Menu

If your son has long hair..

Before puberty started kicking in ds14 was mistaken for a girl all the time. He had/has a very nice complexion with naturally rosy cheeks.

Now must people realize he's a boy if they actually look past the hair.

He's never minded, he thinks it's funny people dint actually look.

We've had a few people ask when we are going to make him cut it. As long as he cares for it, he can keep it.

It suits him. Just like buzzed short hair suits his brother.

• Like 3

What is the reason the boys like having long hair?

Because bodily integrity is "default" and "you have to cut off part of yourself to fit in" is not the way anyone should have to live. If you don't like the way my kids look, then why don't you take advantage of the handy "swivel" feature your neck should have come with and look at a goshdarned petunia instead?

OP, your son's hair looks  like my older boy's, so I'll sing with the choir about a single ponytail or braid or perhaps a French braid if he's very active or if it is hot where you live. Keeping it contained most of the time will prevent breakage. He can use his fingers to get the tangles out, which takes a bit longer than combs and brushes, but also prevents breakage and damage to the cuticle that can cause it to tangle a lot easier. When you buy elastics, be sure to get the "snagless" kind without the metal clips on them and get the thick ones.

I think it's beautiful in the picture and it does not look dirty to me. Washing hair too often can make the sebaceous glands overproduce oils, which would probably be especially annoying for a teen. There are plenty of places on the internet where you can learn about alternatives to weekly (or is daily considered mainstream now?) use of commercial shampoos but that wasn't what you asked.

My little guy has thicker, curlier "mixed kid" hair so I cornrow it (yes, it takes the better part of the day but then there is absolutely NO hair care for the rest of the week), take each braid out individually and redo it seven days later, again seven days after that, and then take everything out the fourth week of the month to give his scalp a rest. He wears it in a braid that's as thick as my arm then and it does require daily detangling that makes us glad when it's time to put the cornrows back in because they are so much less work than loose hair, no matter how many "cool mommy points" I get when people find out I do them myself. ;)

His hair is almost tailbone length when it's wet and the curl is pulled out.

• Like 3

Well on the crazy neighbor thread, someone said their son was arrested and almost sent to jail because of people judging him to be something other than he is with his hair. Not a 9yr old, of course. I did mean older kids, not 9 yr olds. But that sort of stupidity happens no matter what, unfortunately. I have heard nasty comments {NOT MADE OR EVEN THOUGHT BY ME EVER!!!} like asking parents if they are raising their son to believe he's a girl or to be gay.

Seriously, I was only curious why some boys like their hair long. Self-expression is self-expression.

A boy in our homeschool group has long hair he usually wears in a braid halfway down his back. He also took gymnastics classes with my children. When I pointed him out to my DH, DH replied "that's a boy?" because this boy is SO BREATHTAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL. Really, just a beautiful, beautiful kid. And for whatever reason, it reads feminine. I'm curious to see what happens as he gets older and grows into a (possibly) more masculine look. 

If your son has long hair.

How long is it?

How does he style it?

I'm looking for ideas for my ds with long hair. He has long, thick, gorgeous hair.

Ds1- about mid-back. Ds2- about neck/ top of shoulders. However it's very curly, so. It doesn't look like it.

Long, loose, and free flowing for both. :)

My only stipulation is you must brush once a day and try to take care of it by deep conditioning once a week (we have somewhat thick and frizzy/ fly away hair here. As long as we care for it, then I don't care how long it grows.)

My ds has hair a few inches past his shoulder but it is very thick and curly/wavy.  His whole hair styling routine consists of brushing it down straight and then shaking his head really fast so the curls fluff and fall into place naturally.  His hair is really stunning.  People comment on it all the time.  People know my kid for "all that fabulous hair."  Interestingly enough, he had straight hair until puberty set in. 

Oh, and I gave absolutely no genetic contribution to his glorious mane whatsoever.  He gets all that from his dad.

I am sooo jealous. 

• Like 2

My son has never been mistaken for a girl, ever.

Only one person has made a comment about his hair and it was an ADULT who forces her boys to have short buzz cuts all the time.  In fact, I have never known her boys to have an opinion of their own because she tells them what to think.

Stereotyped?  What do you mean?  What kind of Stereotype?  

Dawn

I'm not sure what stereotype the PP had in mind, but I wanted to say my son has frequently been mistaken for a girl. I wondering if by stereotype, she meant a boy who feels feminine? I can't think of any other stereotype here. My dd gets it in the opposite way. She wears her hair super short and some of her friends have asked her why she wants to wear a boy cut.

