Menu

VENT: Dear US Bank, now I understand the US is "us" not U.S.

elegantlion

Dear US Bank, 

As a broke college student, I was excited to receive a $85.00 check from my university's non-traditional student book fund scholarship. I spent way more than $85.00 on school books, but every little bit helps. Because my bank is not in the same town as my university, when I picked up the check today I planned to simply cash it at the US Bank branch and do some necessary shopping ahead of the impending snow storm. I don't have these stores in my town either, so I couldn't simply go home and shop. 

I walked in the branch and waited in line. The tellers were smiling and helpful and, but for a moment, I thought my opinion on banking itself might change. I saw multiple tellers helping multiple customers. Then when I approached, asked to cash the check, and offered my license as identification, I was told it would be 5.00 to cash any check over $50.00 for non-account holders. She smiled as she said it. I smiled as a thought for a moment, realized that US bank didn't deserve my $5.00 simply because they were providing a service that other banks see as a courtesy, cashing checks written to non-account holders from account holders. I told her, with a smile, that I thought that was ridiculous and picked up my check and ID and walked out.

So, dear US Bank, you missed an opportunity to promote your bank, your account holders, and your community. I will never open an account at your bank because I believe that people I write checks to are "my" customers and if they choose to cash their check, it should be your job to provide that service without fee to them. But if your bank is all about "us" the bank, not "us" the customers, the community, or even (yes, overdramatic) the U.S. as in the United States, then fine, go ahead. I'm sure my extra $5.00 wouldn't have amounted to but a sliver into your accounting today. The extra $5.00 to me is gas money, part of an allowance to my child, a good portion of our monthly Netflix fee, or perhaps $5.00 more to put into my savings, not yours. US Bank, you don't deserve my money, not even $5.00 of it, and you never will. 

Sincerely, 

Non-account holder. 

Was it Chase? They charged us to cash my girls Christmas checks. I complained to the manager, and asked if the babysitter makes 15 dollars are you going to take 1/3 of her pay?  I told them they would not be getting my business. It's such a scam!

edit:  Sorry, I read it as a general US Bank. I'm not familiar with this bank.

Was it Chase? They charged us to cash my girls Christmas checks. I complained to the manager, and asked if the babysitter makes 15 dollars are you going to take 1/3 of her pay?  I told them they would not be getting my business. It's such a scam!

No, is was US Bank. 

Lots of banks are doing this now.  I worked at US Bank when their policy changed to include charging non-customers and people were absolutely irate about it. I actually didn't expect it to last very long, but that's been 5 years now.

Typically, it goes something like this: first they get you to open an account so you can cash your checks. Then they encourage you to put just a little bit in your 'free checking' account & order you a debit card. Then, you use your debit card & overdraw because not all of the funds were available immediately. And THEN they hit you with overdraw fees. Every day that you are overdrawn you get another fee. The money is there, but it isn't necessarily 'available' to you because they have to confirm that the funds are 'legitimate'. Of course, this scenario usually plays out for people who don't (and shouldn't necessarily) have checking accounts.

Lots of banks are doing this now.  I worked at US Bank when their policy changed to include charging non-customers and people were absolutely irate about it. I actually didn't expect it to last very long, but that's been 5 years now.

Typically, it goes something like this: first they get you to open an account so you can cash your checks. Then they encourage you to put just a little bit in your 'free checking' account & order you a debit card. Then, you use your debit card & overdraw because not all of the funds were available immediately. And THEN they hit you with overdraw fees. Every day that you are overdrawn you get another fee. The money is there, but it isn't necessarily 'available' to you because they have to confirm that the funds are 'legitimate'. Of course, this scenario usually plays out for people who don't (and shouldn't necessarily) have checking accounts.

My small town bank didn't charge to cash checks drawn on their bank, maybe it's the small town thing. 

I could see a small percentage even, but a flat $5 on anything over $50 is really like scamming the people who probably don't have other options. It kind of sucks though because now I probably won't get back to the town where I need to shop until the weekend due to the snow storm. I won't buy as much now either because I need some stuff today and I'll buy that here, so good for my small community. 

I'm at the point where every dime counts and giving them $5 for the privilege of cashing my check seems really ogreish on their part. Fortunately, I had a choice. 

Note to self:  sit my kids down before they need to do any banking, and discuss things that are costly or difficult when it comes to banking, and what their options are.  There are lots of ways to get around these problems, but they only work with advance planning.

