Menu

Kate Middleton and undergarments

Moxie

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it showed Prince William's fanny (see British definition) then the photograph would just be the beginning of an interesting set of stories.

L

Yes, I found out the hard way, as a speaker at international sales meetings, that "backside" is a much safer choice.  

Grow UP, people.   :toetap05:      

:smilielol5:

It's kind of funny, because just about a month or two ago there was some gossipy story (moi?  i must have been at the dentist's office...or something!) about how Queen Elizabeth was getting cranky with her grand-daughter-in-law about her short skirts and told her to start wearing her hems at the knee, and to use weights in the hems.  

I guess KM is getting Royal I Told You So right about now.

I wear shorts that could be worn as regular shorts but are tighter than I would wear without a long t-shirt over them covering my entire butt.  I wear the shorts because my thighs get chapped if I do a lot of walking around in a skirt without them.  Especially if it's really hot. 

Even without that, I just feel much more comfortable and it has nothing to do with the chance of someone seeing my undies.  I work in an office building, sitting at a computer most of the time.  My skirts are all between knee and ankle length.  It would take something pretty crazy to show my undies.

I think part of it is also because I wear pads during "that time of the month" and things feel more secure with the shorts on.

I wear bike shorts under my skirts because I don't like my thighs rubbing together.

I was under the impression that Kate and the royal family got very upset over the pictures and did not want them published. I personally don't care what kind of undergarments anyone wears but if I were repeatedly photographed with my skirt blowing up I would look for a solution such as a slip, full coverage underwear or weighted hems.

This seems to be a recurring issue for her. If she is finding it to be a problem, then she might benefit from some more generous undies.

I assumed from the array of not-quite-indecent pictures on Google that she was unbothered by an occasional bare upper thigh.

I have never in my life known a single person who wore bike shorts under their dresses. Or any kind of shorts.

People really do that?

I personally know of some moms who do it for comfort.  Wearing bike shorts prevents the thighs from rubbing together.  I'm not a skirt girl so I don't have to worry about it.

I do!! I wear Jockey SlipShorts under all dresses and skirts. They're like super light weight spanx. They stop any rubbing and work like a slip. I love them.

Oh, those might work for the few skirts I need a slip for because of static sling to my tights.

Those are an undergarment, tho'. Do you wear underwear UNDER your Jockey SlipShorts?

"Shorts" implies to me, an item of outerwear that can be wore on their own, on top of underwear.

So when people said they wear shorts under their skirts and dresses, I was thinking of an item that WASN'T an undergarment.

Maybe I've got it wrong, tho' and shorts is some new name for an undergarment.

Of course not. That would be overkill. :)

tmi tmi tmi  lol

I don't personally know anyone who wears shorts or even spanky pants under their skirts unless they are on some sort of cheer or drill team.

My girls do, too. They've worn shorts of some kind under their dresses since they were out of diapers. They have a little more say now, but still go for bike shorts out of habit and for the freedom of not worrying what shows when they play.

To each their own. I have no problem with that. But most skirts/dresses I have seen in stores would not even cover the bottom of the shorts. Last time I went to the store looking for a dress I was really shocked that the hem line was about the same on everything. Not much choice.

Nope, not much choice right now unless you want snug and shorter than mid-thigh. Much of what I'm seeing now puts me in mind of the original Star Trek tv show, but in that the women always had matching short shorts on under their uniform "dresses".

I don't wear skirts or dresses much anymore (though I prefer longer and flow-y when I do) because I loathe the panty-hose options in my size and can't go without some sort of stocking or sock inside my shoe (I get blisters otherwise). Between this and my preference for mid-calf or longer I don't face the discussed issue much. Though if I did I would look for skorts in adult sizes to get the coverage without layering waistbands.

I used to feel that way as well, but now that I wear a (American) size 8, those days have passed. I won't even wear a bathing suit in public anymore, so I certainly don't want anyone to see my underwear. :huh:

Now, if I had a body like the Duchess of Cambridge, I wouldn't mind nearly as much if my underwear occasionally showed. ;)

I am wistfully remembering my high school days as a skinny bean pole teen with a high metabolism and energy to spare -- your remark about American size 8 set it off because that's the size I was then. (Part of me would kill to be that thin again.)

However, life brings changes, and the body changes with it. I appear to be firmly in size 16 clothes now, which DH says is beautiful and gorgeous even with the sags and wrinkles and scars. And it's too hot down here to NOT wear a swimsuit in public, so you bet I am! I just make sure they have good butt coverage and the cleavage isn't too low or loose.

