Menu

Mayonnaise on a pulled pork sandwich

Mimm

137 members have voted

1. 1. Is Mayonnaise on a pulled pork sandwich revolting?

• Completely revolting
    • Not revolting

In the interest of full disclosure, I find mayonnaise revolting under almost all circumstances. But to abuse a yummy pulled pork sandwich like this seems morally wrong! (Yes, I'm being melodramatic, but we tend to harass each other like this in good fun.) :)

I love mayo but never on a pulled pork sandwich.

My favorite cole slaw recipe was designed to be used on a pulled pork sandwich, and it is mayo-based, so clearly it is not unheard-of.  I believe the cookbook I got the recipe from was from a North Carolina-style barbecue place.   I eat the slaw as a side to the pulled pork.  I don't like bbq sauce either.   I just use vinegar sauce (cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, tabasco.)

I will put extra mayo on other types of sandwiches.  When I was a kid I would eat cucumber sandwiches but really the cukes were just an excuse to eat white bread and mayo.

I didn't vote. While I wouldn't put mayo on a pulled pork sandwich I would put cole slaw and it usually has mayo, so . . . I dunno. Not completely revolting, but not something I'd do.

This exactly. Especially if the pulled pork has a bit of nice, tangy barbeque sauce mixed in it too.

Coleslaw on pulled pork? Now THAT is revolting.

It is definitely a Southern thing.  I hadn't ever had it before we moved here.  Now you can't go anywhere without pulled pork and slaw.

I have done it at home and it was good. Now, I don't eat sweet, ketchupy bbq sauce at all. Bbq is pork with a vinegar based sauce, served usually with vinegar based bbq slaw. Mayo based cole slaw goes on hotdogs and hamburgers, along with mustard, ketchup, cheese, and chili (onion if one cares for that). Duke's is the only proper brand of mayo, btw, since it has no sugar ;).

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/red-bbq-slaw/