TD Bank does this as well. 

It makes absolutely no sense to me. It isn't as if the $5 fee is a protection for the bank if the account doesn't have the money to back up the check. They can see if the account has the money since the account is with their bank!!

The check could be forged, though, and then they would be stuck covering it.

But this is probably just a way to bring in a few extra dollars.  It won't offend their current customers, so there isn't much risk on their end.

This is just one of the many reasons we switched to a local credit union. The difference has been eye opening. One of the biggest differences has been that our funds are always available immediately. There is no waiting till the next business day or whatever stupid idea the others come up with. Dh's direct deposits from work are even available a day earlier than they had been through other banks. We've had zero weird or extra charges since switching.

Is this really something new?  I would never think of taking a check to a bank other than my own to cash it . . . it seems like I grew up knowing that this is the way to do things?  Whenever we have checks, we take them to our own bank to cash them.  

Is this really something new?  I would never think of taking a check to a bank other than my own to cash it . . . it seems like I grew up knowing that this is the way to do things?  Whenever we have checks, we take them to our own bank to cash them.  

In our area, yes, it's new-ish. When I grew up (in the apparent dark ages), taking a check to the bank it was drawn on was fairly common. At that point it could take days for a check to clear your own bank, and if you're working for minimum wage, you might need the money right away.  For years it was a given that this was okay to do and no fees would be incurred while doing so. 

Years ago, you could even go through the drive through of a bank to do this. Most switched to making you come inside and provide a thumb print. The fee thing is new to me as I haven't had that since I don't cash that many checks. This scholarship was issued in check form unlike my other grants, etc, which are direct deposited. 

To me, it just hurts the people who really don't have other options. Even Walmart only charges $3 to cash a check because they know it's good for business. 

I hate US bank with a passion. Yes, they tweak the system to work for them. It is so frustrating. :smash:

On that note, anyone have any experience with Bank of the West?

I have no clue, but Bank of the West sounds like a place for gunslingers. 

So the banksters vs. the gunslingers. It's a showdown at high noon.  :lol:

The credit union my kids have accts at charge to cash checks since they do not have checking accts??  However they can deposit in their "STAR" savings acct and withdraw with no fee.  I let the lady know in no uncertain terms how ridiculous that was.

In our area, yes, it's new-ish. When I grew up (in the apparent dark ages), taking a check to the bank it was drawn on was fairly common. At that point it could take days for a check to clear your own bank, 

We can still do this - for no fee - at all the banks I'm aware of here around us (rural area).  We used to do it often when we had tenants who liked to write checks without enough $$ in their account.  The bank let us know if there was enough or not - and neither us nor them had to encounter insufficient fund fees when there wasn't.  It worked out well (aside from the aggravation about the check not being good, of course).  We no longer have those tenants, but hubby will still sometimes do the same when he has a new client - just to be certain a check is good.

We may still be living in the Dark Ages, but if so, it's another thing I like about our area and living rural.

I hate US bank with a passion. Yes, they tweak the system to work for them. It is so frustrating. :smash:

On that note, anyone have any experience with Bank of the West?

My first grown-up job was as a teller for Bank of the West.

Learned a lot that year....it's been a few decades (ack!) so I have no insight for you.

I know that isn't what you were asking exactly, but I had to answer. :)

I got fed up with U.S. Bank about six years ago. I walked out and drove directly to my nearest credit union to open an account and consider it one of the best decisions I ever made. I was offered a free line of credit to cover any accidental overdraws, I am reimbursed for any fees associated with using any ATM machine, and receive a small dividend at the end of the month based on my account balance. But the best thing is knowing I am not feeding the coffers of a huge corporation and trusting that they have my interest at heart instead of trying to make more money off of me. Also, both times my debit card was compromised (Target and Michaels), the credit union notified me and had it fixed before I even knew it had happened.

We can still do this - for no fee - at all the banks I'm aware of here around us (rural area).  We used to do it often when we had tenants who liked to write checks without enough $$ in their account.  The bank let us know if there was enough or not - and neither us nor them had to encounter insufficient fund fees when there wasn't.  It worked out well (aside from the aggravation about the check not being good, of course).  We no longer have those tenants, but hubby will still sometimes do the same when he has a new client - just to be certain a check is good.

We may still be living in the Dark Ages, but if so, it's another thing I like about our area and living rural.