Yes, this.

I still don't think the world will stop turning if someone inadvertently catches a glimpse of panties, even if they are larger than size 5.

My not-quite-13-year-old DD is already in women's size 6 undies, and she is average size among kids her age down here. I fail to see why clothing manufacturers seem to think size 5 is normal for full-grown women.

My not-quite-13-year-old DD is already in women's size 6 undies, and she is average size among kids her age down here. I fail to see why clothing manufacturers seem to think size 5 is normal for full-grown women.

I said size 5 because that is the smallest size women's underwear I find in run of the mill clothing stores. I guessed if someone wore less than a size 8 pants they would probably wear a 5. I expect most women are wearing larger than that. And they needn't feel it is so terrible that it must be hidden at all costs.

I said size 5 because that is the smallest size women's underwear I find in run of the mill clothing stores. I guessed if someone wore less than a size 8 pants they would probably wear a 5. I expect most women are wearing larger than that. And they needn't feel it is so terrible that it must be hidden at all costs.

Yes, but size 5 is the size that gets the most variety of styles and fabrics, styles which only go through size 7 at largest (which isn't all that big). Luckily DD wants to be a fashion designer and own a mall, and she's taking notes on what REAL women (as opposed to the fashionable "ideal", not saying smaller women aren't real) need and want!

As an adult I have worn size 5 before. That was before I had a kid. Women come in all shapes and sizes. Why not offer that size for adults? Should they have to shop in the girls' department forever? lol

I apologize -- I misspoke. I should have said I wonder why the fashion folk think size 5 is predominant for full-grown women. There are always LOTS more styles, fabrics, and sheer volume of panties on the shelves for the smallest sizes than for the larger ones.

I agree with the Queen on this one. She's a Royal ...she needs to wear underwear in public or use hemweights especially if she is going to be climbing up and down a lot of plane stairs in front of people.

Especially if she doesn't like them taking these pictures of her. She knows the way the paparazzi operate. If she doesn't care about it then fair enough, but I do find it a bit annoying when they ( the royals) to things like this and then whine about the consequences. I don't think pictures like this should be taken, but let's face it, that's reality and if you don't like it then take the appropriate precautions.

If it showed Prince William's fanny (see British definition) then the photograph would just be the beginning of an interesting set of stories.

L

Oh my! I never knew that!! Could you just imagine??! :lol:

I do!! I wear Jockey SlipShorts under all dresses and skirts. They're like super light weight spanx. They stop any rubbing and work like a slip. I love them.

Oooh---- I never heard of this. Off to investigate! :auto:

I don't personally know anyone who wears shorts or even spanky pants under their skirts unless they are on some sort of cheer or drill team.

I rarely wear dresses or skirts but if I do I wear bike shorts or leggings under them.  I fidget too much and don't feel comfortable with the thought of showing off more than needs to be shown.  A lot of the ladies at my church <50 wear above knee length dresses with the capri leggings to keep things modest. I think it looks cute.

These stupid paparazzi photographs are like taking a single sentence out of context. Your skirt blows up for a split second (even more than once), and they make it look like you're always walking around with your underwear showing. It's ridiculous. Even Queen Elizabeth has had her skirt blow up on occasion, weights and coats and all. It happens. If someone took still photos of my every embarrassing moment, I'd be screwed.

These stupid paparazzi photographs are like taking a single sentence out of context. Your skirt blows up for a split second (even more than once), and they make it look like you're always walking around with your underwear showing. It's ridiculous. Even Queen Elizabeth has had her skirt blow up on occasion, weights and coats and all. It happens. If someone took still photos of my every embarrassing moment, I'd be screwed.

Amen

Given the amount of "costume changes" that she has a day,it would make sense that someone could get her a safe and appropriate outfit for walking out on the tarmac to the waiting helicopter or airplane. Save the lovely, blowy clothes for someplace not so windy, please!

Please tell me "size 8" is a typo.

I am wistfully remembering my high school days as a skinny bean pole teen with a high metabolism and energy to spare -- your remark about American size 8 set it off because that's the size I was then. (Part of me would kill to be that thin again.)

However, life brings changes, and the body changes with it. I appear to be firmly in size 16 clothes now, which DH says is beautiful and gorgeous even with the sags and wrinkles and scars. And it's too hot down here to NOT wear a swimsuit in public, so you bet I am! I just make sure they have good butt coverage and the cleavage isn't too low or loose.