• Like 1

My DS was mistaken for a girl even when he had short hair. He doesn't have feminine features, IMO, but if you aren't looking closely, I can understand the mistake. He is fair, he has blonde hair, and he has bright blue eyes. He has the surface features of the stereotypical blonde cheerleader. I get it. When you actually look at him instead of just the surface, you see he has a masculine bone structure and always has. He's also always been very thin. People have thought he was a girl his whole life, so it doesn't bother him. He looks a lot like Chris Hemsworth (Thor) if you could imagine him prior to puberty and big muscles. 

It doesn't bother me when people assume he's a girl- much- but it does bother me when they argue in front of him. I'll get things like, "Really??....You have to be kidding....let me get my friend and ask her!"  We have 3 other girls and they are all very girly. They wear bows, dresses, pretty shoes, jewelry, and carry purses, dolls, and stuffed animals. They are very feminine and pretty too, and next to them, DS looks pretty rough. I am surprised that people would think I'd have 3 girls who look so nice and then this other, pitiful, neglected girl who wears scruffy boy clothes and walks around with no style or priss. 

It is worse where we live now, which is a very conservative, rural area. Unfortunately, it's also where much of our family is from and it obviously bothers them. There's not one time that we see or talk to them when they don't ask when we'll make him cut his hair.  I think they should stuff it. Why does he want long hair? Because he likes it. He's very tactile and loves the feel of playing with it and brushing it and feeling it against his skin. He thinks it looks cool. And the girls like it. He has tween girls fawning over him wherever he goes- they aren't confused! And while he is too young to really have girlfriends, he still likes attention. If he has to pick between a horde of girls who think he's adorable and some grumpy older people who disapprove, he'll please the girls. 

• Like 2

Both my boys used to have shoulder-length slightly way hair - it looked great.  They had some layers cut into it so that it kept some bounce.  Calvin wants to grow his out again, but this time keep it all one length so he can tie it back.  I look forward to his reaching this kind of look.

L

• Like 2

So why would it be a bad thing to be mistaken for a girl?  Are girls subhuman or a lower class of human?

I get mistaken for a much younger person from behind because I'm very short and I have very long (pretty) hair.  You don't hear me complaining about it!

Exactly.

And my son is totally unconcerned by people mistaking him.

• Like 4

A few of the teen boys in our homeschool group have long hair. They wear it straight. I don't think I've ever seen any of them (there are 3) braid it or do anything to it.

Ds wants to grow his hair but he has such thick hair that it grows "out" as well as down. Add in the Florida humidity and he gets some pretty big hair. He uses a flat iron to tame it somewhat but if he's outside for any length of time all of his work is for nothing.

Here is his hair now. He had it colored about a month ago. He insisted even though I told him he probably wouldn't like it. After he did it, he decided to go with more of a dark brown next time. I did NOT say I told you so. This was obviously not taken in Florida. We were on a weekend trip to NC and he didn't have time to use the flat iron like he usually does.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10154140401475447&l=8785fd3bbe

Here he is a few months ago, with his natural color. I think it's an okay color, but he says it's too blah. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153861330275447&l=877384f168

• Like 4

Oh my.  That hadn't even crossed my mind.

My son is an artist and has the artist type personality to go along with it.  Does that count?  If so, believe me, he would be proud of that and I have no problem with it either.  

I don't think "girl" is stereotype though. I'm thinking she meant more like "dirty druggie hippie."

• Like 3

What is the reason the boys like having long hair? Doesn't it get annoying being mistaken for a girl? Being stereotyped as they get older? {That is just so wrong, you know.} I understand cultural/religious reasons. Just curious. 

My boys HATE it! When their hair starts touching their ears and their collars, they are ready for a haircut. Even my dd prefers hers about chin length. 

My son likes his hair longer, not really sure why. His father is balding and has had a bald spot since his late 20s and I figure ds has a chance of losing hair as he ages, so he should be able to wear it how he wants. It's curly enough now that if it's too short it would look like a frizzy cotton swab. 

I had short hair as a child and got mistaken for a boy so many times - it never really bothered me. 

For years we talked about how people will perceive you based upon appearance. It started with clothes and wanting to wear a gaming tee to a homeschool event - where I knew this game was not "encouraged". He proudly wore the shirt.  He's always been willing to be himself, he's not worried about appearing different. He's clean, well-mannered, and well-spoken. If someone makes an assumption based upon the length of his hair or his facial hair, that's their loss. He gets that and thinks true to himself is more important that fitting into what society thinks is "normal". Then again, he comes from a line of people who rarely do "normal". 

• Like 4

What is the reason the boys like having long hair? Doesn't it get annoying being mistaken for a girl? Being stereotyped as they get older? {That is just so wrong, you know.} I understand cultural/religious reasons. Just curious. 