We can still do it here also (rural area).  My dh does it with new or unknown clients also.  He can even use the drive-thru and they don't even ask for i.d.  

here you cannot cash a cheque at all. instead you have to deposit it into your account and wait 3 days for it to clear

Same here.  And you can't sign cheques over to anyone else - the first time I heard about doing that I was actually shocked.  All cheques here are crossed and can only be deposited in the payee's account.

That being said: cheques are pretty rare these days.  Most people's wages are deposited directly in their bank.

L

My credit union is wonderful.  :001_wub:

That said, a non-profit for which I am the treasurer has an account at what had been a local, small town bank.  There was a flaky teller but never any issues with out accounts.

A couple of months ago, another bank took over the local bank.  What a mess!  My little non-profit usually has a check or two to deposit weekly.  At the end of the year, we have a small stack.  The tellers at the new bank (who were the same  tellers at the old bank) can no longer run a tape to check my addition.  If I made a mistake, home office will catch it and then charge me for the error.  (I have created an Excel "tape" with the account number since I am not trusting this bank.)

I had trouble authenticating my new debit card at the new bank and ended up locking myself out of the account.  It took the member services person five phone calls to the headquarters before she could find a live body to make the debit card work.  Formerly the local people could do this but now their hands are tied.  It is incredibly stupid and inefficient--and embarrassing to the local people!

I hate banks which is why I always recommend credit unions.

I hate banks which is why I always recommend credit unions.

I dislike big national chain banks.  I like small town banks.  Our small town one was taken over by a regional bank, but so far, they've kept the small town/rural way of doing things, so I like it.

When/if they change to make it a "city" bank, we'll move on.  BTDT with other places.

So once I stopped at the US Bank ATM against my better instinct because I needed cash for a Craigslist purchase and that was the option I saw on the way.

It was the old kind where the card goes in rather than you just swiping it. I was in a hurry and I left the card in the machine. Stupid me. It or sucked into the bank branch and I stopped on my way back to pick up my card.

My legal last name is two names, totalling a lot of letters. So it all will fit, my credit and debit cards and checks usually have my first and middle initials and then the double last names. I have id showing that the initials match my name and that rather unusual double last name. They wouldn't give me my debit card back because my ID didn't say my initials instead of my name. I am not kidding. They had my card there, in their hands but they wouldn't hand it over because the name didn't "match". I showed them two other cards with that same format. No dice. They acted like this was super irregular and maybe I was committing some sort of fraud against a relative whose name was simply K. I was literally leaving the next morning for my grandmother's funeral. It was end of business day. That's relevant because I didn't have time to get a new debit card before my flight and most people like to have a way to get cash when they travel. Such stupidity and rigidity.

I have never darkened their door again.

This is what I've always thought too.  It would never occur to me to cash a check written to me at any bank other than my own (or a branch of my own).  If I'm not anywhere near my bank and I won't be for several days, then I mail the check to my bank.

My hometown bank is really wonderful though.  They will bend over backwards to help its customers.  Then again, they are a small bank serving a small town, and they know almost everybody.

My son chose a bank that is across the country for various reasons.  But when he wants to instantly deposit a check, he is able to take a digital picture of it and immediately send it to the bank, and it's as good as there.

This is what I've always thought too.  It would never occur to me to cash a check written to me at any bank other than my own (or a branch of my own).  If I'm not anywhere near my bank and I won't be for several days, then I mail the check to my bank.

Just to be clear... we're talking about cashing a check from the bank it was drawn on - not just "any" bank that happens to be nearby.

The bank is the place that "has" the money.  The check says that money is yours.  We can go to that bank, produce the check (signed correctly, etc) and get the cash.  If there isn't enough money in the account, they will tell you so and not cash the check (for free rather than either party getting a fee for the bad check).

Or we could deposit the check into our account at our bank and have them get the $$ from the original bank.

Just to be clear... we're talking about cashing a check from the bank it was drawn on - not just "any" bank that happens to be nearby.

The bank is the place that "has" the money.  The check says that money is yours.  We can go to that bank, produce the check (signed correctly, etc) and get the cash.  If there isn't enough money in the account, they will tell you so and not cash the check (for free rather than either party getting a fee for the bad check).

Or we could deposit the check into our account at our bank and have them get the $$ from the original bank.

Even that I had never heard of doing, but I understand what you're saying.  I would think in this case as long as you could produce enough identification, they would allow it.