Menu

Books you have found challenging to read aloud

About three years ago I realized I absolutely could not read aloud Winnie the Pooh stories. I LOVE to read aloud. I love to do voices. But I could NOT do the Pooh stories. We now own them on CD.

This year I found my second book I cannot manage to read aloud: The Borrowers. What in the world? I don't know why I find this book so challenging, but I cannot read it fluently. I should have bought it on CD also.

Are there books you have found particularly difficult to read aloud?

Winnie the Pooh was a big one for us, too. We did finish it, but it was challenging for me.

One we didn't finish, and I don't know if it was the readability or just lack of interest, was Edith Nesbit's The Railway Children.

Any books that have many characters and lots of dialog give me trouble. I like to do different voices for the people, and when there are too many, I forget which voice goes with whom, or else just run out of ideas for voices, lol. Had to stop the Anne books aloud for that reason. 

Any book with too many characters. I like to change my voice for different characters as well and if there are a lot it's so hard to keep them all straight.

LOVE Pooh on audio. Can't remember which we listened to but the narrator was just perfect.

The Magic Tree House books.  This is one series I choose not to read out loud, and wait for the kids to read on their own.  The sentences are too choppy and awkward to read in order for me to get a good reading rhythm going. 

I started a thread a few months back about having a hard time with Wind in the Willows. We got through it and I'm glad we did. I find there is a rhythm to some of these books that I eventually get into. I also found LOTR tricky to RA. We bought an audio version.

It seems older British books are hard-ish for me.

Kidnapped.

Winnie-the-Pooh cannot be beat on audio.  I do try on occasion, but Peter Dennis I am not.  It isn't that I can't read these.  It's that I'm NOT Pooh or Piglet or Owl or Eeyore...just not quite.

All of them. I hate reading books aloud. Audiobooks from the library and Gutenberg are my friend. My dearly beloved husband takes on the task of doing the extensive daily bedtime reading.

Husbands are good for that sort of thing. I hand him whatever I cannot read to him, and he obliges. He did put his foot down on Magic Tree House (when DD was very young) and Freddy.

I had no trouble reading Winnie the Pooh aloud, so don't worry about it whoever said she is worrying about it.

The one I couldn't make heads nor tails of was Brer Rabbit. I gave up before finishing the first chapter, but later I found an audio version written and recorded by Julius Lester. It was one of the best audio books we ever listened to in the car, worth a repeat. However, I'll say it did nothing for our R&S English program. Ha ha

Redwall (and it's many sequels). I love the books, but I can't read them aloud.

Boys and Girls of Colonial Days. Wow. We loved some of the other CLP early Am. History books (like American Pioneers and Patriots, and Stories of the Pilgrims), but Boys and Girls was just...bad.

We read all the Oz books aloud, but once the series switched over to a different author (Thompson) my rhythm broke. She had a different pace and more awkward dialogs that need to been seen more to make sense. I never new if my audience would know who was talking without following along. Even though I liked her story better I struggled out loud with it.

I read aloud a lot, but I am not so good at voices. I usually forget of mix them up!😀

I loved reading Winnie the Pooh, but the audio book was more fun with the voices. We just finished The Princess and the Goblin (9+ weeks!) and that was a real struggle for me. I also dislike when the characters names are too unfamiliar or challenging to pronounce. We just started Watership Down, and there is proving to be many challenges.

The Wind in The Willows

It makes me sad because I really WANT to love it, but I don't.....

We just gave up and put it back on the shelf half finished the last time I tried. He liked the movie, though.

Peter Pan was really hard for me. Pooh, no problem. Maybe b/c I have lots of it memorized! ;)

As others have said, anything with lots of dialogue or characters with distinctive accents. I didn't even try the Secret Garden for that reason. 

The Hobbit we've only done on audiobook. Rob Inglis is excellent! My kids have asked for TLOTR this summer and I think I'm going to splurge for the audiobook on that too!  :D

We LOVED The Hobbit - have read it multiple times.

Winnie the Pooh I couldn't even try after the Peter Denning audiobook, he was too good. I found Michael York's Lion, witch, Wardrobe too good for me to follow up. There are a few others where the audiobook was so well done (and dodos much better with heavy language) that I didnt even bother (Sword in the Stone by White, Robin Hood by Pyle, 20,000 Leagues)... I could have read them, but not with as great of effect.

Another who can't read Just So Stories- too many made-up words, and the audio version is great!

Couldn't read D'Aulaire's Greek Myths, either.  Stumbled over the names too much.  Audible to the rescue! 

The only book we've stopped in the middle of so far was We Didn't Mean to Go to Sea, and that's because it just seemed loooooong.  I'm going to get DS to read that one to himself when he's a bit older instead.  :-) 

Little House in the Big Woods and the rest I was able to get through, but I was crying by the end of practically every chapter.  LOL.  My son was like :confused1: .  How to explain to a 6 year old how emotionally wrenching it is when Mr. Edwards fords the flooded river to bring the girls a Christmas present?  lol. 