Mine wants it because he likes the way it looks when he sees it on others.

My young man will never be mistaken for a girl, especially if he's showing his legs.  :lol:

Stereotype? Hippies? Hippie isn't a bad thing. Druggie? I thought that stereotype went out with the seventies. The man in a suit with a metrosexual haircut could just as easily be an addict.

• Like 5

Wow! So many long-haired boys!

DS10 decided to grow his hair last year. Before that, we had always clipped it very short. I think his real reason for wanting it long was to avoid the haircuts, but he also aspired to look like Michael Jackson (of all people! -- he was going through a MJ phase). He ended up with a kind of page boy style. His hair is thick, jet black, and shiny, and it was actually quite nice long. He had to have bangs, though, because his hair is very wiry and grows straight down the front of his face, and we couldn't manage to grow them out without having him look like Cousin It. His hair reached his shoulders before his gymnastics coach made him cut it. Actually, he also had the choice of putting it in a pony, but it wasn't long enough to make that work. I was glad when he let me cut it, because I enjoy being able to see his cute face.

I would take great exception to a coach requiring my kid cut his hair. Sounds like an arbitrary BS move to me.

• Like 1

Well yeah and when I think hardcore druggy I think someone who also probably doesn't even comb their hair often enough. Maybe that's not right either, but long hair doesn't equal druggy to me.

More likely an addict would have short hair. Sheriff Joe has their heads shaved--just the males, of course.

• Like 1

I would take great exception to a coach requiring my kid cut his hair. Sounds like an arbitrary BS move to me.

Girls in gymnastics are also required to put their hair back in a pony or have it short enough that it does not get in their eyes even during flips etc.  It is a safety thing not an arbitrary BS move.  

• Like 2

My 11 year old twin boys have long hair - it's dark auburn, wavy and falls about an inch or so past their shoulders.

As for styling - they rarely even brush it. One likes to wear a bandana, the other usually wears a hat. They've contemplated getting it cut, because they are frequently mistaken for girls, but neither will commit to going to the salon. They play heavy metal, and in their mind, are rock stars, lol, so they like the idea of having long hair. I always tell them, as long as they wash it and keep it neat when they're going to be out in public, I don't care if it's long or short.

• Like 2

Girls in gymnastics are also required to put their hair back in a pony or have it short enough that it does not get in their eyes even during flips etc.  It is a safety thing not an arbitrary BS move.  

When I was coaching high school cheerleaders they were required to have long hair tied back at competitions. Cheer competitions usually involve gymnastics and building (pyramids). I didn't require it for cheering at games because they didn't do gymnastics then, but some of them tied it back anyway to keep it out of the way.

• Like 1

My son is growing his. It's about the length in the pic posted by elegantlion, but a bit curlier. When wet, it's a few inches past his shoulders in the back, but with the curls it just looks big. On a good day, one of our friends calls him little Josh Groban (did I spell that right?). Mostly it's just a mess, but as long as we don't have dreadlocks forming, I'm okay.

He doesn't mind being mistaken for a girl. He doesn't see the big deal. He likes girls. :)

DH's hair is currently just past his shoulders. His stylist calls him Jeff Bridges, as that's the general style/cut. He doesn't get mistaken for a girl. He's a professional, in broadcasting. No dirty druggie stereotypes either, whatever that means - really, it's just hair.

• Like 1

My DS's hair used to be shoulder length, but then DH convinced him to cut it and now he likes it short.  :(  Anyway, we never styled it, but we were careful to keep it neatly trimmed so it didn't look raggedy.  It is very thick, so it can just hang there and looked good. 

My DS had long hair because I liked it on him.  He has thick, wavy blond hair and I have thin, pathetic hair, and I think I was living vicariously through his hair, LOL!  Once DH convinced him to "try it" cut short, he won't go back - he likes that it's cooler in the summer.  So now that he has opinions on his own hair, it's quite short.  Which is a total waste of hair, as far as I am concerned.

Anyway, my DS is blond, blue-eyed, has a peaches and cream complexion, and is fair-skinned, and he and DD (who are 2 years apart) got mistaken for twin girls when they were younger because he is very big and was close in size to her then.  It was funny when he got called a girl - we all just looked at the person like they were nuts; he really doesn't look like a girl, at all, but I think the blonde hair/blue eyes threw people off.  It didn't bother any of us, at any rate.

My boys HATE it! When their hair starts touching their ears and their collars, they are ready for a haircut. Even my dd prefers hers about chin length. 

My DS's hair used to be shoulder length, but then DH convinced him to cut it and now he likes it short.   

