Menu

Gah! Anyone else realize NOW is the time start planning for fall??

I just realiized YESTERDAY all the stuff I still need to get planned for Fall! By 'stuff' I mean outsourced classes and PE. By 'Fall', I mean August!

Was anyone else hit over the head with this recently or are most of you ultra-organized and have had it planned since Christmas? B)

Talk to me! :bigear:

I will talk to you:)

I have ordered / purchased just about everything, but I have a lot of THINKING left to do. I just made a major decision to change writing around...for the bazillionth time.

My son is going into 8th grade and I am not sure what country we will live in when he starts high school. At times, I panic about this. Mostly, I try to just place one foot in front of the other...

Everything is bought.  Scheduled out.  I am currently just tweaking the writing assignments. I spent 2 hours planning out my son's geography grade 9 high school credit yesterday.  He goes into grade 8 this September.  I wish I could get a full time job planning things out like this.  I love doing it and it comes very easy to me.

Anyone want to hire me to schedule out their kids schoolwork? LOL

I have some curriculum purchases left.  For some outsourced classes, it is the same as this school year so I just confirmed my boys will be returning in Fall. 

There are some that I have to register them for because registration has not opened for Fall.  Those classes, hubby and I have discussed and agreed on. 

I wish I could go ahead and schedule our outsourced classes, but the availability of classes won't even be ready until the beginning of August out here! It drives me crazy not to know for sure what classes will be available that we might be interested in!

I have the big picture done. Outsourced classes are enrolled, main curriculum/spines purchased. I still have quite a bit of planning to do though. I also have some books to buy, but it is mostly the small stuff, or books for the online classes that I don't need until class starts (no planning for me!). 

I actually resist the urge to plan next year the current school year ends. Then I take a few weeks to do my paper work, update transcripts, make portfolios, make sure my course descriptions are complete and relax a little before I start actual lesson plans. I actually started yesterday :)

What do you mean start planning? All items planned, program plans submitted to our school board, online classes registered in, most items ordered, remaining ones are in cart waiting for when my funding for next year kicks in to pay for them.  Lesson plans are started but will have a lot of work this summer to do with those.

Gah. I'm usually in the "everything ordered, lessons planned, and copying commenced by May" crowd, but this school year has left me reeling and exhausted, mostly from non school-related life issues. I have my list made and just need to actually place my orders. Then plan lessons. Then copy/list/file. Gah.

I'll think about that tomorrow.

I might go back to bed for a bit just now.

I thought I was settled, except for schedule tweaking. And then...I was offered a job with the group we weren't planning to return to, and now...I'm back at square one basically for history/science/geography/arts.

Writing (which isn't actually related to the above situation) has me spinning, when I thought I was settled. I just don't know if it's going to be a good fit for my DS8.

The 3Rs for my first grader are easy enough, though, and set. Just keep on keeping on. (RSB, OPGTR, WWE1/HWOT)

I just realiized YESTERDAY all the stuff I still need to get planned for Fall! By 'stuff' I mean outsourced classes and PE. By 'Fall', I mean August!

Was anyone else hit over the head with this recently or are most of you ultra-organized and have had it planned since Christmas? B)

I didn't read the other posts, but actually, in my world NOW is VERY LATE to start planning for fall.  Many online classes are already full and have been for quite some time.  

I'm going nuts with our local group of moms who are taking forever to decide on days/locations for some classes we were planning for fall.  I need to know so I can decide if we can fit them into our schedule, or if I need to find something we will use on our own.

ETA: I have done no purchasing of books yet, and still have some at home courses to plan.  

Yeah, I planned everything out . . . in some *weird* fantasy world where I only have one child who wants to do nothing but schoolwork all day and I don't work, or even cook or clean or leave the house.   :tongue_smilie:

Now I'm busy trying to plan for the actual life/world/family that I've got.  :001_rolleyes:

I like to start planning in February. It feels new, clean, and refreshing while trying to survive that dreaded month!

My general plan/resources are set. I have a little ordering to do. Once my portfolios are done, I'll throw myself into Ideal mode by lessoplanning/scheduling through the summer. Homeschooling Theory excites me way more than Homeschooling Practice, lol..

Most of my stuff has been bought already, since I'm one of those who started planning around Christmas.  :laugh: We're still trying to figure out what to do for extracurriculars, like PE and music, but otherwise everything is pretty much set. 

Well, some of you I think are just over-achievers! B)  The rest of you I completely understand!

Now to actually figure out what WE will be doing!

Less overachieving here and more of a tightwad. :lol:  I try to buy nearly everything used, which requires me to start shopping WAY in advance in order to get a decent price for whatever I'm looking for. It doesn't help that I like to use things that aren't as "mainstream," (where is the hipster smiley?) and are therefore harder to find to begin with. The only stuff I've got left to buy are things I have to order new. I keep putting it off to spare my pocketbook the pain.