I wouldn't stress about the numbers. Sizes are so convoluted now. Without looking too hard, I can find clothing in my 'high school size' that fits me today. I'm easily 3-4 sizes larger.

I personally know of some moms who do it for comfort.  Wearing bike shorts prevents the thighs from rubbing together.  I'm not a skirt girl so I don't have to worry about it.

From the looks of it, I don't think KM has much of a problem in the thigh rubbing together department. lol

I wore a size 6 right up until about 2 years ago. Actually, I wore a size 4 right up until I weaned my third kid and then jumped to a 6 and now an 8. My sister is in her mid 20's and is a 3-4 and my mom was a size 6 after having 7 kids. I actually don't know any woman in my family that hit a size 8 until they had at least had a few kids and even then only a couple of them made it there. I always though size 4-6 was what I was shooting for when I was a teen.

I do now realize that a healthy size is going to vary a LOT more then that.

I rarely wear dresses or skirts but if I do I wear bike shorts or leggings under them.  I fidget too much and don't feel comfortable with the thought of showing off more than needs to be shown.  A lot of the ladies at my church <50 wear above knee lengthses with the ca drespri leggings to keep things modest. I think it looks cute.

I've seen that look on college kids to 60 plus women. 

It's my go-to outfit for plane travel. Very comfy, but still a bit dressy, although not overly.  Comfy., but not sloppy.

I recently saw a picture of Price William in a speedo that was so tight it was obvious that he is not circumcised and yet we haven't heard a peep about it. 

He'd be a really unusual Brit if he were.  Not going to Google the photos though....

L

When I was a child, my favorite clothes were "cuolottes" -- the flowiness of skirts but divided in the middle so I didn't have to worry about them. I don't see anything like that anymore.

The culotte is alive and well in some pockets of the country. (Surprising to me, I was reintroduced to the culotte as an adult in the greater-greater-Seattle area.)

As an adult I have worn size 5 before. That was before I had a kid. Women come in all shapes and sizes. Why not offer that size for adults? Should they have to shop in the girls' department forever? lol

I can't help the size I wear anymore than a different size can.

Yes, but size 5 is the size that gets the most variety of styles and fabrics, styles which only go through size 7 at largest (which isn't all that big). Luckily DD wants to be a fashion designer and own a mall, and she's taking notes on what REAL women (as opposed to the fashionable "ideal", not saying smaller women aren't real) need and want!

Ok, my gripe...my clothing store options in a 20 mile radius are Walmart or Walmart. Ours seem to only cater to size 6 and above for women. I don't want Justin Bieber or One Direction on my undies, KWIM?

Ok, my gripe...my clothing store options in a 20 mile radius are Walmart or Walmart. Ours seem to only cater to size 6 and above for women. I don't want Justin Bieber or One Direction on my undies, KWIM?

I feel for you! But now I know where all those Bieber Britches went! I couldn't find any when a dear friend turned 16 and wouldn't tell anyone what she wanted for her birthday. I threatened to send Justin Bieber undies, but unfortunately couldn't find any that were appropriate.

I say I couldn't find any appropriate because there seems to be some Bieber lingerie online, mixed in with shots of him in his underwear. Had to watch several episodes of House to get that imagery out of my mind. (Guess I'll have to watch more House, since the memory of the image returned!)

Because there are normal full grown women who wear a size 5.

Exactly. I prefer not to have butterflies, little hearts, and bows all over my underwear.

Where are you shopping cause I don't see the most variety in styles and fabrics for size 5. It's 6 and up that I see.

Oh, and if you're not saying that smaller women aren't REAL women.....then don't say "on what REAL women need and want." Because you're contradicting yourself, but also making it clear as to what your true feelings are.

I'm small. I'm thin. I've had 3 babies. I'm pretty darn sure I'm real.

I know you stated that you misspoke, but yet I had to point out that saying "what real women need and want" and then saying in parenthesis that small women are real too doesn't justify the jab made toward thin women. It's kind of like saying, "I'm not prejudice but...."

A better way to voice your frustration would be something like, "I get frustrated that I don't see many options and variety in sizes 6 and up." There is no reason at all to throw in the phrase "REAL women." Ever. In any circumstance. We are all real women. Even if we wear underwear or not. ;)

AMJ, I'm not trying to pick on you and I'm not upset. I'm just always trying to get others to realize that sometimes what they think is harmless to say actually can hurt feelings and be insulting.

Underwear sizes and clothing sizes are not the same. When I was a size 8, my undies were still a 5 or maybe a 6.