The Wind in the Willows.

We love it, but oh my goodness, it's difficult to read. The sentences are incredibly long and convoluted. Dd13 reads well and can mostly pull it off, but it definitely works better when I read it, and we give dh a pass on this one, his fascination with the English language being less than ours! (We do a family read aloud after dinner - I read while the slow coaches finish dinner, then dd or dh takes over while I clean the kitchen.)

Dh comes into his own when ds7 brings out Pippi Longstocking, though. I really struggle to read that because the incidents all seem so ludicrous that I lose track of what I'm reading.

I picked up and put down Tom Sawyer a dozen times because it seemed too hard to read aloud. Then I had the brilliant idea of asking my husband the Southerner to read it. He had the perfect speech rhythms and making the dialect sound smooth and natural was no struggle for him. I loved listening in!

About three years ago I realized I absolutely could not read aloud Winnie the Pooh stories. I LOVE to read aloud. I love to do voices. But I could NOT do the Pooh stories. We now own them on CD.

This year I found my second book I cannot manage to read aloud: The Borrowers. What in the world? I don't know why I find this book so challenging, but I cannot read it fluently. I should have bought it on CD also.

Are there books you have found particularly difficult to read aloud?

We felt the same about both of those books- they are 2 that we didn't finish, which is unusual for us.

Winnie the Pooh was hard for me initially - though I found it easier as my eldest DD got older and my younger one liked it.

I found some of Enid Blyton's books exceptionally slow - if my DD had not been begging me to get on with it, I would have stopped.

Some of the Roald Dahl books I find difficult.

Heidi I have not even tried as I know from when I was a child that I couldn't go there.

The Horse and his boy - for some reason this one is the hardest of all the Narnia series for me to read.

Pooh. I love it, but there's something about the sentence structure that makes it a hard one for me. We own the CD versions with Jim Broadbent, and they are so much better than I could ever do. We've listened to them so many times that we wore out our set, and when I do try to read them aloud, I find myself imitating Broadbent.

I'm not a bad readalouder, I guess, but as with so much, my DH is really gifted at it. He makes the voices all different and exciting. Gandalf and Long John Silver sound really good when DH is reading them.

However, I can do Dr. Seuss like nobody's business. Even (and especially) Fox in Socks. I know what the Fox says -- he says, "through three cheese trees, three free fleas flew." I can do tongue twisters very well, but regular dialogue? Forget it. That gets my tongue all tangled up.

The Secret Garden was so hard to read out loud. I don't do accents, and the voice of the character of Dicken is so important! But we got through it and it was one of my daughter's favorites, as I'd hoped it would be.

We just finished this one. I attempted to do the broad Yorkshire. Sometimes it sounded good, and sometimes I sounded like an idiot. Ok, more often the latter. :lol:

The Horse and his boy - for some reason this one is the hardest of all the Narnia series for me to read.

Is this the one where they introduce the Calormen and talk so much about them being "dark" and their clothing and custom descriptions are clearly Middle Eastern? I had a hard time with that one also. It just completely bothered me.

The Wind in the Willows.

We love it, but oh my goodness, it's difficult to read. The sentences are incredibly long and convoluted. Dd13 reads well and can mostly pull it off, but it definitely works better when I read it, and we give dh a pass on this one, his fascination with the English language being less than ours! (We do a family read aloud after dinner - I read while the slow coaches finish dinner, then dd or dh takes over while I clean the kitchen.)

Dh comes into his own when ds7 brings out Pippi Longstocking, though. I really struggle to read that because the incidents all seem so ludicrous that I lose track of what I'm reading.

Talking about husbands pulling if off, mine struggles with Beatrix potter. He isn't much of a reader. I just laugh when my 4 year old son is correcting him and explaining what soporific and superfluous mean. I am also Australian and have a more natural understanding of British books than my husband. Thankfully I have passed that onto my son.

Most of the difficult ones seem to be British. Do you think it's partly a different rhythm of speech/writing than you are used to speaking? FWIW, Winnie the Pooh was a lot of fun for me to read aloud.

L

As an Aussie I am fine with British, it is what I grew up with, my American raised son is also as I explain a lot of my heritage words to him. My American husband on the other hand doesn't do so well. He tries.

My issue with Winnie the Pooh was the back and forth into conversational tone. I struggled with having the right inflection and knowing when to apply that until the end of the sentences. So my reading was becoming quite stilted. And my son even noticed. I would have been fine if the author would stop addressing Christopher Robin and just tell the story.

I avoid pretty much anything with things I can't pronounce well, like books about Greek mythology, Egyptian mythology, etc... Also, I dislike reading books with realllllly loooong sentences. I always check Audible before we start a new read-aloud. Treasure Island and The Hobbit are favorite choices from Audible at the moment. If I do have to struggle through pronunciations I have the howjsay app ready on my iPad. 

I'm going to have to agree with Peter Pan.  We did finally manage to make it through, but were this close to giving up on it.

I don't do Peter Pan.