MY problem is, we still haven't finished this year! :smash:   I wanted to be further along in history....we still have not completed our science book (bc we finished our other one and started this later in the year)......we just started this cool Coursera course......  And then I am making a dr. appt. and she says "Okay so a couple weeks takes us into July" and I am thinking "wait! wait! where is my summer break!!!"   :lol:

So--- I haven't looked at next year!  I have thought about it tho and have bought bits and pieces.  But have not sat down and really planned it. *sigh*

I have everything in hand or on it's way, minus a couple things left straggling. Eldest ds is enrolled in his on-line class. I am almost done making my lesson planning/reading/watching check lists for each kid. I need to finish my checklists so I can start actually doing the lesson planning. Unfortunately I had the realization the other morning that I'm going to have to write a note-taking guide for eldest ds's history this coming year. He will need some hand holding to know what to write down. I'm not looking forward to that.

MY problem is, we still haven't finished this year! :smash:   I wanted to be further along in history....we still have not completed our science book (bc we finished our other one and started this later in the year)......we just started this cool Coursera course......  And then I am making a dr. appt. and she says "Okay so a couple weeks takes us into July" and I am thinking "wait! wait! where is my summer break!!!"   :lol:

So--- I haven't looked at next year!  I have thought about it tho and have bought bits and pieces.  But have not sat down and really planned it. *sigh*

Oh, we haven't finished this year either, so you aren't alone.  We'll be working through the summer.  Dc know it is b/c of how much time they put into their extracurriculars, so it's a choice we made.  That's one of the reasons I hate having to decide about online classes so early in spring--I've just got so much of our current year to finish it's very hard to think about where we'll be in the fall. 

Here it's to late.  All of the outside classes have been registered and paid for, and most filled up months ago (the only exception was WTM).  All of the books and materials have been ordered, most have already arrived.  Now I'm just working on my studies in preparation for teaching my Rhetoric student.  I currently working on TOG Y1 Unit 2.  We have eight weeks until we start the new school year.   :willy_nilly:

I feel like there's no summer this year and, to be honest, I am craving a fall routine. Our spring was so crazy with family needs and events, I really just want to settle into a schedule. For the first time in a few years, I am actually excited about planning and hope to do some serious classroom space rearranging.

Hi... kinda new here and just have a Preschooler but with this being my first year and trying to balance my need for structure and my desire not to overwhelm my DD... I'm feeling the crunch.  Add to that the fact that I just quit full time teaching and may or may not go back part time in the fall (waiting for my boss to call me to discuss possibilities) and having no idea what my schedule will be like.... I feel like I'm in limbo. 

Everything is bought. Scheduled out. I am currently just tweaking the writing assignments. I spent 2 hours planning out my son's geography grade 9 high school credit yesterday. He goes into grade 8 this September. I wish I could get a full time job planning things out like this. I love doing it and it comes very easy to me.

Anyone want to hire me to schedule out their kids schoolwork? LOL

I will! I need 7th grade science planned and I HATE science! Everything else is done but I just can't bring myself to tackle science. My dd loves science...

I know what I want to use (see sig.....although even some of that still feels tentative). I have most of what we would use next year already here. I start thinking about it around Feb and slowly plan and make a few minor  purchases that don't require complete commitment. I have to make my final decision in purchasing our foreign languages. 

And then I need to order a few consumable workbooks which I'll get closer to the time we want to start them.

The chore I tend to procrastinate as long as possible is organizing the book shelves and the supply closets/drawers. Also, I tend to procrastinate the lesson planning. 

This hit me last week.  I have most of our outside stuff scheduled, and I placed a big order last week.  Now I am waiting for box day and remembering all the things that I forgot.  Next I have to figure out when we are going to do all this cool stuff ...

Well now you have me thinking. We still have 6 months left of the school year but I should start planning and buying now as Christmas and buying a years worth of curric for 3 kids do not go well together.

Thanks for the reminder.

I've done my shopping and scheduling... but I have one resource that needs to be converted from its intended group/classroom design to a one-student homeschool, and I'm feeling stuck. (Fortunately, it was free.)

That's basically all that stands between me and ProClicking my September booklet. So everything else is in a pile. :/

Just beginning the process. I have it mostly figured out in my head but you all know how well that goes. So, need to get it down on paper, making lists, purchases, lesson plans, etc. I actually enjoy the process but need to get it jumpstarted. We won't start back officially until the last week of August so I have time. 

I don't plan much, I just select materials. Which was very easy: in math, we simply take the next book in the sequence; in Italian, we continue where we left off; in history+literature, we had finished Ancients and thus will move into the Middle ages, for which I have more TC lectures and books than we can fit.