I'm still flabbergasted that being a size 8 in clothing is something so shameful that one has to avoid swimming. My kids would really miss out on a lot of fun in that case, because my size-16 body is the one responsible for taking them swimming.

I am horrible person, but I think going sans underwear must be the only interesting thing this girl has done or wore as far as I can tell. I think her wardrobe is uninteresting and I think it's a bit like emperor's new clothes (no pun intended) with the media fawning over the amazing style displayed on their recent trip.

Now, I think the Queen has amazing style for her age.

I love you, Mom-Ninja! Thank you for saying what I get tired of saying every time I hear and read snarky comments about small women.

Because there are normal full grown women who wear a size 5.

Exactly. I prefer not to have butterflies, little hearts, and bows all over my underwear.

Where are you shopping cause I don't see the most variety in styles and fabrics for size 5. It's 6 and up that I see.

Oh, and if you're not saying that smaller women aren't REAL women.....then don't say "on what REAL women need and want." Because you're contradicting yourself, but also making it clear as to what your true feelings are.

I'm small. I'm thin. I've had 3 babies. I'm pretty darn sure I'm real.

I know you stated that you misspoke, but yet I had to point out that saying "what real women need and want" and then saying in parenthesis that small women are real too doesn't justify the jab made toward thin women. It's kind of like saying, "I'm not prejudice but...."

A better way to voice your frustration would be something like, "I get frustrated that I don't see many options and variety in sizes 6 and up." There is no reason at all to throw in the phrase "REAL women." Ever. In any circumstance. We are all real women. Even if we wear underwear or not. ;)

AMJ, I'm not trying to pick on you and I'm not upset. I'm just always trying to get others to realize that sometimes what they think is harmless to say actually can hurt feelings and be insulting.

I'm not really bothered by what she chooses to wear or not wear.  

I think she could dress a little wiser; she knows the press will be there with cameras ready.  Personally, I think they enjoy the attention.

(Btw, the photo I saw pictured the prince and princess head to toe and both cheeks; it was not an up view.)

On one hand, I feel sorry for her; I wouldn't want to live in that fishbowl and be subjected to those photographers catching every unflattering move.  OTOH, is she that much of a dope she can't learn that some body part will be exposed accidentally and someone will catch it and then she'll be embarrassed or angry?

On one hand, I feel sorry for her; I wouldn't want to live in that fishbowl and be subjected to those photographers catching every unflattering move.  OTOH, is she that much of a dope she can't learn that some body part will be exposed accidentally and someone will catch it and then she'll be embarrassed or angry?

Maybe she's not embarrassed. Not everyone feels embarrassed by unexpected skin showing. It's just skin. It's just a body. We all got one.  ;-)

Perhaps not, butt news reports said she was "furious, and considering suing".  OK, she's furious.  But was it really that unexpected that a wardrobe malfunction could occur in such a circumstance, and if she was furious, could it not have been avoided?  Why, yes, it could have, if it truly causes her such fury.

ETA:  I don't think I'd be furious; paparazzi are doing what they do  - catching the money shot.  But I just meant that if you don't want to be the centerpiece of the money shot, use some common sense, 'ya know?

Maybe she's not embarrassed. Not everyone feels embarrassed by unexpected skin showing. It's just skin. It's just a body. We all got one.  ;-)

Perhaps not, butt news reports said she was "furious, and considering suing".  OK, she's furious.  But was it really that unexpected that a wardrobe malfunction could occur in such a circumstance, and if she was furious, could it not have been avoided?  Why, yes, it could have, if it truly causes her such fury.

I didn't know her reaction (I'm woefully ignorant of social news like this), but the bolded phrase is priceless! I don't know if this was intentional or a Freudian slip, but it cracks me up! So perfect both ways!

heehee

I couldn't resist. 

I can't understand why she's angry, that's all.  Some people just set themselves up. 

I didn't know her reaction (I'm woefully ignorant of social news like this), but the bolded phrase is priceless! I don't know if this was intentional or a Freudian slip, but it cracks me up! So perfect both ways!

heehee

heehee

On a roll here...

ETA:  I don't think I'd be furious; paparazzi are doing what they do  - catching the money shot.  But I just meant that if you don't want to be the centerpiece of the money shot, use some common sense, 'ya know?

I'd be willing to bet that she's rather used to getting her way and the fury occurred when that didn't happen.

Doesn't she have an eating disorder? Or there is strong speculation in that direction..... it feels odd to be discussing photos of her legs and butt. 

I think she should wear whatever she wants, and a once-in-a-while  whoops! that reveals no more than a bikini shot is not a big deal.