Menu

Gentle romance novels for teens?

jenn-

Mrs. Mike

http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Mike-Benedict-Freedman-ebook/dp/B00FY5YB4C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391165228&sr=8-2&keywords=mrs.+mike

Janette Oke

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_sabc?url=search-alias%3Daps&pageMinusResults=1&suo=1391165329015#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=simple%20amish%20christmas&sprefix=simple+amish+%2Caps%2C176&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asimple%20amish%20christmas

But good luck keeping her away. I read the gentle stuff when my mom was looking, and read her not so gentle stuff when she wasn't. I figured if it was interesting enough to keep on the shelf, it was well worth checking out.  :rolleyes:

Has she read the Goose Girl and other books by Shannon Hale?  Each of her books has a sweet romance.  T

he Matched series by Ally Condie is cute.  The Fallen series by Lauren Kate was a big hit with my 15 year old, but the theology was a little wacky for me.  Basically anything YA seems to have a romance going through it...  I felt like the making out in Divergent was too heavy for my 12 year old to read.  My 15 yo and I recently read and enjoyed the Legend series....

I like Shannon Hale.

If she likes fairy tale rewrites, Jessica Day George has several with gentle romance (that isn't the sole focus).

If you don't mind Christian content, I liked Julie Klassen and Melanie Dickerson.  Both have romance, but were "clean" and had a story line of something that needed to be overcome or accomplished.

Is she up to Jane Austen?  P&P, S&S, Emma, Persuasion (my fave!) are all romantic.

I like Shannon Hale.

If she likes fairy tale rewrites, Jessica Day George has several with gentle romance (that isn't the sole focus).

If you don't mind Christian content, I liked Julie Klassen and Melanie Dickerson.  Both have romance, but were "clean" and had a story line of something that needed to be overcome or accomplished.

Is she up to Jane Austen?  P&P, S&S, Emma, Persuasion (my fave!) are all romantic.

Jane Austen is an excellent idea. Then, y'all can watch the movies together! 

I *loved* the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn when I was a teen. My sister & I would talk about them and my mom thought we were talking about kids we went to school with! Yeah, it was kind of sad.

There is quiet a bit of Christian content, which I'm usually opposed to, but in these books it wasn't preachy at all.

Mary Stewart is great. Dd loves those. Another thing to do is start a Goodreads account. It gives suggestions from what others have read and seems to judge dd 's taste pretty well. She has only been using this for a year and her suggested books frequently contain some that she has already enjoyed. It recommends old books too not just current popular ones.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  This all came up when I found her out of bed (2 hours after she was supposed to be asleep) reading a book that would not not have approved at any hour much less with the sneaking around aspect of it.  I figure it would be better to see if she likes something more appropriate to read during daylight hours.  Right now she still has an assigned novel she isn't through (online academy), so that is priority.  Keep the suggestions coming.  The local library is tiny, but I just discovered a huge use bookstore I can haul her off to in a couple of weeks.

My girls loved and treasured the following.  They are written for younger and are usually found in the YA or children's section.  They are good stories that have romance sprinkled in.  This way, you are avoiding all the fluff that comes with purely romantic titles.

Shannon Hale

Jessica Day George

Gail Carson Levine

(all of the above have many titles)

E.D. Baker

But good luck keeping her away. I read the gentle stuff when my mom was looking, and read her not so gentle stuff when she wasn't. I figured if it was interesting enough to keep on the shelf, it was well worth checking out. :rolleyes:

Same here. It wasn't the romance aspect of Mom's romances that drew me to sneak them off the shelf and read them on the sly. It was the bodice-ripper aspect.

If you can steer her towards another genre geared towards teens that may have male/female relationships in it, that might be better. A bit of romance, but not the sole focus. Dystopian literature is well known for this. Various Sci-Fi books are also.

This is what she is usually into reading.  I don't know where she suddenly decided she wanted a romance novel.  I think she just wanted to grab a mom book and read it.  She claims she had already tried reading one but found it boring and stopped so she was trying a different one.  I found the first of the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn on our digital library and checked it out.  If she puts a good faith effort into reading her assigned book, I will let her take her Kindle to Grandma's house this weekend and she can try it out. 

If she'd like something more contemporary, then Anna and the French Kiss or Lola and the Boy Next Door are YA books that's pretty tame.

Eleanor and Park just got a Printz honor and it's definitely a sort of brainy YA romance.

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist are also sort of brainy YA romance.

Sarah Dessen has a ton of YA books that have a romance element to them.

Some of the John Green books could be called romance.  Paper Towns in a lighter option than the cancer romance or the suicide romance ones.

Romance is sort of big in YA right now.  There are a bunch of YA romance authors I haven't read - like Gayle Foreman.  However, if it's YA, you can trust it won't be racy or overly graphic, though there may be s*x.

This may be odd, but if you are talking actual 'romance' books with scenes with bodices being ripped off, maybe you can try the Christian versions? I didn't know where was such a thing as "Christian Romance", and I accidentally picked one up at a used book store. It had all the romance without the s3x. I'm not Christian, but I enjoyed the book. 'Course, I went back to my regular romance books after that.... :lol:

I agree with a pp in that if your stuff is in the house, your dd will likely want to read it.

I *loved* the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn when I was a teen. My sister & I would talk about them and my mom thought we were talking about kids we went to school with! Yeah, it was kind of sad.

There is quiet a bit of Christian content, which I'm usually opposed to, but in these books it wasn't preachy at all.

I was obsessed with these. I think i kept them until I got married. :)

Tangentially:

I ruined my life when I read Flowers in the Attic when I was a young.  As I was minding my own business sitting around watching cable, a commercial popped up-- they made that horror show into a TV movie. I basically had a panic attack.  My dd said, "What is wrong with you?"  I literally cried, "That is the worst book ever written!"   "It's a book?"  Oh, man, I wish I had played it cool and just flipped the channel.  I am now afraid my reaction made her curious to enough to go hunting around the library for it.  Libraries don't carry that book anymore, right?  Right?

I am wondering how many young lives have been ruined by poorly hidden copies of Shades of Gray? (Which I did not read, mostly because of the book I mentioned above.)

I have read many V.C. Andrews books; I have not read Shades of Gray, but have read enough about it. How in the world are you connecting the two? Entirely different genres. V.C. Andrews is very American Gothic. Shades of Gray is erotica.

(the tv movie was horrible compared to the book...though you might find it blander and more acceptable compared to the book)

Tangentially:

I ruined my life when I read Flowers in the Attic when I was a young.  As I was minding my own business sitting around watching cable, a commercial popped up-- they made that horror show into a TV movie. I basically had a panic attack.  My dd said, "What is wrong with you?"  I literally cried, "That is the worst book ever written!"   "It's a book?"  Oh, man, I wish I had played it cool and just flipped the channel.  I am now afraid my reaction made her curious to enough to go hunting around the library for it.  Libraries don't carry that book anymore, right?  Right?

I am wondering how many young lives have been ruined by poorly hidden copies of Shades of Gray? (Which I did not read, mostly because of the book I mentioned above.)

My oldest dd heard so much about the Shades books that she downloaded them for free on her iPod. She was in tears telling me about it and says she wishes she could erase it all from her mind. She comes to me now to help research a book if seems to even have a hint of romance.