I may still make a schedule for DS' chemistry if I am so inclined - but really, he simply has to work through the book and do the selected problems; there is no need for an actual schedule.

DS will not betaking any outside classes.

So, I am done and have been for weeks. Not scheduling simplifies planning a LOT :-)

I know what I plan to use and have purchased it. Much if it is planned out, because much of it is just "do the next thing," and I've been working in little spurts off and in for a few months. Earth science is taking me a while to put together. I spent several days in the last couple of weeks setting up a new computer and printer for our schoolroom, which should really make things easier for us, but without the printer, I was unable to print stuff, and the portfolios for this year had to be done first. So now the fun begins, getting all of the printouts and everything. We will start in early July, but we won't be at full speed until August, so I have more time to get ready.

I don't plan much, I just select materials. Which was very easy: in math, we simply take the next book in the sequence; in Italian, we continue where we left off; in history+literature, we had finished Ancients and thus will move into the Middle ages, for which I have more TC lectures and books than we can fit.

I may still make a schedule for DS' chemistry if I am so inclined - but really, he simply has to work through the book and do the selected problems; there is no need for an actual schedule.

DS will not betaking any outside classes.

So, I am done and have been for weeks. Not scheduling simplifies planning a LOT :-)

I hear you, I don't do daily schedules in advance either, but I do find that my eyes are bigger than my stomach and my list of resources starts to get ridiculously long.  So throwing all of that into a virtual calendar helps to confirm - yes, I'm truly crazy to think we can do all that in a year!

Shannon and I went through our history/science resources list yesterday, and threw out one book and one TC course that we'd been hoping to cover, and it feels slightly more doable now.

I hear you, I don't do daily schedules in advance either, but I do find that my eyes are bigger than my stomach and my list of resources starts to get ridiculously long.  So throwing all of that into a virtual calendar helps to confirm - yes, I'm truly crazy to think we can do all that in a year!

Shannon and I went through our history/science resources list yesterday, and threw out one book and one TC course that we'd been hoping to cover, and it feels slightly more doable now.

Oh, I always have more stuff on my lit+history list than we actually cover. That's fine. I let my kids chose what materials they want to use. I have plenty of books on the list so that we can afford the luxury to ditch the occasional book if they can't get into it (DD did not like Tucydides, for example). In the end, as long as they put in the time on task, it really does not matter all that much what exactly they have chosen to include since everything on the list is good ;-)

We never finish everything, and it is not my intent. I am striving to offer a buffet of options, and they can customize their personal mix of textbook, audio lectures and literature. You don't finish all food on a buffet either :-)

Meh. I don't get serious about planning until mid-July really. At this point, I just throw the occasional idea or link into my planning tabs in OneNote.

I can't even begin thinking about planning until we're at the end of the school year, when I can assess how things have gone. My kids grow and change so much over the course of each year that anything I'd plan in February would be shot by the time we used it. When my older kids were little, I'd start planning next year in the middle of winter, just to stave off burn out. Now, I don't look ahead as eagerly, because each year passing means one more year closer to all of the kids moving out on me!

I'm building a world geography course for my rising 8th grader, so I do have a spreadsheet set up for him, and I'm trying to get some stuff plugged in there occasionally. That's the extent of my planning though!

Yes.  I've had the same revelation numerous times, and each time I promptly stick my head back in the sand.  Which resulted in me looking at a calendar at work today and being struck with the "Oh, crap.  June is almost over."

Oh crap, indeed. I didn't realize until you mentioned it that June is almost over. And, to make matters worse, we're traveling on sabbatical from June 30 to July 20 and then again from July 26 to August 9. I've actually elected to stay home this week from a trip to get the house ready for the cat sitter and figure out what I have to do in order to get homeschool organized. Me thinks I will be a hermit this week.

Our dance studio still hasn't come out with the fall schedule (they do this every year - take forever to figure it out).  I am not sure if it is true or not, but I tell myself that once I have that, then I can plan everything else around it.  So I wait in limbo for someone else.  Now it is possible that I use that as an excuse not to make the decisions - because really, I could decide more of the daytime stuff even without that info...

I need to THINK about next year. I'm not sure how to manage electives for my oldest. Do one a quarter? we are doing history this summer (and LOVING it!) How do I use that to my advantage this fall? I want to block schedule science and history. But what will that look like? Can I block other items? I added *more* to our schedule for next year (as requested by both dds), but I'd like to have fewer subjects per day. I'm also not sure how to balance this much academics! How will both kids get everything done?! What about the boys? I'd also like to figure out a way that more help is being given around the house from the kids. they are great with helping when asked, but I forget to ask, and *I* am trying to do too much. I need a way to give them the responsibility, without asking them to do it. need to figure that one out first and get them trained before school starts. I need to think through the schedule... But everything is bought and on my shelves, so that's a plus :-).