Menu

FYI: Amazon Prime increasing price April 17

Tap

If you are thinking about getting Amazon Prime now is the time to do it.  They are raising the price from $79 to 99 on April 17.  If you start the free trial month before that date, you will get the lower rate if you decide to stick with it.  

Amazon Prime Student is increasing to $49 (corrected) and I don't know what AP Mom is going to.

I haven't gotten an email but I just checked my account and it says my renewal rate for my student account in sept. will be $49. I wonder if they cut off a student account at some point. I've never been asked to verify my student status and first got my account in 2011.

I haven't gotten an email but I just checked my account and it says my renewal rate for my student account in sept. will be $49. I wonder if they cut off a student account at some point. I've never been asked to verify my student status and first got my account in 2011.

I'm no longer a student and tried to change my status. I even called customer service, but I still continue to only be charged the student rate.

Still worthwhile.  I used to do all of my shopping and errands on Saturday because of school and work during the week.  Sometimes I'd be gone most of the day.

Amazon Prime and online grocery ordering mean that I usually can zip into town for just an hour or two during the week.  I rarely have to do much more than that.

DH loves the streaming.  If we don't watch together, he watches his own shows in the evening to relax.

I got an email too. I don't love it but I understand it. It works out to 8.25/mo which is .26 more than what we pay for Netflix (we stream a lot through both Amazon and Netflix) plus the Prime shipping, the lending library, etc. It still seems like a good deal. I just hope they won't start hiking it regularly.

I think the student rate is good for 4 years. I won't get hit with the price increase until next February. I'm glad they opted to only to go to 49 & 99. I know they had been considering more, and that might have knocked it off the priority list for many people. 

I've been ordering a lot of used books housed by Amazon, and really it's a bargain with shipping included. 

My renewal date is Feb, so I'm good for almost a year ;) I expect we'll keep it. At least right now, Amazon seems to have a lot more of the shows DD likes, and I'm LOVING free shipping, especially for those "I need a birthday present for an X yr old girl next week" things.

I just saw that this morning too. I'm still happy to continue with them - I buy a TON of things (mostly books, ahem) from amazon, and we just canceled our Netflix subscription since we have Amazon Prime, not to mention the lending library. It's definitely worth the money. I'm only surprised that they haven't increased the price before now.

My son is dual enrolled at the community college. Would we qualify for the student plan and could we switch over to it on the same account?

I don't think you can switch your account over. But he can register, you just have to have a college email address (he should have that with CC). Students get 6 mths free to start (but it does not include streaming and free kindle books while free). In order to get the free streaming and books, you have to pay the year fee.

I'll stick with Prime - they haven't raised the rate in years (ever?) so it's still a good deal. My membership renews March 10th and it's saying that I'll be charged $99 then, so it may be starting sooner than the 17th of April.

Double check your email. Mine is March 10th too, and I thought I was going to be charged the $99, but then I realized it said March 10, 2015. 

I didn't get the e-mail, and that is annoying me, too. I get multiple e-mails a day from Amazon, so I don't know why I didn't get this one.

I get multiple email as well but for some reason this went on the Promotions folder in Gmail instead of primary.