but I can't.

I have taken to thrift store shopping for camis. I then buy the cute top that I like but shows more than I personally want to show, and then I cut out the top three inches og the cami across the width and hand tack it into the underarm seams. I have the inset without wearing a second shirt when it's hot out. I also do not have to worry about making sure the right cami is clean at the same time as the shirt it is worn with...I can usually get the cami's for $2.00 each.

I have taken to thrift store shopping for camis. I then buy the cute top that I like but shows more than I personally want to show, and then I cut out the top three inches og the cami across the width and hand tack it into the underarm seams. I have the inset without wearing a second shirt when it's hot out. I also do not have to worry about making sure the right cami is clean at the same time as the shirt it is worn with...I can usually get the cami's for $2.00 each.

This is a great idea too. You could probably sew them right into the neckline.

This is a great idea too. You could probably sew them right into the neckline.

Depends on the cut. Sometimes there isn't a seam in the neckline to tack it to without the stiches showing. I've been thrilled with the outcome because I get really nice tops without the double layer.

I have the same hourglass sort of figure and I wear jersey sundresses all summer long.  I get about half of them from OldNavy.com dress sales, and half from other random stores.

Thanks! I never shop at old navy, but based on your recommendation, just purchased three jersey wrap dresses on sale. Whee! I almost never find clothes I like, so this is a big deal! :)

I don't know how big you are, but IMHO, showing cleavage when you're a DD like I am looks tacky. Like I'm trying to be a s*x pot or something. Guys do double takes. They're just... BIG.

It's almost 100 degrees here. Layers are from the devil.

I'm a DD.

I don't feel like anyone is leering at me but even if they were I don't mind.

I actually love Loft shirts because they are light and airy and cool.  I occasionally show some cleavage in hot weather when I don't want to layer, but I don't care.  BUT.  I bought a few t-shirts this year at Costco.  These suckers are form fitting (i.e. not baggy) and don't show any cleavage.  They are a little thick for when it's hot, but they definitely serve a purpose!

So if I show cleavage I'm either indecent or a sucker or both. Nice.

Anyway, I live in a hot hot place, and I hate a full cami. I have several half camis from Second Base. Expensive but you can catch sales.

ETA: Here the link to Second Base

Sorry if I offended you. *I* feel uncomfortable showing cleavage. I don't judge others who do as "indecent." I just prefer mine to be covered up.

Thanks for the link!

Fruit of the Loom, I think, makes what they call "sports bras".  They are really just more supportive upper halves of a tank top.  They look really nice under things and are pretty cheap. 

ETA: I just googled and, yes, it is Fruit of the Loom.  I'd link but I can't.

I wear these.  They are cotton and very breathable. :001_smile:

So if I show cleavage I'm either indecent or a sucker or both. Nice.

Anyway, I live in a hot hot place, and I hate a full cami. I have several half camis from Second Base. Expensive but you can catch sales.

ETA: Here the link to Second Base

Thanks for the link! I just may order something.

Sorry if I offended you. *I* feel uncomfortable showing cleavage. I don't judge others who do as "indecent." I just prefer mine to be covered up.

Thanks for the link!

First, like the others, I was going to suggest a cami.  I'm not comfortable with cleavage either.  My daughter likes to buy sports bras in different colors.  Then they are multi-purpose: she runs in them and wears them underneath things.

Secondly, I just wanted to tell you what a kind and gracious response you had here!  I'm with you...just because I'm not comfortable with it doesn't mean I'm judging the rest of the world.  

Oh boo hoo. You HAVE cleavage. I'm sad for you.

I'd prefer to just be average.

I lost weight and hoped they'd shrink ... instead I went from 38DD to 32G. All those cute cute v-neck tops that everyone else wears? When I wear them, they look positively indecent, in a "don't bend over -- you might fall out!" sort of way.

I look at people who have C cups and I'm envious.

Thanks for the link!

You didn't offend me. It was another post I was referring to. I have no problem if women want to show cleavage or not. I prefer less to no cleavage myself most times. I love the second base cami. I also have sports bras but sometimes you don't want the uniboob look.

J Crew?  Gap?  Macy's?  I just bought a couple shirts from Loft that were more conservative, but they are made out of more blouse-like material rather than T-shirt material.  Still, they look nice with jeans.  (And Loft is having a 40% off sale right now)  Also, they tend to have more available online.

http://www.loft.com/floral-bow-neck-shell/348705?colorExplode=false&skuId=17101165&catid=catl000011&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=7142

http://www.loft.com/floral-linen-sleeveless-tee/334787?colorExplode=false&skuId=16661271&catid=catl000011&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=0251

You didn't offend me. It was another post I was referring to. I have no problem if women want to show cleavage or not. I prefer less to no cleavage myself most times. I love the second base cami. I also have sports bras but sometimes you don't want the uniboob look.

The other poster was me. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I would feel like a sucker if I bought clothes so thin I had to layer. That's me. I realize other people totally like the look. Or like wearing camis. No judgment from me on either one. But It's totally not for me.

The other poster was me. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I would feel like a sucker if I bought clothes so thin I had to layer. That's me. I realize other people totally like the look. Or like wearing camis. No judgment from me on either one. But It's totally not for me.

And I'm sorry, too, if what I said offended.

I am not lobbying for an either-or solution. We need both-and clothing options that will meet needs across the board.

I have cleavage (DD) and it shows, but I do try to minimize it some sometimes.

Believe it or not, I just bought several t-shirts from Lands End that are neither frumpy/old-ladyish nor indecent.  They are plain fitted scoop-neck t-shirts.  The material is great, they're comfortable and form-fitting, but they do show a tad bit of cleavage.   Then again,  I simply cannot really help that a whole lot.

Might be worth checking out as an option, is what I'm trying to say.