Dh and I both think ds looks better with short hair, and he gets more compliments when it's short than when it's longer. We can't convince him to cut it though. He thinks short hair makes his head look too big and that he looks intimidating that way. I'm glad he doesn't want to look intimidating. That's a good thing. :)

Here it is short, last summer. That's my little grandson btw. Our little Gerber Baby with rosy cheeks.  :001_wub:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153263482440447&l=da61a28f9a

It's just hair and if he likes it long then there's no reason to try and make him cut it. The fact that I think it looks better short isn't a good reason to have him cut it. In fact it isn't a reason at all.

• Like 1

Dh and I both think ds looks better with short hair, and he gets more compliments when it's short than when it's longer. We can't convince him to cut it though. He thinks short hair makes his head look too big and that he looks intimidating that way. I'm glad he doesn't want to look intimidating. That's a good thing. :)

Here it is short, last summer. That's my little grandson btw. Our little Gerber Baby with rosy cheeks. :001_wub:

It's just hair and if he likes it long then there's no reason to try and make him cut it. The fact that I think it looks better short isn't a good reason to have him cut it. In fact it isn't a reason at all.

Both are good looking!

• Like 1

My DS has such a ginormous head that when he was born (before we even saw him - C-section), the Dr. laughed out loud and in his thick accent said "Ha, ha ,ha!  Look at this lad's head!".  All I could think of was OMG, did I give birth to Rosie O'Donnell or something?!!?  His head is huge, but now his body has grown into it.  But he still wears a man's extra large hat!

ETA:  Your DS does look good with short hair!  Cute grandbaby!

Here it is short, last summer. That's my little grandson btw. Our little Gerber Baby with rosy cheeks.  :001_wub:

Curly and spread out. He looks like Garfunkel. I want him to cut it because the daily tick checks (we are in Lyme central) are a pain and I am never convinced I do a good job with his hair, due to the jungle of it all. But he refuses. I also need to figure out what to do with his bangs, they are currently in his eyes. Thinking a sort of ponytail at top of his head.

Curly and spread out. He looks like Garfunkel. I want him to cut it because the daily tick checks (we are in Lyme central) are a pain and I am never convinced I do a good job with his hair, due to the jungle of it all. But he refuses. I also need to figure out what to do with his bangs, they are currently in his eyes. Thinking a sort of ponytail at top of his head.

Let the bangs grow too so it can all be pulled back?

This is older DS a month or so ago. He has brown hair. Younger DS's hair is the same color as older DS's blond friend here, and is straight though it comes to the same place on him as this boy's hair does.

(Picture deleted)

• Like 5

I don't think "girl" is stereotype though. I'm thinking she meant more like "dirty druggie hippie."

For ds, it was his subtle act of rebellion knowing that I like short hair on men, but I don't let him have the satisfaction because once I taught him how to deal with curly hair (thick tight ringlets prone to frizz) I actually like it. :laugh:   He was sort of going for a "metal head rocker look."   It does a good job at weeding out the people who he would not want to associate with because people who judge based upon hair length will probably judge all sorts of other things as well. 

My son likes his hair longer, not really sure why. His father is balding and has had a bald spot since his late 20s and I figure ds has a chance of losing hair as he ages, so he should be able to wear it how he wants. It's curly enough now that if it's too short it would look like a frizzy cotton swab. 

I had short hair as a child and got mistaken for a boy so many times - it never really bothered me. 

For years we talked about how people will perceive you based upon appearance. It started with clothes and wanting to wear a gaming tee to a homeschool event - where I knew this game was not "encouraged". He proudly wore the shirt.  He's always been willing to be himself, he's not worried about appearing different. He's clean, well-mannered, and well-spoken. If someone makes an assumption based upon the length of his hair or his facial hair, that's their loss. He gets that and thinks true to himself is more important that fitting into what society thinks is "normal". Then again, he comes from a line of people who rarely do "normal". 

Love the bold.  Dh told me early on that when my boys started to express a preference about their appearance, especially hair, that I should heed that  (long hair, buzz cut, purple, whatever.)  It's only hair - it can be easily changed.  They are only young once and they should be allowed to experiment while the consequences were small.  This is coming from a man who has always been pretty conservative in his appearance. We have talked with our son about how our appearance can give messages and we have to own the consequences of those messages.  As long as my son treats people with respect, then I'm ok with that.  I do give him a heads up if his long hair, t-shirt and blue jeans uniform may not be the expected appearance and encourage him to take that into account.  He listened to me for a 4-H scholarship interview.  He tied his hair back, wore dress khakis and a dress shirt and looked sharp.  He got the scholarship! 

