Menu

Need modest bathing suit for busty teen girl

Ottakee

I need to find a new bathing suit or 2 for my 17dd.  She wears size 10-12 misses clothes and is a DD cup.  We are looking either for a modest one piece or preferably a nice tankini with good coverage.......something like a tank style top that comes up higher in the front and some short style bottoms, etc.

Where would you look for quality without breaking the bank?

I need to find a new bathing suit or 2 for my 17dd.  She wears size 10-12 misses clothes and is a DD cup.  We are looking either for a modest one piece or preferably a nice tankini with good coverage.......something like a tank style top that comes up higher in the front and some short style bottoms, etc.

Where would you look for quality without breaking the bank?

When you are busty, you can have cheap, or you can have quality, but you usually can't have both.  And in the long run, cheap isn't worth it. Quality suits for busty gals need considerable infrastructure to do what they need to do, which takes a significant amount of labor and materials to accomplish.

I would look at Lands End or Miraclesuit.  Both carry underwire tankini tops in cup sizes (essential for a good fit for DD and above), plus a variety of mix-and-match bottoms.  Miraclesuit also has some nice one-piece suits, such as this one.

I'm a bit smaller (wear a 34D bra) but I find that I have to buy my bathing suit top separately from my bottom. I can't wear one piece suits because if it fits my bust, it's too baggy around the bottom. And if it fits my bottom, I'm spilling out of the top. So I buy a L or 14 top and a M or 8 bottom.

I've found suits at Macy's, Sears, and occasionally Target.

Another vote for Lands End. A lot of their suits come in DD, and they are still very flattering and modern (and modest!).

While they are pricey, they usually have codes for discounts. And I think they're running a promotion right now for free shipping and free returns on bathing suits, so you could try a few and send them back on their dime.

Is the problem that the straps stretch a lot and the neckline is too low?  

I used to have this problem.  Then I realized that even though I am only 5'6", my legs are really short and I am all torso.  So, I bought a Tall sized swimsuit and fell in love.  

It was from Lands End and I have never bought a suit from anyone else since then.  

Here;s what my busty teen does. We go to the athletics department and find a form fitting, lycra workout top with a built in bra. She wears that with a sports bra and some swim shorts from the bathing suit department.

This is what we do and it works great!

My daughter is a 34 but double the cup size. Swim suits are traumatizing. Honestly? We went with supportive athletic tops that are made of swim like fabric. So look for swim material sports bra for the bottom in one cute color and to it with a supportive running tank in similar fabric in another complementary color. It's been our solution for several years. Otherwise she wears a super supportive ruining bra under a swim like fabric snug tee.

Thanks for the ideas.   On a whim I stopped at a high end consignment shop nearby today when I had to babysit my niece.  They had a really nice land's end one that is 2 sizes bigger than her current one but the same style as well as a few others that looked promising in the $15-20 range so I think we will try those on today and if those don't go we will go from there.

My daughter was a 36DD, 5' tall. We had her swimsuits custom made here:

http://modestlyyoursswimwear.com/index.html

It was not cheap, but the suits are made to your measurements and fit perfectly. They will alter as you please. My daughter had the leggings cut mid calf, sleeveless and a U shaped neckline. I bought it for her when she was 15 and she wore it for three years. She could wear her own bra underneath. When she turned 18 she decided to have a b00ks reduction and even though she can fit into something off the rack now, she still went with a suit from this company because she likes the modest look.

2012-10-01114107_zpse27631b0.jpg

2012-10-01112339_zps9471d3f9.jpg

Last year I bought a couple of great suits from Target. The brand name was Marona. I found them to be very supportive and flattering. They are modest, but not super-ultra-modest. I was very comfortable playing at the beach and pool with my kids in it. But the style was simple enough that I think it could work for any age group.

If the high end consignment doesn't work out... 

Sears.   right now there are some sales on swim wear.  I saw several color options in higher neck, racer back tankini and shorts for mix match.  sale prices seemed to be through this week.  about $22 on sale for top.

the only thing is.. I'm not sure on how quality compares on it.

Try TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross etc.  They get a mix of everything so you might luck out. When I am looking for suits, I make a quick stop about once a week and just do a glance through the racks.  They go pretty quick so you have to get them if you see one you think she will like.  The think I like about shopping for suits in these types of stores, is that the juniors, Misses and Women's are usually all together, just sorted by size (instead of designer, color etc) .  It makes it easier to find a more uncommon size.

Athleta has current, youthful, athletic styles that offer the level of coverage I think you're looking for. They have bra-sized tops (including tanking) and even swim tights and swim dresses if that's what you're into. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=93635#size=88-1%3A1260

Title 9 is also really good in this area: http://www.titlenine.com/category/swim/shop+all.do?intcmp=home:S34:A:nav:1:allswim

Lands End has great suits, but they are very, umm "mature" looking. I think a teenager would think they were too old looking. Athleta has awesome tankini tops. Their bra cup styles fit very well. I haven't ordered from LIme RIcki, but I hear their stuff is awesome.

My tip as a DD myself... always order "long torso" or "tall" (even if you're not). You have a few extra inches to cover. They're just horizontal, not vertical! I also personally find underwire cups to be more comfortable.

Lands End has great suits, but they are very, umm "mature" looking. I think a teenager would think they were too old looking. Athleta has awesome tankini tops. Their bra cup styles fit very well. I haven't ordered from LIme RIcki, but I hear their stuff is awesome.

This is true.  I hadn't thought of it from that perspective.  Just size.    I mean the ones I bought don't look like grandma suits, but my DD17 wouldn't want wear them.  Definitely more "mom" than "teen".  

Athleta has current, youthful, athletic styles that offer the level of coverage I think you're looking for. They have bra-sized tops (including tanking) and even swim tights and swim dresses if that's what you're into. http://athleta.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=93635#size=88-1%3A1260

Title 9 is also really good in this area: http://www.titlenine.com/category/swim/shop+all.do?intcmp=home:S34:A:nav:1:allswim

I was also going to mention Athleta.  My oldest dd, who wears 36DD, has worn Athleta's Run Tankini for years.  She's had 2 of them; she outgrew the first one, but it's still in good shape.  They are high quality and very supportive.  She got the Tankini top with boy short bottoms.  Very cute.

I didn't read the other responses, so hopefully this won't be a repeat.  I am similar to your daughter.  I bought a tankini at Lands End in my cup size, on clearance - I think the bottom and top were like $15 each.  The top came down like a V and showed way too much for my comfort.  I bought an extra skirt, took it to the seamstress, and had her cut a piece out to sew inside the top between the V.  I think I paid $10 tops.  Voila - the perfect bathing suit!