• Like 2

so many boys with long hair.  The longest my boys have gone is ds10, he often has a mohawk for a while before buzzing it off to start over and then growing it out for a while before getting a new mohawk.  So nothing as long as the boys in this thread.  Ds15 is in cadets so he always has a buzz because you must have your hair off your collar and ears.  If you show up at camp with long hair touching those things they send you right to the camp barber who shaves it all off.  The boys in cadets tend to keep it short all the time, they don't want to deal with buns like the girls.  The boys in the pictures shared have longer, more beautiful hair than my daughter.  She got all of her hair cut off into a pixie cut recently.

Mine wants it because he likes the way it looks when he sees it on others.

My young man will never be mistaken for a girl, especially if he's showing his legs.  :lol:

Stereotype? Hippies? Hippie isn't a bad thing. Druggie? I thought that stereotype went out with the seventies. The man in a suit with a metrosexual haircut could just as easily be an addict.

I'm out of likes... so ...  LIKE!!

• Like 1

My 11year old prefers his hair past his shoulders. It's dirty blond and wavy, which is lovely except that it dreads up if he doesn't wash and condition it daily. So he does. :). Why he puts up with it I have no idea, it's forever in his face and during hockey season it's a nightmare for him to deal with, but he likes it (and so do I!). He gets confused for a girl all the time--he's petite and has fine features and sparkly blue eyes so it's not too surprising, though you'd think the athletic clothing would be some indication. But he doesn't mind at all. We do have to get it professionally cut regularly so it stays tidy, otherwise the knotting gets out of control and it frays. I wonder how much longer he'll like our "spa days"?

• Like 1

Why in the world would someone give this thread 1 star?

Some folks have issues.

I'm giving it 5 stars in retaliation for the one star.

I'm spiteful that way. :D

It has nothing to do with the fact that my ds has very long hair.

Well, maybe a little... ;)

• Like 3

Girls in gymnastics are also required to put their hair back in a pony or have it short enough that it does not get in their eyes even during flips etc. It is a safety thing not an arbitrary BS move.

So require him to secure it. He shouldn't have to cut it. That's a double standard.

This thread is fascinating to me simply because it is so rare for me to see a boy/young man with really long hair.  And here there are so many!  I realize people here are scattered all over the world.  But to see/hear of so many boys with hair down their backs!   I'm not complaining about it; it's just interesting to me simply because it's so rare in my experience.  

Wow! So many long-haired boys!

DS10 decided to grow his hair last year. Before that, we had always clipped it very short.  I think his real reason for wanting it long was to avoid the haircuts, but he also aspired to look like Michael Jackson (of all people! -- he was going through a MJ phase).  He ended up with a kind of page boy style.  His hair is thick, jet black, and shiny, and it was actually quite nice long. He had to have bangs, though, because his hair is very wiry and grows straight down the front of his face, and we couldn't manage to grow them out without having him look like Cousin It. His hair reached his shoulders before his gymnastics coach made him cut it. Actually, he also had the choice of putting it in a pony, but it wasn't long enough to make that work. I was glad when he let me cut it, because I enjoy being able to see his cute face.

(bolding mine)

So require him to secure it. He shouldn't have to cut it. That's a double standard.

:confused:   He had that choice.  A girl who's hair gets in their face either needs to put it in a pony or cut it as well.  If it was getting in his face (which is what the PP implied) then that is a safety issue.  I know of lots of gymnastics girls who were told to either find a way to secure their hair so that it didn't flop into their eyes or to cut it.  No double standard.  

• Like 1

This thread is fascinating to me simply because it is so rare for me to see a boy/young man with really long hair.  And here there are so many!  I realize people here are scattered all over the world.  But to see/hear of so many boys with hair down their backs!   I'm not complaining about it; it's just interesting to me simply because it's so rare in my experience.

It's pretty rare here, too -- my ds14 certainly isn't the only one, but it's not like I see boys with very long hair every time I'm in a store, so I know what you mean.

My ds is still sometimes mistaken for a girl, even though his hair is always pulled back in a braid (or sometimes a ponytail.) It makes me laugh because although he does have a pretty face, he dresses in distinctively men's clothing, is around 5'10" tall, and is built more like a linebacker than a ballerina.... and if those size 12 work boots don't tip people off, I don't know what will! :eek: But some people see the hair and assume long hair = girl. My ds doesn't mind, though -- he understands that people think that way and is always nice about it. It's a complete non-issue for him.

Other teenagers always know he's a boy, though. :)

• Like 1

Before DS20 cut his hair, he'd let it grow just past his shoulder blades. Normally he wore it in a ponytail for work. DH is letting his hair grow out and wears a ponytail again. I like it. :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...